We owe D"Antoni nothing

nixon7

Benchwarmer
The true Knick fans have been calling (on the message boards) for Lin, Novak, Balkman, and Jerome Jordan to get legitimate minutes from this reactionary coaching staff for months now. Yes, we feel gratified by the recent showing by Lin and Novak when D'Antoni was forced by events to change. But he still is slow to react and make in-game adjustments. Witness the Utah game, when Chandler gets in foul trouble and Jeffries almost fouls out trying to guard Jefferson in the paint. Bring in Jerome Jordan, scoring in the paint ceases, and the Knicks win. Does D'Antoni acknowledge Jordan's critical contribution to the win? No.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Lakers test

I will tell you one thing. We will get slaughtered by the Lakers big men if we do not play Jerome Jordan.

Can you even imagine Jeffries trying to deal with either Bynum or Gasol?

Can you imagine Chandler not getting into foul trouble without help from Jerome Jordan?

Especially with Amar'e and Harrellson out.

I would actually start Jordan at Center, and use Chandler at PF (guarding Gasol) to try to keep Chandler out of foul trouble. Problem is that knowing this is what will be required, I would have given Jordan major minutes in tonight's Wizards game getting him ready for this.

Another example of D'Antoni not acting like a real coach.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I agree. D'Antoni defenders are ridiculous.

He still doesn't play Balkman even though he showed good play in the little time he's gotten.

KingCharles34

All Star
I agree, Balkman should be playing. I still dont understand that...

And Nixon, I agree that Bynum will sh*t on Jeffries but i think Jared can slow down Pau...Pau's been slowing himself down these days. And is it official that Amare's gonna miss the Lakers game?

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Stat

If Stat wants to come back and play in the Laker game, more power to him.

I would be glad for him, even if he did nothing on the court.

Whatever helps him most is more important than the Knicks or the game.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Jeffries

Don't take it as anything against Jeffries.

I hope you are correct and he and Balkman can do something useful against Gasol, because we will need it even with Chandler and Jordan and even if Stat is back.

I just mean that Jeffries is not built to guard Bynum in the paint, and it is unfair to Jeffries to misuse him trying to do so.

This would be just as stupid as taking Toney Douglas who cannot see the floor while dribbling, and ask him to play the point guard position. Or taking a great finisher around the basket like Landry Fields and turn him into a three-point shooter, when you have Steve Novak on the bench.

portega1968

El Cacique
And is it official that Amare's gonna miss the Lakers game?

Amare returning to practice on Monday and officially missing Lakers and Wolves games this week (his brother's funeral is on Saturday)

Even if we lose these next two games (and I think the team we have can win them), I feel things are falling in place and Knicks are gonna beast when we have our big guns back.

As for Dantoni, we owe him crap other than the check he gets and thank you for your effort (and if we reach the playoffs and go deep into the postseason, we're willing to forget all the stupidity that undermined the few good things you have given this team). His offensive system is a hit when you have a player like Jeremy, but his stubborness the previous years regarding defense and adjusting for the players you have been given show he's no genius.

In other news, how many threads are we gonna have for hating the pringles logoman?

Kiyaman

Legend
Don't take it as anything against Jeffries.

I hope you are correct and he and Balkman can do something useful against Gasol, because we will need it even with Chandler and Jordan and even if Stat is back.

I just mean that Jeffries is not built to guard Bynum in the paint, and it is unfair to Jeffries to misuse him trying to do so.

This would be just as stupid as taking Toney Douglas who cannot see the floor while dribbling, and ask him to play the point guard position. Or taking a great finisher around the basket like Landry Fields and turn him into a three-point shooter, when you have Steve Novak on the bench.

Jefferies is not a 30 minute player vs Lakers & Wolves in a back to back....
coach Brown & coach Adelman are going to whip Dantoni like a child.
Our bench-player-team will have to take those two-losses like a man,
and tighten up their new found chemistry to beat the Raptors, Kings, and Hornets.
:crossfingers:
There is no-reason why "Tyson & Jordan" havnt been in a lineup together this
season....other then our headcoach being ignorant to coach twin-towers.
Dantoni's personal grudge against Balkman had alot to do with why coach
Karl DNP Balkman. Why the GM resigned a DNP Balkman is a mystery.

Truth be said....17 games ago we had a decent bench-lineup in....
Lin, Shump, Balkman, Jorts, and Jordan, to start the 2nd quarter of a game.
This bench-lineup wouldve gave all our starters rest on the bench at the
start of every 2nd quarter game.

The Orlando Magic record is 15-10
Why is the Knicks record 10-15

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Kiyaman wisdom

Nothing much to argue with there.

I expect the Knicks to lose to the Lakers, but I think we could be more competitive in the game by playing Balkman and Jordan proper minutes.

More to the point, I would use Jerome Jordan in this games even if he fails completely in it, because it would help his development as a player for Phil Jackson (or whomever) to use later on.

However, I do not see D'Antoni doing this. I think he would rather lose big than do this, for reasons I cannot fathom. He might even prefer to be fired than use the full roster properly or develop any legitimate backup center, it seems. He probably would have benched Patrick Ewing and Bill Russell for trying to post up rather than face the basket.

The Timberwolves I am not sure why we cannot beat them, but I could be wrong. I admit that I have not followed them much this year. We shall see.

Last edited:

DrB

Benchwarmer
Because

I will tell you one thing. We will get slaughtered by the Lakers big men if we do not play Jerome Jordan.

Can you even imagine Jeffries trying to deal with either Bynum or Gasol?

Can you imagine Chandler not getting into foul trouble without help from Jerome Jordan?

Especially with Amar'e and Harrellson out.

I would actually start Jordan at Center, and use Chandler at PF (guarding Gasol) to try to keep Chandler out of foul trouble. Problem is that knowing this is what will be required, I would have given Jordan major minutes in tonight's Wizards game getting him ready for this.

Another example of D'Antoni not acting like a real coach.

DUNCETONI is a SHMUCK....

TakMan

Rotation player
Jefferies is not a 30 minute player vs Lakers & Wolves in a back to back....
coach Brown & coach Adelman are going to whip Dantoni like a child.
Our bench-player-team will have to take those two-losses like a man,
and tighten up their new found chemistry to beat the Raptors, Kings, and Hornets.
:crossfingers:
There is no-reason why "Tyson & Jordan" havnt been in a lineup together this
season....other then our headcoach being ignorant to coach twin-towers.
Dantoni's personal grudge against Balkman had alot to do with why coach
Karl DNP Balkman. Why the GM resigned a DNP Balkman is a mystery.

Truth be said....17 games ago we had a decent bench-lineup in....
Lin, Shump, Balkman, Jorts, and Jordan, to start the 2nd quarter of a game.
This bench-lineup wouldve gave all our starters rest on the bench at the
start of every 2nd quarter game.

The Orlando Magic record is 15-10
Why is the Knicks record 10-15

Actually the Orlando Magic are not performing very well for a team that has kept its lineup intact from last year.

Have a look at the Knicks roster against the Wizards. Who was part of the setup last year?

I am convinced that the lack of PG's was detrimental to the Knicks' offence. I cannot think of one good team that plays without a decent PG. Miami is possibly one however they aint doing as well as many would expect either. Shumpert appears comfortable in his natural role, and with the return of Stoudamire and Anthony (who now will have a lot to prove considering the team's performances in their absence) I believe this team can get much further than many would like.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I agree Takman

I agree we will be better now that Lin has emerged, and really like the team once Stat, Amar'e, Davis, and Harrellson get back.

However, I still think we need a backup PG as Davis insurance, a backup center or two really (I think Jordan is one if we develop him more, but either do that or go get another, maybe even get another and develop him more).

And I still do not like D'Antoni being slow with the in-game detailed adjustments and aversion for real defense and a real half-court post-up game, once we do get to the elite level these issues will be the thing stopping us from winning it all.

I know we are a long way from this anyway, and fans would be happy - ecstatic really - with a second round exit in six or seven games.

Of course, the better they do the harder it will be to not renew D'Antoni, even for Phil Jackson as the replacement we all dream of.

mafra

Legend
With how putrid our PG play has been all season, we can certainyl question why it took our coach so long to give LIN a shot.

Anyway, this is more than D'antoni know. Phil Jax is waiting in the wings, and looking to get his hands on this Knicks team. The dude has the rings. He has the fact that he knows how to manage stars in his favor.

Sure, we may sacrifice having a legit coach in 3 years from now. I doubt Jackson would be anything more than a 2-3 year HC here in NY. But if it gets us 1 title, so be it!

If Lin is legit. He turns him into Steve Nash, MDA might survive here for 8 years. But I don't want to be good, or very good... I want GREATNESS. I want a championship.

Ph Jax delivers. With all things being equal, why reup MDA when we KNOW Jax can win a title.

KingofNy

Starter
5-Star Thread. People need to realize Lin saved this season, not Dumbtoni. If anything Dumbtoni continues to hurt it. I've counted about 5 timeouts he called in the last two games when we were on at least a 8-0 run. Why waste a timeout when our opponents going to call one in the next 30 seconds anyways?

nyk_nyk

All Star
With how putrid our PG play has been all season, we can certainyl question why it took our coach so long to give LIN a shot.

Anyway, this is more than D'antoni know. Phil Jax is waiting in the wings, and looking to get his hands on this Knicks team. The dude has the rings. He has the fact that he knows how to manage stars in his favor.

Sure, we may sacrifice having a legit coach in 3 years from now. I doubt Jackson would be anything more than a 2-3 year HC here in NY. But if it gets us 1 title, so be it!

If Lin is legit. He turns him into Steve Nash, MDA might survive here for 8 years. But I don't want to be good, or very good... I want GREATNESS. I want a championship.

Ph Jax delivers. With all things being equal, why reup MDA when we KNOW Jax can win a title.

Agreed. Lin was simply thrown in by desperation. This has more to do with Lin's skill level than the "system" we supposedly run. Antoni is still suspect IMO and does not get an automatic pass just because he was forced to kick over a rock and discovered Lin. The rock has always been in front of him to explore and as usual, he refused. The same thing is crurrently happening with Jordan. Ever wonder why Jorts has been given a chance way before Jordan? Jorts played a few years of college and only had 1 good year. On the other hand, Jordan played pro ball overseas and must have learned a few things right?. What happens here? Antoni gives Jorts the nod because he discovers he can shoot 3s. That's backward thinking if you're a coach.

Anyway, don't want to completely focus on that but that's just one of my reasons for still wanting Antoni gone.

skisloper

Starter
Agreed. Lin was simply thrown in by desperation. This has more to do with Lin's skill level than the "system" we supposedly run. Antoni is still suspect IMO and does not get an automatic pass just because he was forced to kick over a rock and discovered Lin. The rock has always been in front of him to explore and as usual, he refused. The same thing is crurrently happening with Jordan. Ever wonder why Jorts has been given a chance way before Jordan? Jorts played a few years of college and only had 1 good year. On the other hand, Jordan played pro ball overseas and must have learned a few things right?. What happens here? Antoni gives Jorts the nod because he discovers he can shoot 3s. That's backward thinking if you're a coach.

Anyway, don't want to completely focus on that but that's just one of my reasons for still wanting Antoni gone.

Dude LIN played when the time was right......Shump could not handle it...Bibby injured all the time and he gave up on TD...

as for Jordan how can u complain...JOSH had an immediate impact...Jordan looks a bit lost out there....

its almost like verything and anything dantonio does even if its right is for the wrong reasons....

nyk_nyk

All Star
Dude LIN played when the time was right......Shump could not handle it...Bibby injured all the time and he gave up on TD...

as for Jordan how can u complain...JOSH had an immediate impact...Jordan looks a bit lost out there....

its almost like verything and anything dantonio does even if its right is for the wrong reasons....

When the time was right?? So you mean not during that horrible losing streak? LOL

I CAN complain about Jordan because the only reason Josh had an impact was becasue he was given a chance once it was discovered that he could shoot 3s. I guess its too bad all Jordan could do as a 7 footer was rebound and play a little defense. Dude NEVER ever got a decent chance! Garbage minutes is not a fair chance. You are supposed to groom your 2nd string center.

There were times when Jorts looked lost as well but guess what, he was given even more minutes to correct things. Glad to know you're basing the talent of Jordan off pure garbage minutes. Actually I can remember him doing some good things during the 2-3 minutes he was out there. At least things to build on.

Every rookie will look a bit lost at times but you don't use that as an excuse not to develop the talent they have. I guarantee you give Jordan a solid 10 min every game and by seasons end his value will soar. Having two 7 footers available use to be of high importance in the NBA but I guess this euro ball doesn't value it the same way.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Yes and

This is not about Jorts vs. Jordan.

I am about finding out what all 15 players on the roster have to offer. What they are good at. What they are not good at. At working to improve where possible. And then about using them in a way that plays to their strengths, covers up their weaknesses, and helps with the improvement process.

I do not believe that anyone on an NBA roster is a total scrub. They all have something to offer, some reason the GM added them.

That is the problem I have with playing people out of position, asking them to do things they are not good at, because of a predetermined system, rather than adjusting the system to fit the players and the opponent.

That is the problem I have with a 7 or 8 man rotation where 7 or 8 plays 20 minutes when they are the coaches' pet but then DNP for the next few weeks.

I do not think Jerome Jordan is the second coming of Bill Russell. I just think he has some skills and size the Knicks lack when Chandler is on the bench, or playing with fouls. Jorts has some different skills more in the backup PF role than in the backup center role, and is out another month anyway.

I have no idea who could guard Bynum and/or Gasol better until we see them all match up. All I am saying is that Chandler and Jeffries will need some help against Bynum and Gasol tonight and that Jordan is the best option we have for that specific need.

The same goes for Balkman, as well as it went for Novak and Lin when they were sitting on the bench. For that matter, the same goes for Douglas, who I hated at point guard, but can contribute at SG against the right opponents.