Are the 2012 Knicks a Modern Day version of the Suns?

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Here is the Roster from the 2004-2005 Suns Roster

C-Amare Stoudamire
Pf-Shawn Marion
Sf-Quentin Richardson
Sg-Joe Johnson
Pg-Steve Nash

Bench:
C-Steven Hunter
F-Walter McCarty
F-Jim Jackson
G-Leandro Barbosa
G-Smush Parker
C-Jake Voshkul
F-Bo Outlaw

Here is our PENDING roster if healthy

G-Lin/Davis
SG-Fields/Shump
SF-Melo/JR
PF-STAT/Novak/Jorts
C- Tyson/ Jefferies/Jorts

I only ask this question becasue it was brought up on the Mike Francesa show today. I was kind of interested when he mentioned it. I do believe he X-factor however is Tyson and the all around improved defense. A lot of people regarded that Suns team as one of the best teams of the past decade to not win a championship.

Also take a look at Barbosa on that team; can Shump or JR be that premier scorer off the bench?

Our depth is without a doubt 10 times better than that team.

Lin= Nash
Fields= Joe Johnson before he was Joe Johnson
Melo= Shawn Marion when he was in the talks for MVP
Stat=STAT
Tyson= The missing key to why he didn't win in Phoniex

Bench

Davis= way better than any backup or starter before lin even at half strength
Shump= Will play well with Davis and no more point guard duties for him
JR= Will be explosive off the bench and can drop 20 at any given night
Novak= will be amazing espicially with shump, JR, Davis driving to the basket
Jefferies= Defense, Hustle, Muscle, Charges

I'm not saying that this team is any way shape or form like that team, just relaying a message that was expressed on WFAN radio show. Callers phoned in to say how they can see comparisons.

Last edited:

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
No, and I wouldn't want them to be, considering they never won a title.

This team is more defensive minded. And not ONLY because of Chandler, because of Shump and Jeffries as well.

Comparing Lin to Nash after 2 weeks is ridiculous. I know he's the biggest reason the Knicks have emerged but no. Let's finish this season at the least before we see comparisons to a 2 time MVP (Although we can argue all we want if he deserved the 2nd one). Lin is a very high IQ player though, with a good feel for the game like Nash. He's also a better help defender.

Marion's offensive peak came in the D'Antoni years and he is a better rebounder than Melo. Look at hoe his offense sank after being traded to Miami. It's still good, yes, but not what it was. Marion's strength is his versatility and ability to defend multiple positions.

Fields is slightly more of a do it all player and a higher IQ player than Johnson while Johnson even in Phoenix was a better scorer.

And I really can't even recognize anyone of significance on that bench without Barbosa.

Barbosa is a career 46% Shooter and has had plenty of seasons shooting above that considering he wasn't even in his prime in 2005. JR Smith's best shooting year was 46%, he averages 42%, I don't want him. While JR can drop 20 on any given night, he can also shoot 10-20%, taking us out of the game single handedly as well. I'm not a big fan of those strikeout or home run players, considering we've had 2 players like that (Harrington and Crawford), and while circumstances were different now than it was then, they drove me crazy and I'm skeptical of bringing back a player like that.

Have we had an update on Baron Davis recently?

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
That system was succesful in 2004...It's 2012 now and it doesn't work..

In no way shape or form am I condoning us to be like that team, but you can't help and see the parrallels. Woodson was brought in to not run that exact system that Dantoni ran those years in Phoenix. We all know that kind of European basketball can't win in the league.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
No, and I wouldn't want them to be, considering they never won a title.

This team is more defensive minded. And not ONLY because of Chandler, because of Shump and Jeffries as well.

Comparing Lin to Nash after 2 weeks is ridiculous. I know he's the biggest reason the Knicks have emerged but no. Let's finish this season at the least before we see comparisons to a 2 time MVP (Although we can argue all we want if he deserved the 2nd one). Lin is a very high IQ player though, with a good feel for the game like Nash. He's also a better help defender.

Marion's offensive peak came in the D'Antoni years and he is a better rebounder than Melo. Look at hoe his offense sank after being traded to Miami. It's still good, yes, but not what it was. Marion's strength is his versatility and ability to defend multiple positions.

Fields is slightly more of a do it all player and a higher IQ player than Johnson while Johnson even in Phoenix was a better scorer.

