To Everyone saying Melo will mess up the flow of the offense

Shut up. Bill Walker hs been taking just as many shots Melo does these last 3 games and its not costing us anything! lol and Mike probably is doing that on purpose so Lin gets ajusted to Melo without him being there.

Don't believe the Jon Barry, Frank Isola, Berman, Barkley, media bull. They're just haters.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
he's been playing more team-ball since that really bad shooting stretch. its not like he's only gonna catch and shoot , he'll have his isos and he'll play off the ball, getting great looks at open jumpers and blowing by people trying to close out on him. i could honestly see him scoring 25+ ppg in this offense with everyones efficiency improving.

skisloper

Starter
Shut up. Bill Walker hs been taking just as many shots Melo does these last 3 games and its not costing us anything! lol and Mike probably is doing that on purpose so Lin gets ajusted to Melo without him being there.

Don't believe the Jon Barry, Frank Isola, Berman, Barkley, media bull. They're just haters.

whats interesting is even though Walker missed a bunch of shots he was +15 when he was in.....

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
In fairness to Melo, up until the last 5 or 6 games, the flow of the offense has been ****ed up, and that's got little to do with Melo. All of the key players were ineffective. The legit criticism is Melo didn't make the team better. I think he will though. Anytime a player opening reevaluates his own game, that's a good sign. Even though the team's struggles are not entirely his fault.

gregnb

Rookie
Thank you! Exactly! I'm sick of hearing all this melo talk. Go look at the box score how many guys are putting up shots. He will be fine. Does everyone really think Melo is going to go out of his way to ruin everything that is going on now? Where's he going to go in his career if he ends up failing here? Lots of things are on the line. I think he gets it together and when were in the playoffs were going to need a guy like Melo when were playing the same team game after game. So enough of these insane trade ideas. He's here to stay and we need him.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Start slow ~ finish season strong.

Offensively, all considered with the Linsanity, these 2 need a tight leash on their offensive games before we can move forward with any real sense of clarity about who fits where.

I think the most concerning issue is both Carmelo and Amar'e's defense.

Stoudemire in particular.

The front-court tandem of Jefferies and Chandler has been outstanding and has proliferated not only our defensive numbers, but our offense with second chance opportunities, as well.

amare-stoudemire-rebound-pau-gasol.jpg

STAT has had some good rebounding games this year, some abysmal rebounding games too - VS Orlando for instance with 2 - but the defensive awareness, the dedication to team and individual defense; absolutely disastrous. For the sake of the team, it's time this guy got scolded by the media and fans of New York. Can you imagine the feeding frenzy of an "Is Jared Jefferies a better fit at PF for Knicks than Stoudemire" wave of controversy? We can't afford the disruption now that the team is hot, nor can we afford to leave Chandler basically on his own in the paint as he has been FAR TOO OFTEN THIS SEASON. :fury:

Melo, to a degree, has played some good D and has proven that he can facilitate for others. It's his motivation and maturity that seem to be the issue, though both seem to have lifted lately. Defensively, stop whining about prior offensive plays in which you thought you were fouled.

Carmelo's offensive issues, as I foresee them after watching him play, are the following:

Playing off the ball - Anthony is a sloth off the ball, lazy and disinterested. With a facilitator on board in Lin, Melo needs to get his big frame in position to catch and attack as opposed to catch, isolate and create for himself. That's not in accordance with spacing or teamwork, and we've all seen the effects of it.

Enforcing his strength on the block - hasn't been enough of this this year. He's reputed for his strengths on the block [hence the nickname - "Beast On The Block", and he needs to utilize this part of his game.

This needs to be incorporated in to the offense as well by Mike.

Stop ****ing chucking.

When you're off, you're off.

In Stoudemire's case, he needs to either catch and shoot from within 22 feet or catch and finish near the basket. PLEASE stop trying to create for yourself. It's a ****ing travesty 75% of the time.

Get acquainted with your team first and branch out from there. That goes for Melo, too.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Yeah I don't think it will either. I never thought the teams offense was dead because of Melo, it was so obvious it was dead because we didn't have a point guard who would just drive to the basket, or pass the ball well.. The to most fundamental elements of a point guard, and being able to run an offense.. ESPECIALLY because Mike D'antoni is the coach... I have no idea why Mike wasn't begging grunwald to trade for a point guard or something... Because his system just does not work without one at all..

With Melo, if he is healthy our offense will be just that much better, and Amar'e as well, because he won't blow all those layups that jefferies did, though I do admit overall jefferies has been playing very well, and he should come off the bench at center once Jorts is back.. And Melo won't miss as many shots, or take as many stupid unadvised ones that he has no chance of making like Bill Walker

Laughing my ass off!

melo and stat will without a doubt help the offense...stat obviously is a great p&r player and will thrive with Lin
but for melo I look at last nites game against the lakers...they started to double Lin as the game went on and with melo you can't double Lin because melo will kill u
the only thing I'm worried about with stat and melo is defense...now if they do tht the Knicks can go somewhere

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
in all Fairness we wont know whats going to happen UNTIL it actually happens.

I think Melo will let Lin run this offense, he's not a fool he's been to the games, he sees whats going on. The Media would be all over Melo's a$$ if he doesn't buy into Lin and the Fans would probably BOO the hell out of him.

before Linsanity you saw melo adjust his game and get stat the ball more with more passing. Im pretty sure he can do the same with Lin, Melo needs a pg just as much as Stat needs one

Worst case scenario: melo/Lin together suck, but if we get stuck on offense at some point. we can look to melo to come up with big shots for us

Best case scenario: everything will work out. Lin will have a crap load of assits passing to chandler,amare and melo, get to the basket whenever he pleases and everything will work smoothly.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer

2:40
melo will have no problem playing team ball. old melo gets a semi at the thought of beating a double all by himself. new melo recognizes he has the worst chance of anyone on the floor of putting points on the board and gives it to someone that will. and i know its not the end of the game but its the end of the quarter....melo loves trying to score on the last possession.

smokes

Huge Member
Crazy⑧s;205075 said:
Offensively, all considered with the Linsanity, these 2 need a tight leash on their offensive games before we can move forward with any real sense of clarity about who fits where.

I think the most concerning issue is both Carmelo and Amar'e's defense.

Stoudemire in particular.

The front-court tandem of Jefferies and Chandler has been outstanding and has proliferated not only our defensive numbers, but our offense with second chance opportunities, as well.

amare-stoudemire-rebound-pau-gasol.jpg

STAT has had some good rebounding games this year, some abysmal rebounding games too - VS Orlando for instance with 2 - but the defensive awareness, the dedication to team and individual defense; absolutely disastrous. For the sake of the team, it's time this guy got scolded by the media and fans of New York. Can you imagine the feeding frenzy of an "Is Jared Jefferies a better fit at PF for Knicks than Stoudemire" wave of controversy? We can't afford the disruption now that the team is hot, nor can we afford to leave Chandler basically on his own in the paint as he has been FAR TOO OFTEN THIS SEASON. :fury:

Melo, to a degree, has played some good D and has proven that he can facilitate for others. It's his motivation and maturity that seem to be the issue, though both seem to have lifted lately. Defensively, stop whining about prior offensive plays in which you thought you were fouled.

Carmelo's offensive issues, as I foresee them after watching him play, are the following:

Playing off the ball - Anthony is a sloth off the ball, lazy and disinterested. With a facilitator on board in Lin, Melo needs to get his big frame in position to catch and attack as opposed to catch, isolate and create for himself. That's not in accordance with spacing or teamwork, and we've all seen the effects of it.

Enforcing his strength on the block - hasn't been enough of this this year. He's reputed for his strengths on the block [hence the nickname - "Beast On The Block", and he needs to utilize this part of his game.

This needs to be incorporated in to the offense as well by Mike.

Stop ****ing chucking.

When you're off, you're off.

In Stoudemire's case, he needs to either catch and shoot from within 22 feet or catch and finish near the basket. PLEASE stop trying to create for yourself. It's a ****ing travesty 75% of the time.

Get acquainted with your team first and branch out from there. That goes for Melo, too.

One thing I will say in Anthony's defense is this year especially and somewhat last year too, there was no one who could get him the ball. Same goes for STAT after the Felton trade.

Billups is not a good pick n roll PG and regardless of MDA's love of the PNR we all know it is a solid fundamental play and a very good way to break down the defense.

Melo has already shown some flashes of being a good passer when needed he's set some great alley oops for Tyson or even just good passes to Tyson as he rolled to the basket. The last game the "big three" were together we saw that awesome move of Anthony to STAT to Tyson for the dunk.

I think with Melo getting the ball where he wants it from Lin he will have much more freedom to make the extra pass when needed, won't feel so much pressure to take on every shot himself and won't be concerned about getting so many touches.

