A Plea to Carmelo from his biggest fan

CA7

Scoring Champ
hes good physique wise but its the 30 pounds of goofy accessories he wears the drag him down. for once, waer no headband, no arm sleeves, no leg warmers etc.

thats another things, also those damn rib pads he wears, he's slowing himself down alot

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
so... as much as i love melo as well, lets not fool ourselves Melo Just does not fit dantoni's system.

Dantoni wants- Ball movement

Melo wants- Iso

Jermey wants- The ball in his hands P.S you can see MELO"s Presence Disrupts Lins leadership.

Melo wants- The ball in his hands( even though he may not admit it)

Melo's back and now your asking him to play off ball, and move the ball around ? Iv'e watched basically Carmelo's Whole career and playing off the ball and moving it around is just not his game... the man thrives off Iso's, Abusing his defenders either blowing by them or taking the mid range jumper. So now you want to take this away from him? Basically I see dantoni asking him to become a spot up shooter....Like Gallanari was, Thats not going to work at all its not melo's game.

Can Carmelo change his game up to fit into the system? of course he can, but then your taking away his strengths which makes the denver trade look very pointless because what your now asking Carmelo to do all this playing off the ball and passing, spreading the floor, waiting for your pg to set you up Gallanari/wilson Chandler excelled at this, with raymond felton the only difference now is your asking a STAR to do it mind you a area where this star is not comfortable with..
Then ontop of that you have 3 guys who want the ball in their hands Melo, lin, Amare. on the positive note Lin, Melo did not look bad playing together nothing a couple of practices cant fix, melo looked like he was trying to hard to fit into the offense i think it has to come down to melo letting Lin play his game, Melo has to let Lin continue to attack. Lin has so much star power around him i think he's to concerned with Setting people up and trying to make Melo/stat happy they'll get their touches no doubt, but Lin is the leader of this team now its his job to figure out who gets the ball where they get the ball and when they get the ball he has to realize this melo needs to sit and have his little special talk like he did with Amare for Lin to fully grasp this.

honestly how long do you think this so called ball movement will last? it's only a matter of time before the pressure hits and some one gives in, trying to do to much, because they want to be the hero.

I can see melo actually Fitting with the mavericks slower pace for him and Dirk & and him can iso all they want, Dirk also has a post game which is close to unstoppable making a Dirk/Melo tandem even harder to guard + dirk can spread the floor up to the 3 point line. Of course i dont want to see Melo traded to any team i want him to be a Knick but just felt like throwing that out there

Defenders trying to guard Melo is like bringing A knife to a gun fight, Pen to a test (first to figure out what rapper said these lyrics Gets a Rep =p

Melo cant just move the ball around, he has to be more aggressive than he's ever been and attack the basket and either draw fouls or drive and hit the open man

OR

Like i said before the only way this works is if dantoni inserts a lethal shooter JR SMITH into the starting lineup and Follow the Boston Celtic Model

Where you have

Lin/Amare working the pick similar to--- Rondo/KG

JR smith spreading the floor and coming off screens similar to ---Ray allen. JR is not a better shooter than ray allen but he will have your defense sweating and light it up anytime

Melo Picking his spots weather it be Posting up or occasional Iso's---similar to paul pierce

Chandler does not really have to make any changes.

Solution 3 have amare or Melo come off the bench, i prefer amare Defenders are starting to lock down the paint because there losing respect for amare's jumper. He couldn't even drive pass dirk of all people. Move stat to center coming off the bench and surround him with Baron, Jr, Novak, and fields

P.S did anyone notice, Lin giving up the ball alot Monday? JR was running the offense for a bit and i believe one play he literally ran over to melo to give the ball to melo leading to a Turn over? hmmm FATIGUE CATCHING UP?

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Carmelo really just doesn't understand how important it is he maintain the spacing our offense requires.

He simply wont let go of his sweet spots.

Looks like we're going to have to lose some more before he uses discipline within the system.

Starting to get sick of this ****er. :alert:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Carmelo really just doesn't understand how important it is he maintain the spacing our offense requires.

He simply wont let go of his sweet spots.

Looks like we're going to have to lose some more before he uses discipline within the system.

Starting to get sick of this ****er. :alert:

Dumbest post of the day!

WTF are you talking about??? How is Melo disrupting the spacing? Please explain that one.

He won't let go of his sweet spots??? Dude, you have no idea what you're saying. Honestly, I think you just started watching basetball. So you want to reduce Melo to a role player within a so called "system" you worship? lol

You're questioning his discipline in the "system" when he only took 11 shots and pretty much overpassed the ball. You were on here no too long ago talking about how Melo needs to pass more and stop shooting so much. Oh man I can't wait to find one of your posts and expose you for a non-basketball understanding complaining fool. :teeth:

nyk_nyk

All Star
It will be very exciting to see what Davis will be able to do. Our season depends on his play.

Melo simply cannot hack it as a point forward. He's a scorer and he needs someone to direct the offense for him.

All Knick fans should hope to God he can come back and be effective. Because if he is we'll be a seriously dangerous team.

B Davis can run every bit of this offense.

Yet you want him to "let go of his sweet spots" LOLOLOLOL!!!

GTFOH with that crap. You've been exposed!

Number3

Benchwarmer
either Lin or Melo have to take control.. they too worried bout passing it to each other... they need to turn on the killer instinct and go for the kill... if one is not havin their day then they could pass it... or pass it for a better open look

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
either Lin or Melo have to take control.. they too worried bout passing it to each other... they need to turn on the killer instinct and go for the kill... if one is not havin their day then they could pass it... or pass it for a better open look

Lin has to take control and not defer to Carmelo.

Carmelo needs to be patient and continue to spread the floor like he's doing

Call me crazy but Barganani is the IDLE center for this starting the lineup. I love chandlers leadership and defensive presence but a stretch C helps everyone offensively no clogged lanes and more spacing, this also helps Amare to be more effective. We would probably be one of the worst defensive/rebounding teams in the league though thats the only downfall

pat

Starter
Dumbest post of the day!

WTF are you talking about??? How is Melo disrupting the spacing? Please explain that one.

Actually, I don't think this is dumb. Maybe I can explain. Our offense is build like a horse shoe. The pg has to penetrate into the "horse shoe" towards the basket. If he manages to keep his dribble alive (which Lin sometimes doesn't do as of yet --> hence the turnovers) he can either sink the floater, stop and pop, curl around a block emerging from underneath the basket, or he can -- and this is what should happen most often -- pass it to the open man, either for a three point shot or in penetrating towards the basket. As a variation on that theme, three players can spread the floor even wider and the pg and the pf/c use the middle of our horse shoe to play a pick and role. Melo is used to catching the ball in mid-range, reading the defense, making his move or passing the ball, if the defense are not giving him anything to work with. Doing so, he allows his defender to help out on the pg-penertration, quickly returning afterwards. Also he is right in the way of the pick and role. Neither does he penetrate to the basket, trailing the pg (that's hard work and in at least 70 per cent of the cases you do not get the ball, so it is not in his game plan).
Ever since this trade happened that's what I have been saying: He is one heck of a player, but I cannot see how he is going to fit in.

Red

TYPE-A
Dumbest post of the day!

He won't let go of his sweet spots??? Dude, you have no idea what you're saying. Honestly, I think you just started watching basetball. So you want to reduce Melo to a role player within a so called "system" you worship? lol

You're questioning his discipline in the "system" when he only took 11 shots and pretty much overpassed the ball. You were on here no too long ago talking about how Melo needs to pass more and stop shooting so much. Oh man I can't wait to find one of your posts and expose you for a non-basketball understanding complaining fool. :teeth:

After a loss...smh why some overcomplicate things, overanalyze things.

I can be as reactive as any, but the loss to NJ seems relatively simple.

Shump and Chandler are our best defenders; Shump out due to injury, Chandler too many quick fouls. Thats it. A team shoots 50% from three and your best perimeter defender is out, plus you struggle getting new and reinserted players acclimated... duh.

First game with Melo back, BD in, and the second for JR Smith. If we played our newer-more-experienced-with-each-other lineup we would have probably looked better and maybe won. But we had to take a (necessary) step back to incorporate some upgrades.

Melo is NOT Walker, he's better. JR is NOT Fields, he's better but obviously has yet to log significant minutes within this system. Lin is relatively new to them (although they have played together before); how Lin connects with Chandler and STAT is new to them, even I can see they need time. Speaking of...

It seems like either we are in roster flux, an injury, a lock-out, etc... but there is always something preventing us from completely gelling and being at 100%.

Where:

-everyone knows the system and is comfortable with their roles
-everyone knows what to expect from their teammates
-the rotation is set 1-15
-the contingencies and game specific situation plans are understood by everyone
-everyone on the same page, clicking on all cylinders

I'm tired of this but see the potential and must keep my eye on the prize. I just seen it (and have before) with the Giants as well as in the first few minutes of that game. Guy's need practice time especially on defense, and as they get it they improve. Adding new players or returning injured players, while a necessity, actually sets us back.

We can only hope we are clicking on all cylinders come playoff time. That's what we had to hope for with the Giants.

And with all these egos and new shit, Lin could step up his leadership and assertiveness. The opportunity has presented itself IMO.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Actually, I don't think this is dumb. Maybe I can explain. Our offense is build like a horse shoe. The pg has to penetrate into the "horse shoe" towards the basket. If he manages to keep his dribble alive (which Lin sometimes doesn't do as of yet --> hence the turnovers) he can either sink the floater, stop and pop, curl around a block emerging from underneath the basket, or he can -- and this is what should happen most often -- pass it to the open man, either for a three point shot or in penetrating towards the basket. As a variation on that theme, three players can spread the floor even wider and the pg and the pf/c use the middle of our horse shoe to play a pick and role. Melo is used to catching the ball in mid-range, reading the defense, making his move or passing the ball, if the defense are not giving him anything to work with. Doing so, he allows his defender to help out on the pg-penertration, quickly returning afterwards. Also he is right in the way of the pick and role. Neither does he penetrate to the basket, trailing the pg (that's hard work and in at least 70 per cent of the cases you do not get the ball, so it is not in his game plan).
Ever since this trade happened that's what I have been saying: He is one heck of a player, but I cannot see how he is going to fit in.

Since when does a term like horseshoe become a part of basketball language. DA system typically uses a 4-out 1-in offense.

My simple analysis. Lin was passive at times, although he produced. He needs to keep his dribble like Williams was doing to him. Chandler was out most of the key stretches. We had no one to bother Williams (then again, Williams is REALLY good). As far as offensive fluidity, there were many cases that Melo stayed on the weak side. He didn't mess-up the PnR. And, I thought I'd never say this, but Jeffries didn't play enough minutes. He plays good man-on-man defense, particularly with 3s and 4s, and good help defense. He anticipates and moves his feet and hustles. Got to give him is props for effort.

I I think the Knicks will be peaking in 3 weeks. I'm not at all worried. They should play like a 3 or 4 seed. Hopefully the knicks can take the 6th seed at the very least (fifth seed will be great). They'll need to win 15 of 20 games or at least 11 of 15 games to make it close

Forrest17

Rotation player
What I hate about Carmelo. The only thing about his game that he needs to change. Its not that he is a ball hog and ruins chemistry, it is not that he is out of shape or whatever, it is his frustration

He gets, ANGERY, SO EASILY. I can't stand it. Look we can scream and get mad all we want, we are fans that is what we do.

I know the refs made a ton of terrible calls last night, but that happens. You have to keep a level head and move on which is something Carmelo just doesn't do. He shoves guys, starts whacking getting fouls and T's.. causes turn overs, looses focus, and stops playing when something happens that he feels was either an unfair call or something happens that he doesn't like. ANd this wasn't just last night. He has been a Knick for an entire year

There were a lot of games with some bad calls when he was injured. But did Lin give up? Did Lin loose his cool and his focus? NO. In fact you could make the argument that it even made him better.

I know it is crazy and I know this is happening so fast but this season imo is do or die for Carmelo as a Knick.. If we continue to struggle with him on this team and we get outed in the first round of the play offs, trade him. I don't care what it is for just clear his salary from the books. We are now deeper than we were before we traded for him, and with his contract on the books we will most likely have to let Fields, JR Smith, Novak, Davis all go and possibly Shumpert next season when his contract is up. And to be honest, I'd rather keep all those guys, have some cap flexibility within the next 2 seasons and give Lin a contract that he deserves than keep Carmelo which we can most certainly do considering how much money he makes... Unless we see some massive improvement from him this season.

And again, I am not basing this just on what I saw last night. I am going to give him time to adapt but at some point we can't keep making excuses for him. Why should we? Its been practically proven we were better when he didn't play. That could change, he could take us to the next level.. But honestly, he has been a Knick for an entire year and for the most part we have been terrible. We went on two stretches were we lost 9/10... Now we can say oh its because of this and that, D'Antoni's fault blabala. Lin came in and showed that this team is good enough to win, and get the wins that we should be winning.. And he did it with Jefferies, walker and fields in his starting Lin up for crying out loud.

I know its a small sample.. But jeez.. From what I've seen, Lin should be the go to guy, he should be our closer and number 1 option. He is selfless, fearless, and makes everyone around him better...

We should be emulating the Bulls. Build a deep team with the PG as the main go to option. That is our best chance for success.. A deep team that plays together...And Amar'e can be an upgraded Carlos Boozer.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Dumbest post of the day!

okay youre obviously mad and you nd to calm down. you sound hormonal. neway i can quote you saying you usually agree w me from a few wks back. n youre a little late. you were exposed the other night when i put your lack of understanding of chemistry regarding the pick n roll on blast for the forum to see. now your quoting yet another knowledgeable post from me n trying to make it out to be something it clearly is not. nice. you come off lame.

d'antoni has been quoted saying melo doesnt understand spacing. i believe he doesnt understand the importance of it. when we were on our streak w lin guys stuck to the rules of the system and our offense looked awesome. yes. melo has to sacrifice some of his offense, stick to the spacing and play unselfishly. he is not comfy doing this yet n sometimes he still reverts back to isoing up and doing his own thing, which is not what this offense needs at all, especially now tht we have lin. melo needs to DEFER to lin. i'll say it again. MELO NDS TO DEFER TO LIN. he is the higher iq player and the key to this offense. take it from somebody who knows the game cause this is what you'll be hearing on tv from others who know it in the coming days. then you'll think back to when you were sonned in this post. son. please do not waste my time w any more of your nonsensical posting.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

melo clinging to his swt spots is what kills the flow of this offense. melo MUST sacrifice his game n play within the flow n concepts of mdas system. period. you sir sound like n f-ing moron.

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
Melo needs to be more Shawn Marion like. The Matrix was a perfect fit in Dantoni's system, Imo they collapsed once they traded him for Shaq. He wasnt a great shooter but he was good enough where if he got open he could hit the 3. Melo's a better shooter then him, if anything he should embrace getting open looks instead of almost always taking shots in the face of the defense. Lets not even compare Melo and Marion defensively, I dont expect Carmelo to ever be that good defensively. I'd be happy if he played average defense

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Melo needs to be more Shawn Marion like. The Matrix was a perfect fit in Dantoni's system, Imo they collapsed once they traded him for Shaq. He wasnt a great shooter but he was good enough where if he got open he could hit the 3. Melo's a better shooter then him, if anything he should embrace getting open looks instead of almost always taking shots in the face of the defense. Lets not even compare Melo and Marion defensively, I dont expect Carmelo to ever be that good defensively. I'd be happy if he played average defense

Melo will never be play like Marion on offense.

Melo does not move unless he has the ball. Marion never stops moving on offense.

Melo thrives on iso plays. Marion is a catch-and-shoot player whose success on offense depends on good feed.

But let's not forget that Melo is a much better scorer than Marion. The question is whether or not Melo is made for MDA's system.

pat

Starter
Since when does a term like horseshoe become a part of basketball language. DA system typically uses a 4-out 1-in offense.

This is not rocket sicne, but basketball. I've been coaching this for years and visualising what is happening sometimes helps a lot. 4 out 1 in is what it is, but that's not precise enough, as 4 out 1 in could also mean a centre in high post position and the rest of the team being arranged in a rectangle around him.
What we are playing is different, Chandler does not get the ball for a hand-off. He is much closer to the basket and Lin penetrates into the paint. What Lin still needs to learn is getting out of the paint again without giving up his dribble.

I agree with you that Melo stayed on the weak side and tried to create space. But was he effective doing so? Did he look comfortable? It's not his game and it's not what he is good at.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

:agreed: Thank you!