Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Landry Fields is not a starter.

Kevin Martin is a great player on terrible teams. We don't need him. Do you guys remember a man named Jamal Crawford, or when we thought Tracy Mcgrady was our savior.

Fields starts becasue he knows his role. Doesn't demand the ball and scores off of it. JR and Shump are great for the second unit. We don't need more fire power to the starting lineup with Melo, Amarknee, and Lin.

I think that Fields should be starting not because he's superior to JR or Shump, but because they are better suited for the bench at the moment.

Shump is a high-energy guy, still prone to mistakes and better off when he's not asked to do too much. JR Smith may be as good a defender as Fields, and certainly has a much better outside shot. But JR's instincts are plainly to shoot first, ask questions later, whereas Fields is continually moving the ball and only shooting when he's got a clear path. And we need JR's offense more with the second unit.

None of this is meant to say that Fields should get more minutes in the entire game. In fact, I think that Shump's defense will often warrant that he be the guy finishing the game and playing the crunch minutes.

Fields is NYK version of PHX Marion. Someone DAntoni doesn't have to draw up plays for, will hustle for rebounds, extra shot opportunities, play hard defense and hustle his ass off. He doesn't need plays drawn up for him, won't complain about touches and is an important factor of the Knicks recent success.

I'm kinid of on the fence with this one. The only reason I would move Folds to the bench is because I think he is a true SF. Him coming off the bench would balance things out position-wise. Don't think starting Shump would hurt the chemistry of the starting 5, plus he has improved on his shot selection.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    I'm kinid of on the fence with this one. The only reason I would move Folds to the bench is because I think he is a true SF. Him coming off the bench would balance things out position-wise. Don't think starting Shump would hurt the chemistry of the starting 5, plus he has improved on his shot selection.

If the Knicks really want to make some noise in the playoffs, they need to play Shump. Lin, Stat & Mellon are below average defenders on the court. If you throw in Fields, you got 4 out of the starting 5 players not playing very good D. It's hard enough to win in the playoffs, but to consistently start slow because of poor D and lack of energy is not an excuse.
    The Knicks have the talent and personnel to hang with 99% of the teams in this league and it's got to start with playing solid D and bringing the type of energy we saw in the 2nd half of the Cavs game.

Start Shump.

Originally Posted by atikiN
    Fields is NYK version of PHX Marion. Someone DAntoni doesn't have to draw up plays for, will hustle for rebounds, extra shot opportunities, play hard defense and hustle his ass off. He doesn't need plays drawn up for him, won't complain about touches and is an important factor of the Knicks recent success.
    Sorry, but against the top Guards in this league, he struggles.

Originally Posted by atikiN

Well, I agree completely. Too bad I said the same exact thing a couple pages ago. In addition to what you say, Fields is in the starting lineup in order to maximize our talent. If Fields is replaced with JR/shump than the second unit with Fields becomes very flat (chucking threes). For example if you look at OKC, Harden is a great player and can be a starter on most teams but he serves better coming off the bench because he gives that extra punch to the second unit.

A couple of years ago Manu Ginobilli was coming off the bench with same purpose. Last year, Lamar Odom had a career year and would have been a starter on other teams but served better in the second unit.

Fields compliments the starting lineup very well. That is why he's a starter. However look for his minutes to be limited to about 25 a game from here on out.

Originally Posted by LINvincible
    Umm, wouldn't that be the reason why they're considered "top guards"? Because defenders struggle against them?

Originally Posted by LINvincible
    Kinda why they are the "top".

Fields did pretty nicely against Kobe too. Haven't seen him doing horribly on defense this season.

Like I said, Shump or Fields starting doesn't really matter, I like the 3 SG lineup we have where depending who is on and who's off the minutes will be adjusted.