Was this loss a positive?

smokes

Huge Member
Couple of good things that come out of this loss.

Firstly it might cool off the Linsanity. Lin played well tonight don't get me wrong but he didn't have a superstar stat line and we lost.

As fun as it was, the Lin craze was getting out of control. I hope the media find something else to latch on to. Knicks need to get back to focusing purely on balling.

I was pretty impressed to see the last minutes of the game when it was basically lost we went all out. So many teams in that situation just sit back and play it out, we scrapped right til it was 4 seconds left.

Wargames

Starter
there we're no positives to this game except Baron Played... It was a major development that people are overlooking since they're pissed about the loss. With baron playing Lin at most should get about 30 minutes a game which will lower his TO. Plus Baron had a circus pass to novak that was waived off because of the clock. Stuff like that can chop a defense up if Baron gets it down consistently again.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It was another game in which we lost our mojo after an impressive start.

There are positives to be taken out of it, of course, but there are a lot of negatives.

It's not like every opponent is going to bomb us out of the game like the Nyets did, but it showed that our perimeter defense is questionable.

I was very happy to see an almost complete second unit out there. I think any sort of push we make for a high seed will rely on that and some professionalism and desire from AMar'e and Carmelo.

Very unimpressed with them both tonight. It's a real shame that the full starting 5 had their first run together and were underwhelming.

CA7

Scoring Champ
If we play the way we played the 1st 5 minutes every game, I think we'll be fine

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
This game was good because even though they played horrible they never gave up or had bad body language it's just a tough situation integrating all these players at the same time and have D Will go off like that plus terrible officiating.

TakMan

Rotation player
Chemistryyyyy

I think the main question here is: was it necessary to re-integrate Anthony this quickly? He played around 36 minutes if I'm not mistaken. Undeniably he also messed greatly with team chemistry.

However, with the Hawks and the Heat coming up, I can understand the need to hasten our best (?) scorer's re-introduction to the team.

Soon to find out if the gamble paid off.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Hopefully this loss makes Amare and Melo realize they must play defense..

Sad part is that Melo and Amar'e has been preaching defense and talking about getting better since Melo arrived in NY. How many times do they have to be reminded that defense is a MUST. They have to bring it every game. They should both make it a personal challenge to play 10 straight games of consistent, hounding defense. If they can do that, we're right up there with Chicago and Miami. If not, we'll be a middle of the pack team for the next four years.

So far, Amar'e has regressed on defense. After averaging an encouraging 1.9 blocks/game last season, the "Renaissance Man" is averaging just 0.7 bpg so far. Not to mention, his seemingly utter lack of defensive awareness, often looking like a blind dog on defense.

Melo, on the other hand, has shown flashes of good defensive effort but has so far been very inconsistent when it comes to effort. Of course, all of us knows about his play with the media putting Carmelo under the microscope since Linsanity erupted.

I don't think so. The loss against the Hornets was imo, but not this one.

Everybody tried to play well and everybody passed the ball, but for some reason we couldn't score.......and the refs screwed us...again.

We missed Shump to slow Williams down.

Strange that we always seem to struggle against the 'shit' teams.

Let's hope we win the last 2 games before the All-Star break.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Well, if both your forwards earning $40M/year combined grab equal amount boards your $700K point guard does then you know there was nothing positive about that game. When your superstars score less points than your backcourt sophomores you know that game was as bad as can be. When your best finisher causes almost twice more turnovers than your two ballhandlers combined you know someone has to work on himself. If your offensive beasts with huge contracts shoot under 40% against a bunch of defensive noobs you know someone's overpaid. If your team at its full steam loses to a .294 scrubs you know that game cannot be a positive.

tiger0330

Legend
Well, if both your forwards earning $40M/year combined grab equal amount boards your $700K point guard does then you know there was nothing positive about that game. When your superstars score less points than your backcourt sophomores you know that game was as bad as can be. When your best finisher causes almost twice more turnovers than your two ballhandlers combined you know someone has to work on himself. If your offensive beasts with huge contracts shoot under 40% against a bunch of defensive noobs you know someone's overpaid. If your team at its full steam loses to a .294 scrubs you know that game cannot be a positive.
Co-sign. :agreed: Plus getting beat by a team of scrubs w/o their starting C and 6th man. And when was the last time the opposing team scored 100 points on us, when both Melo and Stat were in the starting lineup.

Getting a little sick of the "It will take time to integrate Melo into the rotation" excuse and our other $100M man with a PER that's 89th in the NBA.

Last edited:

clumsy

Rotation player
Eh i kinda think the loss was Luck. Deron doesn't hit 7 3's all the time. The more concerning part is Kris Humphries owning the boards compared to Amare.

DWill wanted this game more, he even marked the game on the calender because he didn't see how people thought he was destroyed by Lin. This was a statement game. b4 the game, Mello said he saw that look in DWill's eyes and knew it was going to be a game.

Anyway, Melo, B.Davis, Smith...and Stat just recently started playing..... together.....without much practice. Give them some time...chemistry dosen't come over night.

Kiyaman

Legend
Do the Knicks Practice?

How did we lose at home (MSG) to a team that was playing on
their last legs in their 3rd game in 3 nights?

Do we practice?
Seriously, what guard was practicing with Davis & Melo while injured?
Why wasnt Davis, JR, and Melo put in a trio-lineup to work at tightening the
scews/bolts in their game? They played like shiiit together.

We had a Starters/Finishers lineup in Tyson/Jeff/Fields/Shump/and Lin-Sanity....
Hell no! I dont believe Shump was injured....
Dantoni have the chance to make this Knicks team into a 2-unit team....
offense & defense
Davis/JR/Melo/Novak/Stat -vs- Lin/Shump/Fields/Jeff/Tyson are red-hot
Melo & Stat receiving 35+ minutes resulted in a Knicks loss at home....
The two super-stars are high-scorers, they're not complimentary-team-players

portega1968

El Cacique
This game was good because even though they played horrible they never gave up or had bad body language it's just a tough situation integrating all these players at the same time and have D Will go off like that plus terrible officiating.

+1 for the intruder that always gives an unbiased and on target assessment of what is happening... good to have you on board and may God help your Lakers start their vacations early this spring

If you see an egg hatching and help out the chick instead of letting it hatch on its own, it will grow weak and die in no time. Defeats like this one will make us much stronger. Obvious lessons from last night were: never underestimate any opponent, defend the 3point line and make the ****ing free throws. Also, it was a good reminder of the value Shumpert brings to the team now that he may lose minutes with JR and Baron in the mix.

If you look at history anywhere, the greatest victories were a result of overcoming great challenges. Giants winning the Super Bowl this year is just the most recent example. And I firmly believe we will look back at games like the Hornets and Nets and see that they were part of the puzzle that led us to ultimate victory.

Some quotes for us to keep our faith after suffering for decades!!!:

Success is sweet: the sweeter if long delayed and attained through manifold struggles and defeats (A. Branson Alcott)

To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first (William Shakespeare)

Good timber does not grow with ease. The stronger the wind the stronger the trees (J. Willard Marriott)

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome (Anne Bradstreet)

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved (Helen Keller)

Go without a coat when it's cold; find out what cold is. Go hungry; keep your existence lean. Wear away the fat, get down to the lean tissue and see what it's all about. The only time you define your character is when you go without. In times of hardship, you find out what you're made of and what you're capable of. If you're never tested, you'll never define your character (Henry Rollins)

It's a good thing to have all the props pulled out from under us occasionally. It gives us some sense of what is rock under our feet, and what is sand (Madeleine L'Engle)

If you go in search of honey, you must expect to encounter bees (Thomas Szasz)

Always remember that striving and struggle precede success, even in the dictionary (Sarah Ban Breathnach)

Education comes from within; you get it by struggle and effort and thought (Napoleon Hill)

Where there is no struggle, there is no strength (Oprah Winfrey)

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. (Frederick Douglass)

The battle of life is, in most cases, fought uphill; and to win it without a struggle were perhaps to win it without honor. If there were no difficulties there would be no success; if there were nothing to struggle for, there would be nothing to be achieved. (Samuel Smiles)

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
DWill wanted this game more, he even marked the game on the calender because he didn't see how people thought he was destroyed by Lin. This was a statement game. b4 the game, Mello said he saw that look in DWill's eyes and knew it was going to be a game.

Anyway, Melo, B.Davis, Smith...and Stat just recently started playing..... together.....without much practice. Give them some time...chemistry dosen't come over night.
I believe a guy named Jeremy Lin pretty much disproves chemistry doesn't happen overnight.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
How did we lose at home (MSG) to a team that was playing on
their last legs in their 3rd game in 3 nights?

Allowing a team of scrubs to beat you at home was never acceptable for a team who aspires to win championship. I don't see any silverlings from last night's disaster.

Melo and his hubris will continue to be the biggest hurdle for MDA to overcome. STAT's clumsiness to rotate on defense and inability to protect the rim render him a real liability everytime the other team has the ball.

In fact, both losses during this Linsanity era were the result of poor perimeter defense. DWill's hot shooting last night was emblematic of Lin's poor court awareness on defense. Lin's 4 steals do not offset all the open looks DWill got because he could not get around the screen.

The soiree is officially over. Time to do some serious work.

I believe a guy named Jeremy Lin pretty much disproves chemistry doesn't happen overnight.

The Lin hype is blinding. Don?t let that streak fool you. It?s tough playing against a team without an identity. No one knew what to expect from Lin or the team. Fortunately, it worked out for us because everyone (other than Stat and Melo) wanted to prove their worth. Now with our Stars back in the rotation?Stars who have been the ?go to guys? most of their careers are trying to adjust to what?s happening now. It will take time.

edit: Oh...just to add..

There?s no way we continue to win without them?even their experience and support from the bench was very helpful in getting us those wins. None of us can really judge this team just yet. JLin is playing so hard I feel he will collapse on the floor. He?s panting more and showing clear signs of fatigue. If you are sleeping on a couch one day and suddenly get a chance to start on a struggling team the next day....you?ll play extra hard and more focus too. Let?s wait a bit longer b4 either of us make more assumptions.

What?s happening right now is special and out of the ordinary?they will either figure out how to co-exist?or changes will be made?nothing new.