Thread: Carmelo and Amare must buy into DEFENSE

Default Carmelo and Amare must buy into DEFENSE

Carmelo and Amare must buy into defense more than anything else. I'm not in the least bit worried about how the offense will look... ok maybe alittle bit, but I'm a million times more wary of whether or not the defense will suffer when these guys get back more than anything. We've been a gritty, scrappy bunch since they've been out and this needs to continue when they get back if we want to reach championship level.

Amare's defense- almost horrible to watch he has to be in the mood to play defense, he makes scrubs look like stars just ask the bobcats (diaw)

Carmelo's defense- seems like he only plays defense when he has competition (Lebron), (kobe), etc but he at least attempts to play defense at times

offensively players will struggle some nights, but theres no excuse for not bringing the defensive effort every night.

Has a team ever won an NBA championship having their two top scorers be the worst defenders in the starting lineup?

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Ball movement and passing is a little more important to me. Amare and Melo will always put 90% of their energy into offense...so they might as well be efficient offensive players since their effort on D is 10%.

^True. The old you can't teach an old dog new tricks theory always comes to mind when I think of Melo and Amare on the defensive end. I just hope they atleast try to cover their man instead of the half assed fake hustle we see alot of times with them. No doubt their offense will be good enough to get us over the hump if they just get stops when we need it most.

Carmelo can at least get some steals and rebounds. He's terrible at switching, many times someone picks his guy on a switch but Carmelo doesn't give a damn about moving his ass and guarding a guy who's left open. Besides, he gets lazy if he has to move back to defense in time, even our bigs are back on their spots and Carmelo walks like he's nothing to do. But, sometimes you can see some effort and he's good at stealing and grabbing boards.

Amare, he showed many times he can rebound or block a shot, but he lacks effort, I wonder how's that possible that guys like Calderon can shoot over him...

Veteran

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    Carmelo can at least get some steals and rebounds. He's terrible at switching, many times someone picks his guy on a switch but Carmelo doesn't give a damn about moving his ass and guarding a guy who's left open. Besides, he gets lazy if he has to move back to defense in time, even our bigs are back on their spots and Carmelo walks like he's nothing to do. But, sometimes you can see some effort and he's good at stealing and grabbing boards.

Amare, he showed many times he can rebound or block a shot, but he lacks effort, I wonder how's that possible that guys like Calderon can shoot over him...
    Amare is very tentative on defense.....almost like he fears injury....Melo just looks lazy....

these guys are not under the microscope of the world right now.....something tells me they will both step rather then be benched.......will be interesting to see how much BALLS Dantonio has if guys do not play defense....

L