Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R. Smith set to return ( Wednesday )

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

Default J.R. Smith set to return ( Wednesday )

Please forgive me if this is on the front page. I am still waking up.

Staff report Sporting News
    Text size [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

After spending the last few months playing in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), it appears J.R. Smith is heading back to the states.
    Smith wrote Saturday on his Twitter account that he would be returning to the United States on Wednesday. That would make the unrestricted free agent available for any number of teams to sign.
    J.R. Smith spent last season in Denver but will be a free agent once he returns to the United States from China. (AP Photo)
    He signed a reported $3 million in September to play for the Zhejiang Golden Bulls during the NBA lockout. The CBA legislated that NBA players who signed during the lockout were not allowed to return to the U.S. to play until their Chinese teams' seasons are over.
    Asia-Basketeball.com reports that Smith has averaged 35.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 29 games while in China. Zhejiang has been mathematically eliminated from the CBA playoffs, according to Sportando.net.
    Numerous teams, including the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic and Indiana Pacers, have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Smith.

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Who would be a better choice... wilson chandler or jr smith?? Man i wish we could get both and release a couple of our guys

Wilson Chandler is a RFA and stated that he would like to go back to the Nuggets.

JR would be big for us, the true definition of instant scoring off the bench. Knicks fans better get on his ass and persuade him to play for the Knicks cause the Clippers are also making a hard push for his services.

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

There is really no shot at anyone getting Will except Denver. They own his rights , and unless they cut him prior to March 1st ( RFA negotiating period closes ) he will have to wait until next season to play for someone else unless he can reach terms with Denver.

Denver does not want to do us any favors I bet they are more upset about the Knicks resurgence more than our divisional rivals. It would be nice and a great way to finish building our team. Everyone could see he was coming into his own prior to the Melo deal. As soon as his name was thrown around in that trade he started to slump a bit.

Well if JR likes Money we have the most

2.5M exception

every other team only has vets minimum

Imagine

G- Lin
    G- Fields
    F- Anthony
    F- Stoudemire
    C- Chandler

Bench
    G- Shumpert
    G- Smith
    F- Novak
    F- Jeffries
    C- Harrellson

Oh Gawd

I believe LAC also have the 2.5 million exception.

Originally Posted by Seba
    I believe LAC also have the 2.5 million exception.
    They also have K-Mart and Billups, two of his former teammates in Denver.

Let's hope he is tighter with Melo and Balkman.

Last I heard we can still offer more than the Clippers can. I could be wrong tho

Same thing i heard... clips offer is less than us... so if thats true of course jr going for more money/fame/nyc/near hometown

Originally Posted by Knicks4Life_1985
    Please forgive me if this is on the front page. I am still waking up.

Staff report Sporting News
    Text size [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

After spending the last few months playing in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), it appears J.R. Smith is heading back to the states.
    Smith wrote Saturday on his Twitter account that he would be returning to the United States on Wednesday. That would make the unrestricted free agent available for any number of teams to sign.
    J.R. Smith spent last season in Denver but will be a free agent once he returns to the United States from China. (AP Photo)
    He signed a reported $3 million in September to play for the Zhejiang Golden Bulls during the NBA lockout. The CBA legislated that NBA players who signed during the lockout were not allowed to return to the U.S. to play until their Chinese teams' seasons are over.
    Asia-Basketeball.com reports that Smith has averaged 35.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 29 games while in China. Zhejiang has been mathematically eliminated from the CBA playoffs, according to Sportando.net.
    Numerous teams, including the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic and Indiana Pacers, have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Smith.

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    he's going to the clippers.. i can't see him going to ny. I would love if he does though

With Shump and Fields doing exceptionally well at the 2, never mind Smith's reputation as a disruption, is there really room for him?

I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    With Shump and Fields doing exceptionally well at the 2, never mind Smith's reputation as a disruption, is there really room for him?

I'm not so sure.

exactly we already have Fields, Shumpert and Douglas we don't need 4th SG on this team.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s

I'm not so sure.
    Well if Bibby can get time, Smith sure as heck could. He might not have the best field goal percentage, but his skills and streakyness combined with Lin (and Baron when he comes back) controlling the ball most of the time is definitely a no-brainer imo. There's no one else to use the 2.5 million on, let's just get it done and figure everything out after.

Originally Posted by InGodsHands
    exactly we already have Fields, Shumpert and Douglas we don't need 4th SG on this team.
    Douglas should not be playing until his shoulder and if any other pain he has heels.

we dont even know that he'd be better than shumpert i dont really see the point. if were gonna bring anyone else in it needs to be a pure pg or a pure c to come off the bench.