Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what happened to Amare's Explosiveness?

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    I agree with Smokes it's not gonna help to keep bashing him, he's been playing below his normal standards for sure and there's def times I'm watching the game and STAT makes me cringe because of D. Idk if it's mental or that added weight but he doesn't seem explosive and he doesn't seem to have that same intensity.

I would like to see the other players like Melo, Lin, and Chandler talk to STAT and let him know they need him to really step it up on both sides.
    You just said all the same stuff we were saying. How is it we're bashing him yet your post isn't? We basically said the same stuff you said and I totally agree that his teammates need to work with him to help him improve these problems.

Originally Posted by smokes
    Totally... Practically being a 20/10 player at this moment and he has problems NOW...

He's had his ups and downs this season, right now he's playing alright. Tonight wasn't great but in his last 10 the stats show he's doing fine.

The hate for STAT is becoming like the MDA hate at this point, seriously boring, uninspired, just jumping on the bandwagon of beating on a guy because he's had a bad start to the season.

He's had to deal with injuries, death in the family, a PG stable of TD, Bibby and Shumpert, trying to gel with Melo, changing position, a shortened offseason... Blablablablabla....

It's not excuses, it's legitimate reasons why he has not played up to scratch thus far. Why do people pick on his poor defensive skills every night? He is not, nor was ever a good defender. Not when we signed him, not last season, not before. So what are you expecting? That he's magically going to turn into Hakeem the Dream? If you wanna say he never makes effort on D that's just straight up crap. Yeah he takes a play off once in a while but he does make the effort most of the time.

I know this is New York and fans have a reputation of being ridiculously harsh critics to live up to but c'mon now, this is getting silly.
    I really don't think I'm being harsh on him. His defense has been HORRID since returning from the death of his brother. I'm not expecting him to be a lock down defender... Just for him to PLAY D, fill the lanes and ATTEMPT to block shots in the key. Watch that video posted a page ago with Stat's highlights and tell me that there's not a NIGHT and DAY difference in that department. Go back and watch the Dallas game and you'll see what I'm talking about. Stat consistently gets out of the way of guys driving to the basket and only uses his speed on offense.

We're paying him $100M, it's every fans RIGHT to expect him to ATTEMPT to play defense like he USED to do. He's really hurt us more than helped us. You stick ANY NBA starting PF in that role with Lin dishing him the ball and he'll get close to the same numbers that Stat's putting up and probably much LESS turnovers and maybe even a little D.

Dallas attacked Stat ALL GAME long tonight, scoring easy bucket after easy bucket. We take Stat out and put JJ in and what happens? Those easy buckets stop. Also, many of Lin's turnovers are at the hands of Stat... Literally. He fumbles so many easy passes and rebounds it's sickening. He barely sets the screen on pick & rolls. He hasn't been diving for lose balls and it looks like he's not even trying out there.

Bottom line is we play better without him in the lineup because our defense is better and most nights under Lin we REALLY DON'T NEED his scoring anways.

Maybe he'll improve but right now I'm pretty upset with his play or lack there of. Don't take it as I hate him, I just hate how he's playing right now. Maybe if he had to earn his playing time, he'll try to improve his game.
    Last edited by KingofNy; Feb 20, 2012 at 01:08.

Originally Posted by KingofNy
    I really don't think I'm being harsh on him. His defense has been HORRID since returning from the death of his brother. I'm not expecting him to be a lock down defender... Just for him to PLAY D, fill the lanes and ATTEMPT to block shots in the key. Watch that video posted a page ago with Stat's highlights and tell me that there's not a NIGHT and DAY difference in that department. Go back and watch the Dallas game and you'll see what I'm talking about. Stat consistently gets out of the way of guys driving to the basket and only uses his speed on offense.

We're paying him $100M, it's every fans RIGHT to expect him to ATTEMPT to play defense like he USED to do. He's really hurt us more than helped us. You stick ANY NBA starting PF in that role with Lin dishing him the ball and he'll get close to the same numbers that Stat's putting up and probably much LESS turnovers and maybe even a little D.

Dallas attacked Stat ALL GAME long tonight, scoring easy bucket after easy bucket. We take Stat out and put JJ in and what happens? Those easy buckets stop. Also, many of Lin's turnovers are at the hands of Stat... Literally. He fumbles so many easy passes and rebounds it's sickening. He barely sets the screen on pick & rolls. He hasn't been diving for lose balls and it looks like he's not even trying out there.

Bottom line is we play better without him in the lineup because our defense is better and most nights under Lin we REALLY DON'T NEED his scoring anways.

Maybe he'll improve but right now I'm pretty upset with his play or lack there of. Don't take it as I hate him, I just hate how he's playing right now. Maybe if he had to earn his playing time, he'll try to improve his game.
    The post wasn't directed at you personally but all the Amare hate on the forum.

The problem is, some people, respected posters, post exaggerations of Amare, other people pick up and start to run with them.

I've bolded parts of your post which are obvious exaggerations.

I've seen people talking about how Amare makes 0 effort on D which is totally untrue. No he does not exert the same effort as Jared Jeffries but he does try on probably 75%+ of possessions. Is that enough? No, but to say he takes every play off is purely false.

I've also read how he cannot hit a shot, especially jumpshots. I don't know what games these people are watching. Apart from tonight Amare's jumper has been on these last few games.

While I agree STAT needs to improve, on the offensive end he can still be a top 5 PF in this league and for people to want to trade him for Kris Humphries and Anthony Morrow is mind-boggling.

Stat is supposed to be an All-Star forward and if he was playing like one the Knicks could be real contenders.