And I really can't even recognize anyone of significance on that bench without Barbosa.

Barbosa is a career 46% Shooter and has had plenty of seasons shooting above that considering he wasn't even in his prime in 2005. JR Smith's best shooting year was 46%, he averages 42%, I don't want him. While JR can drop 20 on any given night, he can also shoot 10-20%, taking us out of the game single handedly as well. I'm not a big fan of those strikeout or home run players, considering we've had 2 players like that (Harrington and Crawford), and while circumstances were different now than it was then, they drove me crazy and I'm skeptical of bringing back a player like that.

Have we had an update on Baron Davis recently?

Alan Hahn said Baron Davis will be back after the all star break on twitter. I did see him shooting around before the game and he looked mobile.

Again I am not condoning this team to be like that team in any way but people have brought it up. I think the Knicks team we have now is way better than that team. Those Suns teams let up over a 100 points ever season, we're at about 94 points allowed a game.

C-Amare Stoudamire
Pf-Shawn Marion
Sf-Quentin Richardson
Sg-Joe Johnson
Pg-Steve Nash

Bench:
C-Steven Hunter
F-Walter McCarty
F-Jim Jackson
G-Leandro Barbosa
G-Smush Parker
C-Jake Voshkul
F-Bo Outlaw

G-Lin/Davis
SG-Fields/Shump
SF-Melo/JR
PF-STAT/Novak/Jorts

I only ask this question becasue it was brought up on the Mike Francesa show today. I was kind of interested when he mentioned it. I do believe he X-factor however is Tyson and the all around improved defense. A lot of people regarded that Suns team as one of the best teams of the past decade to not win a championship.

Also take a look at Barbosa on that team; can Shump or JR be that premier scorer off the bench?

Lin= Nash
Stat=STAT

Bench

i think you made 1 mistake,amare was the 4 and marion was the 5 lol

Paul1355

All Star

C-Amare Stoudamire
Pf-Shawn Marion
Sf-Quentin Richardson
Sg-Joe Johnson
Pg-Steve Nash

Bench:
C-Steven Hunter
F-Walter McCarty
F-Jim Jackson
G-Leandro Barbosa
G-Smush Parker
C-Jake Voshkul
F-Bo Outlaw

G-Lin/Davis
SG-Fields/Shump
SF-Melo/JR
PF-STAT/Novak/Jorts

Lin= Nash
Stat=STAT

Bench

Ok bro first off you can't compare some players to others.

Lin does=Nash
Stat obviously = Stat

But Shawn Marion=Melo?????? No not at all. Marion is a defensive player who use to have a three point shot, Melo is a dynamic kobe type scorer.

Fields will never be Joe Johnson, they are two different players. And Fields doesn't have an outside shot, Fields is a slasher, Johnson is a pure scorer.

With Jr Smith our bench can be better than the Suns bench was.

Ofcourse Boris Diaw with Barbosa was deadly but we have more height and versatility.

Daivs, Shump, Smith, Novak, and Harrelson/Jeffries is a better bench with more versatility and defense.

You only think we are the old Suns because Lin plays so much like Nash.

This is a different team, especially with Tyson at the 5.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Ok bro first off you can't compare some players to others.

Lin does=Nash
Stat obviously = Stat

But Shawn Marion=Melo?????? No not at all. Marion is a defensive player who use to have a three point shot, Melo is a dynamic kobe type scorer.

Fields will never be Joe Johnson, they are two different players. And Fields doesn't have an outside shot, Fields is a slasher, Johnson is a pure scorer.

With Jr Smith our bench can be better than the Suns bench was.

Ofcourse Boris Diaw with Barbosa was deadly but we have more height and versatility.

Daivs, Shump, Smith, Novak, and Harrelson/Jeffries is a better bench with more versatility and defense.

You only think we are the old Suns because Lin plays so much like Nash.

This is a different team, especially with Tyson at the 5.

haha bro I completely agree with everything you are saying. I just brought it up because Mike Fracesa talked about it for like an hour today. If you read my post I said we are a different team calling "tyson" the x-factor. I said our bench is 10 times better.

elcol

Rotation player
the suns and steve nash did not play defense and still to this day do not play defense.

