Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Official Support Amar'e Stoudemire Thread

$40M dollars of not much tonight.

I know I've defended Melo but let me be the first to say if Melo keeps playing this way he deserves one of these threads too. Its painful watching both of them on defense but I believe Melo will contribute more on offense once he plays a few more games

Don't get me wrong, it's a damn shame I even have to create this thread due to STAT's poor overall play.

I'm just not willing to give up on our players, not Melo either. Not Fields who gets so much **** even after proving people wrong repeatedly.

There's sooooo many "excuses" as to why STAT, Melo and the Knicks in general have had a crappy season. But we've seen the flipside of it, the winstreak was great and we can accomplish that on an even higher level with our best players playing at their best.

STAT and Melo are career all-stars, that's not going to just go away.

Veteran

That jump shot of STAT's was whack tonight. Last year, he sinks 3/4ths of the open jumpers he took tonight. What the hell happened to his shot? The main reason he's considered a good player is because he has a consistent mid-range jumper to go along with the whole "strongest player in the league" deal.

STAT needs to wake up and start playing like the 20-million dollar superstar. I knew he doesn't play defense from day one but I was counting on stellar offense from him to offset all his deficiencies. WTH happened during last off-season? I hardly recognize this year's STAT.

not sure why some of you demand his performance must match his salary, its guaranteed money anyway regardless. now if you were in his situation with creaky knees would you be dumb enough to blow them out and jepodize your health for life, do you think he cares what Knicks fans think for the next two three years? in the end he will be remember as Suns because best playing days, ROY, for now he's really in Hawaii collecting paycheck. i bet inside hes laughing how he took new york by the hairs of chinny chin chin all the way home

Superstar

I will give the man his propers when he stops playing like Christina Bosh. Mid-range Amare is not a MAX player (like Mid range Bosh). I hope his loss of explosion is just temporary.

As expected I will put some of Amare's struggles on the shoulder of MOA. It's basically two-fold.

#1 STATue often looks disinterested offensively out there and when that happens it makes him look even more useless since he can't lock down on defense to make up for it. He doesn't demand the ball, which leads me to believe he never fells like he can realistically dominate his defender (obviously a byproduct of dependency on a pg). No post game either to help get him going. Just an overall decline.

#2 Antoni HAS to see what we all see and must make it his priority to get Amare the touches he needs in the right spots. The problem with MOA is that once he gets a good PG, he TOTALLY relies on said PG to make all the decisions. IMO, Antoni is more of a manager of shooters. He doesn't see the game based on a players skill level. What I mean by that is, he know everything about your ability to shoot the ball but doesn't seem like he holds other aspects of the game with the same respect.

I know STAT is under achieving BUT I don't see Antoni doing anything to get him going. Every game looks the same to me with STAT trying to set a pick through anyone who has the ball. STAT should also be getting the ball in the post (i know he won't post up) where he can face his defender and make a quicker move to the basket. This is better for him because when he's 10+ ft away he just looks awful trying to create.

The PnR is also baffling me. STAT has no idea how to position himself for the pass on the roll. I pay attention to these things every game. When he sets a pick, he immediately thinks he should get the ball so he raises his arms and lightly moves to the basket. This isn't gonna cut it. You can't just set a pick and start waving your arms. A PnR has to give the appearance as though the pg (or whomever) has escaped their defender and is trying to take advantage of the new defender who had to pick him up on the switch. At this point, the player who set the pick should make an angle to the basket where the best possible pass can be recieved. In STAT's case, his arm waiving just alerts defenders even more. This is obviously just my but next game watch for yourself.

Superstar

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    As expected I will put some of Amare's struggles on the shoulder of MOA. It's basically two-fold.

#1 STATue often looks disinterested offensively out there and when that happens it makes him look even more useless since he can't lock down on defense to make up for it. He doesn't demand the ball, which leads me to believe he never fells like he can realistically dominate his defender (obviously a byproduct of dependency on a pg). No post game either to help get him going. Just an overall decline.

#2 Antoni HAS to see what we all see and must make it his priority to get Amare the touches he needs in the right spots. The problem with MOA is that once he gets a good PG, he TOTALLY relies on said PG to make all the decisions. IMO, Antoni is more of a manager of shooters. He doesn't see the game based on a players skill level. What I mean by that is, he know everything about your ability to shoot the ball but doesn't seem like he holds other aspects of the game with the same respect.