Lin = Top 5
    Melo = Top 5
    Tyson = Top 5
    Jr Smith/Fields = Not top 5 but Very good
    Stat = Should be Top 5

If Stat can get back to Top 5 and we can get the chemistry flowing we have a REAL team. A team that is so deadly you really have to seriously guard anyone that touches the ball anywhere on the court.

LOL, if 4 of our guys are TOP 5 where are LeBron, Wade, Paul, Kobe, Durant etc?

Veteran

The post wasn't directed at you personally but all the Amare hate on the forum.

The problem is, some people, respected posters, post exaggerations of Amare, other people pick up and start to run with them.

I've bolded parts of your post which are obvious exaggerations.

I've seen people talking about how Amare makes 0 effort on D which is totally untrue. No he does not exert the same effort as Jared Jeffries but he does try on probably 75%+ of possessions. Is that enough? No, but to say he takes every play off is purely false.

I've also read how he cannot hit a shot, especially jumpshots. I don't know what games these people are watching. Apart from tonight Amare's jumper has been on these last few games.

While I agree STAT needs to improve, on the offensive end he can still be a top 5 PF in this league and for people to want to trade him for Kris Humphries and Anthony Morrow is mind-boggling.
    Yeah, uh, how's it feel now? Amar'e's jumper was ASS tonight, and probably the main reason the Knicks lost. He had great, open looks.

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    LOL, if 4 of our guys are TOP 5 where are LeBron, Wade, Paul, Kobe, Durant etc?

im guessing he means by position...

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Yeah, uh, how's it feel now? Amar'e's jumper was ASS tonight, and probably the main reason the Knicks lost. He had great, open looks.
    You won't get an argument from me. It sucked tonight and it sucked last night. Most of his other games recently it's been on.

Amare's jumper was the reason we lost?

Superstar

LOL i'll say it once and i'll say it again.

Barbosa (expiring) + Amir Johnson for Amare.

Toronto finally gets 2 P&R bigmen. They already have a good P&R point guard in Calderon. They will just need defensive role players to fill out their team.

We get another toughnose, defensive big man with more offensive skill than Jared Jeffries. He can work in the P&R decently. We now have cap room to resign cats next year.

Amare not playing inside the paint means he doesn't bring any value to our team...i'd rather have Novak shooting midrangers than Amare.

Novak and Amir can take Amare's time.

Originally Posted by KingofNy
    You just said all the same stuff we were saying. How is it we're bashing him yet your post isn't? We basically said the same stuff you said and I totally agree that his teammates need to work with him to help him improve these problems.
    No not everybody is saying the same things I'm saying like half the ppl on this site are saying he's done, he sucks, he needs to get out of NY.

There's a difference between criticizing a player which some ppl are doing me included and bashing a player which is what other ppl are doing.

Veteran

You won't get an argument from me. It sucked tonight and it sucked last night. Most of his other games recently it's been on.

Amare's jumper was the reason we lost?
    Well, the officiating and Deron being crazy is probably the main reason, but we can't deny that if Amar'e had made those jumpers in the 4th quarter that he took (IIRC he took two jumpers early in the shot clock during the last 5 minutes) the game would've been tremendously different. Not enough for us to win, but man, it's obvious that a dimension of his game is missing and he's become incredibly easy to guard because of it.

Amar'e did have one good play though. When Melo passed it to him and he posterized a Net (I don't remember who it was), I was like, THAT'S the Amar'e I need to see. He annihilated that guy. But without the ability to make a jump shot he's just a big man who dunks once in a while, and nothing special.

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Well, the officiating and Deron being crazy is probably the main reason, but we can't deny that if Amar'e had made those jumpers in the 4th quarter that he took (IIRC he took two jumpers early in the shot clock during the last 5 minutes) the game would've been tremendously different. Not enough for us to win, but man, it's obvious that a dimension of his game is missing and he's become incredibly easy to guard because of it.

Amar'e did have one good play though. When Melo passed it to him and he posterized a Net (I don't remember who it was), I was like, THAT'S the Amar'e I need to see. He annihilated that guy. But without the ability to make a jump shot he's just a big man who dunks once in a while, and nothing special.
    He had quite a few good plays on the game. Blocking the shot and running coast2coast for the score, that offensive tip finessed over to Fields for the easy score, the play you talked about. A couple of nice plays in the 4th. He hit a few jumpers over the course of the game too.

So many things went wrong with tonights game pinning it on STAT is silly but he did not play well no question.

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

It's all about defense when you look at what has happened these past ten games (and of course, finally having a point guard)... last night not having Shump made a big difference

But no doubt we are not seeing the same Stat from previous years. Not sure if his back has to do with it, if he's looking to stay out of foul trouble, if his knees are starting to show up, if its the extra weight... whatever it is, I'm not on board for us getting rid of him. Im rooting for him to turn it around and contribute effectively. Thats what every true Knick fan should be doing instead of crying for a trade that isnt gonna happen!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

i dont mind amare shooting from the elbow, he's normally a very good mid range shooter. the problem is that he isnt right now. what i do have a problem with is elbow jumpers with 15+ seconds on the clock. its a waste of his superior athleticism. under 10 seconds, we may not get a better look or we could turn it over trying to force one. it pisses me off that hes settling for the jumper without even looking at the paint. if he buys into team ball he'll take a dribble or two and dump it off once he sees the second defender coming. there has to be some middle ground between elbow jumpers and soft ass layups with 3 defenders within arms reach.

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

This Year.

Last Year.

We need to start a movement to get STAT to wear his old goggles and lose the gazelles!!!
    Last edited by unloopme; Feb 21, 2012 at 13:38.