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer

C-Amare Stoudamire
Pf-Shawn Marion
Sf-Quentin Richardson
Sg-Joe JohnsonMP3
Pg-Steve Nash

ol:
C-Steven Hunter
F-Walter McCarty
F-Jim Jackson
G-Leandro Barbosa
G-Smush Parker
C-Jake Voshkul
F-Bo Outlaw

G-Lin/Davis
SG-Fields/Shump
SF-Melo/JR
PF-STAT/Novak/Jorts

Lin= Nash
Stat=STAT

Bench

No because this team plays great defense ... The addition of coach Woodson and Chandler has turned the d around... Teams used to kill us on the glass ... Kill is... And shumpert is one of thebest defenders in the NBA... Defense is much more important in playoffs than regular season... I think we are a Wilson Chandler type player away tom legit contenders... Maybe Jr Smith is our guy

jzero29

Rotation player
I think besides amare, the players dont match. The suns old personel besides amare was way different.
Lin may be the closets match and he is not on Nash's level just yet. maybe if he ends the season staying steady.
who is our barbosa? q.rich? Matrix? Joe johnson?
and who was their Tyson Chandler?
Jefferies may have the body type of barbosa, but def not the offense.
shumpert? like Q-rich not really? who was their fields?
the offense has a chance to run as well as the offense of old phoenix with the new PG, have to say the suns edge us on that. but if J.lin plays close to Nash, it would be close. But overall they edge us at almost every position, including amare's. Carmelo is the only exception.

But we out defend them easy, as sad as that is to say, lol.
Chandler, fields, shump and jefferies actually are defensive husle guys!

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I think besides amare, the players dont match. The suns old personel besides amare was way different.
Lin may be the closets match and he is not on Nash's level just yet. maybe if he ends the season staying steady.
who is our barbosa? q.rich? Matrix? Joe johnson?
and who was their Tyson Chandler?
Jefferies may have the body type of barbosa, but def not the offense.
shumpert? like Q-rich not really? who was their fields?
the offense has a chance to run as well as the offense of old phoenix with the new PG, have to say the suns edge us on that. but if J.lin plays close to Nash, it would be close. But overall they edge us at almost every position, including amare's. Carmelo is the only exception.

But we out defend them easy, as sad as that is to say, lol.
Chandler, fields, shump and jefferies actually are defensive husle guys!

Agree I don't see it, this team does not remind me of Phoenix this team has the potential to be greater than those Phoenix teams with their defense and having a player like Melo

KingCharles34

All Star
Id say their more similar to the Suns team that had Kurt Thomas before the Matrix for Shaq trade. I think they had Raja Bell too. But Amare's not the player he was back then

Id say their more similar to the Suns team that had Kurt Thomas before the Matrix for Shaq trade. I think they had Raja Bell too. But Amare's not the player he was back then

thats exactly what i was afraid of hearing.amare not being the same player and when u hear people say that it means their past their primes and on the decline

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
thats exactly what i was afraid of hearing.amare not being the same player and when u hear people say that it means their past their primes and on the decline

He's not even the same player he was last year. Yeah its scary, but it makes you wonder why were we the only ones to offer him that kind of contract thats not insured. But hey, the great players adopt to what thier bodies give them, if you take a look at KJ, he changed his game over the years. He's not dunking like he used but he shoots a midrange and finishes with a finger roll. Let's hope amare can take a page out of KJ and Duncans offensive adjustments.

KingCharles34

All Star
^

Hate to say it but I doubt it, he was never as intelligent as either one of them. And both of them were always good defenders, Negative Stats still doesnt know how to defend. He makes stupid offensive decisions that often lead to him getting called for an offensive foul or his shot gets blocked. Not only Chandler has surpassed him, but Jeffries has too. Hes scoring a little more efficiently with Lin running the point, but his defense is 100X better then Amarknee's. I think that once Harrelson comesback, Atari will be collecting more and more dust as time goes on.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
^

Hate to say it but I doubt it, he was never as intelligent as either one of them. And both of them were always good defenders, Negative Stats still doesnt know how to defend. He makes stupid offensive decisions that often lead to him getting called for an offensive foul or his shot gets blocked. Not only Chandler has surpassed him, but Jeffries has too. Hes scoring a little more efficiently with Lin running the point, but his defense is 100X better then Amarknee's. I think that once Harrelson comesback, Atari will be collecting more and more dust as time goes on.

Your right I cant even defend Amare anymore. This guy is becoming more and more like Mcdyess. How history seems to repeat itself.