Attention because of his race....

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
He's definitely getting a lot of attention because of his race, but he's also been phenomenal, that is why all this support isn't gonna be over next week.

smokes

Huge Member
"Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise," Mayweather wrote on his Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

LOL Floyd Mayweather shouldn't be allowed to open his mouth... Lin would KO this fool with one punch.

LeFlume

All Star
Zeke said something similar about Larry Bird back in the day. Something like -if Larry Bird was black he woulden't be that good or something...

KingCharles34

All Star
Floyds one of my top 5 favorite boxers of all time but race is only half of it, like runningjumper alluded too.

I dont really think theres anything wrong with Lin getting attention because of his race, he is the first Asian American basketball player to play in the NBA. Yao Ming got alotta attention too but its a little different, Yao's Chinese and he was born in China. Plus he had higher expectations from day one

knicksin60

Starter
When it comes to putting up numbers that Lin has put up in the last five games, yes, there are non Asian players in the NBA that do that every night.But no players in the NBA besides Lin have gone from being a D-Leaguer one week to being one of the most dominating players in the NBA the next week.Mayweather is a hater and has an IQ that makes Mike Tyson's look like Einstein's.

LeFlume

All Star
Jeremy Lin is an American. He is born and raised here. He got his basketball education in US. Mayweather is just stupid. There is nothing "Asian" in his game..

iSaYughh

Starter
Pretty Boy needs to get his ass back in the ring, and keep his controversies to boxing where he knows wtf he's talking about.

Idk if he's just ignorant and bored, or legit has some emo beef about non-black NBA players and is feeling butthurt because the only media attention he's been getting is about prison, shitty opponents, and not geting it done in negotiating with Pacman.

It's true that some of the publicity Lin gets is because he is Asian; though Lin himself hasn't been milking that shit just to get media attention.

PBF, ironically, is milking The Rise Of Lin from a race perspective to get a little shine from the talking heads.

PBF isn't a ignorant dumbass, so I'm sure he knows that an Ivey Leaguer who suddenly comes from D-League to balling on Kobe as star PG of the New York Knicks in under a month has zero to do w/ race.

iSaYughh

Starter
Floyds one of my top 5 favorite boxers of all time but race is only half of it, like runningjumper alluded too.

I dont really think theres anything wrong with Lin getting attention because of his race, he is the first Asian American basketball player to play in the NBA. Yao Ming got alotta attention too but its a little different, Yao's Chinese and he was born in China. Plus he had higher expectations from day one

Exactly. Nobody beefs when Tiger got some extra pub in his early days by being a black golfer on the rise; same for the Williams sisters in tennis, or even top prospects like Donald Young.

They had their haters and racist bullshit thrown their way, but you take it on the chin like a man and keep balling. Not like Lin doesn't get racist shit thrown his way all the time, dating back to his college days.

When a Hasidic Jew spits out raps and hip hop and gets a soundtrack on iTunes, he gets some extra attention bc of his race/religion, too.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
1) nobody has ever done what lin has done, which is even more impressive considering his overuse and how bad the offense was
2) black basketball players basically get all the attention when lin isn't setting records
3) where was he when lin was counted out because he's Asian?
4) I seem to remember a black baseball player that would have been just another great if he were white or hispanic

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
If you ask me the biggest story about Lin isn't his race or his stats but the affect he has had on our team's mental approach to games. He was a no one and he turned guys like Jeffries, Walker, and Novak into players who refuse to loose.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
If you ask me the biggest story about Lin isn't his race or his stats but the affect he has had on our team's mental approach to games. He was a no one and he turned guys like Jeffries, Walker, and Novak into players who refuse to loose.

i agree but lol at the walker part

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
i-hate-attention-seekers.jpg

Surely this dude's drawing attention to himself by drawing attention to Lin's race.

Attention seekers: ****ing annoying.

CoolClyde

pink floyd mayweather has no clue, he's a talented dude, but an a-hole.
sure, folks are having fun with Lin's heritage and race and the relative ease
of making Lin-tastic puns, but being Asian has NOTHING to do with what he's
done, and the headlines he's created. he went from nothing to superstar in
1 week, turned the biggest team in basketball around by himself, and is the
essence of good guy does great, poor man gets rich, unknown gets famous,
in 1 WEEK's TIME!! A PHENOMENON! from the couch to the clouds!

Meanwhile, Mayweather refused to fight Manny Packawow unless the guy had
3 blood tests before the fight, in essence weakening his opponent before he'll
even sign the contract. he's a cheater, a loudmouth creep who called out the
great 80 year old Larry Merchant after his last fight, and hasn't lived up to his
reputation of greatest pound for pound fighter because he's scared to fight Manny.

that's my take on it. phuck phloyd fairweather, STFU!

Sage

Rotation player
It's naive to think his ethnicity hasn't contributed in any way to the fame he's gotten recently, for example all my asian friends won't shut up about him. :)

But it's the rags-to-riches sort of story that's caught everyone's imaginations, it's the never-before-seen stat lines from his firs 3 starts tha's generated the buzz.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
It's because of his race and because he went to Harvard. Of course it is, and yea he's getting the Tebow treatment but hey I don't give a fvck, I'll enjoy the ride while its happening and hope the team continues to play this style, whether Lin regresses or continues to excel

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
pink floyd mayweather has no clue, he's a talented dude, but an a-hole.
sure, folks are having fun with Lin's heritage and race and the relative ease
of making Lin-tastic puns, but being Asian has NOTHING to do with what he's
done, and the headlines he's created. he went from nothing to superstar in
1 week, turned the biggest team in basketball around by himself, and is the
essence of good guy does great, poor man gets rich, unknown gets famous,
in 1 WEEK's TIME!! A PHENOMENON! from the couch to the clouds!

Meanwhile, Mayweather refused to fight Manny Packawow unless the guy had
3 blood tests before the fight, in essence weakening his opponent before he'll
even sign the contract. he's a cheater, a loudmouth creep who called out the
great 80 year old Larry Merchant after his last fight, and hasn't lived up to his
reputation of greatest pound for pound fighter because he's scared to fight Manny.

that's my take on it. phuck phloyd fairweather, STFU!

C'mon man, NOTHING to do with him being Asian? dont' be naive. Enjoy the run, but don't act as if you don't know sports, and the media in general. Its one part Production, one Part Asian, and one Harvard, and one part rags to riches.

btw, your theory on the blood test and weakening Pac-man..I guess you forget that Mayweather would have also taken the same blood test. imjussayin

CoolClyde

C'mon man, NOTHING to do with him being Asian? dont' be naive. Enjoy the run, but don't act as if you don't know sports, and the media in general. Its one part Production, one Part Asian, and one Harvard, and one part rags to riches.

btw, your theory on the blood test and weakening Pac-man..I guess you forget that Mayweather would have also taken the same blood test. imjussayin

i think anyone coming off the bench into the limelight in NYC, devoid of the race issue, would have received the same amount of national attention had they done what LINcoln has done last week. of course, the Asian community has caught on like wildfire, so granted, there's MORE attention due to the amount of fans of said persuASIAN.

don't care that gayweather would have taken same test, it's a knowledgable given, he was just looking for a way to weaken opponent, and besides, I'm sure he'd cheat. JMHO duuuuuude.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
The funny part about this was ESPN was debating the same thing today and a few days ago, then when Floyd said it they took it and spun it into a controversial statement made by him. Now i see on his pg hes saying exactly what I said this m...orning. Got to love the media lol. Fact is everyone loves the underdog and comeback story regardless of race. Its always played out in sports. Its why everyone went Tebow crazy months ago, why everyone loved People like Rudy. Why we love a damn near 50 yr old Hopkins still boxing. It's his story more then anything that is propelling him. From the bottom to the top but no one would care if he wasn't winning or putting up numbers so its largely based on performance then background.

But in all honesty while not the biggest factor race is still one.They outwardly talked about how revenue is boosting because he is an Asian player, at least 10 NYK gms have been added in Asian countries as well as increase advertising from them. His race is helping him gain international appeal which would not be the case if he was the avg black or white player. The NBA is smartly pushing him the same way the Warriors admitted they did over other high profile players they drafted in order to draw in the large Asian fan base in GS. They've been trying to start a 8 team league in China for the past few yrs and viewership dropped once Yao retired and halted plans. The fact that there has never been anyone before him of his background to do what hes doing is a part of his story and there's nothing wrong with that. Actually it's great and hopefully Breaks down some of the barriers Lin said he had to face. He felt he was overlooked by colleges because of his race and was even told where to go for Volley Ball when he entered gyms SMH.

Its natural for people of all races to root for their own especially when they're the minority. Even Haitians I know that hate the Giants root for PIerre Paul. Shit i didn't start watching golf until I heard about Tiger, this black guy dominating a predominantly white sport. I wanted to see this great new star but partly because he was black. Well that was until he said he wasn't but that's another story LOL.