Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: How good can this team be?

  1. #1
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default How good can this team be?

    if Melo and Stat buy in?

    Do we still need another coach?

    Personally I don't know if we do any more. My main problem with the Knicks was fourfold.

    1) Lack of heart - No hustle, bad attitudes and a "Melo and Stat will do it all" mentality.
    At the same time Melo and Stat are competing with each other rather than working together to be part of a cohesive unit. Jorts is a player who I believe also helps in this department.

    2) Lack of ball movement and movement off the ball. Lin has sorted this out sure but it's not that simple. Chandler is improving massively as an offensive threat, Fields and Shumpert's movement seems to improve by the game.

    3) Lack of defense - As big to the Knicks as the start of the Lin Dynasty has been the defensive play of Bill Walker, Jared Jeffries and Tyson Chandler and when you see Steve Novak facing up Pau Gasol and getting the steal then you know it's rubbing off in a good way. We've got high energy and smart defense all over the court now so there are very few easy baskets for teams and when you have Lin beasting at the same time we're at this moment a match for anyone.

    4) Lack of leadership - Lin and Chandler are clearly the leaders of this team now and thought different in style they compliment each other well and the others seem happy to follow them.
    The ball movement and PG is down to MDA. Sure he got lucky but sometimes you need a little luck and he's using Lin brilliantly and the offense as a whole is improving by the game and that's not ALL down to Lin because Lin is learning as well. It's a great mentoring job so far from MDA and credit is due.

    Defensively? Yeah this isn't down to MDA at all. When I hear statements like the one he came out with about JJ then I know that we're moving in the right direction.

    So whose name hasn't come up who is I believe at the centre of this revolution?

    MIKE WOODSON.

    The whole persona of this team has changed and even it seems the attitude of the coach and that can't just be a coincidence. I believe that MDA has bought into Woodson and so have the players and when you've got a player like Chandler to lead that defense, you've got someone who can carry that message home.

    Melo and Amar'e should NOT be allowed to just walk back into this team and resume their sub par attitude and performances. They will have to adapt, realise they arn't the be all and end all any more and buy in. If they do that we could be frightening. If they don't the only question will be what kind of package we should look to accept for them.

  2. #2
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    As long as you have Lin, you win.

  3. #3
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    The Knicks will be championship contenders next year, if they fire Antoni.
    That's too much of an opportunity to pass up. Antoni's gotta go.

    Jeremy Lin is the new head coach of the Knicks.

  4. #4
    Veteran knicksin60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,673
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    If Lin can't make Melo and Stat play to an elite level I don't think Chris Paul would have.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    The Knicks will be championship contenders next year, if they fire Antoni.
    That's too much of an opportunity to pass up. Antoni's gotta go.

    Jeremy Lin is the new head coach of the Knicks.
    dude you gotta stop with this ****...hes 4-0 with a pg this year.

  6. #6
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksin60
    If Lin can't make Melo and Stat play to an elite level I don't think Chris Paul would have.
    Agree with this. It's not down to the PG position any more, it's down to them and if they are prepared to adapt to survive.

    I don't' care how bad offensively JJ, Walker, Jorts etc are I'd rather see them out there working as a unit than go back to watching Melo and Amar'e jack up stupid shot after stupid shot.

    As I say, they have the talent to take this team on to contention but they have to buy into the new mentality that has engulfed this team.

    If they do that then the sky really is the limit.

  7. #7
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    In all honesty when and if this team gets Melo and BD healthy and STAT recovers emotionally from his brothers death this team has potential to be one of the best in the league.

    The biggest issue is like some of you said Melo and STAT have to buy in mostly Melo STAT has played this style and thrived before on the offensive end. Melo has to play off ball more, keep the ball moving, and focusing on just finishing plays.

    As for BD when and if he gets back healthy if he's coming off the bench that would be a huge plus, if he could play like he did for the Cavs last year he can be a legit top 6th man and a real leader for the Knicks 2nd unit.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,043
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by amazinz5
    dude you gotta stop with this ****...hes 4-0 with a pg this year.
    So u think a 1-9 no-strategy coaching Dantoni had something to do with the 4-0 LINS....
    ha ha ha....u shouldnt do this to yourself....a mind is a terrible thing to waste

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,681
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Lin gave major props to D'Antoni today. If Lin wants him to stay, D'Antoni can stay.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Absolute championship contenders when Melo and Stat buy in.

    This is the only answer.

  11. #11
    Veteran KingofNy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by vpell
    Absolute championship contenders when Melo and Stat buy in.

    This is the only answer.
    I don't think they really need to "buy" in. They need to NOT hog the ball and let Jeremy run the offense. When Jorts and Baron Davis come back our bench will be DEEP! Skies the limit guys!

  12. #12
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    if Melo and Stat buy in?

    Do we still need another coach?

    Personally I don't know if we do any more. My main problem with the Knicks was fourfold.

    1) Lack of heart - No hustle, bad attitudes and a "Melo and Stat will do it all" mentality.
    At the same time Melo and Stat are competing with each other rather than working together to be part of a cohesive unit. Jorts is a player who I believe also helps in this department.

    2) Lack of ball movement and movement off the ball. Lin has sorted this out sure but it's not that simple. Chandler is improving massively as an offensive threat, Fields and Shumpert's movement seems to improve by the game.

    3) Lack of defense - As big to the Knicks as the start of the Lin Dynasty has been the defensive play of Bill Walker, Jared Jeffries and Tyson Chandler and when you see Steve Novak facing up Pau Gasol and getting the steal then you know it's rubbing off in a good way. We've got high energy and smart defense all over the court now so there are very few easy baskets for teams and when you have Lin beasting at the same time we're at this moment a match for anyone.

    4) Lack of leadership - Lin and Chandler are clearly the leaders of this team now and thought different in style they compliment each other well and the others seem happy to follow them.
    The ball movement and PG is down to MDA. Sure he got lucky but sometimes you need a little luck and he's using Lin brilliantly and the offense as a whole is improving by the game and that's not ALL down to Lin because Lin is learning as well. It's a great mentoring job so far from MDA and credit is due.

    Defensively? Yeah this isn't down to MDA at all. When I hear statements like the one he came out with about JJ then I know that we're moving in the right direction.

    So whose name hasn't come up who is I believe at the centre of this revolution?

    MIKE WOODSON.

    The whole persona of this team has changed and even it seems the attitude of the coach and that can't just be a coincidence. I believe that MDA has bought into Woodson and so have the players and when you've got a player like Chandler to lead that defense, you've got someone who can carry that message home.

    Melo and Amar'e should NOT be allowed to just walk back into this team and resume their sub par attitude and performances. They will have to adapt, realise they arn't the be all and end all any more and buy in. If they do that we could be frightening. If they don't the only question will be what kind of package we should look to accept for them.

    Good post. After tonights win my hate towards MDA is waning. On a scale from 1-10 I was at 100. I almost blew a gasket last week when we played Boston.

    I'm still hating him plenty but I'm down to a 10 on a scale from 1-10. I would still like to see him play Jordan some.

    MDA seems to be more involved on the sidelines now. He even called some timely timeouts.

    Drew up a play after a T O for a three to Novak.

    Didnt overuse the kid Lin to badly the last two games.

    I think we'll be a force, BUT we have to hit our outside shots at a better clip.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,681
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl


    I think we'll be a force, BUT we have to hit our outside shots at a better clip.
    That's why the Knicks are paying the big bucks to Melo and Stat, their offensive fire power. Though when Kobe got his 30 on 11/29 shooting I said to myself he's playing like Melo.

  14. #14
    ★KNICKS-TAPE★ NYk_Reloaded718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queenz, NY
    Posts
    3,317
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    WHEN

    1. when our 2 stars learn to FULLY gel together

    2. When our 2 stars learn to move the ball around MORE

    3. when we get ALL our players back at full health

    4. When Stat&melo bring the defensive intensity every night like (shump, and chandler)

    THEN and ONLY THEN will we be unstoppable

  15. #15
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Well ball movement with STAT won't be a problem if he has a PG running the PnR for him. The stagnation came when no one was there to create for him, he might occasionally get the ball and bring it down low and get it swiped at and stolen, like he did so many times last year, but I expect him to be more comfortable on the court with Lin.

    And I don't see the situation with Melo being that much different from when Billups got traded to Denver, and Melo deferred and let Chauncey run the show. Melo played off the ball more than he ever did at any point in his career after Billups got there. The issue is that Karl's system is predicated on scoring inside and getting to the free throw line, which would sometimes manifest itself in Melo holding the ball and taking his man one on one. But he was also fed the ball in the post, and we know he's a good passer, and willing passer (you don't average 4 assists if you're super selfish, he's 5th amongst SF's in assists per game behind James, Pierce, Iggy, and Hedo) So there's no reason why he can't move the ball if he trusts his teammates, and with the way things are going, and how he was talking to Lin & co. all night during the game last night, I don't see why he wouldn't trust them.

    No more Melo playing point forward, and STAT has a PG to get him the ball, where he wants the ball.

    Now it's just up to buying in on the defensive end, playing with heart every night, avoiding stupid mistakes, and MDA managing minutes and his rotation.

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks will Keep Billups. Option picked up.
    By Blumatic in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2011, 13:23
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 18, 2009, 20:05
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2008, 12:30
  4. Jay Williams
    By Skyhi300 in forum NBA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 17, 2005, 13:14
  5. Dream Team
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NBA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 08, 2003, 11:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •