Knicks Can Keep Lin With $5 Million Exception

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
That wouldn't hurt us, I can see Nash and Lin playing together, best combo of PG's. After we win a chip, Nash retires, Lin learns from Nash and molds into a top 5 PG in the NBA.
No..I meant the Knicks plan on spending Lins contract on Nash.
The Knicks wont be able to match other offers without their MLE, which would be used on Nash.

Wargames

Starter
ok I could of sworn I read that keeping Lin and Fields was a separate move to using the MLE since the Knicks own they Arenas rights.

So in theory the Knicks would have a full MLE to use On anyone if they wanted to after resigning Lin and Fields.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If we got Nash we'd have the top two PGs on the same team.

I'm hoping for B.Diddy to be healthy and return with us though. I also see Nash resigning with Phoenix unless he's traded this year which doesn't seem likely. Phoenix could be contenders next season since they have room for two max players and they have a pick in a deep draft this year. I would rather see Nash win a title in Phoenix, he wants to win there. Plus imagine how Phoenix vs. Knicks games would be at the Garden without Nash on their team?

Forrest17

Rotation player
I hope we use it on Lin instead of trying for Nash

I am as about a big of a fan of Steve Nash as you can be without being a Suns fan

But we would be STUPID.. Flat out THE DUMBEST ORGANIZATION EVER if we did that.

Nash is 38, Lin is 23. They are similar players, he is the heart of this team and he is making them the most talked about Sports team on the planet right now. We don't know how high Lin's ceiling is, where as Nash can only be going down and can't have more than 2 years of good play left.

Lin is everything you could possibly want in a starting NBA point guard

1) He is young
2) Is completely unselfish, pass first PG.. BUT has the ability to score tons of points when he has to
3) Strong, big 6'3'' 200 lbs body
4) incredible acceleration. He doesn't have nearly the top speed that the fastest NBA guards like Derrick Rose and John Wall have, but it doesn't matter because of how quickly he can go from zero to 60.
5) Average defender, unlike nash who is the Amar'e of point guards when it comes to that end of the floor... and he can come up with a lot of steals

Retaining Lin is this offseason's NUMBER 1 priority. Everything else must come second.

I don't see Dolan letting him go, I can't imagine it. Lin in one week has probably already brought him 10x the amount of money Carmelo has in an entire year

Forrest17

Rotation player
No joke, I've always felt the same since Lin started. How damn good Lin has played past couple is giving me second thought, though.

But Nash...with Lin getting his back up minutes? And being developed and tutored to his max potential while Nash is here for 2, 3 years absolute max.

We could also keep Nash maximally fresh for big games and the playoffs (like what Pop has been doing with Duncan this year), which would only give Lin even more quality minutes even while Nash is here.

Plus, a PG stable of two guards of that caliber minimizes the trauma of an injury apocalypse...which we know all too well would be a killer with this team.

Taking a back seat to Nash would only hurt Lin. He is playing as well as any PG in the league right now and better than Nash is at this point anyway.

His best quality is his courage and his confidence. He drives to the basket without fear.. Doesn't matter if there are two 7 footers standing in his way. He cleared out the team and asked for an iso and hit a 3 in toronto like a boss. He took a team of vets and stars and took them on his shoulders and lead them to go 8-1, played crazy minutes, yet didn't let the fatigue get to him. He has been Eli Manning like in 4th quarters of games, and got He has averaged like 28 and 10 in these 9 games...

He doesn't need to learn crap from Nash. I am sure D'Antoni can tell him everything Nash knows anyway.

Sure he turns it over, but OKC turns it over a lot more than any other team in the league and they are probably the best team in the NBA.. or they have the best record at least. Turn overs only matter if they cost you wins. He turned it over 9 times against the hornets, but there are 1000 reasons why we lost that game, not just turn overs, and I'd say jefferies and shumperts turn overs hurt more than any of lin's considering that they came in pivotal moments when we could have tied it or taken the lead.

Lin is new to all of different types of coverages because he was thrown into the lions pit with zero prep. I am sure he will get better at taking care of the ball over time, especially if we get a back up PG so he can rest. But no one should be taking over Lin's starting spot or tutoring him.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Taking a back seat to Nash would only hurt Lin. He is playing as well as any PG in the league right now and better than Nash is at this point anyway.

His best quality is his courage and his confidence. He drives to the basket without fear.. Doesn't matter if there are two 7 footers standing in his way. He cleared out the team and asked for an iso and hit a 3 in toronto like a boss. He took a team of vets and stars and took them on his shoulders and lead them to go 8-1, played crazy minutes, yet didn't let the fatigue get to him. He has been Eli Manning like in 4th quarters of games, and got He has averaged like 28 and 10 in these 9 games...

He doesn't need to learn crap from Nash. I am sure D'Antoni can tell him everything Nash knows anyway.

Sure he turns it over, but OKC turns it over a lot more than any other team in the league and they are probably the best team in the NBA.. or they have the best record at least. Turn overs only matter if they cost you wins. He turned it over 9 times against the hornets, but there are 1000 reasons why we lost that game, not just turn overs, and I'd say jefferies and shumperts turn overs hurt more than any of lin's considering that they came in pivotal moments when we could have tied it or taken the lead.

Lin is new to all of different types of coverages because he was thrown into the lions pit with zero prep. I am sure he will get better at taking care of the ball over time, especially if we get a back up PG so he can rest. But no one should be taking over Lin's starting spot or tutoring him.
+ 1

iSaYughh

Starter

Good post. Tough to disagree with how well Lin is playing right now, and you'd hate to see his development stunted with what he's doing; still wanna see how the rest of the yr goes, but barring a major issue, don't see why we would splash the cash on Nash (though I still feel Nash is superior to Lin; wouldn't make sense given their ages, and Lin trending up, and how good Lin already is).

Could be moot, since it looks like we'll need to use the MLE to keep Lin locked up. Big off-season stuff will prolly concern seeing if we can finagle keeping JR Smith, and the rest of the gang.