Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iman Shumpert WILL be in the 2012 Sprite Slam Dunk contest!

Default Iman Shumpert WILL be in the 2012 Sprite Slam Dunk contest!

CREDIT: Marc Stein ESPN

He won't be dunking, exactly, but [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] sensation [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] has been invited to take part in the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest at All-Star Weekend in Orlando.
    Sources with knowledge of the league's plans told ESPN.com that Knicks rookie [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] -- one of four dunk-contest entrants alongside [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] forward [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] swingman [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] rookie [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] -- will be enlisting Lin to "assist" him in a manner similar to the help 2011 champion [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] got from then-[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] teammate [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Lin, a second-year point guard, has started six games and led the Knicks to seven straight wins. His strong performance the past two weeks has drawn international attention, including from President Barack Obama, and led to debate about whether he would be invited to participate in All-Star Weekend.
    The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that the NBA is expected to make Lin part of the field for the Haier Shooting Stars competition during All-Star Saturday night, which would enable him to join Shumpert's dunk routine as well. NBA commissioner David Stern told USA Today earlier this week that Lin will not be a special late addition to the annual Rising Stars game featuring rookies and second-year players All-Star Weekend.
    Griffin is not defending his dunk title, but sources said that the annual dunk contest has a new format which will consist of only one round and in which the winner will be solely determined by fan vote.
    All four competitors in the 2012 dunk field are first-timers and will be formally announced later Thursday, sources said. Each entrant will get three dunks, with fan voting to open after the foursome completes their first dunks.
    When Griffin won on his home court at Staples Center last season -- most notably leaping over the hood of a car and slamming home a lob from Davis as the former Clipper peered out of the sun roof -- dunkers had to complete two rounds, with the first scored by a panel of courtside judges which determined the two finalists.
    Only fan voting will be utilized in the new format, via Twitter for the first time, in addition to online and text voting.

Shump vs DWill in the finals

Not sure how I feel about the voting. On the plus side Kia can't buy the winner, but why let people vote with 67% of the competition left? I guess it could be worse, I don't see a name that's gonna get votes regardless of what they do.

Veteran

I'm not surprise, this dude has some serious hops.

imo, maybe it's just me...but the dunk contest isn't what it used to be.

The creativity has been lacking. I'm still shaking my head at Griffins lame dunk over the hood of a small car (he should have done the cannonball one in his commercial).

If they want to turn allstar break in to advertisement weekend...i'll pass until they get back to displaying unique skillz...something that will make me jump the **** out of my seat.

Damn this looks like it's gonna be the worst slam-dunk contest of all time. Just cancel it, no one cares.

Oh its going to suck but I like Iman there they snubbed him for the rookie sophmore game. He has been a consistent top 10 on the rookie ladder with a lot of time in the top 5 rookies. So there is nothing wrong with him getting some all star shine somehow.

Also you know they have to get Lin involved in All Star weekend.

Originally Posted by Wargames
    Oh its going to suck but I like Iman there they snubbed him for the rookie sophmore game. He has been a consistent top 10 on the rookie ladder with a lot of time in the top 5 rookies. So there is nothing wrong with him getting some all star shine somehow.

Also you know they have to get Lin involved in All Star weekend.
    Yea, but what does the NBA say to the car company that paid for John Wall to win in the vicinity of their car when he now has to go against lin?

Veteran

Congrats to Iman but that dunk contest gets weaker and weaker every year. WTF, Chase Budinger a contestant, there are dozens of guys that should be in dunk contest ahead of him. And that new format sucks, one round and the fans vote for the winner.

Kinda surprised since he missed most of his dunks this season lol.

For some reason I was confused reading this article at first and thought Marc Stein said Lin was invited to dunk in the contest.

Shump will win this contest easily, Derrick Williams is the closest competitor.

WTF with Chase Budinger?? LOL

Paul George has some nice in game dunks but i don't think he's a drunk contest kinda guy. I like Iman's chances. Nice to have more knicks involved at the ASW. With Lin passing to him Iman should win this easily on the fan voting.

I guess the new format is to shut up everyone saying it was fixed last year?

I dunno, but I was impressed with some of the new things guys are trying. Would be nice to have some big names come out for the dunk contest though instead of rookies and such. I wanna see an ultimate dunk show down with guys like Dwight and lebron and Amar'e throwin down.

Originally Posted by p0nder
    I wanna see an ultimate dunk show down with guys like Dwight and lebron and Amar'e throwin down.
    Funny thing is Carter can still dunk better than any of those three.

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Kinda surprised since he missed most of his dunks this season lol.

For some reason I was confused reading this article at first and thought Marc Stein said Lin was invited to dunk in the contest.
    THIS LOL +111

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Originally Posted by platnumn
    Shump will win this contest easily, Derrick Williams is the closest competitor.

WTF with Chase Budinger?? LOL
    I'll be rooting for our boy, but do not discount Chase Budinger. He's like a funky version of Jon Barry going to the rim. I think he has a real chance, and even more with fan voting making the call.

One statistic that jumps up at this chosen group for the slam contest: Shump, George, DWill and Budinger have combined for 55 dunks this year... Tyson Chandler has 63 dunks and is 5th on the dunk-o-meter!!!

you know what pisses me off, Shumpert is IN the dunk contest yet all they're talking about is that Lin will be assisting him in the dunk contest, hopefully Lin silences all that so Shumpert can get some shine because he's having a helluva season