Attention because of his race....

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I don't think race is a big reason. I think if it were any guy who were overlooked and cut twice and sent down to the D-League who went and dropped 38 points on the Lakers and had one of the best streaks ever to start his pro career, he'd be mentioned in the same breath. America loves rags-to-riches stories, guys.

Race definitely factored in, mostly because every single Division I college passed on this guy because of his race (seriously he led his HS team to a state championship in California and didn't get a SINGLE scholarship offer from a school). If the guy got screwed over in the past because of his race, why is it such a big deal that his race plays a role in his rise to fame?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Also if you want to talk about race, the kid LITERALLY went to high school across the street from Stanford. Palo Alto High School is across the street from Stanford University's athletic complex, so the kid literally went to school across the street from Stanford and they missed out on him.

Joe Lacob, current owner of the Warriors, is also a Stanford University booster who wanted Stanford to recruit him. Of course, Stanford ignored him, and when he got a chance, he snagged Lin for himself.

It's pretty sad that this kid did so much in high school and literally didn't get a single D-1 scholarship from even a mid-major school. There's no doubt that racism played a role in why he wasn't recruited by a college.

I hate it when races gets involved or people throw race into the hat, it's ****ing disgusting.

Racism is the last thing on earth we need, together with religious fanatism.

**** everybody who supports racism or racist views!

There are only basketball players in the NBA and nothing else in my eyes and Jeremy LIn has been a great basketball player so far in the very few appearances he's had. :thumbsup:

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
If he said a very small part of it is his race is fine, but he said black people do what he does which is 100% false. It was about a great basketball player until Floyd made it about black people. It has NOTHING to do with black people.

fender0577

Rotation player
Floyd is a BOXER, everything boxers say is to promote a fight, he's an expert in the ring, not on the court, so when he starts talking boxing again i'll listen.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Boxer Floyd Mayweather believes that New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is getting national attention because of his race, rather than his exceptional play.

Right or wrong? What's KOL's take on Mayweathers comments?

I would say his race is why he didn't get a chance on many teams, not his race being the reason he's getting attention.

fender0577

Rotation player
I would say his race is why he didn't get a chance on many teams, not his race being the reason he's getting attention.
The reason he didn't get a chance in GS, was because they have one of the best young back courts in the NBA, not his race, as for the attention, i think it has a little to do with race, but, it's more of playing in the largest media market in the world.He's also putting up great numbers, were on a 5 game win streak, without our 2 best players.I think it's more of use winning without STAT and MELO, more than anything.

clumsy

Rotation player
Floyd is just trying to get NBA fans to watch his eventual fight with Pacquiao. I hate Mayweather cuz I think he would have won no matter when he fought Pacquiao....but now has dragged it to when both him and Pac are on the decline....Like a gambler that just doesn't know when to take the money.

Maybe some of it has to do with it. But, in my opinion...it's a combination of many things drawing this attention. First of all...he's playing in the NY spot light/ D'ant was on the hot seat/ the team wasn't playing well or with intensity/ Stat and Melo were out/ and B.Davis is probably done/ Lin was waived by 2 teams/ He slept on Landry's couch then moved to his brothers couch/ D'ant had him riding the pine/ sent him to the D-League/ came back and rode the pine some more/ he was probably thinking his time in the NBA was on the verge of being over...then suddenly he was thrown in the game when all else failed.

Since then he has played with great intensity and that alone is going to be contageous. All those factors (and a few minor ones) is what's putting this guy in the spot light. The irony is that a couch probably was the inspiration for him to get off of his ass and be something great. Could it be lingering effects of the superbowl? maybe, but I doubt it. This kid is playing with heart and having fun. I knew he was a passing PG but didn't know he had the muster to open up his game and others, a pleasant suprise to say the least. A true Lin-derrella story if I ever heard of one. I just hope he or the coach dosen't wear him out.

There are plenty of games left and I hope Stat and mello will take some of the weight off his shoulders...

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Floyd said. He's a champ too. You just have to know his mouth is part of his sales pitch, it's what he does. Boxing is filled with high strung people with mouths just as big as their heads.

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
To put things in perspective, a good analogy would be to put a black guy in the NHL with above average hockey skills.I guarantee he would be praised.. Him being asian is part of it but he has already shown this kind of play is not short term.

fakeknicksfan

Benchwarmer
Floyd Mayweather should shup his pie hole. He's a chicken for a long time and I won't forget his cheap punch last year and how he argue and disrespect a 80 years old post game. He's a nasty human being. Lin did get attention because his race and what's wrong with that?

fender0577

Rotation player
To put things in perspective, a good analogy would be to put a black guy in the NHL with above average hockey skills.I guarantee he would be praised.. Him being asian is part of it but he has already shown this kind of play is not short term.
Jarome Iginla, but LIN is getting more hype, and JI is and allstar.:afro:

portega1968

El Cacique
Mayweather should be focusing on the upset that Cotto has in store for him. A left hook will bring him back to reality on May5th.

fakeknicksfan

Benchwarmer
Stanford is literally across a boulevard from Palo Alto High School, where Lin led the Vikings to a 32-1 record and the CIF state championship as a senior. Yet then-Stanford coach Trent Johnson wouldn't walk across the street to sign him.

"We knew all about him," admits Johnson, now the coach at LSU. "But nobody in the Bay Area saw then what we're seeing now. ? It wasn't like there was pressure on me to recruit him. There was zero pressure. None."

Across the bay lies Cal, where Lin desperately wanted to play. But Bears coach Ben Braun was Lindifferent. He passed.

"But hey, I passed on Steve Nash, too," concedes Braun, now the coach at Rice. "We just didn't extend Jeremy a scholarship. I love the kid, but we just didn't. ? I don't feel too bad. At least I'm not the only one."

So What's your point Mr.Braun?

rady

Administrator
Staff member

I'm not very familliar with the game of golf, but the rise of Tiger Woods was something simillar?

Oak

Rookie
This is absolutely intolerable. Mayweather is a racist ****. Lin plays beautifully well and the fame is 100 % deserved.
First when i looked to Lin i never thought of his color skin... makes me puke.:barf:

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Although I am not a mayweather fan, and don't completely agree but the degree of his race does play a major role in his hype. C'mon people him being asian is bringing some added hype. People become so nervous and scared when race is mentioned but he's not being a racist, he's brining light to the fact.

He is an exceptional ball player and has game, however, his race does add some fuel to his fire. Now don't take this the wrong way, his story/journey and play have been contribution but to dissmiss his race is just foolish.