Are the 2012 Knicks a Modern Day version of the Suns?

KingCharles34

All Star
^ Its sad, he was once one of the funnest players to watch in the league. He had games before the knee injuries where he sh*tted on Duncan and KG in their primes. But he still has enough athleticism where he could be a much better player then hes been. For some reason its like his brains been shot since shortly before we got Melo. I remember him gettin worn out before the Melo trade, so I dont blame it on Carmelo.

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
^ Its sad, he was once one of the funnest players to watch in the league. He had games before the knee injuries where he sh*tted on Duncan and KG in their primes. But he still has enough athleticism where he could be a much better player then hes been. For some reason its like his brains been shot since shortly before we got Melo. I remember him gettin worn out before the Melo trade, so I dont blame it on Carmelo.

Stats fine he had his best or second best season last year... He's just a guy who needs someone ..to dish him theball.... And now we have that.. he's not a guy who will beat u off the dribble in an ISO at a high rate.... But he's a 6'11" guy who's capable of beating u off the dribble which is very rare... He's gonna have a great second half I promise....he's a very hard worker... It's no coincidence we get our first blowout his 2nd game back

He shitted on kg and everyone in the league last year when he had a pick n roll in the offense...

KingCharles34

All Star
^

Hes gonna have to prove himself, cant say im optimistic but im not rooting against him either. He'd be very helpful if he started making better offensive decisions..and stepped up his defense even a little

Thinking about it i remember last year after Melo came and he slowed down then in the playoffs he was dominant so for that sole reason i hold out hope that maybe he can get near what he was doing last year pre-Melo trade.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I don't believe so, no. Very different dynamic.

Tyson is the big disparity. Melo, too, as the focal scorer makes this a team far different to the Mike's Suns.

I can see why the comparison is used, but if you check out videos of those Suns teams, you'll see less running here in NY. You will also see, thankfully, more of an inclination to rely on defense. 8th in the league as we speak.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
Not even close.

That Suns team was by far the best offensive team in the NBA and one of the best offensive teams in NBA history. Our offense doesn't come close to that, even with Lin now running the show.

Also this team is much better on defense than that Suns team.

Overall you would really have to stretch to compare the two teams.

portega1968

El Cacique
That Suns team had no defense

I'm hoping future NBA teams will look to benchmark themselves against the 2012 Knicks... Top 3 in both defense and offense

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
People have talked about Amar'e not being as athletic because of his twenty pounds of muscle gained. Why couldn't he lose that muscle during the season? I don't see why he'd need an off-season for that. I'm not an expert, so help me out here.

iSaYughh

Starter
^

Hate to say it but I doubt it, he was never as intelligent as either one of them. And both of them were always good defenders, Negative Stats still doesnt know how to defend. He makes stupid offensive decisions that often lead to him getting called for an offensive foul or his shot gets blocked. Not only Chandler has surpassed him, but Jeffries has too. Hes scoring a little more efficiently with Lin running the point, but his defense is 100X better then Amarknee's. I think that once Harrelson comesback, Atari will be collecting more and more dust as time goes on.

Actually one legit reason he thrives in up-tempo, spacing-oriented offensive systems where he is on the move and he often gets the rock often on the move.

He doesn't have to think too much, if at all. His decisions have to be made quickly, too, and explosively, so he doesn't even really have "time" to think if he wanted to.

Amare's bread and butter was as simple as it was with Nash, as it was with Felton.

And it was pretty much just as unstoppable and efficient w/ Felton, as with Nash.

Amare would fummox, and underperform in many offenses otherwise. We've seen that first hand.

You could make a case that if Amare grew up under some other coach he would still have become one of the most dominant and efficient big men scorers in the game, and been good at D.....but based off the general intelligence and bball iq that he's shown, especially on D,

it's like teaching an autistic kid; they can be brilliant with one thing, which you need to coach out of them in just the right way for them to shine, but otherwise, you're deluding yourself if you reasonably expect similar brilliance to manifest any way else.

tiger0330

Legend
Not even close.

That Suns team was by far the best offensive team in the NBA and one of the best offensive teams in NBA history. Our offense doesn't come close to that, even with Lin now running the show.

Also this team is much better on defense than that Suns team.

Overall you would really have to stretch to compare the two teams.
I can't disagree, that Sun's team rarely scored less than 100PPG and routinely scored 120PPG, we seldom break 100. The Knicks are also a much better defensive team, those Suns just did not play defense preferring to outscore you to win games.

We have the potential though especially when we get Melo back in the lineup and JR joins the team. If Bibby comes out of that shooting slump and BD shows anything, we could have a team where the first and second units are offensive machines.

The good thing is, coach D'Antoni finnaly got players that work well in his system over the last couple of weeks.

Obviously Jeremy LIn, who's the perfect PG for his system, Steve Novak who's a great shooter, Fields and Shumpert who are both versatile and athletic guards/forwards who can do a bit of everything, J.R. Smith who's a scorer and shooter and we might even get Baron Davis.

For the first time since beeing our head coach he now really has a roster with players who fit into his system AND provide the neccessary quality to win.

If it wasn't for that dismal start and no training camp, the Knicks might be playing for first seed in the east right now with that roster, it's really perfect for D'Antoni.

If Lin can really keep it up and become the 'next Nash' or whatever and Melo finds his role we could be a very dangerous team, the team nobody wants to play against in the early rounds of the playoffs.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
There's one major difference. We got Tyson Chandler.

It's what those super Suns teams in the Nash-STAT era didn't have. A center who COULD run and play defense.

Don't bring up the Shaq bullsh*t. T-Chandler is the perfect defensive athletic center that thrives in D'ants system offensively, and is just an anchor defensively.

If Melo plays the right way, then we will be better than that Suns team.

Paul1355

All Star
haha bro I completely agree with everything you are saying. I just brought it up because Mike Fracesa talked about it for like an hour today. If you read my post I said we are a different team calling "tyson" the x-factor. I said our bench is 10 times better.

lol my bad then but Francesca is an idiot if he said that.

Tyson is the x factor and he HAS to stop getting in foul trouble and then getting a technical for getting in foul trouble, he is frustrating all of us and it hurts our team so much when he has these stupid fouls.