Official Support Amar'e Stoudemire Thread

smokes

Huge Member
iJoe is right. KingStarbury and plenty of others wanted to get rid of Fields because he was in a bit of a slump, a lot of people wanted to trade Shumpert those games he was going 4-20.

Yeah ok let's trade STAT for a D-Leaguer and a couple of bottles of water and say goodbye to any hope we have of a ring :rolleyes:

Because 20ppg, is meaningless ;)

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Yes trade all of our players when they're at their worst.....

If we had things your way, we would have traded Fields for peanuts when he was struggling and would eventually have a team full of crap no one else wants since EVERY player struggles now and then.

Prime example? Look at Dirk. He was playing like absolute shiit early this year until he got slowly into shape. I'm hoping the same case goes with Amare. He just lost his brother and he's definitely not in game shape physically or mentally. Hopefully he can get groove back slowly.

Word before his bro passed it seemed to me like Amare was improving but since then he's fallen back. I think in do time he'll get back close to his normal game, and your right you have to give guys a chance it's been like 30 games, what if STAT gets back to normal then whats all the ppl hating on him gonna say.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
I got your back, STAT

I can understand everyone's frustration regarding STAT...It's been bothering me too.

BUT, I for one will give my man some slack for a few good reasons.

1. STAT and Felton BOTH started falling off before the ASG due to 'Asstoni pounding them into dust with his 7-8 man rotation.
2. That damn back injury had him away from ball for MONTHS. Even though he make look physically "fit" we know it's not the same as "ball fit" evidenced by his ankle injury early on this year.
3. The man's big brother died VERY recently, and they were close. Don't discount this when it seems like he's just going through the motions out there.

He's a stand-up guy in my book, and was the first to come to us WILLING to carry the burden of reviving a long since pronounced dead, but still a proud franchise. Mad props to him for that...at least from me.

So, in conclusion...I for one will support STAT until his time with us is done. I have faith that he'll bounce back and give us quality play. But he won't, and we don't need, that 30+ pts STAT anymore. Just work on D, board, get that sweet J back, and P&R when the opposing D and the game dictates.

KingCharles34

All Star
iJoe is right. KingStarbury and plenty of others wanted to get rid of Fields because he was in a bit of a slump, a lot of people wanted to trade Shumpert those games he was going 4-20.

Yeah ok let's trade STAT for a D-Leaguer and a couple of bottles of water and say goodbye to any hope we have of a ring :rolleyes:

Because 20ppg, is meaningless ;)

20ppg is meaningless when your like a statue on defense, Amare on D looks like he has cement in his shoes. And hes no longer the very efficient player he once was, the one thing he always did very well I wouldnt even consider him good at anymore.

And it makes no sense to compare Fields and Stoudemire. Stats an established veteran who's clearly still on the decline. Fields is still only in his second year. And Fields doesnt even make a milli, I dont know who was suggesting that we trade him but I can think of more reasons why we should trade Stat. I have about 100 million of them to be exact...

KingCharles34

All Star
I can understand everyone's frustration regarding STAT...It's been bothering me too.

BUT, I for one will give my man some slack for a few good reasons.

1. STAT and Felton BOTH started falling off before the ASG due to 'Asstoni pounding them into dust with his 7-8 man rotation.
2. That damn back injury had him away from ball for MONTHS. Even though he make look physically "fit" we know it's not the same as "ball fit" evidenced by his ankle injury early on this year.
3. The man's big brother died VERY recently, and they were close. Don't discount this when it seems like he's just going through the motions out there.

He's a stand-up guy in my book, and was the first to come to us WILLING to carry the burden of reviving a long since pronounced dead, but still a proud franchise. Mad props to him for that...at least from me.

So, in conclusion...I for one will support STAT until his time with us is done. I have faith that he'll bounce back and give us quality play. But he won't, and we don't need, that 30+ pts STAT anymore. Just work on D, board, get that sweet J back, and P&R when the opposing D and the game dictates.
1. Ill give u that, but Stat took games off last year and still never got back to being the Stat we knew earlier in the season

2. He had plenty of time go get things going again before his brother died

3. Again, i dont even need to judge Stat on what hes done since returning from his brothers passing

You must be dreaming if u think hes gonna work on his defense

These are all excuses that most of u guys are making, why do fans and the media go out of their way to make excuses for Stat while also going out of their way to scrutinize Carmelo? Melo was clearly the better of the two before he got hurt

unloopme

Benchwarmer
1. Ill give u that, but Stat took games off last year and still never got back to being the Stat we knew earlier in the season

2. He had plenty of time go get things going again before his brother died

3. Again, i dont even need to judge Stat on what hes done since returning from his brothers passing

You must be dreaming if u think hes gonna work on his defense

These are all excuses that most of u guys are making, why do fans and the media go out of their way to make excuses for Stat while also going out of their way to scrutinize Carmelo? Melo was clearly the better of the two before he got hurt
You won't EVER catch me hatin' on Melo either. I'm glad they're both here to be honest.

On point 2.
I don't think any of us can judge just where he's at physically. Back pain is no joke, I know this firsthand. Sometimes the shit just lingers and you never get right. I hope that's not the case with STAT, cause I'm pulling for him(no homo.)

But I feel the same frustrations as you, and yeah, at least I can "dream" about him working on D. :smokin:

KingCharles34

All Star
^

Well i respect u on point 1...

You have a point with point 2 as well, I'd like to see him make a comeback to the same form he was in the first half of last season. This might be hard to believe but Im even rooting for him to do this, at the same time I just dont see him being the consistent dominant and efficient force he was in the past. I hope Im wrong, I realize that realistically he wont be traded. Part of the "Trade Stat" stuff is shock humor although i do see the potential advantages of not having to pay him all the money he's owed.

I guess what frustrates me the most is the Knicks fans and media that do defend Stat but hate on Melo. But we'll have to see what Stat does from here, I hope he proves me wrong. It'd be for the better of the team if he does, no question about that

nyk_nyk

All Star
Slower
Invisible
Inconsistent jumper
Lazy on defense
Rarely finishes strong
Not even a minor post game

All this and he's only 30! I have this bad feeling that he'll be reduced to an average PF by 32 and strictly relying on mid range jumpers. The fact that he has no post game will def shorten his career when the little bit of quickness he has is gone. Let's not forget he's a subpar defender so he can't even use that to prolong his career... Sort of like KG has done.

I still support STATue but I can see rough times ahead if things don't change soon.

KingofNy

Starter
Slower
Invisible
Inconsistent jumper
Lazy on defense
Rarely finishes strong
Not even a minor post game

All this and he's only 30! I have this bad feeling that he'll be reduced to an average PF by 32 and strictly relying on mid range jumpers. The fact that he has no post game will def shorten his career when the little bit of quickness he has is gone. Let's not forget he's a subpar defender so he can't even use that to prolong his career... Sort of like KG has done.

I still support STATue but I can see rough times ahead if things don't change soon.

Exactly. People think that us pointing out his problems is saying that we don't support him. It isn't like that... We're just wanting him to improve his game as every Knick fan should. And everyone's hate for Melo is unwarranted... We'd have 2-3 wins before Lin if it weren't for Melo.

smokes

Huge Member
Exactly. People think that us pointing out his problems is saying that we don't support him. It isn't like that... We're just wanting him to improve his game as every Knick fan should. And everyone's hate for Melo is unwarranted... We'd have 2-3 wins before Lin if it weren't for Melo.

There's a big difference between pointing out problems and straight up hating. I know you are just pointing things out, and KingStarbury, to a degree, since his posts are always extreme.

But watch a game thread, where people are just bitching on STAT every single page. We need to back STAT (no pun intended :lol: ) positivity FTW!

KingCharles34

All Star
I know I've defended Melo but let me be the first to say if Melo keeps playing this way he deserves one of these threads too. Its painful watching both of them on defense but I believe Melo will contribute more on offense once he plays a few more games

smokes

Huge Member
Don't get me wrong, it's a damn shame I even have to create this thread due to STAT's poor overall play.

I'm just not willing to give up on our players, not Melo either. Not Fields who gets so much shit even after proving people wrong repeatedly.

There's sooooo many "excuses" as to why STAT, Melo and the Knicks in general have had a crappy season. But we've seen the flipside of it, the winstreak was great and we can accomplish that on an even higher level with our best players playing at their best.

STAT and Melo are career all-stars, that's not going to just go away.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
That jump shot of STAT's was whack tonight. Last year, he sinks 3/4ths of the open jumpers he took tonight. What the hell happened to his shot? The main reason he's considered a good player is because he has a consistent mid-range jumper to go along with the whole "strongest player in the league" deal.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
STAT needs to wake up and start playing like the 20-million dollar superstar. I knew he doesn't play defense from day one but I was counting on stellar offense from him to offset all his deficiencies. WTH happened during last off-season? I hardly recognize this year's STAT.

quiggle

Starter
not sure why some of you demand his performance must match his salary, its guaranteed money anyway regardless. now if you were in his situation with creaky knees would you be dumb enough to blow them out and jepodize your health for life, do you think he cares what Knicks fans think for the next two three years? in the end he will be remember as Suns because best playing days, ROY, for now he's really in Hawaii collecting paycheck. i bet inside hes laughing how he took new york by the hairs of chinny chin chin all the way home

clumsy

Rotation player
I will give the man his propers when he stops playing like Christina Bosh. Mid-range Amare is not a MAX player (like Mid range Bosh). I hope his loss of explosion is just temporary.

nyk_nyk

All Star
As expected I will put some of Amare's struggles on the shoulder of MOA. It's basically two-fold.

#1 STATue often looks disinterested offensively out there and when that happens it makes him look even more useless since he can't lock down on defense to make up for it. He doesn't demand the ball, which leads me to believe he never fells like he can realistically dominate his defender (obviously a byproduct of dependency on a pg). No post game either to help get him going. Just an overall decline.

#2 Antoni HAS to see what we all see and must make it his priority to get Amare the touches he needs in the right spots. The problem with MOA is that once he gets a good PG, he TOTALLY relies on said PG to make all the decisions. IMO, Antoni is more of a manager of shooters. He doesn't see the game based on a players skill level. What I mean by that is, he know everything about your ability to shoot the ball but doesn't seem like he holds other aspects of the game with the same respect.

I know STAT is under achieving BUT I don't see Antoni doing anything to get him going. Every game looks the same to me with STAT trying to set a pick through anyone who has the ball. STAT should also be getting the ball in the post (i know he won't post up) where he can face his defender and make a quicker move to the basket. This is better for him because when he's 10+ ft away he just looks awful trying to create.

The PnR is also baffling me. STAT has no idea how to position himself for the pass on the roll. I pay attention to these things every game. When he sets a pick, he immediately thinks he should get the ball so he raises his arms and lightly moves to the basket. This isn't gonna cut it. You can't just set a pick and start waving your arms. A PnR has to give the appearance as though the pg (or whomever) has escaped their defender and is trying to take advantage of the new defender who had to pick him up on the switch. At this point, the player who set the pick should make an angle to the basket where the best possible pass can be recieved. In STAT's case, his arm waiving just alerts defenders even more. This is obviously just my :2cents: but next game watch for yourself.

fender0577

Rotation player
As expected I will put some of Amare's struggles on the shoulder of MOA. It's basically two-fold.

#1 STATue often looks disinterested offensively out there and when that happens it makes him look even more useless since he can't lock down on defense to make up for it. He doesn't demand the ball, which leads me to believe he never fells like he can realistically dominate his defender (obviously a byproduct of dependency on a pg). No post game either to help get him going. Just an overall decline.

#2 Antoni HAS to see what we all see and must make it his priority to get Amare the touches he needs in the right spots. The problem with MOA is that once he gets a good PG, he TOTALLY relies on said PG to make all the decisions. IMO, Antoni is more of a manager of shooters. He doesn't see the game based on a players skill level. What I mean by that is, he know everything about your ability to shoot the ball but doesn't seem like he holds other aspects of the game with the same respect.

I know STAT is under achieving BUT I don't see Antoni doing anything to get him going. Every game looks the same to me with STAT trying to set a pick through anyone who has the ball. STAT should also be getting the ball in the post (i know he won't post up) where he can face his defender and make a quicker move to the basket. This is better for him because when he's 10+ ft away he just looks awful trying to create.

The PnR is also baffling me. STAT has no idea how to position himself for the pass on the roll. I pay attention to these things every game. When he sets a pick, he immediately thinks he should get the ball so he raises his arms and lightly moves to the basket. This isn't gonna cut it.You can't just set a pick and start waving your arms. A PnR has to give the appearance as though the pg (or whomever) has escaped their defender and is trying to take advantage of the new defender who had to pick him up on the switch. At this point, the player who set the pick should make an angle to the basket where the best possible pass can be recieved. In STAT's case, his arm waiving just alerts defenders even more. This is obviously just my :2cents: but next game watch for yourself.
:agreed:I agree with every thing you said, but he doesn't even set the picks, he just steps up and rolls.This is the reason, he doesn't get miss matches on little guys.I have tried to back off Antoni, but your right, i watch STAT just stand out there for 5 straight plays, just wandering around, what is this guy coaching.He has been with antoni his whole career, hasn't developed any kind of big mans game, what other PF, in the NBA doesn't know how to set a pick, post up, or play any kind of defense,"I WAS NEVER TAUGHT HOW TO PLAY DEFENSE".Just sad.

portega1968

El Cacique
Tommy Beer: Per @Hoopdata, Amar’e is shooting under 24% from 3-9 feet & just 36% from 16-23 feet this season. Both #’s FAR below his career percentages

During the broadcast, Clyde mentioned last night that STAT was aiming his shot. Apparently, there is a lack of confidence issue right now. Also, he is definitely lacking the hops from last year (someone mentioned a 6'10" version of Bibby?).

I refuse to believe he is done and expect him to come around in the next couple of weeks and give us a positive contribution. Enough with the hating and crying about the money he is making. He is one of us and we must root for him to turn it around!!!