I know STAT is under achieving BUT I don't see Antoni doing anything to get him going. Every game looks the same to me with STAT trying to set a pick through anyone who has the ball. STAT should also be getting the ball in the post (i know he won't post up) where he can face his defender and make a quicker move to the basket. This is better for him because when he's 10+ ft away he just looks awful trying to create.

The PnR is also baffling me. STAT has no idea how to position himself for the pass on the roll. I pay attention to these things every game. When he sets a pick, he immediately thinks he should get the ball so he raises his arms and lightly moves to the basket. This isn't gonna cut it.You can't just set a pick and start waving your arms. A PnR has to give the appearance as though the pg (or whomever) has escaped their defender and is trying to take advantage of the new defender who had to pick him up on the switch. At this point, the player who set the pick should make an angle to the basket where the best possible pass can be recieved. In STAT's case, his arm waiving just alerts defenders even more. This is obviously just my but next game watch for yourself.
    I agree with every thing you said, but he doesn't even set the picks, he just steps up and rolls.This is the reason, he doesn't get miss matches on little guys.I have tried to back off Antoni, but your right, i watch STAT just stand out there for 5 straight plays, just wandering around, what is this guy coaching.He has been with antoni his whole career, hasn't developed any kind of big mans game, what other PF, in the NBA doesn't know how to set a pick, post up, or play any kind of defense,"I WAS NEVER TAUGHT HOW TO PLAY DEFENSE".Just sad.

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Tommy Beer: Per @Hoopdata, Amar’e is shooting under 24% from 3-9 feet & just 36% from 16-23 feet this season. Both #’s FAR below his career percentages

During the broadcast, Clyde mentioned last night that STAT was aiming his shot. Apparently, there is a lack of confidence issue right now. Also, he is definitely lacking the hops from last year (someone mentioned a 6'10" version of Bibby?).

I refuse to believe he is done and expect him to come around in the next couple of weeks and give us a positive contribution. Enough with the hating and crying about the money he is making. He is one of us and we must root for him to turn it around!!!

Originally Posted by fender0577
    I agree with every thing you said, but he doesn't even set the picks, he just steps up and rolls.This is the reason, he doesn't get miss matches on little guys.I have tried to back off Antoni, but your right, i watch STAT just stand out there for 5 straight plays, just wandering around, what is this guy coaching.He has been with antoni his whole career, hasn't developed any kind of big mans game, what other PF, in the NBA doesn't know how to set a pick, post up, or play any kind of defense,"I WAS NEVER TAUGHT HOW TO PLAY DEFENSE".Just sad.
    You're absolutely right about this. Most times he doesn't allow the pick to fully complete before he rolls. Its more like a step and move. Either way, this is something you would think Antoni would be seeing and actively correcting IN-GAME.

Originally Posted by portega1968
    Tommy Beer: Per @Hoopdata, Amar’e is shooting under 24% from 3-9 feet & just 36% from 16-23 feet this season. Both #’s FAR below his career percentages
    Players do experience slumps on offense. However, there is no excuse for not trying on defense. In STAT's case, he seemed to become discouraged when he could not find his rhythm on offense and in turn lost his motivation to play defense. Hopefully that's just my perception. STAT is too good of a player to let Kim's reject walk all over him.

This team won't go far without STAT returning to his old self.

Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    Players do experience slumps on offense. However, there is no excuse for not trying on defense. In STAT's case, he seemed to become discouraged when he could not find his rhythm on offense and in turn lost his motivation to play defense. Hopefully that's just my perception. STAT is too good of a player to let Kim's reject walk all over him.

This team won't go far without STAT returning to his old self.
    I'm not so sure about that. Jorts is hungry and we all know how hard those types of players want to succeed. If he puts forth more effort on defense and he's proven he will post up and even hit mid range shots then watch out STAT. $20 mil or not, you reward the best player.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    I'm not so sure about that. Jorts is hungry and we all know how hard those types of players want to succeed. If he puts forth more effort on defense and he's proven he will post up and even hit mid range shots then watch out STAT. $20 mil or not, you reward the best player.
    Unless we can find a taker for his contract, STAT is here to stay. Sure Jorts is hungry. There are a lot of hungry players in NBA who just want an opportunity to showcase their talents but rarely does a Jeremy Lin emerge. STAT and his 20 mil will not be replaced and displaced. We'd better pray that STAT's regression is only temporary.

Superstar

Someone needs to tell him to stop wearing hipster glasses and dressing like a 70 year old jewish man from Brooklyn in press conferences. This isn't the 1940's step your game up.