Steve Novak (aka) the sniper

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
With the way he's playing, is there any chance he does stay with us next season.. ?
He's def worth more than the Vet min... at least a MLE.

finestrg

Rotation player
The man's been great -- might be the best 3-pt shooter in the league; definitely at 6'10" or over. He's been a Godsend for us.

Personally, I'd like to see him put it on the floor a little more though. He needs to add that to his attack if he ever wants to become a better, more complete player. That's the difference between Novak and guys like Mike Dunleavy, Gallinari, Peja back in his heyday, etc...You get up too close on these guys, they'll put it on the floor and drive around you. Novak, meanwhile, just looks to immediately move the ball when he gets crowded. Once in awhile, he needs to put it on the deck and take it strong, just to show that he can do it. And like anything else, I betcha the more he did it, the better at it he'd probably become. Like Gallo, he's a big man with long legs, probably long strides... I betcha it wouldn't take him that many dribbles to get to the rim. You figure he'd get to the line more too as a result where he'd be able to take advantage of his superb FT shooting...Now with Amar'e out, there goes the Knicks only true interior scoring threat. Expect teams to crowd Novak even more now out on the perimeter, as the Bucks did last night...Just an observation.

Another observation, unrelated to Novak -- as good as Tyson Chandler's been, and he's been fantastic for us all yr, I don't know how to feel about all of his tap-back attempts on the offensive glass...Last night it worked out real well for us as he was able to tap the ball back to a Knick player almost everytime, but that's not always the case. Hate to criticize the man because he's been phenomenal, but personally I'd rather see him go after some of these offensive rebounds with two hands and then power the ball back up himself...Try to get the easy 2, the 'and 1' or at least try to get fouled and get to the line where he's actually made himself into a pretty decent FT shooter now. I dunno man, continually flailing away with the one hand trying to tap the ball back to a teammate seems a little lazy and low % to me.. If I were Ty, I'd be trying to corral those rebounds and put it back up myself. I feel it's actually something the coaching staff should be pointing out to him and I've felt like that for awhile now..

Just a couple of tweaks for two players that could help out the team a lot in the long run.

Last edited:

YankeesGuy

Rookie
The man's been great -- might be the best 3-pt shooter in the league; definitely at 6'10" or over. He's been a Godsend for us.

Personally, I'd like to see him put it on the floor a little more though. He needs to add that to his attack if he ever wants to become a better, more complete player. That's the difference between Novak and guys like Mike Dunleavy, Gallinari, Peja back in his heyday, etc...You get up too close on these guys, they'll put it on the floor and drive around you. Novak, meanwhile, just looks to immediately move the ball when he gets crowded. Once in awhile, he needs to put it on the deck and take it strong, just to show that he can do it. And like anything else, I betcha the more he did it, the better at it he'd probably become. Like Gallo, he's a big man with long legs, probably long strides... I betcha it wouldn't take him that many dribbles to get to the rim. You figure he'd get to the line more too as a result where he'd be able to take advantage of his superb FT shooting...Now with Amar'e out, there goes the Knicks only true interior scoring threat. Expect teams to crowd Novak even more now out on the perimeter, as the Bucks did last night...Just an observation.

Another observation, unrelated to Novak -- as good as Tyson Chandler's been, and he's been fantastic for us all yr, I don't know how to feel about all of his tap-back attempts on the offensive glass...Last night it worked out real well for us as he was able to tap the ball back to a Knick player almost everytime, but that's not always the case. Hate to criticize the man because he's been phenomenal, but personally I'd rather see him go after some of these offensive rebounds with two hands and then power the ball back up himself...Try to get the easy 2, the 'and 1' or at least try to get fouled and get to the line where he's actually made himself into a pretty decent FT shooter now. I dunno man, continually flailing away with the one hand trying to tap the ball back to a teammate seems a little lazy and low % to me.. If I were Ty, I'd be trying to corral those rebounds and put it back up myself. I feel it's actually something the coaching staff should be pointing out to him and I've felt like that for awhile now..

Just a couple of tweaks for two players that could help out the team a lot in the long run.

He's not the best Big 3 point shooter in the league, Ryan Anderson is 100% better then him. If you had the opportunity to take Anderson for Novak, you couldn't tell me Ryan Anderson isn't better. And in his prime, 02'-'04 Peja was a 3 time all-star and one of the best players in the game, all-around, including his premier game, and his passing game, Novak will never be that player. He is a serviceable backup SF and is a great shooter off the bench. He really hasn't show us anything to believe he has an inside game or can drive to the rim.

tiger0330

Legend
Speaking of his inside game. Everyone says because he's 6'10" that he can dunk but I have never seen any video if him while he's been a pro, in college or HS of him dunking the ball. Tina should ask him that in the next post-game interview with him.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Speaking of his inside game. Everyone says because he's 6'10" that he can dunk but I have never seen any video if him while he's been a pro, in college or HS of him dunking the ball. Tina should ask him that in the next post-game interview with him.

