Pre GT Knicks V Lakers Discussion.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
JPZ17 is late with his thread again.

Either that or he's forgotten again.

Looking for discussion about the big game.

here's the preview:

carousel_LakersGameday_460_120209.jpg

Jeremy Lin?s emergence from utter obscurity has the New York Knicks gaining confidence and victories.

Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers are rarely lacking in either of those categories.

A budding fan favorite among the faithful at Madison Square Garden, Lin faces possibly his toughest test yet Friday night as the Knicks attempt to defeat Bryant and the Lakers at home for the first time in more than five years.

New York (11-15) was one of the NBA?s biggest disappointments during a woeful 2-11 stretch Jan. 12-Feb. 3, but Lin has provided a much-needed spark since then.

The second-year point guard, who played only sparingly prior to the last three games, is averaging 25.3 points and 8.3 assists during the Knicks? three-game winning streak.

Lin?s opportunity has come amid the absence of Knicks stars Carmelo Anthony and Amar?e Stoudemire. Anthony is out with a strained right groin, while Stoudemire isn?t expected back from grieving the death of his brother until Tuesday at Toronto.

In the meantime, Lin?s sudden production and popularity has the Knicks selling shirts with ?Linsanity? emblazoned across the front.

He lived up to the hype again Wednesday, scoring 23 points while shooting 9 of 14 from the floor and adding 10 assists in a 107-93 win at Washington.

?Like I said after the last game, I wouldn?t have imagined this,? said Lin, who went undrafted out of Harvard in 2010 and played his rookie season with Golden State, averaging 2.6 points in 29 games as a reserve.

Lin may be reviving both the Knicks? season and embattled coach Mike D?Antoni?s job security.

?I think it?s for real,? D?Antoni said of Lin?s surge. ?The things that are real are his vision, which won?t change; his speed, which won?t change; his knowledge of the game, which won?t change. I think it can only get better.

?He just does everything easy and the rest of the guys around him are playing the way we want to play.?

Lin and the Knicks, who are looking to match their season-high four game winning streak from Jan. 6-11, are in for a major test against the Lakers (15-11).

The Knicks have lost nine in a row to Los Angeles, including four straight at MSG. They fell 99-82 in Los Angeles on Dec. 29, when Lin scored two points in 1:40 of playing time.

Bryant, the league leader with 29.2 points per game, has averaged 33.4 points during the Lakers? nine-game winning streak in this series. He?s averaging an incredible 40.0 points in his last four visits to New York, including a 33-point effort in a 113-96 victory last Feb. 11.

Teammate Pau Gasol had 25 points, 14 rebounds and two blocks Thursday as the Lakers won 88-87 in overtime at Boston. One of the blocks came at the final buzzer to secure the victory.

?I?ve been in situations before in my career where you freeze ? catch yourself looking at the ball and end up losing the game,? Gasol said.

Gasol is averaging 26.8 points and 9.0 rebounds in his last four road games against the Knicks.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
@Crazy: have you looked at your clock? It's around 7.5 hours before the tip-off...

Well aware of that, but considering the static on the board over the last week, and the fact that the Lakers are coming to town, promptness is next to Linlyness.

That, and I enjoy getting on JPZ's ass about game threads because he's an ?ber nazi about them himself.

You weren't here for that, though. Funny stuff:lol:

Reactions: CA7

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
This can be a huge game for Lin. The Laker guards and Lakers in general have a hard time guarding penetrating point guards such as Lin. (Reason why didn't advance far in the playoffs and most of thier problems this year) Rondo had a field day last night too.

Jerome Jordan can possibly get a lot of minutes too. Jefferies guarding Gasol will be tough and he'll probably get in foul trouble.

Last time we played the score was 82-99.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I think this game will be some what low scoring with the Lakers not trying to let Lin get to the Rim. Look for lots of hard fouls and either a late push from Kobe or a Knick 3pointer shooter to win the game. :gony::gony:

portega1968

El Cacique
Lakers come in very confident based on what they did to us last game where they dominated us throughout without Bynum in the lineup. Their pick and roll defense had been hurting them since the beginning of the season, but they have adjusted and will be looking to force Lin away from the basket.

Chandler has it tough tonight with Bynum and Gasol down low, and us with not much to back him up. I don't see coach putting in Jerome Jordan. Jeffries defense on Gasol, who has been very effective recently, will be a difference maker. Artest will be a threat to a penetrating Lin finding Walker and Novak for key bombs. Shump must be able to make Kobe uncomfortable to give us some leverage.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Crazy⑧s;204506 said:
Well aware of that, but considering the static on the board over the last week, and the fact that the Lakers are coming to town, promptness is next to Linlyness.

That, and I enjoy getting on JPZ's ass about game threads because he's an ?ber nazi about them himself.

