Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lin and Landry will be free agents this year

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Getting a long-ish term ML contract, that still sets him up for an in-his-prime MAX deal once it's over, isn't something he's going to sneeze at.
    I would have never thought of this. It's only his second season, so he might be willing to be patient. He's also gonna sell a lot of merchandise.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Unless Lin keeps up this precise level of play throughout the entire season and post-season (unlikely), I think signing him to a ML deal is extremely possible, and likely, even if he continues to be great (vs the ethereal level he is on now, which almost necessarily will decline some when Melo/STAT return).

Lin has little meaningful NBA or college pedigree, and has come out of nowhere to explode in the last week. NBA teams were dumping him like deuces at a bathroom stall a month ago.

IMO, we are (fortunately) off-kilter when we think teams (outside of a small handful, including us, and the Wolves, who have Rubio) would splash big, potentially franchise-crippling money longterm on him.

Likewise, there's always the league perception that players -- especially PGs -- have their play/stats elevated under D'antoni, and that they crash back to more normalcy shortly exiting a SSOL-positive environment.

And from Lin's perspective, he is in the most beloved basketball city he could play in, and was sleeping on a sofa bed as early as this past week.

Getting a long-ish term ML contract, that still sets him up for an in-his-prime MAX deal once it's over, isn't something he's going to sneeze at. Especially when playing for us would almost assure him of the huge $ deal he'd be poised for after a few seasons here.

Let's hope we can structure it so it coincides with Amare coming off the books; so, what, 3yr deal?
    Such resplendent posting, my good man.

Once Lin has played out his current contract, yes, an additional 3 years will see both Amar'e's and Melo's contracts completed.

Lin's current contract matches Fields', which is a non-guaranteed $762,195

Can a capologist please inform us as to the ideal approach in locking up Lin The Merciless?

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Such resplendent posting, my good man.

Once Lin has played out his current contract, yes, an additional 3 years will see both Amar'e's and Melo's contracts completed.

Lin's current contract matches Fields', which is a non-guaranteed $762,195

Can a capologist please inform us as to the ideal approach in locking up Lin The Merciless?
    Like I said earlier if he even puts up half of what he's averaging now other team's with cap space needing a PG will be all over him. I don't think he'll sign for the MLE if he gets double the offer from another team. He's from Harvard, he's smart enough to know what he's worth.

I hope I'm wrong but I might not be. If he stays on a 16 ppg 8-10 assists avg then I hope we find a way to package Stat for some depth and sign Lin to the longterm after the season. Lin is the closest thing I've seen to Rose, I doubt he'll come cheap.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Our Salary situation doesn't look good.
    $59,188,422
    and with Landry,Lin,Novak, Jared, Baron, Bibby, Bill becoming FA.
    IF
    we can't afford to keep lin or if James.L Dolan is not willing to go over the salary cap, than trade Lin while his value is high.

My dream scenario is for us to keep lin.
    We could go over cap like we did in 2006/07 but the new CBA enforce a new Luxury tax might make it hard for any owner be willing exceed the cap in 2013/2014 Season.

if he gets 10 mil elsewhere compared to 3-6 from us wouldnt endorsements make up for that difference?

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

If he keeps on playing this way, there is no way you'll see Lin play in another uniform because we got the Bird rights. Unless, of course, he decides to go for less money elsewhere like back home with GSW. Thats why he has to be treated right... Its not about money with this kid.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by portega1968
    If he keeps on playing this way, there is no way you'll see Lin play in another uniform because we got the Bird rights. Unless, of course, he decides to go for less money elsewhere like back home with GSW. Thats why he has to be treated right... Its not about money with this kid.

we can match any offer J Lin gets and we can go over the cap to do it..... not sure what the situation is with Landry tho.....

This article pretty much explains everything: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

LIN IS OURS FOR THE KEEPING

Lin will be a restricted free agent this summer, meaning that the Knicks can match any offer he receives without respect to the salary cap. So if the Knicks want to keep him in July, they have every means to do so.

The Knicks also own Lin’s “early-Bird” rights, which means they can offer him a starting salary up to the league average, about $5 million. If a team with cap room exceeds that figure, the restricted free agency rules allow the Knicks to match.

Veteran

Originally Posted by portega1968
    Starting PG for tHE KNICKS.....and Loves Dantonio's system.
    hes not going anywhere

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    This article pretty much explains everything: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    it says we can match any offer, then it says we can go up to 5 mil. which is it?

Lin loves it here, were the only team to give him the chance, he's had the games of his life so far in MSG, the fans love him he's having fun.

I dont think he'll leave because of money i think he really wants to be here id be shock if he left for more money, he's a humble kid that just wants to help his team win.

then again we gave shawn williams a chance and he left us for the nets so anything can happen.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Feb 11, 2012 at 13:14.

From what I read, Lin also has a lot of family in NY... another reason he might prioritize NY in general...
    don't forget he got CHINATOWN here in NYC aswell

Originally Posted by YuvalNYC
    From what I read, Lin also has a lot of family in NY... another reason he might prioritize NY in general...
    don't forget he got CHINATOWN here in NYC aswell
    i could see him preferring gsw...he said hes been a fan all his life and he grew up there (north cal i think) but obviously they wont be making an offer we cant match

IF Lin is going to be our potential Starting PG for the future, who do we look to go after in Free agency?

im thinking we sign a legit SG. Then build up our bench