D'antoni needs to monitor Tyson's minutes or....

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
In the wake of all these players going down in injury D'antoni really needs to take a hard look in the usage of Tyson Chandler. This lockout shortened season is taking its toll on ever team in different ways.

I want people to look at this and I truly hope for the best. For example look at Tyson Chandler and his minutes and usage.

Last year on Dallas he averaged 27:48 minutes per in a regular 82 game season.

This year he is averaging 33:36 a game in a 66 game condensed season. He hasn't averaged this many minutes since the 2007-2008 season when he played for New Orleans. Now 6 minutes a game may not seem like a lot but over a seaon thats a lot of basketball.

Last year he played a total of 2,059 minutes in a 74 game span.

This year he is on pace to play about 2,200 mintues over a 66 game span.

Now I understand some of you may think okay 8 games a hundred or so minutes may not sound like much but in a condesed season its much more brutal. He is playing 4 games in four nights at a much higher per mintue average.

Tyson does turn 30 this year and if I'm not mistaken he does have 4 or 3 years left on his contract. He also missed a significant amount of games in the 08-09 season and 09-10 season.

I just hope D'antoni doesn't run Tyson to the ground. He needs to rest him and try to find games where he could sit out.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
I guess my question is, do any of you guys see this possibly leading down a bad road?

With Harrelson nearing return will Tysons minutes come down?

Scipio

Benchwarmer
This is classic Dumbphoney. Even when we have a fully fit roster playing in a normal length season he overplays his starters, every year it`s the same with his stupid 8 man rotation.

Granted, at the moment, we have a condensed roster because of injuries but when Jorts,`Melo, and Amare are back he will still play a short rotation and come the playoffs, if we get there, our starters will be exhausted.

Playing a short rotation in a normal length season is bad enough but this season doing it is a crime. He won`t change, he`ll just keep running our players into the ground.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
D'Antoni simply misuses Harrellson and downplays Jordan.

Chandler has "injuryful" past and we should really pay attention to his health. We've got two young bigs we should make use of, but our coaching staff doesn't understand how to lead a rookie center into the NBA world. Harrellson isn't meant to become a three point threat and Jordan isn't professional bench warmer at all. Ewing hasn't only coached Howard who's now the best center in the league, he also taught Gortat, then back up center in Orlando, now one of the best centers in the West (ranked 3rd by Hollinger). We need this kind of mentor for our big men. Harrellson and Jordan can both become rebounding machines and great defenders, it's absolutely incomprehensible to me why D'Antoni misuses and underestimates them.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
D'Antoni simply misuses Harrellson and downplays Jordan.

Chandler has "injuryful" past and we should really pay attention to his health. We've got two young bigs we should make use of, but our coaching staff doesn't understand how to lead a rookie center into the NBA world. Harrellson isn't meant to become a three point threat and Jordan isn't professional bench warmer at all. Ewing hasn't only coached Howard who's now the best center in the league, he also taught Gortat, then back up center in Orlando, now one of the best centers in the West (ranked 3rd by Hollinger). We need this kind of mentor for our big men. Harrellson and Jordan can both become rebounding machines and great defenders, it's absolutely incomprehensible to me why D'Antoni misuses and underestimates them.

A man with no job security will do irrational things. I will say I'm kind of worried he will run the players to the ground. Its a lot of basketball for a 7 footer with an injury history to be playing

He has no other choice folks!

Especially with Melo and Amar'e away from the team/injured/struggling.

Chandler is our leader and best player, we don't have too many bigs on this roster - D'Antoni has no choice. Those who claim Jerome Jordan should get more minutes in place of Chandler are insane, Jordan is a foul prone rookie, he can't replace Chandler by any means, especially in terms of intimidation. A lot of people in the league think twice when Chandler is guarding the paint, nobody is afraid of Jerome Jordan.

Tyson is in great shape too, he'll be ok - don't worry.

If we had another prven center like Dallas had in Haywood, I'd say play Chandler less, but we don't have one.

And don't answer me back or you'll get tackled by Justin Tuck :teeth:

TakMan

Rotation player
Are people really still insisting on Jordan getting minutes. He just looks lost out there. What he gives in hustle he takes away two fold in lack of talent. He'll be alright in garbage time but I doubt we'll get too many games with that situation anyways.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
He has no other choice folks!

Especially with Melo and Amar'e away from the team/injured/struggling.

Chandler is our leader and best player, we don't have too many bigs on this roster - D'Antoni has no choice. Those who claim Jerome Jordan should get more minutes in place of Chandler are insane, Jordan is a foul prone rookie, he can't replace Chandler by any means, especially in terms of intimidation. A lot of people in the league think twice when Chandler is guarding the paint, nobody is afraid of Jerome Jordan.

If we had another prven center like Dallas had in Haywood, I'd say play Chandler less, but we don't have one.

And don't answer me back or you'll get tackled by Justin Tuck :teeth:

the only way we'll get teams to fear jj is to play him. he's made some plays in the three minutes he's gotten. with stat and jorts there are 5 guys capable of playing center, 4 i trust to at least make opposing centers work for points. obviously the backup wont be as good, otherwise tyson wouldnt be making 14 mil. by that logic kobe, lebron, wade, dwight, etc should play 48 minutes a night.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Yes, Jordan deserves minutes, period

Despite the total lack of playing time Jordan still has a decent PER.

Lin looked just as lost when he was just getting garbage minutes, and look at how he came along when given a real chance.

Jorts also took a while to hit a stride, and admitted he was nervous at first.

There is no way that they will not need Jordan tonight to help out on Gasol and Bynum. And that is why it is just plain dumb to not prepare for this inevitable night, by playing him more in games against weaker opponents.

I hope Jordan plays well tonight. But if he does, it will be luck, because D'Antoni has not properly prepared him for it.

the only way we'll get teams to fear jj is to play him. he's made some plays in the three minutes he's gotten. with stat and jorts there are 5 guys capable of playing center, 4 i trust to at least make opposing centers work for points. obviously the backup wont be as good, otherwise tyson wouldnt be making 14 mil. by that logic kobe, lebron, wade, dwight, etc should play 48 minutes a night.

Not true, the Lakers used to have solid backups for Kobe (Shannon Brown, Vujabitch, Kareem Rush, Devean George etc.) Orlando had Gortat as backup for Dwight, Miami have Mike Miller, Shane Battier etc.

Like I said, if we had somebody like Brandon Haywood who's a pretty good backup, Tyson was playing less minutes.

The only reasonable center options we got are Tyson and Jerome Jordan and Jordan is a foul-prone rookie. Maybe Jeffries against shorter teams, but I see Jeffries more as a PF. Jorts at center didn't work at all the few times D'Antoni tried it early in the season. Jorts is really a PF in this league. He used to be a center in college, not in the NBA, his lack of athleticism/size disqualifies him for the center position in the NBA, he's a pretty good backup PF though, like Jeffries.

And Amar'e at center is well documented from last season, I won't comment on that at all, cause I promised guys on here to keep quiet. One thing though, Amar'e at center was the reason we signed CHandler...that should answer that question :thumbsup:

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Chandler is our leader and best player, we don't have too many bigs on this roster - D'Antoni has no choice. Those who claim Jerome Jordan should get more minutes in place of Chandler are insane, Jordan is a foul prone rookie, he can't replace Chandler by any means, especially in terms of intimidation...

I worry, hence why I still push for Jordan to get minutes. Those are minutes are investments for Jordan to learn, and minutes for Chandler to rest. I don't expect Jordan to have a breakout season, or even a breakout game, I just want him to buy some time, absorb some fouls. I do NOT expect a Haywood, or even Gortat, levels of play. Maybe in the future, he'll be that backup Center for us.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Not true, the Lakers used to have solid backups for Kobe (Shannon Brown, Vujabitch, Kareem Rush, Devean George etc.) Orlando had Gortat as backup for Dwight, Miami have Mike Miller, Shane Battier etc.

Like I said, if we had somebody like Brandon Haywood who's a pretty good backup, Tyson was playing less minutes.

The only reasonable center options we got are Tyson and Jerome Jordan and Jordan is a foul-prone rookie. Maybe Jeffries against shorter teams, but I see Jeffries more as a PF. Jorts at center didn't work at all the few times D'Antoni tried it early in the season. Jorts is really a PF in this league. He used to be a center in college, not in the NBA, his lack of athleticism/size disqualifies him for the center position in the NBA, he's a pretty good backup PF though, like Jeffries.

And Amar'e at center is well documented from last season, I won't comment on that at all, cause I promised guys on here to keep quiet. One thing though, Amar'e at center was the reason we signed CHandler...that should answer that question :thumbsup:

jordan has been a million times better than some of the other guys mike loves to take minutes away from starters for. billy walker, td....those are SERIOUS dropoffs at the pg and sf position. jordan hasnt been bad, certainly not bad enough for anyone to say he cant be a legit backup center, and like i said he's made a couple nice plays, working hard for rebounds and blocking a shot or two. i dont know what games you guys were watching where jordan did nothing. maybe you dont watch every game and just hate on him for not filling up a box score.

bottom line, whether he's good enough to play center in the nba or not, jordan has not come close to getting the chances he deserves.