ESPN calls Knick loss "Chink in the Armor"!!!

smokes

Huge Member
Seriously, I have been knowing the negative term "chink" for my entire life. And I was very angry when I heard the news.

But I was so surprised that ESPN reporters would do such a thing like that. Now I have a question and I hope someone who knows it better can answer me calmly and scientifically. (without getting me wrong)

What exactly does "chink" mean? I mean besides the crack or fissure meaning.

The dictionary says: It's used as a disparaging term for person of Chinese birth or descent. And that's what I have been knowing for this word.

But why is this term disparaging? Can anyone tell me how to properly interpret "chink" in another term or terms? Like does it mean Chinese Ghost? Or Sick Chinese? Or?

Thanks!

I don't think it has any particular meaning it's just a derogatory term. Like cracker for white people, *****r for black people, paki for Indian people, raghead for muslims, chink for chinese, japs for japanese.

The word itself is not particularly derogatory just the way it is used.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
I don't think it has any particular meaning it's just a derogatory term. Like cracker for white people, *****r for black people, paki for Indian people, raghead for muslims, chink for chinese, japs for japanese.

The word itself is not particularly derogatory just the way it is used.

Thanks for your quick response.
But I assume the worse/terrible/seriousness level of each word is different right?

Like I would assume from the worst to worse:

#1. n****r,
#2. paki, raghead, chink
#3. cracker, japs

??

smokes

Huge Member
Thanks for your quick response.
But I assume the worse/terrible/seriousness level of each word is different right?

Like I would assume from the worst to worse:

#1. n****r,
#2. paki, raghead, chink
#3. cracker, japs

??

I dunno, I don't think you'd get away with any of them at a national Media outlet :lol:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We should all marry someone of another race and have children. Then there would be no races. Only mixes of races.

My little half Japanese boy is gonna be born in just over 2 months.

Half Japanese, half white Ozi. Jazzy: ****ing cool.

He's already been noted by the quacks as a whopper. Big hands, thick neck, long arms and long legs. I'm pretty big myself at 6'2 + 3/4", his Mama's huge for a chink, I mean Jap, at 5'10". :lol:

Next Landry Fields was made in my balls.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Crazy⑧s;209623 said:

He's already been noted by the quacks as a whopper. Big hands, thick neck, long arms and long legs. I'm pretty big myself at 6'2 + 3/4", his Mama's huge for a chink, I mean Jap, at 5'10". :lol:

Maybe the next Kobe. Err... White Kobe. :beer:

clumsy

Rotation player
Ehh i think everyone is racist to some degree they just refuse to admit it. To the poster who said they want to know the race of the writer, i kinda agree (tho i think the possible use of the word has more has to do with socio-economic background). As an asian who grew up in a working class community and later moved to a upper income community i will say it makes all the difference. If it is was another minority or 1st/2nd generation immigrant white person (like Italian, polish, greek etc) i don't care that much cuz i bust balls with these cats a lot. For some reason if it was an old money white person i would want them fired ASAP.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
When I first seen the title I didn't even think of it as a racial slur I thought of it as just the common saying a chink in the armor to refer to a weakness someone has.

I'm sure the writer had the same mind set as me and didn't even link the racial slur with that common saying, I mean a chink really means a small crack.

Not to mention the writer of the article is marries to an Asian women and his kid are half asian half white, so I doubt he meant any malice it was just an unfortunate coincidence you really think he'd jeopardize his entire job and lively hood for something like this.

Eman

Benchwarmer
As mentioned before, how it got past the editor is a question ESPN can't seem to answer.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
Ehh i think everyone is racist to some degree they just refuse to admit it. To the poster who said they want to know the race of the writer, i kinda agree (tho i think the possible use of the word has more has to do with socio-economic background). As an asian who grew up in a working class community and later moved to a upper income community i will say it makes all the difference. If it is was another minority or 1st/2nd generation immigrant white person (like Italian, polish, greek etc) i don't care that much cuz i bust balls with these cats a lot. For some reason if it was an old money white person i would want them fired ASAP.
Dudes name is Anthony Frederico. Italian or Hispanic are good guesses...but I could be wrong, obviously.
ESPN anchor, Michael Kim tweeted in his defense implying there was "no malice there."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...tor-anthony-federico-claims-article-1.1025566

I think this may be his profile. Time to update that employment part.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/anthony-federico/a/217/195

Damn! I feel like, Sherlock HolmesBoy and shit with my google skills!

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
Crazy⑧s;209623 said:

Half asian half caucasian kids are so cute. My bro is half Chinese half white. Adorable!

quiggle

Starter
this was already posted but what kind of message does this send.

2012-01_linsanitypeak.jpg

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
The headline was pretty bad because headlines usually try to pun...Should the guy have been fired...ESPN did what they have to do, but it's unfortunate one mistake can end a career.

I'm not as certain that Bretos should be getting grief for what he said...He used it in completely reasonable sense, the phrase is very common for sports analysis, and it's not even the first time he has used it.

Just take a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ZPnwTIbp4

The bottom line is this that video above isn't offensive...So i think the headline was bad, but the guy not so much. Also, there is video out there of somebody using the exact same phrase to describe lin before the mistake...

Here's a conspiracy theory: ESPN making a big deal out of this buys them another angle to talk about LIN on their radio/TV shows now that he is getting old.