Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mike D'Antoni's influence on our resurgence

Originally Posted by amazinz5
    1) its been established that mda has shortcomings that are pretty much standard for any other coach to be fine with
    Standard for any other coach? Are you blind? There is no other coach in the league that would allow non shooters such as Jeffries to take long jump shots in the flow of their offense. There is no other coach in the league that see's a man of Jorts size walk into their gym and immediately start honing the kids 3 point shot.

2) thats like asking for interior defense with a soft pf-c combo. you cant credit him in that area but if anyone gets the blame its the person that failed to provide the tools necessary. if lin goes down were screwed but no coach can run an offense smoothly with no pg unless you have a kobe or lebron.
    So the Lakers and heat win while not having a standout PG. Hmmm. I wonder if the teams respective coaches adjusted to this missing piece. Let me ask you.

Would those teams offenses be better with a "REAL" PG with also having LBG and Kobe?

1) its been established that mda has shortcomings in areas that are pretty much standard for any other coach to be fine with
    2) thats like asking for interior defense with a soft pf-c combo. you cant credit him in that area but if anyone gets the blame its the person that failed to provide the tools necessary. if lin goes down were screwed but no coach can run an offense smoothly with no pg unless you have a kobe or lebron.

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Standard for any other coach? Are you blind? There is no other coach in the league that would allow non shooters such as Jeffries to take long jump shots in the flow of their offense. There is no other coach in the league that see's a man of Jorts size walk into their gym and immediately start honing the kids 3 point shot.

So the Lakers and heat win while not having a standout PG. Hmmm. I wonder if the teams respective coaches adjusted to this missing piece. Let me ask you.

Would those teams offenses be better with a "REAL" PG with also having LBG and Kobe?
    i could have worded it better, but if you paid attention to what i've been saying you wouldnt have misinterpreted my point.

i dont understand the comparison you're making. having the extremely rare talents of kobe or lebron can make up for lack of a pg. lebron basically is one and kobe can be an offense. this in no way makes dantoni responsible for not having the pieces needed.

In order for Mike to get credit, he would've had to play Lin (other than garbage time, which illustrates even more) prior to Feb 4th. He didn't, so he doesn't.

Its cool though... we know what's up. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

i dont think (i hope) no one will disagree lin should have been our pg since xmas day, or maybe when we knew shump and baron would both need time. but knowing what we knew then (next to nothing) is it really that bad that it has to take away from anything he does well or extremely well?

if i had a pony and it could only do one thing, but that one thing was to make sofya vergara appear and suck my **** i would not be complaining about what it couldnt do. mike dantoni can make this team as strong an offensive threat as anyone, but we love to harp on what he couldnt do when he didnt have the talent he needed.
    Fortunately for everyone, basksetball isn't as simple as that.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Fortunately for everyone, basksetball isn't as simple as that.
    and fortunately for those that want success above all else, what mda could and couldnt do with a less talented roster is irrelevant.

It's apparent neither side can sway the other side for or against MOA. With that said, it really doesn't even matter because once Jax publicly announces his desire to return to basketball Dolan will have him on speed dial.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Him bringing back a ring should be a foregone conclusion.

The reason I only "MIGHT" consider laying off him is because the team is young enough to win multiple titles.
    What are you smokin', dude????

Do you realize the upper crust teams in the NBA today that exist?

And that we are in Year 1 of this "juggernaut" team you think we have...which, mind you, up until a month ago didn't have a halfway legitimate point guard on its roster! And had two maxed out superstars that anyone with a shred of objectivity knows are some mix of:

overpaid
    flawed
    not true superstars on the level of the studs you reference on other teams

And you reference Lebron, in contrast? As if a team with Melo or Amare can in any way be compared to a team with Lebron? Who, incidentally, has better PG skills and distribution skills than 90% of the point guards in the NBA.

Based off your two above statements about championships, you honestly overrate and overhype our team to an *extreme* extent, while simultaneously underrating and not paying attention to the other franchises in the NBA.

Whether part of that is tied to your admitted dislike of MDA, which gives you a hedge for if we do win a chip: "well, we were supposed to, it's not really that we have a coach who was integral to us getting a miraculous NBA championship".

I challenge Red, or Nyk, or any other MDA critic to honestly back you up on record to both of those statements, about us winning a title being a foregone conclusion, and that somehow a (reasonable) expectation of multiple titles is present because "the team is young".
    Last edited by iSaYughh; Feb 14, 2012 at 13:47.

Veteran

Btw, I called all this out..last year...BEFORE Melo even came:

the logical fallacy of the moving goal post.

That we could win a NBA championship, and the true MDA haters wouldn't have their extreme bias swayed; and would fault MDA for not playing some random D-leauger, or if we didn't repeat a championship in year two (lol@ all this), it would be because MDA and his coaching destroyed a multi-chip dynasty.

Isn't it convenient that whenever something goes wrong, it's almost all MDA; but when we exceed expectations and do well, including the expectations of those who hate MDA, it has nothing to do with MDA being good, but is all about other people....who surely would have done their good even sooner, if it wasn't for this mystical beast of horror who coaches us?

And that this truly epic, almost mythic horror of a coach...just so happens to be a coach of the year winner, and extremely respected and lauded NBA coach and basketball mind by players (including EX-nba players) and coaches, and NBA fans?

Do you guys really think this adds up? Or that maybe, just maybe, there's a deep flaw in your thinking on MDA, that's biasing and polluting many of the arguments you then go on to make?

Veteran

It's apparent neither side can sway the other side for or against MOA. With that said, it really doesn't even matter because once Jax publicly announces his desire to return to basketball Dolan will have him on speed dial.
    The great Jackson; who would only even sniff coming here, if we had proven superstar talent and a loaded roster, just to his liking.

And I dont' fault Jax for that, either; I think he's a very good coach, and a great basketball mind who is the ultimate coach for many rosters.

But there's a certain irony in people complainign about MDA needing these special, super duper players (like an NBA point guard, who incidentally came in the form of a D-league castoff)...

When Jax wouldn't have touched this botchjob team and franchise during the years MDA has been here.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    The great Jackson; who would only even sniff coming here, if we had proven superstar talent and a loaded roster, just to his liking.

And I dont' fault Jax for that, either; I think he's a very good coach, and a great basketball mind who is the ultimate coach for many rosters.

But there's a certain irony in people complainign about MDA needing these special, super duper players (like an NBA point guard, who incidentally came in the form of a D-league castoff)...

When Jax wouldn't have touched this botchjob team and franchise during the years MDA has been here.
    Why don't you explain to everyone why MOA decided to come here?

Remind us again why exactly did we take over 40 3's vs MIA?

In this case- "things going well" can't be because of Mike...
    He already admitted he was clueless in regards to Lin.

Case closed.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    What are you smokin', dude????

Do you realize the upper crust teams in the NBA today that exist?

And that we are in Year 1 of this "juggernaut" team you think we have...which, mind you, up until a month ago didn't have a halfway legitimate point guard on its roster! And had two maxed out superstars that anyone with a shred of objectivity knows are some mix of:

overpaid
    flawed
    not true superstars on the level of the studs you reference on other teams

And you reference Lebron, in contrast? As if a team with Melo or Amare can in any way be compared to a team with Lebron? Who, incidentally, has better PG skills and distribution skills than 90% of the point guards in the NBA.

Based off your two above statements about championships, you honestly overrate and overhype our team to an *extreme* extent, while simultaneously underrating and not paying attention to the other franchises in the NBA.

Whether part of that is tied to your admitted dislike of MDA, which gives you a hedge for if we do win a chip: "well, we were supposed to, it's not really that we have a coach who was integral to us getting a miraculous NBA championship".

I challenge Red, or Nyk, or any other MDA critic to honestly back you up on record to both of those statements, about us winning a title being a foregone conclusion, and that somehow a (reasonable) expectation of multiple titles is present because "the team is young".
    I beg to differ. Sure LBJ & Wade are great talents. They arent unbeatable as witnessed in last years finals. Neither is a knock down no doubt about it game on the line shooters that MJ & Kobe are. They can be beat.

Assuming Lin is the real deal there is no way in hell the Knicks should not be able to beat the Heat or any other team in a 7 game series.

It will come down to defensive intensity & strategy.

On paper the Knicks have the overall roster advantage when completely healthy.

This is truly what I believe...

Originally Posted by Red
    Remind us again why exactly did we take over 40 3's vs MIA?

In this case- "things going well" can't be because of Mike...
    He already admitted he was clueless in regards to Lin.

Case closed.
    who was supposed to create high % shots? toney? melo? GTFO with that **** man. toney made more 3s than anyone the second half last year, should i take that one fact in a vacuum and say its 100% because of mda?

Veteran

Why don't you explain to everyone why MOA decided to come here?
    The $, the lifestyle, the challenge of going to the NBA's laughing stock franchise of dysfuncton and helping to turn it around?

But it doesn't matter. You asking that question just side-steps what does have some relevance, which was pointing out another irony/hypocrisy/flaw in the thinking of some who hate MDA, and glorify other coaches (yes, Jax does deserve glorification, but that's besides the point).

MDA did come, despite obviously embroiling himself in a messy roster and messy franchise; and that he'd obviously take hits from various people because the process of him coaching this team was going to messy.

Chicago wanted MDA just as badly as we did, btw. Isn't that the genius franchise that could do no wrong?

Why do you think Jackson wouldn't and didn't come here, and why it's Basketball 101 that he just so happens to only coach teams with veterans who he likes and loaded superstar talent?

Answer me that.

Because you hurl **** at MDA -- well, people did, before that was proven wrong, too -- about needing some special, star-studded team? Cmon....he needed a ****ing NBA point guard, which he got in the form of a D-leaguer freshly bounced by a team.