Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attention because of his race....

It's naive to think his ethnicity hasn't contributed in any way to the fame he's gotten recently, for example all my asian friends won't shut up about him.

But it's the rags-to-riches sort of story that's caught everyone's imaginations, it's the never-before-seen stat lines from his firs 3 starts tha's generated the buzz.

Superstar

It's because of his race and because he went to Harvard. Of course it is, and yea he's getting the Tebow treatment but hey I don't give a fvck, I'll enjoy the ride while its happening and hope the team continues to play this style, whether Lin regresses or continues to excel

Superstar

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    pink floyd mayweather has no clue, he's a talented dude, but an a-hole.
    sure, folks are having fun with Lin's heritage and race and the relative ease
    of making Lin-tastic puns, but being Asian has NOTHING to do with what he's
    done, and the headlines he's created. he went from nothing to superstar in
    1 week, turned the biggest team in basketball around by himself, and is the
    essence of good guy does great, poor man gets rich, unknown gets famous,
    in 1 WEEK's TIME!! A PHENOMENON! from the couch to the clouds!

Meanwhile, Mayweather refused to fight Manny Packawow unless the guy had
    3 blood tests before the fight, in essence weakening his opponent before he'll
    even sign the contract. he's a cheater, a loudmouth creep who called out the
    great 80 year old Larry Merchant after his last fight, and hasn't lived up to his
    reputation of greatest pound for pound fighter because he's scared to fight Manny.

that's my take on it. phuck phloyd fairweather, STFU!
    C'mon man, NOTHING to do with him being Asian? dont' be naive. Enjoy the run, but don't act as if you don't know sports, and the media in general. Its one part Production, one Part Asian, and one Harvard, and one part rags to riches.

btw, your theory on the blood test and weakening Pac-man..I guess you forget that Mayweather would have also taken the same blood test. imjussayin

Originally Posted by lilman_bklyn
    C'mon man, NOTHING to do with him being Asian? dont' be naive. Enjoy the run, but don't act as if you don't know sports, and the media in general. Its one part Production, one Part Asian, and one Harvard, and one part rags to riches.

btw, your theory on the blood test and weakening Pac-man..I guess you forget that Mayweather would have also taken the same blood test. imjussayin
    i think anyone coming off the bench into the limelight in NYC, devoid of the race issue, would have received the same amount of national attention had they done what LINcoln has done last week. of course, the Asian community has caught on like wildfire, so granted, there's MORE attention due to the amount of fans of said persuASIAN.

don't care that gayweather would have taken same test, it's a knowledgable given, he was just looking for a way to weaken opponent, and besides, I'm sure he'd cheat. JMHO duuuuuude.

The funny part about this was ESPN was debating the same thing today and a few days ago, then when Floyd said it they took it and spun it into a controversial statement made by him. Now i see on his pg hes saying exactly what I said this m...orning. Got to love the media lol. Fact is everyone loves the underdog and comeback story regardless of race. Its always played out in sports. Its why everyone went Tebow crazy months ago, why everyone loved People like Rudy. Why we love a damn near 50 yr old Hopkins still boxing. It's his story more then anything that is propelling him. From the bottom to the top but no one would care if he wasn't winning or putting up numbers so its largely based on performance then background.

But in all honesty while not the biggest factor race is still one.They outwardly talked about how revenue is boosting because he is an Asian player, at least 10 NYK gms have been added in Asian countries as well as increase advertising from them. His race is helping him gain international appeal which would not be the case if he was the avg black or white player. The NBA is smartly pushing him the same way the Warriors admitted they did over other high profile players they drafted in order to draw in the large Asian fan base in GS. They've been trying to start a 8 team league in China for the past few yrs and viewership dropped once Yao retired and halted plans. The fact that there has never been anyone before him of his background to do what hes doing is a part of his story and there's nothing wrong with that. Actually it's great and hopefully Breaks down some of the barriers Lin said he had to face. He felt he was overlooked by colleges because of his race and was even told where to go for Volley Ball when he entered gyms SMH.

Its natural for people of all races to root for their own especially when they're the minority. Even Haitians I know that hate the Giants root for PIerre Paul. **** i didn't start watching golf until I heard about Tiger, this black guy dominating a predominantly white sport. I wanted to see this great new star but partly because he was black. Well that was until he said he wasn't but that's another story LOL.

Veteran

I don't think race is a big reason. I think if it were any guy who were overlooked and cut twice and sent down to the D-League who went and dropped 38 points on the Lakers and had one of the best streaks ever to start his pro career, he'd be mentioned in the same breath. America loves rags-to-riches stories, guys.

Race definitely factored in, mostly because every single Division I college passed on this guy because of his race (seriously he led his HS team to a state championship in California and didn't get a SINGLE scholarship offer from a school). If the guy got screwed over in the past because of his race, why is it such a big deal that his race plays a role in his rise to fame?

Veteran

Also if you want to talk about race, the kid LITERALLY went to high school across the street from Stanford. Palo Alto High School is across the street from Stanford University's athletic complex, so the kid literally went to school across the street from Stanford and they missed out on him.

Joe Lacob, current owner of the Warriors, is also a Stanford University booster who wanted Stanford to recruit him. Of course, Stanford ignored him, and when he got a chance, he snagged Lin for himself.

It's pretty sad that this kid did so much in high school and literally didn't get a single D-1 scholarship from even a mid-major school. There's no doubt that racism played a role in why he wasn't recruited by a college.

I hate it when races gets involved or people throw race into the hat, it's ****ing disgusting.

Racism is the last thing on earth we need, together with religious fanatism.

**** everybody who supports racism or racist views!

There are only basketball players in the NBA and nothing else in my eyes and Jeremy LIn has been a great basketball player so far in the very few appearances he's had.

If he said a very small part of it is his race is fine, but he said black people do what he does which is 100% false. It was about a great basketball player until Floyd made it about black people. It has NOTHING to do with black people.

Superstar

Floyd is a BOXER, everything boxers say is to promote a fight, he's an expert in the ring, not on the court, so when he starts talking boxing again i'll listen.

Manny Pacquiao tweeted "God bless Jeremy Lin." LOL #TeamPacMan

Originally Posted by LeFlume
    Boxer Floyd Mayweather believes that New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is getting national attention because of his race, rather than his exceptional play.

Right or wrong? What's KOL's take on Mayweathers comments?
    I would say his race is why he didn't get a chance on many teams, not his race being the reason he's getting attention.

Superstar

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I would say his race is why he didn't get a chance on many teams, not his race being the reason he's getting attention.
    The reason he didn't get a chance in GS, was because they have one of the best young back courts in the NBA, not his race, as for the attention, i think it has a little to do with race, but, it's more of playing in the largest media market in the world.He's also putting up great numbers, were on a 5 game win streak, without our 2 best players.I think it's more of use winning without STAT and MELO, more than anything.

Superstar

Floyd is just trying to get NBA fans to watch his eventual fight with Pacquiao. I hate Mayweather cuz I think he would have won no matter when he fought Pacquiao....but now has dragged it to when both him and Pac are on the decline....Like a gambler that just doesn't know when to take the money.

Veteran

Maybe some of it has to do with it. But, in my opinion...it's a combination of many things drawing this attention. First of all...he's playing in the NY spot light/ D'ant was on the hot seat/ the team wasn't playing well or with intensity/ Stat and Melo were out/ and B.Davis is probably done/ Lin was waived by 2 teams/ He slept on Landry's couch then moved to his brothers couch/ D'ant had him riding the pine/ sent him to the D-League/ came back and rode the pine some more/ he was probably thinking his time in the NBA was on the verge of being over...then suddenly he was thrown in the game when all else failed.

Since then he has played with great intensity and that alone is going to be contageous. All those factors (and a few minor ones) is what's putting this guy in the spot light. The irony is that a couch probably was the inspiration for him to get off of his ass and be something great. Could it be lingering effects of the superbowl? maybe, but I doubt it. This kid is playing with heart and having fun. I knew he was a passing PG but didn't know he had the muster to open up his game and others, a pleasant suprise to say the least. A true Lin-derrella story if I ever heard of one. I just hope he or the coach dosen't wear him out.

There are plenty of games left and I hope Stat and mello will take some of the weight off his shoulders...

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Floyd said. He's a champ too. You just have to know his mouth is part of his sales pitch, it's what he does. Boxing is filled with high strung people with mouths just as big as their heads.