JR SMITH Officially a KNICK!Balkman cut

rady

Administrator
Staff member
jrsmith.jpg

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Walker totally makes sense because Balkman and TD have deals beyond this season, and Bibby cant be cut until Baron Davis is playing. He wasnt gonna see many minutes once Melo is back. And now I understand why he was starting with Melo out (they were trying to showcase him to see if they can trade him for a pick)

plus you absolutely have to split up SF minutes between melo fields and novak. billy walker should never take minutes away from those guys.

maybe we could ship him back to denver for wilson? then i think we'd be really set (pending injuries).

portega1968

El Cacique
AT this moment, I can imagine the Knicks working the phones nostop to see if someone will give us a pick for Bill Walker and open up the roster spot for Smith.

If that doesnt happen, then he will hit the waivers before the day is done (just cant see the Knicks cutting Balkman with a year left on his deal).

iSaYughh

Starter
Yes!!!

We are one of the worst 3point shooting teams in the league, and that is essential to our offensive system. He definitely makes us a better team from downtown.

I can imagine our offense with Lin driving around a screen, having Novak and Smith ready to pop in the 3ball, and Tyson and Amare rolling to the hoop... that is just a nightmare to defend for ANY team in this league!!!

You can hate D'Antoni, you may be worried about Smith and his impact on team chemistry (like me)... but you have to be real and accept that this lineup will be thumping the MSG.

Yes! Addresses a clear weakness, and gives us more depth; the unheralded trickle down effect is letting Fields spell Melo more at the 3.

JR may act like a headcase, and be one (wasn't Spreewell? too many athletes get smacked by that label; some deserved, but some not, and they moreso need the right team and environment to thrive).

But if he is one, he will be benched and ostracized. You aren't going to have any juice on this team acting like a punk, when Amare, Melo, Chandler, Lin are already here.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Newsday's Ianazzone claims Knicks are trying to trade Balkmania for a pick. Not surprising looking at Renaldo's situation within the organization (no playing time + unwanted contract).

portega1968

El Cacique
Newsday's Ianazzone claims Knicks are trying to trade Balkmania for a pick. Not surprising looking at Renaldo's situation within the organization (no playing time + unwanted contract).

No one is gonna do that... if he was expiring, maybe, but with one year left I doubt anyone bites (maybe Kiyaman thinks otehrwise).

Walker for a pick will be easier to do.

p0nder

Starter
they tried to trade walker, TD, or balkman for a pick but douldn't get it done. they will cut balkman.

Welcome to the team JR. I think as a bench player JR is going to shine in NY. our bench was lacking in the scoring department. I think Fields still Starts and JR/Shump are great off the bench. Only issue is with getting Shump minutes, but honestly we saw what giving a rookie starter minutes did to landry last year, so i'm ok with shump being cut back a few minutes (15 would be good?).

Not concerned with giving Novak minutes at all, don't know what people see in him that need developing? He's already got a good 3 pt stroke, he's not going to ever be an adequate defender or slasher so why waste the minutes on him. He will be useful for those times when we need a 3 bad and thats about it.

Otherwise giving our backcourt more depth is great. This meas we are maybe able to cut Lin's minutes down some more, keeping him fresh for the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how Melo and JR fit into the team going forward. I think that it will be an amazing time to be a knicks fan, even more so then it already is.

Last year, the Knicks were back. This year they're STACKED.

tiger0330

Legend
Walker has had some good games for us and Balkman has done squat, on a performance basis you have to keep Walker. The Knicks don't need the money, if signing JR, cutting Balkman and keeping Billy doesn't trigger luxury tax then cut Balkman. Anyone know cap and tax implications if we keep Walker?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
You're quick bro, wanted to post the same stuff.

edit: I've just tweeted some nice words to Balkman, I know we've done the right thing, but I will miss "the Chemist".

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Good.. I would rather have Balkman out rather than Walker..
I have a feeling Walker's gonna come back and start to drain those 3's

CA7

Scoring Champ
You're quick bro, wanted to post the same stuff.

edit: I've just tweeted some nice words to Balkman, I know we've done the right thing, but I will miss "the Chemist".

so who's the new Chemist, Jorts, Shump, JR or Whoopie

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Not worried about JR being a headcase. We took a chance on Sprewell after he choked out his coach, and with the guidance of fine verterans like Ewing (Tyson, Jefffries, Amare) he came around to become a good team player.

Lin/davis
Fields/Shump
Melo/JR
Amare/ Novak/Jorts
Tyson/Jefferies/Jorts

unloopme

Benchwarmer
How in the hell did we not dump Bibby's corpse instead? At least Balkman brings energy, unlike the walking dead. SMH

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
How in the hell did we not dump Bibby's corpse instead? At least Balkman brings energy, unlike the walking dead. SMH

insurance. now we have melo, jr, shump, landry, walker and novak capable of playing the 3 if we need them to. probably even jeffries if mda wants to go big. if we dont have baron davis we have ONE pg. bibby has to be on the bench at least until baron plays and stays on the floor for a week or two. same with toney.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
insurance. now we have melo, jr, shump, landry, walker and novak capable of playing the 3 if we need them to. probably even jeffries if mda wants to go big. if we dont have baron davis we have ONE pg. bibby has to be on the bench at least until baron plays and stays on the floor for a week or two. same with toney.
OK, makes sense. But Bibby has been so :barf:lately it didn't seem right to me.