I'm really excited to see what this team can do when reunited. I'm also glad it's going to be staggered with STAT coming in for a few games then Melo, a smoother adjustment than throwing them both in together.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Mainly he hasn't played to his strengths, his posting up between the block and 3pt line which is offensive purgatory, he needs to either be on the block or at the wing with about 8 seconds to work

Also as for his 3's they should be in rythym, kick outs or on the break, hopefully we see him working off of screens and still runnning the pick n roll with Tyson which is our one of our best weapons

People are saying Melo has been killing our O which he hasn't guys just weren't playing well so he had to step up.

I want the Lin hype to come down some because I dont want people having high expectations for this kid because he's doing well, I dont want him to have a bad stretch and then be alienated for not producing like he has every night.

Let's let our guys play ball and not get over anxious keep our expectations to a minimum and build on what we have going forward, losing STAT and Melo hopefully showed D'Antoni we have the depth to be a big time player in the playoffs

If Melo is willing to move without the ball and move the ball, then he will fit in just fine with this new, improved and exciting brand of basketball the Knicks are playing. The are playing energized and passionate on both sides of the ball. He needs to be willing to bring the effort on D as well. I personally do not think he's capable. Amare is going to be fine. He will run the pick and roll, get his touches and dunks on offense and this will translate to the type of defense we became accustomed to him playing last year.

Look at what the Knicks did last night. Look at our starters compared to the Lakers. On paper, we should have been crushed. The difference was the energy and the team play. The team defense and rebounding was outstanding. The ball was moving quickly and crisply on offense. Guys were playing unselfish and aggressively. It was one of the best games overall I have seen the knicks play in years. I know Kobe had 34 but the defense by Landry Fields was some of the best I have ever seen one-on-one against Kobe. Every shot was contested and he was all over him like glue. This guy is such a key player for us because of his impact on both offense and defense. I only hope once Melo comes back that he is able to continue to play like this. He's very athletic and makes plays on offense when the ball is moving and his skills of moving without the ball and passing can be utilized most effectively. I'm just concerned Melo will create a problem here. I'm interested to see how Melo fits in this system. If he is able to play team ball, we will be very good. But, if he goes right back to dominating the ball and playing uninspired defense, I think we need to seriously considering trading him. It is clear that the Knicks were much better before the trade for him than after and just look at the results Denver has gotten without him. Maybe there is a trend? So, lets see what happens but maybe the Melo man just is not the guy for us.

mafra

Legend
Carmelo will look for his spots, here & there, but he understands... He's played with Billups. He'll get his.

The offense will flow through Lin. He'll be the Nash D'atnoni has sought since leaving PHO. Constant motion, keep the driblle, run pick-&-roll w/ Amar'e as the first plan of attack. As you roll a bunch of things open up... React to defense.

1- Hit jumper if defense goes under screen.
2- Hit STAT cutting if they double team.
3- Penetrate and look to kick out for 3 or alley opp to TC if defense goes over screen.

When all else fails... ALA BOS with Rondo running show until PP is needed... When all else fails, then kick it to Carmelo to goes ISO when there's under 8 on the shot clock.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If we get the Melo that led Denver to the conference finals and almost beat a more talented Lakers team, then we set. He knew when to look for his own shot and when to get his teammates involved. Imo that year he was a top 5 NBA player. That was the year that really propelled his popularity and the comparisons between him and Lebron/Wade/Kobe really started.

If we get iso-Melo then we're screwed.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Melo wants to move the ball, before Lin he led the team in assist. There was just a couple of problems with that, he is not a point guard and the team was not scoring the ball. In the beginning of the season STAT needed more time to find his game and everyone was shooting bricks (cough Douglas). Not only was the team in a shooting slump they were turning over the ball constantly.

The team will play through Lin when Melo comes back, and Melo will strengthen the team cutting to the hoop, shooting, posting up, and drawing attention leaving others open. Lin will make Melo better and Melo will make Lin better. The team will play through each other and finally become a team we long wanted to root for.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If we get the Melo that led Denver to the conference finals and almost beat a more talented Lakers team, then we set. He knew when to look for his own shot and when to get his teammates involved. Imo that year he was a top 5 NBA player. That was the year that really propelled his popularity and the comparisons between him and Lebron/Wade/Kobe really started.

If we get iso-Melo then we're screwed.
LOL, if Chauncey was reading this he'd be laughing his ass off. Carmelo didn't lead anyone anywhere and didn't know anything, it was Billups who knew how to make use of Anthony's strengths and how to make Denver look like a team, no Chauncey = getting kicked out of the playoffs in the first round, ask Nuggets fans or Karl.

Last edited: