What Carmelo has to do to fit in, and become a top 10 player and a leader.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Carmelo Anthony: ?I know I?m not a selfish player. People around me know I?m not a selfish player,? Anthony said. ?I do everything I can to make people around me understand I?m not a selfish player.?

227985-free-throws-with-carmelo.jpg

Anthony called the idea that he?s a selfish player a ?slap in the face.?

There are some statistics to back the static that goes against Anthony.

Missed shots: (worst to best ranking) (top 10 NBA scorers only)
1. Kobe Bryant 227 missed shots (#1 in PPG)
2. Carmelo Anthony 190 missed shots (#4 in PPG)
3. Kevin Love 172 missed shots (#5 in PPG)
4. Monta Ellis 167 missed shots (#7 in PPG)
5. LaMarcus Aldridge 155 missed shots (#6 in PPG)
6. Russell Westbrook 154 missed shots (#10 in PPG)
7. Kevin Durant 152 missed shots (#3 in PPG)
8. Derrick Rose 119 missed shots (#9 in PPG)
9. LeBron James 116 missed shots (#2 in PPG)
10. Blake Griffin 108 missed shots (#8 in PPG)
http://blitzsportsnetwork.com/2012/01/carmelo-anthony-destroys-team-chemistry-he-is-a-big-reason-the-knicks-suck/

Both a rested Carmelo and the addition of Jeremy Lin, I believe, will bring those numbers up, however.

We all know that Melo will get better looks with Jeremy Lin playing on this team. That's a given. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread's about what Melo needs to do personally to improve his game at both ends of the floor. If he can do these things, or any others that you consider necessary that I have missed, we will be that much closer to a contender. We haven't been as close as we are now in a long time, and Anthony MUST be the catalyst.

carmelo-knicks.jpg

Carmelo Anthony Is Underachieving​

When speaking specifically about what Melo needs to do to make this team better, here are some things that I believe are fueling the opinion that he can't coexist with The Jeremy Lin Knicks Team.

Offensively: Melo has to want to be the player necessary to fit the remolded Knicks: play in sync, MOVE in sync especially - he's a massive underachiever off the ball, is very lazy and tends to wait for his turn to shoot or create.

He has said that he's insulted by talk of him not being able to coexist with Lin because he's selfish or has been touted as being selfish. I don't think he's been overly selfish [on the court that is] but he's never been a good passer off the dribble bar the P&R which gives the impression that he's selfish. He's either looking to pass or looking to shoot, he has to learn to create on the move to better his game and that of others. Whether or not that concerns him seems to be the issue, IMO. As I stated in the opening paragraph, this is not about whether he can, it's about whether he's willing. I think he is, or he will be, and the talk of him not blending in will be what defines his potential turnaround.

dal_120214_nycmelolin.jpg

Defensively: Defense is what has been the crux of Anthony not ever being a top 10 player. Period. He's been called top 5 and so on, but that's not the case. Not one bit.

You look at every top 10 player in the league, and Melo doesn't compare to any of them defensively.

He's shown flashes of excellent defense here in NY, but he tends to only reveal it when he deems it necessary: against the likes of LeBron James.

A consistent, dedicated and exemplifying captain's defense is the absolute least we should expect from Melo after the trade. There are no excuses. STAT, too.

He's a good rebounder, which has helped blanket his defensive shortcomings, but his man to man defense is suspect to say the least, and with a consistent effort Anthony will help the team get points off bad shots, turnovers and 24 second violations. The one thing that has really pissed me off this year with Carmelo, is that he has to defend regardless of whether or not he's upset about a non-call on the previous offensive possession. That has happened far too often, and is a deterrent and a distraction.

If this cat has the gaul to talk championships, he needs the ball sac to want to stop opponents by himself, and as a member of the team.

He's not getting any younger, and the time for him to refurbish his skill set and take both himself and this team to greater heights has to start now! This is Carmelo's time, and Carmelo's team.​

THE END.

fender0577

Rotation player
I just hope LIN keeps penetrating, to keep the defense honest, this in turn would get both, STAT and MELO wide open mid range jumpers.If he concedes to MELO in any way were in trouble.LIN, don't come down and start looking for MELO, anymore than you would anyone else, let him work to get open, this will keep everyone else moving as well.:gony:

Red

TYPE-A
Please stop with this "Melo needs to fit in with Lin" shit!

It's the most ridiculous shit I've heard... and sorry to say but it indicates that some don't know what they are talking about. This is ball not syncronized swimming. Things haven't chaged in this game in terms of the fundamentals. Lin must work on his, not the other way around.

First, if you want to worry that possibly this TEAM might not live up to their potential, that's fine.

