Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 100

Thread: The Knicks Will Win The Nba Championship

  1. #46
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    The Knicks need a coaching change, before they can even think about winning a championship.

    Antoni couldn't do it with Nash, Marion, and STAT. What makes you think he will do it with Lin, Melo, and STAT?
    Tyson The Mad Byson Chandler

  2. #47
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    Your wrong you can't win without atleast one superstar and some other star level players it's just not happening. You can have regular season success like Philly and Denver is having but none of those teams are gonna make it to the conference finals.

    Yea Melo and STAT have to come back and play within the system offensively and bring it defensively but if you or anybody really thinks this team has a chance without them you need to re-evaluate all your basketball knowledge.
    Don't just live in the now because this team would get killed in a playoff series by Chi, MIA, and Boston without Melo and Amare even with Batum or JR.
    Detroit Pistons. Where was their star level player? Ben Wallace? The team I am suggesting would have more scoring and better defense if it played up to potential. Pistons were built on defense and playing as a team and to me it is the most impressive of all the nba final wins.

    Where was your basketball knowledge about Lin? I already called George being an all star and Batum is the same, watch this space.

  3. #48
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    Detroit Pistons. Where was their star level player? Ben Wallace? The team I am suggesting would have more scoring and better defense if it played up to potential. Pistons were built on defense and playing as a team and to me it is the most impressive of all the nba final wins.

    Where was your basketball knowledge about Lin? I already called George being an all star and Batum is the same, watch this space.

    I hate when ppl try to use the Pistons as an example that year Chauncey was a legit top 5 PG, Rasheed top 5 PF, Ben Wallace best defensive Center in the game, Prince 2nd best perimeter defender after Ron Artest, and Rip was the best off ball player that year.

    They didn't have big names but they had big games the Knicks without Melo and Amare don't have all those things.

    And my basketball knowledge about Lin you don't even know how I felt about Lin it's funny you bring that up because while I never thought he'd be this good I always predicted he'd be a solid player on theLakernation forum I post on I was saying LA should draft this kid since 2010 and then sign him after he schooled John Wall so don't jump to conclusions.

  4. #49
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    Detroit Pistons. Where was their star level player? Ben Wallace? The team I am suggesting would have more scoring and better defense if it played up to potential. Pistons were built on defense and playing as a team and to me it is the most impressive of all the nba final wins.

    Where was your basketball knowledge about Lin? I already called George being an all star and Batum is the same, watch this space.
    Why do you think Chauncey Billups nickname is Mr Big Shot?

    Who in your lineup of Lin Fields Batum JSmoove Tyson is going to hit big shots when the defense is all over them?

  5. #50
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    ^^^ Pistons also, fwiw, considered one of the weakest NBA champs ever.

    Though you can win, let's say, without a "superstar", it doesn't mean that is the best way to construct your team and expect the best chance of actually being able to do so.

    I don't think the lineup WrongIslander presented is as star-studded or talented as that Piston team, either.

    It's a lovely looking lineup, but I think it's something of a rich man's Hawks team. Would get toppled by the upper crust teams in this golden age/dynasty age of the NBA.

    It's a sexy team, but I think you'd need a real baller who can score at the 2 to legit say that's a championship squad in this day and age...swap Fields with say, OJ Mayo, and I wouldn't bet against that team.

  6. #51
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    I hate when ppl try to use the Pistons as an example that year Chauncey was a legit top 5 PG, Rasheed top 5 PF, Ben Wallace best defensive Center in the game, Prince 2nd best perimeter defender after Ron Artest, and Rip was the best off ball player that year.

    They didn't have big names but they had big games the Knicks without Melo and Amare don't have all those things.

    And my basketball knowledge about Lin you don't even know how I felt about Lin it's funny you bring that up because while I never thought he'd be this good I always predicted he'd be a solid player on theLakernation forum I post on I was saying LA should draft this kid since 2010 and then sign him after he schooled John Wall so don't jump to conclusions.
    So you didn't know what Lin was going to do.

    You're dreaming if you think Chauncey, Rasheed and Wallace were considered stars. They were perfect for the team they played in and once again, who was going to put up the points?

    They didn't have an Amar'e or a Melo and they did fine. You've basically just reinforced my point.

    Smith and Chandler could dominate in the paint just as Wallace and Sheed did while neither would be all stars.

    Lin could end up being mr big shot, you just don't know yet.

    Batum's defense is vastly underrated and he'd put up more points that Prince.

    The point (which still stands by the way) is they had the right players for the right positions with no one or two stars that took over completely and they won AS A TEAM with every player playing an important part on both ends of the court.

    You didn't know what Lin would be and you don't know what he could be, same goes for Batum and Shumpert. For all you know they are all top 5 players in the future.

    Once again, this was my point with Paul George. The clues were there and now he's living up to it.

    TEAM > 1, 2 or 3 stars.

  7. #52
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Why do you think Chauncey Billups nickname is Mr Big Shot?

    Who in your lineup of Lin Fields Batum JSmoove Tyson is going to hit big shots when the defense is all over them?
    Because while playing in a team that allowed him the chances to get off those big shots he made them.

    It could be Lin, it could be Batum and they're both capable and in the future we'll see.

  8. #53
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Lol, Detriot is seriously an exception to the rule.

    You do realize that all of the championship teams going back to 1990 had: Jordan and Pippen; Olajuwon; Jordan, Pippen; Duncan, Robsinson; Shaq, Kobe; Duncan, Parker, Ginobli; Wade, Shaq; Duncan, Parker, Ginobli; Paul Pierce, KG, Ray Allen; Kobe, Pau, Odom, Bynum; Dirk, Terry, Tyson.

    And I left guys like Kenny Smith, Sean Elliot, Fox, Horry, etc. off that list.

    The argument that you can win it without stars because the Pistons did it back in the 03-04 season is crazy. Stars have been winning rings since way back in the 80s. People are too quick to try to ignore history to make a point.

    We need STAT and Melo to play well going forward, and now that they have a real PG, it's feasible. But any scenario that has the Knicks winning a ring without those guys is the sort of **** you hear in the media that's said solely for reaction. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

  9. #54
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Lol, Detriot is seriously an exception to the rule.

    You do realize that all of the championship teams going back to 1990 had: Jordan and Pippen; Olajuwon; Jordan, Pippen; Duncan, Robsinson; Shaq, Kobe; Duncan, Parker, Ginobli; Wade, Shaq; Duncan, Parker, Ginobli; Paul Pierce, KG, Ray Allen; Kobe, Pau, Odom, Bynum; Dirk, Terry, Tyson.

    And I left guys like Kenny Smith, Sean Elliot, Fox, Horry, etc. off that list.

    The argument that you can win it without stars because the Pistons did it back in the 03-04 season is crazy. Stars have been winning rings since way back in the 80s. People are too quick to try to ignore history to make a point.

    We need STAT and Melo to play well going forward, and now that they have a real PG, it's feasible. But any scenario that has the Knicks winning a ring without those guys is the sort of **** you hear in the media that's said solely for reaction. It's not meant to be taken seriously.
    Why is it crazy? There's not one sport in the world where a balanced team won't beat a team constructed around 1 or 2 great players.

    Another thing that is proven in sports is you're better to MAKE a star, than buy or trade for one. I suppose that history doesn't back up your argument though.

  10. #55
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    By your logic of "you don't know what Lin and Shumpert could do they could be top 5 players" then why don't we just trade away Melo and Stat for a bunch of undrafted players... You never know they might be top 5 players one day!

    And re needing a balanced team over stars.. It's not one or the other you need both. Name a team that won something significant without both of these components, in any sport, that's not the Detroit Pistons.

  11. #56
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    Why is it crazy? There's not one sport in the world where a balanced team won't beat a team constructed around 1 or 2 great players.

    Another thing that is proven in sports is you're better to MAKE a star, than buy or trade for one. I suppose that history doesn't back up your argument though.
    Yea, that's for cap reasons and the ability to build a team. But if you "buy" a couple of stars and put a decent supporting cast around them, you're fine.

    We already have STAT and Melo, we have what seems to be our PG of the future, we have defense, rebounding, and shooting on the wings, we have depth up front (if used correctly) in Jordan, Jorts, and Jeffries, we have a starting 5 with a wing who can create his own shot if the defense is set, we have a PG who can run the PnR and feed his 4 and 5, we have a 2 who doesn't need the ball, and is always moving.

    Once you have your stars.....why cry about it?

    What if your team constructed around one or two players IS a balanced team? I don't even get that statement...I mean...are the Thunder not constructed around Durant and Westbrook? Were the Bulls not constructed around Jordan? You acquire stars, and build around them. It's more advantageous to do it thru the draft so you can retain assets, get cheap talent, and also control their rights until they have enough accrued time to be eligible for free agency, and then you have their Bird Rights.

    We bought our stars, but now we have what seems to be enough of a supporting cast and a decent bench.

    Why so mad?

  12. #57
    Member CoolRunnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, Bay Ridge NY
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    After reading some of the posts on this thread, I can honeslty say drugs are bad; say nope to dope.

  13. #58
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Why so mad?
    Because Suarez

  14. #59
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Yea, that's for cap reasons and the ability to build a team. But if you "buy" a couple of stars and put a decent supporting cast around them, you're fine.

    Not all sports have cap and we've paid far too much for ours, I don't think that is in doubt.

    We already have STAT and Melo, we have what seems to be our PG of the future, we have defense, rebounding, and shooting on the wings, we have depth up front (if used correctly) in Jordan, Jorts, and Jeffries, we have a starting 5 with a wing who can create his own shot if the defense is set, we have a PG who can run the PnR and feed his 4 and 5, we have a 2 who doesn't need the ball, and is always moving.

    "We have defense", not when Stat and Melo are playing below par we don't.

    Once you have your stars.....why cry about it?

    We don't have stars until they turn up and start playing like it. We have plays with the ability to be stars.

    What if your team constructed around one or two players IS a balanced team? I don't even get that statement...I mean...are the Thunder not constructed around Durant and Westbrook? Were the Bulls not constructed around Jordan? You acquire stars, and build around them. It's more advantageous to do it thru the draft so you can retain assets, get cheap talent, and also control their rights until they have enough accrued time to be eligible for free agency, and then you have their Bird Rights.

    Yes they are constructed around two players that were drafted. They also haven't been to a finals yet. Of course the Bulls were constructed around Jordan who again was drafted. So that's your best example of this year and all time not including two older players signed for ridiculous fees at the expense of depth with no thought given to chemistry.

    We bought our stars, but now we have what seems to be enough of a supporting cast and a decent bench.

    Why so mad?
    We gave too much to get players that still need to do a lot more to prove themselves. I said from the start that my trades are only based on the idea that Melo and Amar'e don't improve and play up to their potential including team defense.

  15. #60
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Because Suarez
    That's not even a sentence. Mad because of Suarez? I love Luis Suarez, he shows the kind of passion and tenacity all over the pitch that should be the LEAST you expect from a professional star in any sport.

Similar Threads

  1. These Knicks May not be together Much Longer
    By Oakman88 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2011, 09:03
  2. I feel bad for Marbury, having to carry the Celtics
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2010, 17:15
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2009, 20:23
  4. Cavs @ Knicks 11/25 7:30 PM ET
    By jpz17 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: Nov 26, 2008, 20:10
  5. Sacramento Kings vs New York Knicks Game Thread 1/2/08
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: Jan 03, 2008, 15:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •