Thread: Is Lin getting ahead of himself

Hybrid View

Superstar

Default Is Lin getting ahead of himself

So it appears that Jeremy is attempting to claim rights to the phrase 'Linsanity'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

New York Knicks basketball player Jeremy Lin has filed to trademark the term "Linsanity", used to characterize his rapid rise to NBA stardom.

Mr Lin's filings indicates the trademark will be used for a slew of sporting good, sports wear and other merchandise.

...a lawyer that represents Mr Lin told Bloomberg news agency: "We're prepared to enforce his intellectual property rights,"
    Seriously? After 12 or so good performances? Should he not be focussing on evolving as a player and making his game more complete? Hopefully his streak of good performances hasn't got to his head though I wouldn't bet against it.

He seemed a bit more down to earth than that.

IT'S ONLY BEEN 12 GAMES.

I guess he's figured out he can cash into the 1.5 billion strong Chinese market.

Well I doubt it's taking up too much of his time...

Advisors: Hey Jeremy, you should trademark "Linsanity"

Jeremy: Ok, get on that.

Advisors: Ok.

Superstar

Originally Posted by smokes

I don't doubt it's something like what you've described. Advisors can be quite manipulative and misleading though when it comes to 'looking out for their client's interest' when they're actually looking out for their own. It doesn't take much for one's head to get over inflated. Had he contributed consistently for a good couple of years or so maybe I could understand this. Again I hope this isn't the start of something not so good.
    Last edited by TakMan; Feb 23, 2012 at 05:09.

C'mon son!! It's not that serious.

Denny Green trademarked "they are who we thought they were," and Bart Scott trademarked "Can't Wait!!"

If someone is going to print/use a phrase that was either created by you, "popularized" by you, or created to be your nickname, to make money....you trademark it as your property.

Being a smart business man doesn't mean you're getting ahead of yourself or have your head getting inflated from your ego. It means you're being smart.

People are going to try to make money with the name Linsanity, why should anyone else have those rights when it's dude's nickname? Lol.

I'm sure if someone from the forums took the name TakMan, started a successful business venture, made millions with that name front and center on their product/service, you'd be frosty as all hell.

This is a nonissue, let's keep it moving.

The way you said it.... It's quite funny!

Superstar

This may have something to do with my disapproval of copyright/patenting/trademarking etc but to be honest what he's essentially done is branded himself after just a few good games. Like I said it may be (hopefully is) nothing but I am slightly worried about the prospect of fame getting to his head. He wouldn't be the first person to suddenly fall from the skies after buying into the hype surrounding his name rather than remaining humble and continuing to apply effort.

I sincerely hope my fears are unfounded.

Thus far he has been brilliant.

STFU! You ****in tards crying because he doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Eat a fat hater c0ck and leave Linsanity alone. ****in guys always gotta ****in knit pick everything.

Superstar

Originally Posted by JazRedGT
    STFU! You ****in tards crying because he doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Eat a fat hater c0ck and leave Linsanity alone. ****in guys always gotta ****in knit pick everything.
    How can you even claim that someone who makes 750k (soon to be in the millions) for tossing a ball around gets taken advantage of??! I'd hate to be a doctor on 30k reading this.

Periods are frightening things.
    Fair enough if Linsanity gets benefits for the biggest sports story of the year. All done on his own accord as a result of hard work. He thanks god for it, which seems pointless, but whatever gets him motivated makes my day better as a result! Praise Jesus!

I'll bet this was pretty much the whole conversation. Repped.
    Stupid to even have an opinion on this. This thread is useless.

Originally Posted by TakMan
    So it appears that Jeremy is attempting to claim rights to the phrase 'Linsanity'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Seriously? After 12 or so good performances? Should he not be focussing on evolving as a player and making his game more complete? Hopefully his streak of good performances hasn't got to his head though I wouldn't bet against it.

He seemed a bit more down to earth than that.

IT'S ONLY BEEN 12 GAMES.

I guess he's figured out he can cash into the 1.5 billion strong Chinese market.
    The man has got a Harvard business degree and he is living the American dream. Of course he is claiming the rights to Linsanity. There must be some money in this for him He is playing on a minimum contract.