But when dudes start worrying about "fitting in" that's where shit gets twisted.

Let's get this straight- basketball is a simple game. A fundamental game. WITHOUT LIN we as a TEAM were NOT playing fundamentally sound ball- EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, whether directly or indireclty we were not producing by doing things fundamentally incorrect.

I'M STILL WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO ANSWER WHY WE SHOT 40+ THREES?

Once you figure that out, then maybe you'll understand why there is absolutely NO issue with Melo fitting in.

Melo is our best player. No doubt, no argument. He knows how to play ball- he struggles playing poor fundamental three ball chuck style AS MOSTLY ANYONE WILL.

Let's get this straight also. Lin has not transformed us into omething where Melo has to find his place- he just plays the game the correct way nullifying D'Antoni's influence.

Logic should dictate that being that Lin has superseded the chuck style, the entire team, can now play to their real potential instead of forcing a west coast style. Thus Melo will be Melo, and it is Lin who must incorporate proper mechanics and decisions to highlight Melo- not the other way around!

Lin knowing his role... WILL adjust to favor Melo. Melo led us in assists. Melo singlehandedly, one on five style dropped forty on Boston in game 2. By himself. It was Melo who influenced coach to give Lin minutes, why? Because real recognizes real. And Lin knows what's up.

How dare anyone question this dude and his ability to ball and win. Melo is proven. Lin still has work to do. Get it straight.

Don't think Lin is smart enough to figure this out? Don't think Melo has EVER played wit a PG so he must learn how to? Preposterous!

Last edited:

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
Kenny Smith sums it up nicely, Lin has to learn to say no. Melo has been around long enough to realise that the knicks are winning because we are moving the ball. Word is Melo himself recommended Lin to start so i dont see any problem! Melo will get much better shots and the Knicks will improve drastically after a few games. (7 game win streak but no real test in my opinion just yet)

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player

It's the most ridiculous shit I've heard... and sorry to say but it indicates that some don't know what they are talking about. This is ball not syncronized swimming. Things haven't chaged in this game in terms of the fundamentals. Lin must work on his, not the other way around.

First, if you want to worry that possibly this TEAM might not live up to their potential, that's fine.

But when dudes start worrying about "fitting in" that's where shit gets twisted.

Let's get this straight- basketball is a simple game. A fundamental game. WITHOUT LIN we as a TEAM were NOT playing fundamentally sound ball- EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, whether directly or indireclty we were not producing by doing things fundamentally incorrect.

Once you figure that out, then maybe you'll understand why there is absolutely NO issue with Melo fitting in.

Melo is our best player. No doubt, no argument. He knows how to play ball- he struggles playing poor fundamental three ball chuck style AS MOSTLY ANYONE WILL.

Let's get this straight also. Lin has not transformed us into omething where Melo has to find his place- he just plays the game the correct way nullifying D'Antoni's influence.

Logic should dictate that being that Lin has superseded the chuck style, the entire team, can now play to their real potential instead of forcing a west coast style. Thus Melo will be Melo, and it is Lin who must incorporate proper mechanics and decisions to highlight Melo- not the other way around!

Lin knowing his role... WILL adjust to favor Melo. Melo led us in assists. Melo singlehandedly, one on five style dropped forty on Boston in game 2. By himself. It was Melo who influenced coach to give Lin minutes, why? Because real recognizes real. And Lin knows what's up.

How dare anyone question this dude and his ability to ball and win. Melo is proven. Lin still has work to do. Get it straight.

Don't think Lin is smart enough to figure this out? Don't think Melo has EVER played wit a PG so he must learn how to? Preposterous!

Yea I don't like all this criticism Melo's getting he was put into a role he's not supposed to play he's not a point forward. You put almost any player in a role their not comfortable with their gonna struggle. I bet if you asked Lebron to play strictly off ball be a catch and shoot player and just post up he'd play like shit.

Once Melo gets back to being the guy he is since he doesn't have to be a point forward everyone can hopefully shut up about Melo.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

facepalm2.gif

Well done. You're another skim-reading, 'here's my chance to rant' bag of wind.

We all know that Melo will get better looks with Jeremy Lin playing on this team. That's a given. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread's about what Melo needs to do personally to improve his game at both ends of the floor.

Now go back, have a read, have a think, and stop waiting for your turn to blah, blah, blah.

It's been said recently that one of the issues with posters on this site is that they don't read prior to reaction. When will it ever end? :shrug:

EDIT: I've just realized that you've actually come back to your post to edit it, but when doing so failed to reread - sorry actually read - the OP. Preposterous indeed.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Melo needs to Offensively play the paul pierce role and let the ball come to him at the right times. at one time in his career you can say pierce was seen as a selfish player. Rondo came along and controlled the offense while pierce picked his spots

I think this is what were seeing with Lin, instead of being this ISO, ball dominant guy, Carmelo's going to have to learn to move the ball around more and let Lin control this Offense

Carmelo knows what he has to do, he's a smart player.

Remember Dantoni wanted carmelo to play the point forward, he want melo to be the larry bird for the knicks, so it was a must the ball was always in his hands. Then ontop of that our guys were not making shots, and our other star was struggling. When your the only guy on your team making shots (carmelo) and the rest of the team is struggling, you resort to your last option score the ball and try to keep your team in it the best way you can.

Melo had way to much pressure being put on him, he was asked to do to many things facilitate the ball, score, rebound, make plays do this do that

Melo scores, then you question him on why he's not passing the ball

Melo passes, the leads slipping away then you question him on why he's not scoring he's the leader

The media was always a carmelo hater just waiting for him to fail in New York

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Melo needs to Offensively play the paul pierce role and let the ball come to him at the right times. at one time in his career you can say pierce was seen as a selfish player. Rondo came along and controlled the offense while pierce picked his spots

I think this is what were seeing with Lin, instead of being this ISO, ball dominant guy, Carmelo's going to have to learn to move the ball around more and let Lin control this Offense

Carmelo knows what he has to do, he's a smart player.

Remember Dantoni wanted carmelo to play the point forward, he want melo to be the larry bird for the knicks, so it was a must the ball was always in his hands. Then ontop of that our guys were not making shots, and our other star was struggling. When your the only guy on your team making shots (carmelo) and the rest of the team is struggling, you resort to your last option score the ball and try to keep your team in it the best way you can.

Melo had way to much pressure being put on him, he was asked to do to many things facilitate the ball, score, rebound, make plays do this do that

Melo scores, then you question him on why he's not passing the ball

Melo passes, the leads slipping away then you question him on why he's not scoring he's the leader

The media was always a carmelo hater just waiting for him to fail in New York

Now there's someone who's actually read the OP, thought about it and replied.

Good points, too!

I agree with a lot of them, but after watching every game Melo's played in, I believe/think that what I mentioned in the OP is accurate.

A question to you: Do you think Melo's poor shooting is relevant to his injuries.

Thanks again for reading, +1 rep to you for doing what you're supposed to do.

Kenny Smith sums it up nicely, Lin has to learn to say no. Melo has been around long enough to realise that the knicks are winning because we are moving the ball. Word is Melo himself recommended Lin to start so i dont see any problem! Melo will get much better shots and the Knicks will improve drastically after a few games. (7 game win streak but no real test in my opinion just yet)

exactly and i think lin has the confidence to do that.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Crazy⑧s;208121 said:
Now there's someone who's actually read the OP, thought about it and replied.

Good points, too!

I agree with a lot of them, but after watching every game Melo's played in, I believe/think that what I mentioned in the OP is accurate.

A question to you: Do you think Melo's poor shooting is relevant to his injuries.

Thanks again for reading, +1 rep to you for doing what you're supposed to do.
It could be injuries or it could be just trying to do to much altogether, maybe he was just in a slump who knows.

i heard chuck say Carmelo was the best scorer in the game, even above Durant. Due to having the advantage of being able to post up a area where Durant is not comfortable

Arguably Carmelo is the most clutch player in the game after Kobe, i feel its 50% injury and 50% just flat out tiredness

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;208118 said:
facepalm2.gif

Well done. You're another skim-reading, 'here's my chance to rant' bag of wind.

Now go back, have a read, have a think, and stop waiting for your turn to blah, blah, blah.

It's been said recently that one of the issues with posters on this site is that they don't read prior to reaction. When will it ever end? :shrug:

EDIT: I've just realized that you've actually come back to your post to edit it, but when doing so failed to reread - sorry actually read - the OP. Preposterous indeed.

No I didn't to be honest. But you aren't the only one with these illogical trepidations; and you're simply echoing the fearful sentiments of people expecting things to be perfect. Its about fear of the unknown and to me its ridiculous.

What seems unknown, rather it be you or anyone, is that Melo is a top 5 forward. Period. He's earned that and to say the least the benefit of the doubt.

He certainly hasn't earned the outlook of him being selfish or unable to adapt. Especially when Lin has played less than (<) 10 f*cking games.

Change the thread title to how Lin can adapt to compliment Melo.

What Melo "has to do to fit in" intimates an incorrect assesment of what the deal is. And I still love you.. bro hug?

I cant believe you guys dont see this. Quote me on this.

Melo is fixin to blow up the spot. Watch and learn younglings.

a) Melo has been dealing with minor injuries. He should be 100% now

b) Melo was asked to be a facilitator. Not his strength. Melo finishes and closes you out. He's one of the best at it.

c) Early in the year NO ONE was hitting their shots. I thought we had a team of Jared Jeffries out there. Melo felt he had to do to much.

d) Now that everyone knows their role and is firmly entrenched in their role this kid will dominant all comers.

Watch and learn...

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is not about what anyone has to do to fit in. This is about how the COACH will make it work. Have we forgotten that we have one of those??? Everyone is already expected to do what they do best.

A godsend of a PG and everyone forgets the responsibilities of the coach. I guess that's the tendency people have with Antoni once he has a PG (coach) to fall back on.

CA7

Scoring Champ
I just feel that guys are making too much out of Lin.

What Melo really needs to do is just run with him and move without the ball, he needs his iso's the same way STAT got about a dozen the past 2 games, the thing is the idiot fans will yell pass it the 1st time Melo iso's. I keep saying we just need to use him like Dallas uses Dirk to maximize his strengths, we also need to cut down Lin's minutes and usage rate, too many TO's BUT we have every piece we need to contend for title

Starters
Lin-Fields-Anthony-Stoudemire-Chandler

Bench
Shumpert-Smith-Novak-Jeffries

Reserves
Walker-Jordan-Douglas-Bibby-Harrellson

petescud

Starter
I too think that melo is watching what is happening on the floor and picking his spots as to what he's have done. I think its good he got to watch quite a few games from the sidelines with Lin running the offense. I think Melo will get much better looks and several dunks a game. Should be fun to watch. More then anything that Melo does, i'd like to see his defense be more consistent

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
This is not about what anyone has to do to fit in. This is about how the COACH will make it work. Have we forgotten that we have one of those??? Everyone is already expected to do what they do best.

A godsend of a PG and everyone forgets the responsibilities of the coach. I guess that's the tendency people have with Antoni once he has a PG (coach) to fall back on.

did the pg (coach) write this up or was it the ACTUAL COACH?

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/02/16/xs-and-os-the-lin-lob/

i cant wait to hear how someone tries to call this 'simple'

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
No I didn't to be honest. But you aren't the only one with these illogical trepidations; and you're simply echoing the fearful sentiments of people expecting things to be perfect. Its about fear of the unknown and to me its ridiculous.

What seems unknown, rather it be you or anyone, is that Melo is a top 5 forward. Period. He's earned that and to say the least the benefit of the doubt.

He certainly hasn't earned the outlook of him being selfish or unable to adapt. Especially when Lin has played less than (<) 10 f*cking games.

Change the thread title to how Lin can adapt to compliment Melo.

What Melo "has to do to fit in" intimates an incorrect assesment of what the deal is. And I still love you.. bro hug?

Bro hug accepted! :hug: :lol:

Fear of the unknown? I'm deliberating what I've seen from Melo, which has nothing to do with Lin. I don't get what you're not getting? Most of what I'm eluding to is focused on Melo as an individual and a leader.

I said outrightly that Melo will get his. No doubt Lin will benefit from the spacing Melo provides as a penetrating guard.

When I've said adapt, I've meant in terms of the winning style of play that's come with Lin throughout the entirety of the lineup. Melo's been a part of it for less than 40 minutes of PT. Admittedly, after reading my OP, I could have highlighted that better. But that still doesn't derive from the fact that you didn't read it in the first place.

I have complete faith that good times are ahead, but, as I've stated, it's Melo's approach that needs tweaking, IMO. Mentally, in terms of aggression and also defensive desire individually. I'm not trying to chisel out anything flawless. What would be the point of attempting the impossible? But I've seen the issues that I've highlighted, and am against them.

I don't really see why the mixup had to take place from the get-go? :shrug: If people don't really read OPs though, that's completely inevitable.

nyk_nyk

All Star
did the pg (coach) write this up or was it the ACTUAL COACH?

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/02/16/xs-and-os-the-lin-lob/

i cant wait to hear how someone tries to call this 'simple'

Are you seriously using the picture in this link to make a point??? LOL :teeth:

All someone did was draw some arrows where everyone moved to! Mind you, this was after we've all seen what happens, so you could do this with anything! Fields did what many smart players do and cut to the basket when his man wasn't paying attention. Lin being the good PG that he is sees this and throws a pass up towards the basket.

I'm not sure what you're point is. Was that play really that difficult to you? Field's read the defense and cut to the basket, got a good lob pass for the score.