Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeremy Lin: D'antoni Saved My Career

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    in a way they saved each others career.

Most likey Lin would of still been overlooked by teams

and

Dantoni was on the verge of being fired.
    nope. logical thought is not allowed. when given information you must MAKE INFERENCES CUZ LOGICZ

Originally Posted by amazinz5
    nope. logical thought is not allowed. when given information you must MAKE INFERENCES CUZ LOGICZ
    all 30 teams passed on him in the draft, some of them twice. He got waived by golden state twice one time including training camp, got waived by the rockets, the Lakers passed on Lin etc. The offense Lin is currently in gives him the free will to shine on the court and show what he can do. What other team was honestly going to give Lin this chance Dantoni gave him, the teams that Were interested in Lin were already Guard loaded. Nobody new what he was capable of and Nobody was willing to find out. He would be playing in the D-league right now if Dantoni did not play him, if not the D-league he would be routing on someones bench just waiting to be waived.

Thx Isayuughh.

OP is all obvious.

People who deny it can't see through there own hatred for MDA. Point blank.

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    all 30 teams passed on him in the draft, some of them twice. He got waived by golden state twice one time including training camp, got waived by the rockets, the Lakers passed on Lin etc. The offense Lin is currently in gives him the free will to shine on the court and show what he can do. What other team was honestly going to give Lin this chance Dantoni gave him, the teams that Were interested in Lin were already Guard loaded. Nobody new what he was capable of and Nobody was willing to find out. He would be playing in the D-league right now if Dantoni did not play him, if not the D-league he would be routing on someones bench just waiting to be waived.
    I am of the opinion (almost fact) that it's both. They're a match. Nobody can say Nash would have put up the exact same numbers he did on every single other team. Nobody can say with certainly that either is as much as an iota more responsible for our success than the other.

Veteran

Originally Posted by amazinz5
    I am of the opinion (almost fact) that it's both. They're a match. Nobody can say Nash would have put up the exact same numbers he did on every single other team. Nobody can say with certainly that either is as much as an iota more responsible for our success than the other.
    Exactly. And of course (except if one where to go down the argumentative road of placing a premium on one side of the equation, it's clear which side has more bullets in it's gun).

You (should) put a premium on what actually is, and what clearly is not. And any tangental postulations (ie, could Lin have started a week earlier and had the same success), should pay logical respect to those realities (ie it is absurd and inane to connect any negativity to D'antoni with any theoretical talk about if Lin could have started sooner and had the same success).

The gist of the dialogue around Lin clearly should be the utterly astounding success he has under D'antoni, and under D'antoni's system. Which, if you did want to bring in outside circumstance to fortify an argument about how much

*it is D'antoni

vs

*Lin himself

would favor the former, since the success of Lin specifically under D'antoni isn't quite as tremendous of an outlier as it otherwise is, when considering the other outliers of player performance who specifically (and surprisingly) flourished under D'antoni.

And of course, what Lin has done defies anything he has done with any other team; and defies the expectations of what he would have done with any other team, even if they theoretically gave him the chance.

Conjuring up arguments about whether or not Lin could have started a day or a week or a second sooner just completely misses the point.

The irony, is that nobody "pro-MDA" rushed to flood the forums with how Lin was such a product of D'antoni's genius -- despite that argument carrying far more substance, and having more bullets in its chamber than the other side of that argument, which incidentally has flooded the forum at every opportunity to quickly spin Lin's success as being a *negative* against D'antoni.

Veteran

Unhappy Close this foolish THREAD

This is a BULLSHIIIT thread......

Jeremy Lin brings a chemistry the Knicks did not have under the tour of headcoach Dantoni.
    Most important Lin has boosted his teammates confidence in believing in their own talent....
    have u seen Jefferies performance lately? it matches the Championship Detroit Pistons Prince.
    Do anyone recall Tyson Chandler ever being an offensive threat in his career???

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    The triangle needs a dominant wing, I don't think it necessarily has to be a shooting guard, but that's whatever.

I agree that MDA's "system" fits for a heady PG like Lin, the problem was trying to fit square pegs in a round hole with TD and Shump playing the "Nash role" in his system. Gregg Pops is able to adjust to his roster, Carlisle was able to adjust to his roster, Adleman has done a FANTASTIC job at that throughout his coaching career and is continuing that in Minny. I look at what Collins is doing with Jrue Holiday (a man who is a tried and true 2-guard playing the 1) and Iggy in Philly, and it's working. Melo and Iggy were averaging damn near the same assists per game, while Jrue is at 5. That's 9 assists between your 1 and 3....why was MDA pigeonholing TD and Shump into a system that doesn't work for them?

