Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 100

Thread: The Knicks Will Win The Nba Championship

  1. #61
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    That's not even a sentence. Mad because of Suarez? I love Luis Suarez, he shows the kind of passion and tenacity all over the pitch that should be the LEAST you expect from a professional star in any sport.
    Don't blame me because you've never heard of the "because X" meme.

    What a surprise, you love a racist, diving, classless, immature cheat.

  2. #62
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Don't blame me because you've never heard of the "because X" meme.

    What a surprise, you love a racist, diving, classless, immature cheat.
    First off he isn't racist. The idea of completely ignoring someone else's culture (what he said is fine in South America) and saying that only your way matters, yeah that's RACIST.

    Classless? Because he didn't shake Evra's hand? Brilliant. Keep being told what to think by the media.

    Immature? He actually shows a maturity on the pitch beyond his years.

    Cheat? In what way is he a cheat?

    Diving? He's no more of a diver than any of the other top players in the world.

    You can try and make this about "soccer" and Liverpool if you want, it just shows you're not doing well enough with your basketball argument.

    I also love the irony of talking about maturity then having a pop at me for not knowing what a particular internet meme is.

  3. #63
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    First off he isn't racist. The idea of completely ignoring someone else's culture (what he said is fine in South America) and saying that only your way matters, yeah that's RACIST.

    Classless? Because he didn't shake Evra's hand? Brilliant. Keep being told what to think by the media.

    Immature? He actually shows a maturity on the pitch beyond his years.

    Cheat? In what way is he a cheat?

    Diving? He's no more of a diver than any of the other top players in the world.

    You can try and make this about "soccer" and Liverpool if you want, it just shows you're not doing well enough with your basketball argument.

    I also love the irony of talking about maturity then having a pop at me for not knowing what a particular internet meme is.
    Did I have a pop at you about it? No you had a pop at me for not constructing a sentence properly and I explained why.

    I said because Suarez as a joke and instead of responding to my post re basketball you chose to respond to that instead, you're the one who has totally ignored my basketball related points.

    About Suarez I'll not derail this thread any further, he apologized for a reason. Because he was wrong. Simple.

  4. #64
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    No response? As I thought

  5. #65
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Media

    Originally Posted by smokes
    He apologized for a reason. Because he was wrong. Simple.
    You probably actually believe that as well. He apologised for not shaking hands, that's it and he did so because our directors made him. He has no reason to apologise regardless of what Liverpool or the media say. A handshake should not be forced upon anyone and the only two people who should be bothered and should decide on the matter are Suarez and Evra.

    As per usual the media are making far too much of it.

    Answer me this, what was worse Melo throwing punches or Suarez not shaking hands?

    Yeah not quite so simple when I can turn it round like that is it.

  6. #66
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    You probably actually believe that as well. He apologised for not shaking hands, that's it and he did so because our directors made him. He has no reason to apologise regardless of what Liverpool or the media say. A handshake should not be forced upon anyone and the only two people who should be bothered and should decide on the matter are Suarez and Evra.

    As per usual the media are making far too much of it.

    Answer me this, what was worse Melo throwing punches or Suarez not shaking hands?

    Yeah not quite so simple when I can turn it round like that is it.
    It's pretty simple, an isolated incedent vs a player who has a reputation his entire career of having a terrible attitude, of cheating and being immature and disrespectful.

    Ok since you don't want to leave it alone lets just break it down simple shall we?

    LUIS SUAREZ IS NOT RACIST?

    In the 62nd minute, Suárez wins a corner and jogs into the United area, where he is being marked by Evra. The two players then become involved in a heated argument, in Spanish:

    PE: ****ing hell, why did you kick me?

    LS: Because you’re black.

    PE: Say it to me again, I’m going to kick you.

    LS: I don’t speak to blacks.

    PE: OK, now I think I’m going to punch you.

    LS: OK, blackie, blackie, blackie.

    As Suárez is speaking, he pinches Evra’s left forearm repeatedly. As referee Andre Marriner stops play, Suárez uses the term “negro” to Evra again, prompting an angry reaction from Evra, who tells Marriner he has been racially abused.

