Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Landry Fields is not a starter.

  1. #31
    Member CoolRunnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, Bay Ridge NY
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Kevin Martin is a great player on terrible teams. We don't need him. Do you guys remember a man named Jamal Crawford, or when we thought Tracy Mcgrady was our savior.

    Fields starts becasue he knows his role. Doesn't demand the ball and scores off of it. JR and Shump are great for the second unit. We don't need more fire power to the starting lineup with Melo, Amarknee, and Lin.

  2. #32
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I think that Fields should be starting not because he's superior to JR or Shump, but because they are better suited for the bench at the moment.

    Shump is a high-energy guy, still prone to mistakes and better off when he's not asked to do too much. JR Smith may be as good a defender as Fields, and certainly has a much better outside shot. But JR's instincts are plainly to shoot first, ask questions later, whereas Fields is continually moving the ball and only shooting when he's got a clear path. And we need JR's offense more with the second unit.

    None of this is meant to say that Fields should get more minutes in the entire game. In fact, I think that Shump's defense will often warrant that he be the guy finishing the game and playing the crunch minutes.

  3. #33
    Newbie atikiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Fields is NYK version of PHX Marion. Someone DAntoni doesn't have to draw up plays for, will hustle for rebounds, extra shot opportunities, play hard defense and hustle his ass off. He doesn't need plays drawn up for him, won't complain about touches and is an important factor of the Knicks recent success.

  4. #34
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I'm kinid of on the fence with this one. The only reason I would move Folds to the bench is because I think he is a true SF. Him coming off the bench would balance things out position-wise. Don't think starting Shump would hurt the chemistry of the starting 5, plus he has improved on his shot selection.

  5. #35
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    I'm kinid of on the fence with this one. The only reason I would move Folds to the bench is because I think he is a true SF. Him coming off the bench would balance things out position-wise. Don't think starting Shump would hurt the chemistry of the starting 5, plus he has improved on his shot selection.

  6. #36
    Member LINvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If the Knicks really want to make some noise in the playoffs, they need to play Shump. Lin, Stat & Mellon are below average defenders on the court. If you throw in Fields, you got 4 out of the starting 5 players not playing very good D. It's hard enough to win in the playoffs, but to consistently start slow because of poor D and lack of energy is not an excuse.
    The Knicks have the talent and personnel to hang with 99% of the teams in this league and it's got to start with playing solid D and bringing the type of energy we saw in the 2nd half of the Cavs game.

    Start Shump.

  7. #37
    Member LINvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by atikiN
    Fields is NYK version of PHX Marion. Someone DAntoni doesn't have to draw up plays for, will hustle for rebounds, extra shot opportunities, play hard defense and hustle his ass off. He doesn't need plays drawn up for him, won't complain about touches and is an important factor of the Knicks recent success.
    Sorry, but against the top Guards in this league, he struggles.

  8. #38
    Member CoolRunnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, Bay Ridge NY
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by atikiN
    Fields is NYK version of PHX Marion. Someone DAntoni doesn't have to draw up plays for, will hustle for rebounds, extra shot opportunities, play hard defense and hustle his ass off. He doesn't need plays drawn up for him, won't complain about touches and is an important factor of the Knicks recent success.

    Well, I agree completely. Too bad I said the same exact thing a couple pages ago. In addition to what you say, Fields is in the starting lineup in order to maximize our talent. If Fields is replaced with JR/shump than the second unit with Fields becomes very flat (chucking threes). For example if you look at OKC, Harden is a great player and can be a starter on most teams but he serves better coming off the bench because he gives that extra punch to the second unit.

    A couple of years ago Manu Ginobilli was coming off the bench with same purpose. Last year, Lamar Odom had a career year and would have been a starter on other teams but served better in the second unit.

    Fields compliments the starting lineup very well. That is why he's a starter. However look for his minutes to be limited to about 25 a game from here on out.

  9. #39
    Newbie atikiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by LINvincible
    Sorry, but against the top Guards in this league, he struggles.
    Umm, wouldn't that be the reason why they're considered "top guards"? Because defenders struggle against them?

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by LINvincible
    Sorry, but against the top Guards in this league, he struggles.
    Kinda why they are the "top".

  11. #41
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Fields did pretty nicely against Kobe too. Haven't seen him doing horribly on defense this season.

    Like I said, Shump or Fields starting doesn't really matter, I like the 3 SG lineup we have where depending who is on and who's off the minutes will be adjusted.

Similar Threads

  1. Hanging In The Balance: Fields' Resurgence
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Feb 08, 2012, 19:25
  2. Landry Fields is our most important player for this series
    By The Garden '95 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr 19, 2011, 21:46
  3. The Sacrifice - Landry Fields
    By NYKing in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Mar 24, 2011, 20:05
  4. Landry Fields may be likely Center Piece of Trade
    By Oakman88 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2011, 13:07
  5. Landry Fields
    By TCR4CK in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec 18, 2010, 13:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •