Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Lin: D'antoni Saved My Career

Veteran

Media Jeremy Lin: D'antoni Saved My Career

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Figure a thread about D'antoni that's based off NBA players, scouts, and professionals would be good for a change.

Agree, disagree, or simply soak it in. Meat and potatoes in quotes below, some at the end are especially interesting:

"What happened?"

In other words, how did this guy from a school that has produced twice as many United States presidents as NBA players, a guy who was jettisoned to the D-League last month, take the league by storm?

The answer was as honest as the question.

"It's a combination of the system, being able to fit into the system, being comfortable, being able to play through some mistakes, and then building confidence," Lin said
    Notice the only noun that appeared twice in Lin's statement was "system." This story might serve as the ultimate testament to how a coach and his system can make all the difference in a player's effectiveness. We talk all the time of the importance of chemistry in the NBA, but usually in regard to the personalities in the locker room. We underestimate how the alchemy of a coach's system and a player can elicit results we couldn't have imagined.
    "In any other system in the world he wouldn't flourish," said an NBA scout. "In a Mike D'Antoni system, he flourishes."
    "I think about 75 percent of the players in the league are dependent on circumstance, whether it's the coach, the system, teammates," said Steve Kerr, the sharpshooter turned TNT analyst. "For the majority of the league, there's a lot of luck involved and a lot of circumstance. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right spot
    In Lin's case, the Knicks' offense suits him because it spreads the players around the perimeter in a setup scout calls "an open donut." Defenders must stay outside the lane, within arm's reach of an offensive player, to avoid a defensive three-seconds violation, creating plenty of driving avenues once Lin comes off one of the innumerable screens set by Tyson Chandler.
    Lin calls D'Antoni "an absolute offensive genius."
    "The way that he creates a system and, every single game, during walkthrough he does something different, and he'll do it to adjust to that specific team's defense," Lin said. "He makes us look good"
    "Just to know when I missed a few shots, he told me to continue to shoot. When your coach has your back like that, as long as you're playing smart there's nothing you can do wrong. I definitely see that's what's going on [in New York], with D'Antoni having confidence in him and his teammates believing in him.", Lakers forward Matt Barnes
    San Antonio's Gregg Popovich would be the first to tell you that he wouldn't be the longest-tenured coach in the NBA if it weren't for Tim Duncan. But Popovich maximized his status to create a culture, one that wound up being perfect for Bruce Bowen.

its funny because jeremy lin's statement works both ways,both dantoni and him saved each others careers at the same time

Veteran

Originally Posted by BIG APPLE SPORTS
    its funny because jeremy lin's statement works both ways,both dantoni and him saved each others careers at the same time
    Definitely true.

"Just to know when I missed a few shots, he told me to continue to shoot.

I dont mean any harm, but MDA tells everyone to continue to shoot. Hence the problem...

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    "Just to know when I missed a few shots, he told me to continue to shoot.

I dont mean any harm, but MDA tells everyone to continue to shoot. Hence the problem...
    ... if you haven't got a point guard who deciding who should shoot or can light it up himself. Like MDA or hate him, I think it is save to say that his style of coaching works with a pointguard who can keep his dribble alive and doesn't work without a pg. Just like triangle offense does not work without a dominant shooting guard.

Superstar

Yeah, while I think Lin is very talented, and I don't think he is just a product of the system, but I don't think what he has done would have happened with any other coach in the league. He may be the best PG coach in the league. I know we all like to hate on him for numerous reasons, but if he knows one thing its how to develop a PG imo...

Though even he couldn't get douglas to do it.

Originally Posted by pat
    ... if you haven't got a point guard who deciding who should shoot or can light it up himself. Like MDA or hate him, I think it is save to say that his style of coaching works with a pointguard who can keep his dribble alive and doesn't work without a pg. Just like triangle offense does not work without a dominant shooting guard.
    The triangle needs a dominant wing, I don't think it necessarily has to be a shooting guard, but that's whatever.

I agree that MDA's "system" fits for a heady PG like Lin, the problem was trying to fit square pegs in a round hole with TD and Shump playing the "Nash role" in his system. Gregg Pops is able to adjust to his roster, Carlisle was able to adjust to his roster, Adleman has done a FANTASTIC job at that throughout his coaching career and is continuing that in Minny. I look at what Collins is doing with Jrue Holiday (a man who is a tried and true 2-guard playing the 1) and Iggy in Philly, and it's working. Melo and Iggy were averaging damn near the same assists per game, while Jrue is at 5. That's 9 assists between your 1 and 3....why was MDA pigeonholing TD and Shump into a system that doesn't work for them?

That's concerning when I see a coach not recognizing what he has, or even worsen, recognizes what he has....but doesn't give a ****, because it wouldn't work in his system.

All of that being said, if he can work on his roster usage and rotations (where the F*CK is Jerome Jordan?!?!?) and some in game strategies (timeout usage, switching on the PnR, when to go over the screen, when to go under, etc) we'll be fine.

Alternate headline:

Mike D'antoni: Jeremy Lin Saved My Career

I don't know about this. Lin is out there doing his own thing so I'm not sure how that's attributable to the "system". As far as I can see, its 80% pick and rolls and the rest is just moving the ball to an open shooter. Driving to the basket, which is what Lin is very good at, translates well in any system.

Whichever NBA scout said Lin wouldn't flourish in any other system should never reveal who he is. That comment is so stupid and sounds like someone who doesn't know the game.

I don't know what to make of that "absolute offensive genious" comment. I've played plenty of organized and regular street ball and depending who we were playing, we'd move players to the perimeter and take advantage of guys willing to cheat on defense when the pg attacked the lane. It is because of this why I have a problem with the "offensive genius" moniker. Thes things are done all the time by ballers in NYC. What's the difference??

iSayUghh loves Macaroni!

"In Lin's case, the Knicks' offense suits him because it spreads the players
    around the perimeter in a setup scout calls "an open donut.""

why does Eddy Curry spring to mind...?

KnicksonLIN.com

Jeremy Lin's a comedian.

Originally Posted by abcd
    Jeremy Lin's a comedian.
    Linbad

mike dantoni didnt just save his career in new york but his career as an nba head coach

Superstar

Originally Posted by Forrest17
    Yeah, while I think Lin is very talented, and I don't think he is just a product of the system, but I don't think what he has done would have happened with any other coach in the league. He may be the best PG coach in the league. I know we all like to hate on him for numerous reasons, but if he knows one thing its how to develop a PG imo...

Though even he couldn't get douglas to do it.
    Or with Nate, Duhon, and Marybury...well maybe not Marbury, but you get the point.I don't think antoni has ever developed any one, LIN has always been the same player, i think it works against him, that he didn't recognize LINS talents earlier.

in a way they saved each others career.

Most likey Lin would of still been overlooked by teams

and

Dantoni was on the verge of being fired.