    Marriner tries to calm the situation, but as the players walk away, Suárez puts his hand on the back of Evra’s head and the defender knocks his arm away.

    Marriner intervenes again; Evra says he does not want Suárez to touch him, prompting the Uruguayan to say: “Why, black?”
    SUAREZ IS NOT A CHEAT?

    I must have missed the memo where he was cleared to play as GK in the World Cup...



    SUAREZ DOES NOT DIVE MUCH MORE THAN OTHER PLAYERS?











    SUAREZ SHOWS MATURITY ON THE PITCH?

    Why don't we ask the guy he headbutted/bit on the chest?



    Or how Scott Parker feels after Suarez returns from his 8 match ban?



    SUAREZ IS A CLASSY PLAYER?!?!

    The handshake...or lack of

    Suarez opting not to shake Evra's hand as the players conducted their traditional pre-match greeting when Liverpool travelled to Old Trafford - the Uruguayan's first start since serving an eight-match ban.

    The fall out

    Suarez's actions prompted Sir Alex Ferguson to brand Suarez a “disgrace to Liverpool” before urging the club to “get rid” of him. After the match, Kenny Dalglish claimed he “didn’t know” Suárez had refused Evra’s handshake before becoming embroiled in a feud with Sky Sports presenter Geoff Shreeves.

    The apologies

    Suarez issued an apology for his "mistake" in not shaking Evra's hand. His statement was followed by Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre saying the club was misled by Suarez and criticised the Uruguayan for failing to shake the hand of Evra.

    Dalglish then said sorry for his conduct on TV before Manchester United published a statement on their site accepting Liverpool's apology.
    Yes Suarez was wrong. Whether or not it was wrong not to shake his hand is immaterial. Suarez told the Liverpool management that he would shake Evra's hand then refused to do so when the game came. He lied and let down his team. He got his manager involved in the dispute because Kenny though Suarez would shake his hand and thus lashed out at a reporter.

    Riddle me this Batman, if Suarez didn't racially abuse Patrice Evra then why did Liverpool not appeal his ban? Because he did, and everybody knows it, except Liverpool supporters

    Now take your hands off the keyboard before you get hurt.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    /thread, right?

  8. #68
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    So you didn't know what Lin was going to do.

    You're dreaming if you think Chauncey, Rasheed and Wallace were considered stars. They were perfect for the team they played in and once again, who was going to put up the points?

    They didn't have an Amar'e or a Melo and they did fine. You've basically just reinforced my point.

    Smith and Chandler could dominate in the paint just as Wallace and Sheed did while neither would be all stars.

    Lin could end up being mr big shot, you just don't know yet.

    Batum's defense is vastly underrated and he'd put up more points that Prince.

    The point (which still stands by the way) is they had the right players for the right positions with no one or two stars that took over completely and they won AS A TEAM with every player playing an important part on both ends of the court.

    You didn't know what Lin would be and you don't know what he could be, same goes for Batum and Shumpert. For all you know they are all top 5 players in the future.

    Once again, this was my point with Paul George. The clues were there and now he's living up to it.

    TEAM > 1, 2 or 3 stars.
    Did I not say the Piston players werent big names but had big games, it doesn't matter if they werent popular and considered stars by fans. They still had a top 5 PG yes in 04 Chauncey was one of the top 5 best PGs in the game, Rasheed was one of the best PF's in the game, Prince was the 2nd best perimeter defender in the game, Ben Wallace was the best defensive center, and Rip was the best off ball player.

    Stop living in the now when the game slows down and Mia and Chi elite defenses key in on Lin, Smith, and Batum their not gonna be able to produce you need stars simple as that.

    It's all great in theory having this great team work basketball but there's a reason why every champion in the last 30+ years have star power.

  9. #69
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Anyone else on board?

    No excuses now right?

    Coach, scorers, bench, depth, defense, vets, size, variability, home crowd, hunger

  10. #70
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ooops


  11. #71
    El Cacique portega1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)
    Posts
    1,611
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    Anyone else on board?

    No excuses now right?

