Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: We owe D"Antoni nothing

  1. #16
    Veteran KingofNy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    5-Star Thread. People need to realize Lin saved this season, not Dumbtoni. If anything Dumbtoni continues to hurt it. I've counted about 5 timeouts he called in the last two games when we were on at least a 8-0 run. Why waste a timeout when our opponents going to call one in the next 30 seconds anyways?

  2. #17
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    With how putrid our PG play has been all season, we can certainyl question why it took our coach so long to give LIN a shot.

    Anyway, this is more than D'antoni know. Phil Jax is waiting in the wings, and looking to get his hands on this Knicks team. The dude has the rings. He has the fact that he knows how to manage stars in his favor.

    Sure, we may sacrifice having a legit coach in 3 years from now. I doubt Jackson would be anything more than a 2-3 year HC here in NY. But if it gets us 1 title, so be it!

    If Lin is legit. He turns him into Steve Nash, MDA might survive here for 8 years. But I don't want to be good, or very good... I want GREATNESS. I want a championship.

    Ph Jax delivers. With all things being equal, why reup MDA when we KNOW Jax can win a title.
    Agreed. Lin was simply thrown in by desperation. This has more to do with Lin's skill level than the "system" we supposedly run. Antoni is still suspect IMO and does not get an automatic pass just because he was forced to kick over a rock and discovered Lin. The rock has always been in front of him to explore and as usual, he refused. The same thing is crurrently happening with Jordan. Ever wonder why Jorts has been given a chance way before Jordan? Jorts played a few years of college and only had 1 good year. On the other hand, Jordan played pro ball overseas and must have learned a few things right?. What happens here? Antoni gives Jorts the nod because he discovers he can shoot 3s. That's backward thinking if you're a coach.

    Anyway, don't want to completely focus on that but that's just one of my reasons for still wanting Antoni gone.

  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Agreed. Lin was simply thrown in by desperation. This has more to do with Lin's skill level than the "system" we supposedly run. Antoni is still suspect IMO and does not get an automatic pass just because he was forced to kick over a rock and discovered Lin. The rock has always been in front of him to explore and as usual, he refused. The same thing is crurrently happening with Jordan. Ever wonder why Jorts has been given a chance way before Jordan? Jorts played a few years of college and only had 1 good year. On the other hand, Jordan played pro ball overseas and must have learned a few things right?. What happens here? Antoni gives Jorts the nod because he discovers he can shoot 3s. That's backward thinking if you're a coach.

    Anyway, don't want to completely focus on that but that's just one of my reasons for still wanting Antoni gone.
    Dude LIN played when the time was right......Shump could not handle it...Bibby injured all the time and he gave up on TD...

    as for Jordan how can u complain...JOSH had an immediate impact...Jordan looks a bit lost out there....

    its almost like verything and anything dantonio does even if its right is for the wrong reasons....

  4. #19
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by skisloper
    Dude LIN played when the time was right......Shump could not handle it...Bibby injured all the time and he gave up on TD...

    as for Jordan how can u complain...JOSH had an immediate impact...Jordan looks a bit lost out there....

    its almost like verything and anything dantonio does even if its right is for the wrong reasons....
    When the time was right?? So you mean not during that horrible losing streak? LOL

    I CAN complain about Jordan because the only reason Josh had an impact was becasue he was given a chance once it was discovered that he could shoot 3s. I guess its too bad all Jordan could do as a 7 footer was rebound and play a little defense. Dude NEVER ever got a decent chance! Garbage minutes is not a fair chance. You are supposed to groom your 2nd string center.

    There were times when Jorts looked lost as well but guess what, he was given even more minutes to correct things. Glad to know you're basing the talent of Jordan off pure garbage minutes. Actually I can remember him doing some good things during the 2-3 minutes he was out there. At least things to build on.

    Every rookie will look a bit lost at times but you don't use that as an excuse not to develop the talent they have. I guarantee you give Jordan a solid 10 min every game and by seasons end his value will soar. Having two 7 footers available use to be of high importance in the NBA but I guess this euro ball doesn't value it the same way.

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    334
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Yes and

    This is not about Jorts vs. Jordan.

    I am about finding out what all 15 players on the roster have to offer. What they are good at. What they are not good at. At working to improve where possible. And then about using them in a way that plays to their strengths, covers up their weaknesses, and helps with the improvement process.

    I do not believe that anyone on an NBA roster is a total scrub. They all have something to offer, some reason the GM added them.

    That is the problem I have with playing people out of position, asking them to do things they are not good at, because of a predetermined system, rather than adjusting the system to fit the players and the opponent.

    That is the problem I have with a 7 or 8 man rotation where 7 or 8 plays 20 minutes when they are the coaches' pet but then DNP for the next few weeks.

    I do not think Jerome Jordan is the second coming of Bill Russell. I just think he has some skills and size the Knicks lack when Chandler is on the bench, or playing with fouls. Jorts has some different skills more in the backup PF role than in the backup center role, and is out another month anyway.

    I have no idea who could guard Bynum and/or Gasol better until we see them all match up. All I am saying is that Chandler and Jeffries will need some help against Bynum and Gasol tonight and that Jordan is the best option we have for that specific need.

    The same goes for Balkman, as well as it went for Novak and Lin when they were sitting on the bench. For that matter, the same goes for Douglas, who I hated at point guard, but can contribute at SG against the right opponents.

  6. #21
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    This is not about Jorts vs. Jordan.

    I am about finding out what all 15 players on the roster have to offer. What they are good at. What they are not good at. At working to improve where possible. And then about using them in a way that plays to their strengths, covers up their weaknesses, and helps with the improvement process.

    I do not believe that anyone on an NBA roster is a total scrub. They all have something to offer, some reason the GM added them.

    That is the problem I have with playing people out of position, asking them to do things they are not good at, because of a predetermined system, rather than adjusting the system to fit the players and the opponent.

    That is the problem I have with a 7 or 8 man rotation where 7 or 8 plays 20 minutes when they are the coaches' pet but then DNP for the next few weeks.

    I do not think Jerome Jordan is the second coming of Bill Russell. I just think he has some skills and size the Knicks lack when Chandler is on the bench, or playing with fouls. Jorts has some different skills more in the backup PF role than in the backup center role, and is out another month anyway.

    I have no idea who could guard Bynum and/or Gasol better until we see them all match up. All I am saying is that Chandler and Jeffries will need some help against Bynum and Gasol tonight and that Jordan is the best option we have for that specific need.

    The same goes for Balkman, as well as it went for Novak and Lin when they were sitting on the bench. For that matter, the same goes for Douglas, who I hated at point guard, but can contribute at SG against the right opponents.
    Everything you said was on point. This is obviously a flaw with Antoni IMO. It seems he designates minutes per player and sticks with it unless an injury occurs. Not much wrong with that but you have to know when to adjust for the opponent or when a player may be off their game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •