Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 144

Thread: Mike D'Antoni's influence on our resurgence

  1. #1
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Mike D'Antoni's influence on our resurgence

    I've been one to bash MDA pretty heavily last year and this year. I was happy to have him coaching from 08-10 especially since his brand of coaching adds value to some players and potentially got us more in return for them. However the flip side to that was us losing good players for next to nothing because of his infamous doghouse. After seeing him last year I was done with him, our total lack of defensive effort and the same old MDA mistakes had me thinking we desperately needed a different approach. Right now I might be willing to change my tune though.

    The Knicks overall this season have played great defense. In part this is down to Tyson Chandler who obviously brings a solid defensive presence, the addition of Shumpert who is amongst the league leaders in steals, and you can't write off Mike Woodson's influence.

    However we can certainly attribute the amazing play of Jared Jefferies somewhat to Mike since most other coaches in the league would probably not even play JJ. We've also seen an amazing increase in Landry Fields defensive effectiveness, finally putting his physical tools to great use at the defensive end.

    Our offense clearly has gone from awful to amazing mostly due to Jeremy Lin but I'm not writing off MDA here either. The kind of offensive plays we are running, the floor spacing, the way Tyson is running the floor and our guards getting up court in seconds is in a big way down to the way Mike likes to play the game and also how he conditions his players. The fact we had enough physical energy to stick it out and eventually pull out a win in MIN has to be partly due to the amazing fitness of our players from running running running in practice every day.

    I also like the way our coaching staff is dealing with our players. Tyson Chandler adding a 10-12 footer would be golden. In fact Tyson has been making shots you'd never see him attempting a year ago, hooks and layups from 5-8 ft away. Jeremy Lin in the space of a week went from being a sketchy jump shooter to being able to knock down clutch 3's in big games. Shumperts jump shot has come a long way this season. And I know people have bashed MDA for getting Jorts to shoot 3's but actually making the defense respect him from range makes him an even more deadly player inside where he is already prolific.

    Lastly even his game management has come along leaps and bounds during our win streak. He's rotating as best as possible with the personnel we have available (with the exception of Balkman who quite frankly has been an NBA bench warmer his entire life and a couple of good preseason games doesn't change that). Even in the MIN game where we were not playing from a winning position he got Lin plenty of rest at the start of the 3rd and 4th quarters.

    He has been taking TO's when we need them and not jumping the gun when we don't. In the MIN game Clyde said it best that "the Knicks don't play well out of time outs" which is why we let them go on that potential final possession.

    It's going to be interesting to see how our team fits together and if Mike will keep a 10+ man rotation with the return of Melo and Stat but I actually believe he will.

    Someday soon I might even be willing to say MDA is a good coach again!

  2. #2
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I agree it seems like ever since the emergence of Lin Mike has been coaching way better putting out good lineups, timely TO's, maximizing all these role players potentials.

    Once this team is fully healthy it's gonna be interesting seeing if he can continue with a 10+ man rotation I hope he does it's a good look and can give the stars more rest.

  3. #3
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Lastly even his game management has come along leaps and bounds during our win streak. He's rotating as best as possible with the personnel we have available (with the exception of Balkman who quite frankly has been an NBA bench warmer his entire life and a couple of good preseason games doesn't change that). Even in the MIN game where we were not playing from a winning position he got Lin plenty of rest at the start of the 3rd and 4th quarters.
    Unless you're talking about MDAs use of timeouts in the 2nd half Lin didnt get a rest. He played the entire second half against Minny...

  4. #4
    Superstar YuvalNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I've always been Pro MDA.

    With a good PG, we're starting to see positive results with his system.. imagine better replacements instead of Bibby Douglas Walker Balkman, who haven't been contributing that much since we exploded this week.. and we have a championship calibre team.

    I believe MDA can take us all the way.

  5. #5
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Unless you're talking about MDAs use of timeouts in the 2nd half Lin didnt get a rest. He played the entire second half against Minny...
    You might be right about that, I could be confusing it with the Lakers game or some other part of the same game, was working so not watching too closely.

    Still if that's the only counter you have to that entire post then I'll take it. You can see why we needed Lin for the majority of that game.

  6. #6
    Member c0leworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    I really, really like that play drawn up for Novak in the timberwolves game to tie the game. I respect D'antoni for that.

  7. #7
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by c0leworld
    I really, really like that play drawn up for Novak in the timberwolves game to tie the game. I respect D'antoni for that.
    They've been running that play for a few games now. Noval hit on the same play against LA...

  8. #8
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by c0leworld
    I really, really like that play drawn up for Novak in the timberwolves game to tie the game. I respect D'antoni for that.
    Yeah and you have to give Lin and the rest of the guys a lot of credit for making the play.

    I also loved those 2 MIN timeouts where all the guys were stepping up you could see Tyson and JJ saying who got who and JJ was annoyed at himself for not letting Love take that off balance 3.

  9. #9
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Unless you're talking about MDAs use of timeouts in the 2nd half Lin didnt get a rest. He played the entire second half against Minny...
    No, he didn't.

  10. #10
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    I've been one to bash MDA pretty heavily last year and this year. I was happy to have him coaching from 08-10 especially since his brand of coaching adds value to some players and potentially got us more in return for them. However the flip side to that was us losing good players for next to nothing because of his infamous doghouse. After seeing him last year I was done with him, our total lack of defensive effort and the same old MDA mistakes had me thinking we desperately needed a different approach. Right now I might be willing to change my tune though.

    The Knicks overall this season have played great defense. In part this is down to Tyson Chandler who obviously brings a solid defensive presence, the addition of Shumpert who is amongst the league leaders in steals, and you can't write off Mike Woodson's influence.

    However we can certainly attribute the amazing play of Jared Jefferies somewhat to Mike since most other coaches in the league would probably not even play JJ. We've also seen an amazing increase in Landry Fields defensive effectiveness, finally putting his physical tools to great use at the defensive end.

    Our offense clearly has gone from awful to amazing mostly due to Jeremy Lin but I'm not writing off MDA here either. The kind of offensive plays we are running, the floor spacing, the way Tyson is running the floor and our guards getting up court in seconds is in a big way down to the way Mike likes to play the game and also how he conditions his players. The fact we had enough physical energy to stick it out and eventually pull out a win in MIN has to be partly due to the amazing fitness of our players from running running running in practice every day.

    I also like the way our coaching staff is dealing with our players. Tyson Chandler adding a 10-12 footer would be golden. In fact Tyson has been making shots you'd never see him attempting a year ago, hooks and layups from 5-8 ft away. Jeremy Lin in the space of a week went from being a sketchy jump shooter to being able to knock down clutch 3's in big games. Shumperts jump shot has come a long way this season. And I know people have bashed MDA for getting Jorts to shoot 3's but actually making the defense respect him from range makes him an even more deadly player inside where he is already prolific.

    Lastly even his game management has come along leaps and bounds during our win streak. He's rotating as best as possible with the personnel we have available (with the exception of Balkman who quite frankly has been an NBA bench warmer his entire life and a couple of good preseason games doesn't change that). Even in the MIN game where we were not playing from a winning position he got Lin plenty of rest at the start of the 3rd and 4th quarters.

    He has been taking TO's when we need them and not jumping the gun when we don't. In the MIN game Clyde said it best that "the Knicks don't play well out of time outs" which is why we let them go on that potential final possession.

    It's going to be interesting to see how our team fits together and if Mike will keep a 10+ man rotation with the return of Melo and Stat but I actually believe he will.

    Someday soon I might even be willing to say MDA is a good coach again!
    Why the sudden turn around, though? For Mike, I mean, not you.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,011
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Why the sudden turn around, though? For Mike, I mean, not you.
    Desperation.

  12. #12
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Why the sudden turn around, though? For Mike, I mean, not you.
    Well the turnaround hasn't been so sudden. There are a lot of reasons for it though.

    When we got Melo we tried to play MDA-ball with Billups/Melo. It didn't work. We reverted to Melo-ball which was also unsuccessful as a whole but did keep us in games and won us a few.

    We tried MDA-ball at the start of this season with no success due to Shumpert/Douglas not being distributors of a high enough standard. However the defense improved dramatically due to Tyson, Woodson, and to some degree MDA.

    Lin enters and shows he can be the MDA PG, MDA is galvanized like the rest of our team and coaches to the best of his ability.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Well the turnaround hasn't been so sudden. There are a lot of reasons for it though.

    When we got Melo we tried to play MDA-ball with Billups/Melo. It didn't work. We reverted to Melo-ball which was also unsuccessful as a whole but did keep us in games and won us a few.

    We tried MDA-ball at the start of this season with no success due to Shumpert/Douglas not being distributors of a high enough standard. However the defense improved dramatically due to Tyson, Woodson, and to some degree MDA.

    Lin enters and shows he can be the MDA PG, MDA is galvanized like the rest of our team and coaches to the best of his ability.
    that wasnt even mda ball before the turnaround....zero penetration, little to no off the ball movement. me and 4 guys i never met could play more cohesively than that at my old hs. in mda's defense tho, the offense did start to turn their **** around just before lin arrived.

  14. #14
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Unless you're talking about MDAs use of timeouts in the 2nd half Lin didnt get a rest. He played the entire second half against Minny...
    lin played 39 mins, rubio played 36....
    why is everyone bitching about lin's time?

  15. #15
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by amazinz5
    that wasnt even mda ball before the turnaround....zero penetration, little to no off the ball movement. me and 4 guys i never met could play more cohesively than that at my old hs. in mda's defense tho, the offense did start to turn their **** around just before lin arrived.
    I should have clarified, by the start of the season I meant preseason and 1-2 regular season games. When it became clear that it wasn't working we went to everyone ISO'ing playing schoolyard ball.

Similar Threads

  1. Why Mike D'Antoni needs to be fired
    By Paul1355 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan 21, 2012, 17:07
  2. This Is Why We Need A New Coach.
    By Red in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2011, 07:43
  3. Mike D'Antoni The Meter Is Running
    By KNICKMATIC809 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2010, 19:25
  4. ESPN rates Dantoni's first 2 seasons as coach
    By nyk_nyk in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2010, 13:45
  5. Mike D
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 01, 2009, 19:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •