Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Landry Fields is not a starter.

I don't mind if Fields starts, nor Shump. JR Smith should not start we need him in the second unit to provide scoring. Baron and Smith have a nice rappor going already too.

The way I see it, it's quite nice as Shump and Fields are both still young, game to game you can play one or the other more depending how they each perform out of the gate. Fields was having a bit of an off night so Shump picked up the most of the minutes second half and provided great cover. I'm sure the opposite will happen at some point since Shumpert will not play great every single game, he's too young and his consistency isn't there yet.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by metrocard
    I'm not disagreeing with you, lol. Philly has no cap space tho, no true backup at PF, a rookie center filling in for their breakout 4th year center, 2 SGs eating up $18M in cap space, their former #2 overall pick averaging 23 mins, 8 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists, and a 32 year old PF with 2 years of at least $17M left.

As good as Iggy is, his long term value to the team is a trade piece to do something about their front line, while they let Turner, Young, Holliday, and Williams, take over the back court and the wings.

At some point, they're pulling the trigger on a deal. I don't see them trading Turner or any of their other cheap talent who's rights they control. Iggy is it. Despite how underrated he is, or his sick highlights.

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    But i would package Fields/Td/Jerome/walker for kevin martin and see if the rockets bite the bait, which they probably wouldn't
    Kevin Martin is a great shooter but he plays matador defense. No, thank you.

Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    Kevin Martin is a great shooter but he plays matador defense. No, thank you.
    i guess you dont remember Fields & dougie getting torched by ray allen. Fields defense has improved slightly but he's not locking anybody down. He's a SF running through screens trying to keep up with SG's. Fields cant shoot and has SO-SO defense. He's good for rebounding and slashing thats about it. i rather have a knock down shooter playing the wing. When that zone hits our offense Fields is a lost puppy. He (Fields) is aiming his shot and looks rather uncomfortable shooting.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Feb 29, 2012 at 22:47.

i guess you dont remember Fields & dougie getting torched by ray allen. Fields defense has improved slightly but he's not locking anybody down. He's a SF running through screens trying to keep up with SG's. Fields cant shoot and has SO-SO defense. He's good for rebounding and slashing thats about it. i rather have a knock down shooter playing the wing. When that zone hits our offense Fields is a lost puppy. He (Fields) is aiming his shot and looks rather uncomfortable shooting.
    Kevin Martin would be a huge upgrade over Fields on the offensive end but do we really need that extra offense Martin can bring to the table. Lest we forget, Melo and Stat are our primary options on offense. We really don't need additional firepower. We already got JR and Novak.

Kevin Martin would be a huge upgrade over Fields on the offensive end but do we really need that extra offense Martin can bring to the table. Lest we forget, Melo and Stat are our primary & quaternary options on offense. We really don't need additional firepower. We already got JR and Novak.
    Fixed it for you.

12th man

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I'm not disagreeing with you, lol. Philly has no cap space tho, no true backup at PF, a rookie center filling in for their breakout 4th year center, 2 SGs eating up $18M in cap space, their former #2 overall pick averaging 23 mins, 8 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists, and a 32 year old PF with 2 years of at least $17M left.

How does a 30 year old unathletic PF who plays no defense and is a weak rebounder help Philly in an area of CAP SPACE? Amare has one of the worst contracts in the NBA, he's about to become the next Rashard Lewis.

Philly has an identity and are a playoff team...I think they're happy with their core players, the whole thing about having no cap space doesn't bother team, that only matters to non playoff teams. Philly right is 4th in the East, doesn't make sense to trade their best player for Amare.

Giving the 76ers Amare would be like giving them a much higher paid version of Fields thats softer on the boards. Only MJ would go for that type of deal

Superstar

Ok here is the thing

JR Smith > Fields. Imo its not even close

With that said. Fields should be starting over him, given our roster. Why? Because having Carmelo and JR Smith, with the addition of Amar'e, Lin and Chandler, there is no way to maximize that teams talent. Putting all of your best players on the floor at the same time isn't always the best strategy

Having smith come off the bench we can better keep a consistent flow of offense going. Where as starting him would be overkill and would significantly weaken our second unit.

Fields does brick open jump shots but the thing is, is that he only takes shots when he is completely open. Or he drives and most of the time gets some points out of it or he makes a smart pass. He moves the ball and better compliments our starters better than smith would. Smith while very talented would be taking shots away from other players who should be getting them, while at the same time, all the other players would be taking shots away from him.

With him coming off the bench, he will get more shots, score more points, and better serve our team. Fields isn't bad. When he isn't playing well he at least plays decent D and moving the ball.

How does a 30 year old unathletic PF who plays no defense and is a weak rebounder help Philly in an area of CAP SPACE? Amare has one of the worst contracts in the NBA, he's about to become the next Rashard Lewis.

Philly has an identity and are a playoff team...I think they're happy with their core players, the whole thing about having no cap space doesn't bother team, that only matters to non playoff teams. Philly right is 4th in the East, doesn't make sense to trade their best player for Amare.
    #1. I'm basing this off of their inquires about Amar'e as recently as January of this year.

#2. They are a "playoff" team, that has been fading since the absence of Spencer Hawes.

#3. They don't really have a way to add depth to their team if they're up against the cap, and are heavy in the back court and wings.

#4. Elton Brand is old as ****, looks old as ****, and isn't giving them 20 & 10, but making $17M.

#5. If they acquire a PF in a trade, they can amnesty Brand... is that PF Amare? I wouldn't make that move....but once more they're the ones who asked the Knicks about his availability, whether that's just "due diligence" or a sign of real interest....they asked, so let's answer.

#6. I don't doubt that some front offices get a hard on for being "a playoff team" with no hopes of improving by either free agency or draft, but the smarter ones ask "how can we be even better?" Whether or not ownership open up the wallet to do so is the question. But one more time: Philly asked the Knicks, so what's the downside of selling them on the idea?

#7. Iggy is their best player sitting at 12, 6, and 5, with great defense and tremendous leadership. I'm willing to bet anything that Doug Collins, Rod Thorn, and team ownership hopes that their 2nd over all pick last year, will grow into that role since he's pulling $4.9M, $5.2M, $6.6M, and a qualifying year of $8.7M....while they also pay Iggy, $13M, $14M, and $15M at the same time.

I'm not debating whether it would be a mistake on their part to trade dude, I'm just saying based on their trying to move him in the past, and then asking around about PFs...I don't see why A) they wouldn't eventually pull the trigger on a deal; or B) why the Knicks FO can't look into it.

It's possible they even move Turner (which makes no sense, because he's young, cheap talent) but from a FO standpoint, owning 2 SGs a combined $18M, then $19M, then $21M while you have no front court depth, an aging PF with multiple years left, and an amnesty clause...and do nothing about it....are you really trying to win?

12th man

Uno. Rumors are rumors, you're not in the Philly front office, so its best to say you really don't know you. You just heard the gossip.

Dos. Of course they'll fade, they lost their starting center. Denver's fading, guess who they lost; Gallo. Injuries happen, does that mean Philly is going to fade out the playoffs? Nope, they're still a tough ass team to handle.
    I hope you know they have the best defense in the NBA, they only allow 87 points a game. You're looking at one of the most banged up teams in the league, but when 100%, this an elite East squad. They're not trading their identity away, doesn't make sense when they have a good team. Guess who's 3rd in the NBA in Point Differential? Philly. at 6.8 These are the facts, am I right?

Tres. Philly doesn't need depth, they have the most efficient bench in the NBA and their bench is a big reason why they've been so successful. Why would you make a post about a team when you clearly don't know anything about the team besides a rumor in Jan? You've digged yourself deep into a pile of **** here now.

Cuatro. Elton Brand is 3 years older than Amare, so you may be on over exaggeration mode here.

EB is a little more valuable to Philly than you think.

On DEFENSE this guy is doing work.

