Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what happened to Amare's Explosiveness?

Originally Posted by KingofNy
    Dude he's been terrible this season. No explosiveness, no defense, doesn't set screens correctly, slow off of the roll, just terrible. If he's not hitting his 19 footer, he's useless. Whenever he comes in the games he hurts our team now. He is the ultimate liability on defense and today alone Dallas attacked him every second he was on the court. He'd go to the bench and then Dallas wouldn't score. Someone needs to have a serious talk with him and show him what he's doing wrong. He really is a $100 Goof AS$. Thank god Lin is holding this team above water, Lin's amazing!
    Over his last 10 games (5 with Lin) he's been putting up 20/8.5 with .485% shooting. His defense hasn't been great but there is effort there most of the time, he's just not very good. Overall he's putting up decent numbers and playing decent. People are just all over him because of the 100 million, the fact he's not hit that 25/10 standard he's set for himself every season, and the fact that people will jump on any weakness here.

There's so much to consider in the equation it's impossible. We've had so much change in this team in 1 year, with less than 6 months of basketball. Amare himself has gone through 5 PG changes, big roster moves, long bouts of injury and family tragedy.

I seriously wish people would get behind the guy instead of on top of him (cough) because we are highly unlikely to be able to trade him. May as well support him and pray that he gets out of the somewhat funk he's been in since Melo arrived as we need both these guys and the rest of the team playing 100% by the end of the year.

Originally Posted by smokes
    Over his last 10 games (5 with Lin) he's been putting up 20/8.5 with .485% shooting. His defense hasn't been great but there is effort there most of the time, he's just not very good. Overall he's putting up decent numbers and playing decent. People are just all over him because of the 100 million, the fact he's not hit that 25/10 standard he's set for himself every season, and the fact that people will jump on any weakness here.

There's so much to consider in the equation it's impossible. We've had so much change in this team in 1 year, with less than 6 months of basketball. Amare himself has gone through 5 PG changes, big roster moves, long bouts of injury and family tragedy.

I seriously wish people would get behind the guy instead of on top of him (cough) because we are highly unlikely to be able to trade him. May as well support him and pray that he gets out of the somewhat funk he's been in since Melo arrived as we need both these guys and the rest of the team playing 100% by the end of the year.
    He still tries to do a lot of things he can't do. That hurts the team

I feel Amar'e's best strength last season actually was his shooting outside the paint. I want him to attack the rim only when he can finish, not him trying to crossover people.

Superstar

I don't expect him to put up the same numbers he did last season or anything by far

But I expect him to perform on offense when given the chance.. He has been getting REJECTED by scrub defenders half his size in the last few games

Its like that part in space jam where Barkley gets his powers stolen and he gets blocked by that highschool girl. That is what Amar'e is playing like right now. Anything remotely contested he can't finish, which wasn't the case AT ALL last year.. I just don't get it.

Originally Posted by Forrest17
    I don't expect him to put up the same numbers he did last season or anything by far

But I expect him to perform on offense when given the chance.. He has been getting REJECTED by scrub defenders half his size in the last few games

Its like that part in space jam where Barkley gets his powers stolen and he gets blocked by that highschool girl. That is what Amar'e is playing like right now. Anything remotely contested he can't finish, which wasn't the case AT ALL last year.. I just don't get it.
    I completely concur. I don't get it either.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Forrest17

What an awesome analogy.

Veteran

Yeah really he's not throwing down on people and it bugs the hell out of me.

Amar'e last year would have dunked at least six times in today's game because he had Dirk guarding him...

He's not running the pick and roll GREAT with Lin yet, but that will get better in time. I'm really most worried about his jump shot - defenders have figured out that his jump shot this year is gone and thus can play a bit off him to stop him from getting to the basket. Hopefully he figures it all out soon.

Veteran

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Yeah really he's not throwing down on people and it bugs the hell out of me.

Amar'e last year would have dunked at least six times in today's game because he had Dirk guarding him...

He's not running the pick and roll GREAT with Lin yet, but that will get better in time. I'm really most worried about his jump shot - defenders have figured out that his jump shot this year is gone and thus can play a bit off him to stop him from getting to the basket. Hopefully he figures it all out soon.
    Agreed.

Damn, a good but scary point about his jumper. Compounded by his lack of all-around game with the P&R and explosiveness.

His jumper was on point last year. Straight up, he is just bricking perfectly good looks right now. Real gimmies, even.

Thankfully, when Melo comes back that issue shouldn't be an issue. Melo's sweet spot is that mid-range game, and zone where Amare was on point last year with, but now laying enough bricks to build a mansion with.

So, I think we can zero in on his general explosiveness and ability to run a dominant P&R.

*P&R I'm not concerned with, barring Amare totally melting down emotionally and mentally. He had mad issues last yr with Felton, too, looked like they couldn't do it; we know how that turned out.

*Issue of explosiveness I just don't get; is it partly his general discomfort with the P&R right now? Or is it really that size he gained? If it's the size, and if his explosiveness is what never allows him to take part as a dominating P&R player and inside finisher....WOW! Whoever let him, or greenlighted gaining that much size should be banned from Gotham. I remember hearing pre-season how it was supposed to just make him stronger inside, and not effect his explosion at all...I mean, how could those metircs be overlooked *as* he was gaining that size?

somebody compile a few videos of how he played for us last year.

I want to believe again.

Lurker

Originally Posted by dragon434
    somebody compile a few videos of how he played for us last year.

I want to believe again.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    What happened to that?

look at the hops he had on that dunk against the pistons.. come on stat.. whats wrong

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Jeffries and Chandler should be starting honestly. Only difference between Jeffries and Amar'e is how much they're getting paid. Jeffries rarely tries to do more than he usually can, and when he does I have respect for his effort.
    Exactly +10000000! Stat tries too hard to score on offense and then doesn't even bother playing defense. I kept making excuses for him earlier in the year, but NO MORE! Dude doesn't move his feet on defense and plays D with his hands when he even bothers defending.

Watch Sportscenter, every Dallas highlight was over Stat. He WON'T take a charge, EVER! I've counted 2 charges today and 4 Friday that he could've taken but he just moves out of the way like a biaaatch. Stat needs to shape up or ship out. Right now Jeffries is 10x the player Stat is. #sadbuttrue

Originally Posted by smokes

You give this guy too much credit. Dude has mad problems now man, wake up.

When Amare played well here was when he was playing Center and blowing by other SLOW centers. Now that he's playing against PF's and SF's that are just as fast as him it kills his game because he can't blow by them. His only points now come from open shots and open dunks. He caught the ball 3 times in the paint today only to turn the ball over or miss the easy shot.

Stat's all-star game used to be all about his speed and first step. Now for some reason that's gone and he just FORCES everything. Then when his shot's not falling, he STOPS trying. It's obvious dude. Watch him move out of the way on the few Dallas fast breaks today. You have to see this dude?

Stat's playing like a bum right now and I'd rather start Jeffries over him and make him earn his time. He needs the motivation because it's clear that he thinks his playing time is owed to him which it isn't. Sorry for the rant, but we're not going to hit all those 3's every night and we need him to improve if we want to win a title.

Veteran

The main reason Amar'e was so deadly last year was because anytime a defender played off him to try to stop him from throwing it down on someone, he'd hit a jump shot. STAT was automatic from 15-18 ft last year, and part of being a good PF in this league is having a serviceable jump shot ESPECIALLY if you don't have much of a post game like STAT.

There are too many good players in the NBA for a player to be able to dominate on strength and speed alone. Teams have figured out that STAT's jump shot is gone and they're exposing it - notice how he can't get to the basket. Last year, if the Mavs pulled what they tried to do earlier today, STAT would've buried six jumpers in a row, and when they played him close, he'd beat them off the dribble and dunk on their asses.

I'm waiting for that STAT to show up.

I agree with Smokes it's not gonna help to keep bashing him, he's been playing below his normal standards for sure and there's def times I'm watching the game and STAT makes me cringe because of D. Idk if it's mental or that added weight but he doesn't seem explosive and he doesn't seem to have that same intensity.

I would like to see the other players like Melo, Lin, and Chandler talk to STAT and let him know they need him to really step it up on both sides.

Originally Posted by KingofNy
    You give this guy too much credit. Dude has mad problems now man, wake up.

When Amare played well here was when he was playing Center and blowing by other SLOW centers. Now that he's playing against PF's and SF's that are just as fast as him it kills his game because he can't blow by them. His only points now come from open shots and open dunks. He caught the ball 3 times in the paint today only to turn the ball over or miss the easy shot.

Stat's all-star game used to be all about his speed and first step. Now for some reason that's gone and he just FORCES everything. Then when his shot's not falling, he STOPS trying. It's obvious dude. Watch him move out of the way on the few Dallas fast breaks today. You have to see this dude?

Stat's playing like a bum right now and I'd rather start Jeffries over him and make him earn his time. He needs the motivation because it's clear that he thinks his playing time is owed to him which it isn't. Sorry for the rant, but we're not going to hit all those 3's every night and we need him to improve if we want to win a title.
    Totally... Practically being a 20/10 player at this moment and he has problems NOW...

He's had his ups and downs this season, right now he's playing alright. Tonight wasn't great but in his last 10 the stats show he's doing fine.

The hate for STAT is becoming like the MDA hate at this point, seriously boring, uninspired, just jumping on the bandwagon of beating on a guy because he's had a bad start to the season.

He's had to deal with injuries, death in the family, a PG stable of TD, Bibby and Shumpert, trying to gel with Melo, changing position, a shortened offseason... Blablablablabla....

It's not excuses, it's legitimate reasons why he has not played up to scratch thus far. Why do people pick on his poor defensive skills every night? He is not, nor was ever a good defender. Not when we signed him, not last season, not before. So what are you expecting? That he's magically going to turn into Hakeem the Dream? If you wanna say he never makes effort on D that's just straight up crap. Yeah he takes a play off once in a while but he does make the effort most of the time.

I know this is New York and fans have a reputation of being ridiculously harsh critics to live up to but c'mon now, this is getting silly.