Steve Novak (aka) the sniper

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!:teeth:

What games are you watching? No sir, he is still one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He can't guard anyone... just hops around like he's at a rave and flails his arms.

Man he has gotten better with his defense and rebounding the ball.The knicks announcers have said it since the season started.

Im not saying is the best defensive player or all world remounder in the nba.Im saying he has improved and anybody can see that.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Am i the only one to notice that Novak does not get enough touches when he is on the floor?
He runs from one side to another trying to lose his defender and many times he is wide opened with opened armes waiting for the ball and nothing. His release is as quick as Reggy Millers i think, so he just needs a split second to catch and shoot.
I realize that he cant create his own shot, still not a good defender, coach rarely runs plays for him, and he spends a lot of time on the court. Why? If cant find him, you might as well sit him on the bench.
Shooters like him need to be in a rhythm, but the way they are using him, he is useless most of the time. I know he streaches the floor, but still.

carlito1171

Rookie
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!:teeth:

What games are you watching? No sir, he is still one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He can't guard anyone... just hops around like he's at a rave and flails his arms.

Dude watch Novak on the court...he will never be a top level defender, he will never even be a mediocre defender, but if you watch him he's playing better help defense, gotten some key steals, and has crashed the boards better. Don't knock the dude's effort geesh!

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Am i the only one to notice that Novak does not get enough touches when he is on the floor?
He runs from one side to another trying to lose his defender and many times he is wide opened with opened armes waiting for the ball and nothing. His release is as quick as Reggy Millers i think, so he just needs a split second to catch and shoot.
I realize that he cant create his own shot, still not a good defender, coach rarely runs plays for him, and he spends a lot of time on the court. Why? If cant find him, you might as well sit him on the bench.
Shooters like him need to be in a rhythm, but the way they are using him, he is useless most of the time. I know he streaches the floor, but still.

you are exactly right and it makes me mad to see him wide open and see jr smith shoot the ball with two guarding him. another thing that makes me mad is to watch woodson take novak out instantly when he misses a couple shots and screams at him while novack is walking to the bench.Then he does'nt say a word to smith when he is 2 for 18 and does'nt take him out.What does woodson say to smith is keep shooting.thats not right and not good coaching.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
you are exactly right and it makes me mad to see him wide open and see jr smith shoot the ball with two guarding him. another thing that makes me mad is to watch woodson take novak out instantly when he misses a couple shots and screams at him while novack is walking to the bench.Then he does'nt say a word to smith when he is 2 for 18 and does'nt take him out.What does woodson say to smith is keep shooting.thats not right and not good coaching.

This coach makes a lot of mistakes man. He tells Smith and Felton to keep shooting, stay agressive. Its good to be agressive, but when your shots are not falling, move the ****ing ball. J.R and Felton combined will never be at Novaks level as far as shooting is conserned.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
This coach makes a lot of mistakes man. He tells Smith and Felton to keep shooting, stay agressive. Its good to be agressive, but when your shots are not falling, move the ****ing ball. J.R and Felton combined will never be at Novaks level as far as shooting is conserned.

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head man.great post!!

DrB

Benchwarmer
BINGO! You hit the nail on the head man.great post!!
Excellant point on moving the ball and I was glad to see Copeland given a chance. He can shoot...he can't defend YET. He plays defense with his arms instead of his feet. Defense can be learned...offensive shooting is much harder to learn.

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Ummmm....... Steve has been horrible as of late. And I'm talking about when he is WIDE THE HECK OPEN and missing badly. His hustle and defense has gone up. But if I was Woody, I'd bench Novack. Can we trade him somehow??

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Don't think trades are a necessity as yet. I'd like to see how STAT affects Novak's game in the 2nd unit.

With Shump coming back and PT tightening, who would we prefer to see ~ Novak or Brewer get more PT than the other? We already know what Woody's preference is out there.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Ummmm....... Steve has been horrible as of late. And I'm talking about when he is WIDE THE HECK OPEN and missing badly. His hustle and defense has gone up. But if I was Woody, I'd bench Novack. Can we trade him somehow??

Trade Novak? come on! Novak was 8=12 going into last nights game so you are far off from your statment about him missing wide open shots.It seems like some on here can't wait to see him have a bad game so they can start saying bench him or trade him.If we are going that route then I say trade JR Smith b/c that guy has done NOTHING.Yeah he will score 25 pts but he will shoot 7 for 31 getting the 25.His defense is worthless and his to's are killing this team.So if we are trading novak then jr smith is right behind him.

Last edited:

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Trade Novak? come on! Novak was 8=12 going into last nights game so you are far off from your statment about him missing wide open shots.It seems like some on here can't wait to see him have a bad game so they can start saying bench him or trade him.If we are going that route then I say trade JR Smith b/c that guy has done NOTHING.Yeah he will score 25 pts but he will shoot 7 for 31 getting the 25.His defense is worthless and his to's are killing this team.So if we are trading novak then jr smith is right behind him.

You have no argument from me there. Why not trade them both?? Maybe to the Suns for Shannon Brown and another player.......

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I think Novak has done more than his share on the court this year.Yes I do think he has improved on all phases of the game.No he is no shutdown defender nor will he average 12 rebounds a game BUT imho he has improved on all those this season.The guy can flat out shoot and he can now put the ball on the court and make his own shot.The FO really made a great move when they signed Novak and im proud he is a NY Knick.:beer:

DrB

Benchwarmer
Amare played no defense where requiring foot movement was required. He did on occassion make a sensational block in the paint. Novak is playing much, much better defense NOW.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't know why fans, Breen, etc. say Novak has improved, at least making it seem like a big improvement. I've seen him do nice fakes, makes nice rebounds, and have solid defense last season. Maybe I haven't noticed if he's improved even more on it, correct me if I'm wrong.

What bugs me is him standing around. I know he's not fast, but he needs to try harder to get free or the coach (I'm guessing this is the coach's doing that he's standing around usually) needs to make a few more plays for him.

Kidd is not gonna drive as much as he used to, so if he's not able to kick it to Novak, have Smith try to get him the ball who has good chemistry with him.

Novak hasn't been hot lately, but he's also not getting many basket opportunities.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
At the moment I`d rather see Copeland get Novaks minutes. If Novak isn`t hitting threes then he`s a complete waste on the court. Copeland has more ability to score. He can shoot the three, drive at the basket and post up. Defensively they are both suspect but Copeland offers us more in my opinion.

Kiyaman

Legend
Woody will have to start making-up some design plays for Novak 3s, when in a lineup with Felton, JR, and Melo their are no set plays for Novak. Why?
Novak presence on the court has stopped a lot of oposition from double-teaming Felton, JR, & Melo .. which give the trio one on one defenders to beat off the dribble.

We get very few suprise passes from Melo & JR off their dribble when they are in shooting-mode, Amare's 7 shots per game were enough proof .. it took a while for Melo & JR to gain confidence in passing to Novak, so rookie Copeland is out of luck expecting a pass from the two. Copeland have to be happy he got Pablo for the give n go lol

With DNP injuries to Camby, Kurt, Rasheed, and Amare we shouldve seen more minutes from Copeland & Novak gellin to protect the paint on switches, plus when one was outside shooting a 3-ball the other shouldve been running to spot up for a high offensive-rebound, rather than stand around watching oposition guards get the 3-ball rebound ..
Woody's coaching errors of letting all our players shoot from peremeter with no bigman teammate posted-up down-low for offensive-rebound has been hurting us, also not letting Novak commit to being a premeter-defender while Melo suppose to be our PF boxing-out with Tyson for the defensive-rebound.

Rookie Copeland inside/outside scoring are becoming more confident, his defensive-rebound, boxing-out, and defending cutters toward the paint need a lot of work, which deserve consistent playingtime to improve his flaws on the defensive-end.

knicksin60

Starter
Looks like Novak's 15 minutes of being in the spot light is coming to an end. The guy has played atrocious basketball. If he continues to contribute to the failures of the Knicks then Grunwald needs to look for a team that is willing to take him.

Number3

Benchwarmer
why put novak in when Copeland can do the same plus more things... Copeland can hit the 3, create his own shot and score in more ways

nyk_nyk

All Star
First of all Novak is playing too many minutes. It doesn't matter if he's making shots or not, you don't play him 20+ minutes a game. He's a specialty player and should not be a huge part of the success of the offense. It should only be an addition to what's already effective. His minutes should be strictly determined on a game by game basis.

Teams know the one thing that he does and takes it away. When this happens, he's rendered to a liability since he's not even an average defender. I wouldn't trade him but he'd definitely lose minutes to someone like Copeland who can do more against the defense.