You weren't here for that, though. Funny stuff:lol:

you are so repped

CA7

Scoring Champ
Not being a Lin hater but this is where I wanna see what he really has, a lot of hype going on and I dont wanna get my hopes on him which is why I'm letting this play out before I say anything

LA has a great frontline and Kobe, Fisher and World Peace are great defenders, if Lin can just go for 15 and 8 I'll take that

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
Kobe, Fisher and WorldPeace are NOT great defenders. Kobe and Meta were great defenders, Fisher was NEVER a great defender.
But i do agree that Lin has a different and difficult task ahead of him. Im looking forward to how he handles the midrange game. Once he gets by the primary defender or doesnt get picked up on the pick and roll, he wont be able to go all the way to the rim against the lakers. And if the lakers stay at home on the shooters, Lin has gotta bring that midrange Toney Parker tear drop or 12 foot pull up, else, he'll have a hard time putting up points or distributing.

Not being a Lin hater but this is where I wanna see what he really has, a lot of hype going on and I dont wanna get my hopes on him which is why I'm letting this play out before I say anything

LA has a great frontline and Kobe, Fisher and World Peace are great defenders, if Lin can just go for 15 and 8 I'll take that

Doesn't matter what the final boxscore will look like, I'm eagerly anticipating this game and supporting our guys like crazy!

I know they'll fight hard, just like they did against Utah and Washington and I know they'll give their very best.

A win against these Lakers would be nothing short of sensational and a major upset!

Either way, unconditional love for THIS particular group of Knicks.

Let's go Knicks!!! :gony:

p0nder

Starter
Gotta see what Lin can do against a top notch defensive team like the lakers. It's fine to drop 25 and 9 on the likes of the wizards and nets but a totally different ball game against a championship caliber opponent. With jorts, Amar'e and melo out our front line is going to be hurting against bynum and gasol. Gotta hope for a big game from Lin and (yes) Jeffereies. Tyson needs to bring his A game here and I know he'll be looking to lead us on the glass but you can realistically only box out one person at a time. Hopefully people like Lin and Fields can pick up some of those boards and take the pressure off our big man. I think you'll see Novakane out there a fair bit if he can nail a 3 or 2 early.

If Lin can torch the lakers like he has the past three teams then i'm gonna have to go full out LINsane. The guy is sparking something special with the knicks right now and I gotta hope it continues.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Doesn't matter what the final boxscore will look like, I'm eagerly anticipating this game and supporting our guys like crazy!

I know they'll fight hard, just like they did against Utah and Washington and I know they'll give their very best.

A win against these Lakers would be nothing short of sensational and a major upset!

Either way, unconditional love for THIS particular group of Knicks.

Let's go Knicks!!! :gony:

didnt you say you were dont with this shit? theyre good right now, they'll be very good or better with stat and melo.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Gotta see what Lin can do against a top notch defensive team like the lakers. It's fine to drop 25 and 9 on the likes of the wizards and nets but a totally different ball game against a championship caliber opponent. With jorts, Amar'e and melo out our front line is going to be hurting against bynum and gasol. Gotta hope for a big game from Lin and (yes) Jeffereies. Tyson needs to bring his A game here and I know he'll be looking to lead us on the glass but you can realistically only box out one person at a time. Hopefully people like Lin and Fields can pick up some of those boards and take the pressure off our big man. I think you'll see Novakane out there a fair bit if he can nail a 3 or 2 early.

If Lin can torch the lakers like he has the past three teams then i'm gonna have to go full out LINsane. The guy is sparking something special with the knicks right now and I gotta hope it continues.

opposing pgs wont really get tougher than deron williams...im sick of people saying it was just the nets. if tyson goes off on orlando thats a HUGE deal even if theyre 5-15.

p0nder

Starter
@amazinz5:

For a C or PF I think the match up on defense is much more man-to-man, opposing PF/C based then an when looking at PG's games. His rebounds are mostly tied to how well he is positioning with his man. His points come from those boards and from being able to get open against that man.

In order for Lin to have big assists he needs to find the open man off of dribble drives into the lane and pick'n'roll with his man. Some teams defend the p'n'r better then others, and it's usually more dependant on the help defense then the point of attack (ala. PG's defense). In order to get points Lin needs to finish at the rim. In washington they just don't protect the rim or the lane very well. The nets have decent perimeter defense on the pg/sg but allow him to get inside and create havoc.

And as a unit these teams are not on the same level as the Lakers. Sure deron is a pretty good defender in 1 on 1 situations, but when looking at defensive ratings and opposing PG's numbers there is a reason why the lakers tend to do better against opposing PG's then the nets and it's not because fischer is a better defender then deron.

KingCharles34

All Star
Cant wait to see Derek Fisher hanging on the wall of Lin's Conquest Gallery!!!

lol thats a guarantee, Lin would have to do basically nothing all game for Fisher to outplay him. Nahhh Fish aint that bad, hes a solid point guard that doesnt turn the ball over, uses his strength effectively to guard shooting guards or point guards as long as they're not really fast, is clutch and hits big shots in the 4th quarter of games. Hes a good teammate but Jeremy Lin not only gets the wins but he puts up stats as well. Stat would be a better nickname for Lin, Amarknee should fork that nickname over to him.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Lin is prob gonna destroy Fisher, but I fully expect Bynum and Pau to dominate as for Kobe he loves playing in the Garden Fields and Shump better get that Vaseline ready cause their gonna get raped tonight.