Stats I got from ESPN

Fewest Points Per Play Post-up Defense This Season

Elton Brand 0.54
    Brendan Haywood 0.55
    Marc Gasol 0.58
    >> Min. 50 plays

If you don't understand that, it means Brand is the best post defender in the NBA right now. Opponents are shooting .415 against Philly. Brand is averaging 1.5 blocks and a 1 steal in 27 minutes a game. He's played A+ level defense all year. EB has lost his speed but he didn't lose any of his smarts on the defensive end. Just watch the defensive clinic he put on Dwight Howard.

Cinco. What? You don't know. Its a rumor.

Seis. Philly has been of the best teams in the NBA, they're also one of the youngest, their players will most likely progress(young guys with good work ethic and dedicated to defense and team ball). They have a first round pick in 2012, which means they'll get younger and better.

Siete. ET is a terrible fit with the team's personnel and offensive system. ET will be traded before AI. ET is like a mini Penny Hardaway. He's a talented player no doubt. Players like Turner tend to develop more slowly, as was true at the college level. He isn't a true PG, SG or SF, but has some skills at each. Iono man, If I was Philly I would keep what I got. Its been working so far. If they need to trade AI for a franchise player like DH12 or Pau, then that makes sense. But Amare isn't that player.

Veteran

I dont know why Fields getting so many minutes. He brings some intangibles but when he's off half the time he's really bad.

Iman and Earl need to play more because of defense, better handles and passing.

Lin and Fields can't play together unless Landry is the 3.

Landry is a 3, not a 2.

Melo is our 3, which means Fields has to be on the bench.

Metro....I dont like this thread b/c of where it has lead to....trade-talk and nothing worthy on what Fields has brang to the Knicks.

Rookie Landry Fields seen an oportunity to play in the NBA as a SG, so he grabbed it by steady working on his SG skills after his rookie summer league games. Rookie Fields were bright enough to notice the Knicks were loaded with SF in W.Chandler, Gallo, and AR.

The Knicks roster have 4 players that can perform at the SG spot in Douglas, Shump, JR Smith, and Fields.

The Knicks just recently signed a decent NBA veteran SG in "JR Smith" who veteran experience has prove he can be reliable for a decent performance for 24+ minutes per-game.

For this thread to say, "JR Smith should be starting over Landry Fields at SG" would be well put with no arguement b/c Landry Fields is a 2nd season player who define his performance to that of a G/F in the NBA.
    What u left out is the majority of Landry Fields Knicks teammates feel more comfortable with a complimentary player like Fields in their lineup as a multi-positional G/F who hustle on both ends of the court.

Shump does not have the experience, plus Shump is to eager in an open offense without any system/or design plan to be put in the starting lineup....
    Shump is a decent 22 minute playingtime SG in his rookie season.

Kevin Martin would be a huge upgrade over Fields on the offensive end but do we really need that extra offense Martin can bring to the table. Lest we forget, Melo and Stat are our primary options on offense. We really don't need additional firepower. We already got JR and Novak.
    lol dude who's Stat? our offense in the starting lineup is Lin, Carmelo, and chandler lol, Stat is just there...standing tall and not so talented, wake me up when he hits 2 jumpers in a row. Stat is a ghost on offense lol. I wouldn't mind taking Kevin Martins little boost on offense at all, its better than watching stat chuck up bricks & slap his fist when he doesn't get a call he wants.

Veteran

we needed Keven Martin Last year instead of the Melo trade.
    plus Keven Martin wants to many minutes which leave him aghausted in the 4th quarter. I am happy with JR Smith, Shump, and Fields.

u shouldnt be so mean on 2nd season-Landry Fields....because when the Zone hit our offense all Knicks players & headcoach is lost....before & after Lin-Sanity came on board. We need a 3-guard offense for a zone in Dantoni's wide open offense. u are right about Fields being a F/G....who hustle at multi-position on both sides of the court. Your knock-down shooter playing the wing is Melo/Novak/Smith/and lol Jorts
    Last edited by Kiyaman; Mar 01, 2012 at 19:44.