That's concerning when I see a coach not recognizing what he has, or even worsen, recognizes what he has....but doesn't give a ****, because it wouldn't work in his system.

All of that being said, if he can work on his roster usage and rotations (where the F*CK is Jerome Jordan?!?!?) and some in game strategies (timeout usage, switching on the PnR, when to go over the screen, when to go under, etc) we'll be fine.

Superstar

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    The triangle needs a dominant wing, I don't think it necessarily has to be a shooting guard, but that's whatever.

I agree that MDA's "system" fits for a heady PG like Lin, the problem was trying to fit square pegs in a round hole with TD and Shump playing the "Nash role" in his system. Gregg Pops is able to adjust to his roster, Carlisle was able to adjust to his roster, Adleman has done a FANTASTIC job at that throughout his coaching career and is continuing that in Minny. I look at what Collins is doing with Jrue Holiday (a man who is a tried and true 2-guard playing the 1) and Iggy in Philly, and it's working. Melo and Iggy were averaging damn near the same assists per game, while Jrue is at 5. That's 9 assists between your 1 and 3....why was MDA pigeonholing TD and Shump into a system that doesn't work for them?

That's concerning when I see a coach not recognizing what he has, or even worsen, recognizes what he has....but doesn't give a ****, because it wouldn't work in his system.

All of that being said, if he can work on his roster usage and rotations (where the F*CK is Jerome Jordan?!?!?) and some in game strategies (timeout usage, switching on the PnR, when to go over the screen, when to go under, etc) we'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Knicks#7

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    "Just to know when I missed a few shots, he told me to continue to shoot.

I dont mean any harm, but MDA tells everyone to continue to shoot. Hence the problem...
    Barnes was actually talking about Don Nelson, not MDA. Don helped get the GSW's of 2007 to beat the Mavs with that kind of an attitude.

There is a lot to be said about confidence and poise in the game of basketball. Having your coach tell you it's ok to shoot the open look can help break you out of a slump. It's up to the player on the floor to decide if he is open. But when he is, with confidence and comfort, he should be able to knock it down. Hell, even jefferies can drain a shot when he's open and in rhythm.

Point of the matter is; With a PG having good court vision, there is nothing wrong with D'ants system. It works well, sets up amazing offensive possessions that result in big time leads. Working from a position of power and with a lead on the score board this system is great.

The issue people have had with D'antoni goes back to his lack of focus on defensive principals and his inability to adjust the system to the players we had. This is a real criticism with merit. Why we had Dantoni for so long without a real pass first PG was dumbfounding for knicks fans. It seemed our roster and our coach just did not match up. Luckily for D'ant the Knicks had one such PG buried on their bench and the circumstances allowed for him to have this coming out party.

It's obvious that D'ant feels that Defense is something you should have learned in grade school and comes with effort and hustle. There's not a ton he feels he can teach players on that end as it simply requires effort. He values offensive possessions and points. With Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert we have some very good defensive players that, coupled with Mike Woodson, harp on the rest of the team the importance of team effort on the defensive end. This is infectious and takes a lot of the heat off of D'antoni to get the guys to play good D. Allowing him to focus on the offensive end is how he thrives.

I think the ceiling on this team just got blown wide open. We don't need a CP3 with Lin here and we can spend the money we would have on him, on sound role players like shump, fields, chandler and others I'm sure we will bring in. Even with the squad we have now I think the Knicks should be able to work themselves into the top 4 in the east and are definite contenders.

Looking at the bigger picture with this team one has to be very encouraged. When we get caught up on the details like "coach doesn't scream about D" or "why is balkman rotting on the bench?" "lin saved d'ant" "Dan't saved Lin" etc. we lose sight of the fact that this team is currently constructed to be a force through out the league. We are destined for some playoff greatness with the right combination of coaches/system, personnel, effort, scoring and defense.

Despite the short comings of coach D'antoni, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth here and continue to call for him to be removed. His system works for the team as it is constructed right now and I'm simply going to enjoy the ride for the time being.

Maybe after we taste an ECF's defeat or two I'll be willing to hop back on the fire d'ant train. But I think we have every opportunity to win it all right now.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Figure a thread about D'antoni that's based off NBA players, scouts, and professionals would be good for a change.

Agree, disagree, or simply soak it in. Meat and potatoes in quotes below, some at the end are especially interesting:
    lin is so humble that he is giving mike d too much praise...Lin saved mike d job!!!!

Everybody should be thanking Lin.

D'Antoni should be thanking Lin for saving his job.

Melo should be thanking Lin because he is dangerously close to being the next Starbury in New York.

Amare should be thanking Lin because he was looking completely useless.

Ditto for Fields.

And finally, Knick fans should be thanking him because those who thought Woodson was going to just step in and turn that team into contenders were fooling themselves.