Barkley says the Knicks might be the 3rd best team in the East

New New York

Quiet Storm
This was something that Charles Barkley said in an interview on ESPN 1050 Radio. Even though he said that we aren't in the same class as Miami or Chicago it is suprising to see Barkley put the Knicks so high.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/13050/barkley-dan-stubborn-about-coaching-d

Oakley calling him out has him talking nicer about the Knicks now!!!!

Loved him as a player, hate him as a commentator, his opinion is meaningless considering how often he is wrong!!

miked1958

Rotation player
Oakman

Oakley calling him out has him talking nicer about the Knicks now!!!!

Loved him as a player, hate him as a commentator, his opinion is meaningless considering how often he is wrong!!

This!
One Charles calling out another.....
Barkley opens up that big trap of his to often without thinking things through

Sage

Rotation player
He was also saying that he rates Melo over Durant and James in terms of best scoring ability. Considering I'm so used to the Knicks hate from Barkley, it's very odd to hear him saying these things.

I don't know why experts rank Chicago that high?!

I mean Miami is an obvious selection, they're the best team in the league right now (despite wholeheartedly disprizing them).

But Chicago?

Yes, Derrick Rose is a fantastic player and their defense is top notch, but that's about it. They have no great scorer apart from Rose, they're not very athletic apart from Rose, they're quite injury prone and Miami took them apart in the East Finals last season...I mean it wasn't even close.

And people need to remember that we had their number all season long in 10/11, we won in Chicago, at the Garden - everywhere against them.

We also had them close to defeat this season, despite beeing in the midst of a losing streak - playing terrible basketball AND without Steve NOvak, J.R. SMith, Jeremy LIn or Baron Davis.

I think our chances would be 60-70% to knock Chicago out in a playoff series, making the Bulls the 30-40% underdogs.

Teams like Indiana or Boston might actually be a tougher matchup for us than Chicago, we just don't play well against those type of teams.

petescud

Starter
I totally agree. I think there's Miami and then the Knicks are right there with Chicago, Indiana, Magic Etc. We only lost by 2 when we played them, and weren't we missing players too

I mean Miami is an obvious selection, they're the best team in the league right now (despite wholeheartedly disprizing them).

But Chicago?

Yes, Derrick Rose is a fantastic player and their defense is top notch, but that's about it. They have no great scorer apart from Rose, they're not very athletic apart from Rose, they're quite injury prone and Miami took them apart in the East Finals last season...I mean it wasn't even close.

And people need to remember that we had their number all season long in 10/11, we won in Chicago, at the Garden - everywhere against them.

We also had them close to defeat this season, despite beeing in the midst of a losing streak - playing terrible basketball AND without Steve NOvak, J.R. SMith, Jeremy LIn or Baron Davis.

I think our chances would be 60-70% to knock Chicago out in a playoff series, making the Bulls the 30-40% underdogs.

Teams like Indiana or Boston might actually be a tougher matchup for us than Chicago, we just don't play well against those type of teams.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player

But Chicago?

Exactly analyst and fans alike overrate Chicago imo and I actually like Chicago a lot. But yea most ppl look at their regular season success and their playoff run which was against a inexperienced Indiana team and a terrible never going nowhere ATL team then the 5 game elimination against MIA.

The Bulls have one great player, great D, and are very well coached. But imo I really don't see them beating MIA or NY I really can't they don't have enough fire power I don't believe in Rip or Boozer.

On another note Shaq just said he thinks NY can give MIA a run in the playoffs if Melo and STAT get their act together, Kenny agreed but Charles dumbass said that Lebrons way too good of a defensive player and would shut Melo down the whole series. I guess he doesn't know about Melo's history of dominance over Lebron.

knicksin60

Starter
I guess Barkley has jumped on the Lebron bandwagon and doesn't really look at the fact that Lebron has always carried his teams towards dominance throughout the regular season but folds in pressure moments during the postseason. He practically gave the Heat a free pass to go to the NBA finals and even went as far as putting Lebron James in the same class as Michael Jordan.

Barkley likes to flip flop a lot. Last year after the Heat lost the first game of the ECF to the Bulls he gave Miami no chance at beating Chicago. But now he has the Heat winning the NBA Finals. I guess he thinks that since Dallas isn't playing dominating regular season basketball and Miami is beating up on teams of lesser talent than them that nobody stands a chance of stopping them come playoff time. And I'm positively sure that if the Knicks, Bulls, Clippers or Thunder beat the Miami Heat in a seven game series that Barkley is going to heavily criticize Lebron and jump on another player and team's bandwagon.

I never took Sir Charles serious. I like him because he's not afraid to speak his mind and he always says some funny stuff..even when he doesn't mean to...Also, he is the last person on the show I look for valuable opinions from.

But he is kinda right about the knicks, they are deep, they just have to be played to their potential.

petescud

Starter
But he is kinda right about the knicks, they are deep, they just have to be played to their potential.

This is the part the coaching staff has to be accountable for. I think our coaches are doing a decent job with the circumstances. Injury, new players trying to gel, getting guys to buy into defense etc. I think we can make serious noise if we buy into defense first. The biggest difference i see in this years Heat team from last is them buying into their coaches game plan and them picking up the defense a few more notches.

I almost don't believe this, I'm so used to him bashing the Knicks and never having anything good to say about them. Maybe he jumped on the Lin bandwagon.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Everyone acts like Barkley is the only one that bashed the Knicks. Let's not forget, the Knicks had how many 20-30 win seasons? For years, the Knicks didn't have a guarantee win. You know, for years fans couldn't say something like "the Knicks are playing the Wizards, yeah, we got that."

I don't think the Knicks hit their potential yet. To me, Melo is a top 10, but he hasn't played like one this year. I would like to see Melo average 4-6 dimes a game