Last night's game vs ORL towards the end, if I recall he actually got in the paint and was about to dunk or go for the layup , but i think he got blocked. lol i was kinda surprised he got that close to the hoop... but anyways, we need Steve behind the arc, and not in the paint.

I would take a Novak 3 over a dunk any day.

p0nder

Starter

Novak just cannot put the ball on the floor. I know it would be nice, but the dribble is too long and shorter defenders on the perimiter can take it, leading to fast break scores. I doubt he will ever develop a driving game. He can dribble around a screen at best and should also become a better screener because of it.

I whole heatedly agree about Tyson's game. He needs to use those as second shot opportunities. If he did his numbers would be more Dwight Howard like and he would be a major contributor to the offensive end. Tyson has the tools to become a major threat down low and we will need to see him exert himself in this way if we are going to see a Knicks' Championship.

lookgrabpull

Benchwarmer
With Stat out until the playoffs, novak's shooting and the inside-outside plays we're running, IMO novak should start at the 3.
That would make our lineup: Lin/BD, Shump, Novak, Carmelo, Tyson.

Yes, Fields should come off the bench (Shump is better than him on our new defense first playstyle, and has become more consistent on his shots). and JR is a spark-plug off the bench, especially when our second unit is also crippled nowadays.

I used to think that Novak can't be anything more than just a special guy for the special cases in which you really need to run a play for a 3 ball, but i'll take it back. He's become a real threat from outside and the other teams will have to take it into consideration, spacing it out and helping out Shump and Lin on drives, and melo on the post

On a half court offense melo can get the ball on the post. And if he's doubled, he passes it out and around to novak for a high percent 3. two plays that make those threes and the other team is gonna have to pick their poison: Melo one on one, or Novak for an open three.

Or Lin drives and dishes to an open Novak for the 3.

It's just another chess piece (I imagine him like a bishop) to add to Woodson's board right off the bat.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Jared Zwerling: I spoke w/ Novak's agent. Said he really wants to make it work where Steve stays in NY. Early Bird Rights could take 2 to 4 weeks to settle. about 1 hour ago

Novak is for real.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
That's good news. Although, he disappears under-pressure he still spaces and collapse defense. Now, if Woodson and Novak work on solving that problem to make it an advantage.

And Make him learn how to draw contact. Coach

tiger0330

Legend
Jared Zwerling: I spoke w/ Novak's agent. Said he really wants to make it work where Steve stays in NY. Early Bird Rights could take 2 to 4 weeks to settle. about 1 hour ago

Novak is for real.
I doubt we have his bird rights, what is his agent talking about. Without those rights we're out of exceptions to sign him if Lin gets the full MLE and JR stays. We might only have the vets min available to sign him, anyone know what his agent is talking about when he says we have his early bird rights.

tiger0330

Legend
Just read the Post article about this NBPA suit, it affects Novak also since he was claimed off waivers and the union wants guys that come off if waivers to retain bird rights. Also it looks we still have the bi-annual exception of 2M available to sign a FA, the Post was talking about bringing back Felton with it.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
That's good news. Although, he disappears under-pressure he still spaces and collapse defense. Now, if Woodson and Novak work on solving that problem to make it an advantage.

The only thing the knicks have to do to help novak get open is set screen after screen to get the man open.If one screen does'nt work then send another guy to set another screen and novak will get open.The knicks need novak!!

goNYgo

Rookie

Draw contact and learn how to play ANY type of defense. I think Amar'e plays more D than Novak.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
212754d4864811e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

Bring novak back

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Time to bring this thread back b/c Novak deserves some major props.He can steal drain the three but he just isn't a spot up three point shooter.The man has improved on everything.He can dribble and make his own shot,his defense has really improved and he is even rebounding the ball more. Great job Steve (the sniper) Novak.

PASS HIM THE BALL!!!!:peace::beer:

carlito1171

Rookie
Time to bring this thread back b/c Novak deserves some major props.He can steal drain the three but he just isn't a spot up three point shooter.The man has improved on everything.He can dribble and make his own shot,his defense has really improved and he is even rebounding the ball more. Great job Steve (the sniper) Novak.

PASS HIM THE BALL!!!!:peace::beer:

Agreed...

He will never be all-world in anything except shooting, but he is showing more effort in other aspects of the game. His defense and rebounding has improve. He can even put the ball on the ground and gather a shot now....

This gives me hope that STAT will change when he returns as well.

In Woody's world no effort = no playing time.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Agreed...

He will never be all-world in anything except shooting, but he is showing more effort in other aspects of the game. His defense and rebounding has improve. He can even put the ball on the ground and gather a shot now....

This gives me hope that STAT will change when he returns as well.

In Woody's world no effort = no playing time.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!:teeth:

What games are you watching? No sir, he is still one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He can't guard anyone... just hops around like he's at a rave and flails his arms.