    Coach, scorers, bench, depth, defense, vets, size, variability, home crowd, hunger
    Until we have a healthy and effective backup PG, we are still missing a piece. God forbid Lin is injured. Davis is not looking like he will be back strong enough to make a valuable contribution. So, I'm almost there but still hoping we can land an effective backup for Lin.

    Also, we would be severely screwed without Chandler.

  12. #72
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by portega1968
    Until we have a healthy and effective backup PG, we are still missing a piece. God forbid Lin is injured. Davis is not looking like he will be back strong enough to make a valuable contribution. So, I'm almost there but still hoping we can land an effective backup for Lin.

    Also, we would be severely screwed without Chandler.
    The issue with this to me is the acclimation process for players and guards in particular.

    1st we need a guard

    Then we need a guard that's competent which comes with time, familiarity, and natural skill.

    There's only half the season left.

    By adding Davis and JR mid-season, there's little time left. At the least BD has practiced and should be familiar with the system. If not, then its yet another excuse why we can't win. And I for one am excused out.

    I no longer want the "perfect" player to be successful because the odds (as we've seen) are extremely low. Rather at this point we need competent viable options...

    Don't we have enough even without BD?

  13. #73
    El Cacique portega1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)
    Posts
    1,611
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    Don't we have enough even without BD?
    What you say is all good.

    But, the way I see it, everyone needs a good plan B to backup the Plan A.

    Our plan A looks great, but our Plan B still is not there. Specifically, our team would severely suffer if Lin or Chandler were not able to do their thing, and we need to cover that gap.

  14. #74
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    If we stay healthy, and no bull**** happens with injuries....yes. By the time playoffs start, I'd expect us to match up pretty evenly against the NBA's upper crust, and be in every series.

    With D'antoni at the helm, I'd expect a top3 offense at the minimum, and I think our already respectable D will only continue to improve.

    You're being a little ridiculous, though, with the "anybody else in? no more excuses, right?", if your're inferring we are somehow *favorites* to win the title, or it's some manifest destiny.

    Just because we can win, or that we "should" win (ie, we are the odds on favorite...which we won't be, but whatever), your likelihood of actually winning is still *never* far above 50%, even if you are the best team in the NBA.

    ie, even if we were clearly the best team in the NBA going into the playoffs, not winning a title wouldn't reflect true failure, or missing out on expectations.

    If we looked like **** and got trounced, it's a different story; but that's a more qualitative discussion. Our playoff series vs the Celtics last yr is actually a really good model of the contrast between qualitative and quantitative judgements of success and fail, and team performance.

  15. #75
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    First off he isn't racist. The idea of completely ignoring someone else's culture (what he said is fine in South America) and saying that only your way matters, yeah that's RACIST.

    Classless? Because he didn't shake Evra's hand? Brilliant. Keep being told what to think by the media.

    Immature? He actually shows a maturity on the pitch beyond his years.

    Cheat? In what way is he a cheat?

    Diving? He's no more of a diver than any of the other top players in the world.

    You can try and make this about "soccer" and Liverpool if you want, it just shows you're not doing well enough with your basketball argument.

    I also love the irony of talking about maturity then having a pop at me for not knowing what a particular internet meme is.
    I just logged in to find out that the Suarez saga has made it all the way to the Knickonline forums.

    Using someone's skin colour in order to insult that person is racist in whatever country. The only difference is that whereas in the U.K racism has become a covert practice (I'm not racist, but...) in countries like Uruguay it is still overtly embedded in society. It's still racism and Suarez is a dick. Decent footballer but still a dick. Let's not forget Di Cannio was a fascist; still a great footballer despite being an idiot. Liverpool fans have taken YNWA one step too far.

Similar Threads

  1. These Knicks May not be together Much Longer
    By Oakman88 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2011, 10:03
  2. I feel bad for Marbury, having to carry the Celtics
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2010, 18:15
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2009, 21:23
  4. Cavs @ Knicks 11/25 7:30 PM ET
    By jpz17 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: Nov 26, 2008, 21:10
  5. Sacramento Kings vs New York Knicks Game Thread 1/2/08
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: Jan 03, 2008, 16:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •