Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Melo takes shots at Dantoni

  1. #1
    Member CoolRunnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, Bay Ridge NY
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Melo takes shots at Dantoni

    At all-star weekend Melo was quoted as saying:

    "The way that they prepared for our team, for our game, that's something that I would like to take and bring that back to my team," Anthony said after playing in Sunday night's All-Star Game. "Just the preparation that they put into the situation that it worked out."


    Read More: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Now I'm not saying he directly is taking a shot at the coach but many sport writers believe so. Some are saying how can a head coach in the league admit that he will be in charge of the offense and this new guy will take care of the defense.

  2. #2
    Veteran quiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Melo never support Dantoni especially after they got swept last postseason, he just gave some fake endorsement not to have the media start a forest fire. Melo is one of those uncoachable athletes god forbid he ever becomes a head coach one day.

  3. #3
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Oh ok hes talking about the Heat game...I thought at first he was maybe talking about the Western All Stars

    I dont really look at this as taking a shot at Antoni, I mean people can interpret it however they wanna but I believe that Carmelo is speaking the truth. From what I've seen, there have been many teams that the Knicks didnt appear to prepared for. Its one of Antoni's weaknesses in his philosophy...

    Basically, MDA likes to the players do what they feel they do best. This has its pluses and minuses. But if your the coach, u cant just let the players completely govern themselves...it has to be more like a democracy, where Dantoni is the president. Some coaches like to control everything like a Larry Brown type and I dont think thats the best philosophy either. Mike A's gotta come up with some kind of strategy for slowing down other players, he needs to be the chemistry guy that brings all the players together in the locker room. You cant just entirely rely on the leaders of the team; Lin n Melo.

  4. #4
    Member BachaCho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    283
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Oh ok hes talking about the Heat game...I thought at first he was maybe talking about the Western All Stars

    I dont really look at this as taking a shot at Antoni, I mean people can interpret it however they wanna but I believe that Carmelo is speaking the truth. From what I've seen, there have been many teams that the Knicks didnt appear to prepared for. Its one of Antoni's weaknesses in his philosophy...

    Basically, MDA likes to the players do what they feel they do best. This has its pluses and minuses. But if your the coach, u cant just let the players completely govern themselves...it has to be more like a democracy, where Dantoni is the president. Some coaches like to control everything like a Larry Brown type and I dont think thats the best philosophy either. Mike A's gotta come up with some kind of strategy for slowing down other players, he needs to be the chemistry guy that brings all the players together in the locker room. You cant just entirely rely on the leaders of the team; Lin n Melo.
    Exactly... D antoni needs to be more vocal, inspirational and on their asses

  5. #5
    Member CoolRunnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, Bay Ridge NY
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by quiggle
    Melo never support Dantoni especially after they got swept last postseason, he just gave some fake endorsement not to have the media start a forest fire. Melo is one of those uncoachable athletes god forbid he ever becomes a head coach one day.
    I have to disagree about him being uncoachable. Don't listen to what George Karl has said about him. He's just bitter that Melo left and caused that situation.

    Melo has won a national title with Coach Boeheim and a gold medal with Coach Krzyewski who had Dantoni as an assistant. Both those coaches would not stand for a player who was uncoachable.

  6. #6
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Well I don't think he was taking a direct shot at Antoni but that comment basically tells all you need to know about how the coaching staff prepares... or doesn't prepare.

    I've heard STAT in post game interviews say that guys need to follow the gameplan set before games. He said this on two occassions and it confuses me because if that was the case then why couldn't it be corrected during a timeout or at least during halftime?

    Honestly, I think we have one of the weakest coaching staffs. Dan Dantoni, Phil Weber and Herb Williams are crap. Dan is probably the worst since he's just hitching a ride via his bro. This team is too talented to not be better on a consistent basis.

  7. #7
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally Posted by CoolRunnings
    I have to disagree about him being uncoachable. Don't listen to what George Karl has said about him. He's just bitter that Melo left and caused that situation.

    Melo has won a national title with Coach Boeheim and a gold medal with Coach Krzyewski who had Dantoni as an assistant. Both those coaches would not stand for a player who was uncoachable.
    Reminds me of when Melo said "When the grass is cut the snakes will show"

    Its safe to say Carmelo has accomplished more in his career then George Karl.

    Melo's always got the slick subliminals...I remember shortly after Amare signed his deal with the Knicks Carmelo said "Only thing worse than a coward, is a coward with power." I guess he knew Stats game would completely fall off, I guess he came to NY for other reasons besides playing with Amarne

  8. #8
    Veteran quiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by CoolRunnings
    I have to disagree about him being uncoachable. Don't listen to what George Karl has said about him. He's just bitter that Melo left and caused that situation.

    Melo has won a national title with Coach Boeheim and a gold medal with Coach Krzyewski who had Dantoni as an assistant. Both those coaches would not stand for a player who was uncoachable.
    yeah but the olympics cant really gauge due to the shortness of the event and other stars like Kobe and Wade overshadow whatever hed bring to the team. also if George Karl was the size of Jerry Sloan and Melo might have did a D-Wil on him.

  9. #9
    ★KNICKS-TAPE★ NYk_Reloaded718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queenz, NY
    Posts
    3,317
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Not exactly a shot at Dantoni, more of a Wake Up call to the coaching staff as a whole. It's kind of unfair to target Dantoni personally, Dantoni is the head coach but he's not the only person in the coaching staff. Mike woodson can take the blame just as much as anyone else.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I love how it immediately becomes about D'Antoni. Nobody thinks maybe he's taking a shot at the Heat. The Knicks' only focus from now til the postseason should be how to play together. The Heat were preparing specifically to play us. It was clear how badly they wanted to win that one game. Lin can't really focus on any single team because every one is showing him a different look at this point. Next time we see them I'm sure the guys will be much more comfortable with each other and can turn their focus toward stopping Wade.

  11. #11
    Veteran quiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    this if kind of off topic but with Dantoni known for pringles, and Lin saving his job how come Pringles hasnt jumped on the bandwagon yet like Ben and Jerries and made a flavor called Lingles?

  12. #12
    Superstar NYCLakerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    The East was being coach by Thibbs who may be one of the toughest most disciplined coaches around right now, while MDA is soft and his style is completely undisciplined so I'm surprised Melo picked up on that difference and we like to see a little bit of that in NY.

  13. #13
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    The East was being coach by Thibbs who may be one of the toughest most disciplined coaches around right now, while MDA is soft and his style is completely undisciplined so I'm surprised Melo picked up on that difference and we like to see a little bit of that in NY.
    Well said, as much as, i don't like antoni, if you(as a player) can't get up to play the HEAT, i can see why we lose to teams like the CAVS, NETS, HORNETS, etc.Those teams, ok, the coach might have to remind you to play hard every now and then, but this is the HEAT buddy,C'mon man.

  14. #14
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by fender0577
    Well said, as much as, i don't like antoni, if you(as a player) can't get up to play the HEAT, i can see why we lose to teams like the CAVS, NETS, HORNETS, etc.Those teams, ok, the coach might have to remind you to play hard every now and then, but this is the HEAT buddy,C'mon man.
    It wasn't about the team not getting up to play the HEAT. They were playing hard but Lin wasn't prepared for the firestorm he recieved on defense. That threw everything off and Antoni clearly didn't have enough trust in Davis.

  15. #15
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Well I don't think he was taking a direct shot at Antoni but that comment basically tells all you need to know about how the coaching staff prepares... or doesn't prepare.

    I've heard STAT in post game interviews say that guys need to follow the gameplan set before games. He said this on two occassions and it confuses me because if that was the case then why couldn't it be corrected during a timeout or at least during halftime?

    Honestly, I think we have one of the weakest coaching staffs. Dan Dantoni, Phil Weber and Herb Williams are crap. Dan is probably the worst since he's just hitching a ride via his bro. This team is too talented to not be better on a consistent basis.
    If I'm not mistaken I think his brother has a pretty impressive resume. He might be a better fit than Mike.

    But the question I have is this:

    How can anyone including STAT expect to game plan specific when they don't practice?

    That to me is what Melo is harping on. The fact that we as a team haven't put in the work to...

    -develop chemistry
    -establish leadership
    -implement team specific game plans and get things down pat

    Mike's laissez faire approach although said to give players down-time and a break actually negates the advantage we potentially could have. The wing it approach will only take you so far no matter who plays.

    Further, this is evidenced during the times of despair; buckets needed, close-out needed, counter attacking a teams approach to us (See Lin vs MIA).

    No practice means nothing to fall back on in those tough tmes. We all see it. No contingency, no answer. And I hate to say but I recall better coaches who matched other coaches move for move with a bag full of tricks, not us though.

    Inconsistency is turning me off. Too many ups and downs with this dude. After this week of practice, I expect consistent positive results, he's not out of the woods yet.

Similar Threads

  1. D'antoni Accepts Offer to Coach Knicks
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Jan 26, 2012, 16:27
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 10, 2011, 12:26
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: Jun 09, 2011, 07:06
  4. Enough Dantoni Bashing? Wel... Is it the Melo???
    By YungMelo15 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar 17, 2011, 10:35
  5. Douglas making point to D'Antoni
    By DaTPRiNCE in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 04, 2009, 06:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •