Baron and Lin sharing backcourt?

portega1968

El Cacique
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/antoni_experiments_with_davis_and_kl2K5nSFRNBuk7o0opnBCI

Berman blogged the following:

Mike D’Antoni’s experimenting continued at today’s scrimmage that was highlighted by point guards Jeremy Lin and Baron Davis in the backcourt together. The Knicks are amid a quasi-training camp as they staged their fourth practice this week – Monday’s being “voluntary.’’

D’Antoni said it was something he wanted to look at in practice and could see using in a game. Davis, who's coming off a terrific performance vs. Cleveland off the bench, said they played a couple of minutes together vs. Atlanta. The Knicks have one more practice tomorrow before facing the Celtics in Boston Sunday.

Perhaps D’Antoni wants to see an alternative look to get Lin on the court with the burgeoning second unit or Davis on the court with the first unit. Landry Fields, the starting SG, is coming off a poor game Wednesday vs. Cleveland.

“It would be fun, I’d love to play minutes out there with Jeremy,’’ said Davis, who could threaten Lin’s starting job when he starts gaining more minutes in April. “We’re both comfortable with each other on the floor. He’s a great player who makes plays and I make plays. It just makes it easier for both of us, two playmakers. You put Melo in there and Landry and you got two guys who can make plays off the dribble.’’

Lin said it was a good change. “Playing off the ball a little bit, sort of what I played in college,’’ Lin said. “I’m comfortable doing it and don’t have all the ballhandling responsibilities.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a thought I had in my mind the past couple of games. Not as a starting unit, but quite curious to see how these two playmakers together could be a nightmare for opposing guards to defend. Especially when BDiddy is at 100% and playing the 2. Can't wait to see it in action.

On the other hand, Berman is such an asshole.. he's the only frikin beat reporter trolling with the idea that Davis could replace Lin in the starting unit. That just aint happening. Worst beat reporter ever!!!

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
@ Portega, come playoff time if your the head coach and have a 100% healthy championship hungry Baron Davis would you put Baron in the starting lineup, and have Lin come off the bench.

Or

Would you throw Lin in the lions den and continue to start him with such a hasty playoff atmosphere & high expectations. Im not sure if Lin would be ready for the type of pressure he's never been in the playoffs.

Me personally i would put Baron in the starting Lineup for the first 1st game or 2 in the series, because all the players in our starting lineup have been in the playoffs before as well as baron and they know what to expect from the Jump start in the playoffs. I would have Lin come off the bench and get his feet wet (no homo) and let him settle in and get used to what to expect so he can get the jitters out. Then probably let him start the rest of the series.

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
Boom Dizzle + JLin starting 1-2 guards. I like it. Trap one and the other breaks some ankles.

Dizzle, Lin, Anthony, Amare, Chandler

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Boom Dizzle + JLin starting 1-2 guards. I like it. Trap one and the other breaks some ankles.

Dizzle, Lin, Anthony, Amare, Chandler
Who's our PG coming off the bench if Lin & Baron both start? shumpert? i dont think it would work out to well. Rather have a real PG coming off the bench.

KingCharles34

All Star
Id rather see Baron get a little more time at the backup PG spot as he continues to get healthier, but I think JR Smith and Shumpert should split the minutes at the 2 guard position. Fields, if hes gonna play hes gotta back up Melo even though Id rather see Novak get those minutes. Novak can back up Stat and Jeffries backs up Chandler. Thats the way it should be, and Harrelson should get some minutes too.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Id rather see Baron get a little more time at the backup PG spot as he continues to get healthier, but I think JR Smith and Shumpert should split the minutes at the 2 guard position. Fields, if hes gonna play hes gotta back up Melo even though Id rather see Novak get those minutes. Novak can back up Stat and Jeffries backs up Chandler. Thats the way it should be, and Harrelson should get some minutes too.

Whats good bro? Thats some wishful thinking right there. Let me know if I got this right

Lin/Baron
JR/Shump
Melo/Fields <-------That lineup and rotation is ill.
Stat/Novak
Tyson/Jefferies

I want to see jorts play too but I just don't see where he fits in. Running a 10 man rotation is tough enough, so naturally 11 is harder.

atikiN

Rookie
Whats good bro? Thats some wishful thinking right there. Let me know if I got this right

Lin/Baron
Shump/JR
Stat/Novak
Tyson/Jefferies

I want to see jorts play too but I just don't see where he fits in. Running a 10 man rotation is tough enough, so naturally 11 is harder.
FTFY

And if Amare continues to decline, Novak can share those minutes with Jorts.

"Perhaps D’Antoni wants to see an alternative look to get Lin on the court with the burgeoning second unit or Davis on the court with the first unit. Landry Fields, the starting SG, is coming off a poor game Wednesday vs. Cleveland."

Hello, I haven't been watching basketball since MJ who made the NBA what it is today. Now that Jeremy Lin captured my interest in basketball again and all those around the world, he shouldn't have to go back to being in the second unit. Why? If it weren't for Lin, you all know why...D'antoni's job would be in question, the Knicks team would be well out of the playoff, and the players would never play as a cohesive unit. This is a fact. Even though Lin would humbly say he don’t mind coming off the bench, we all know he wants to start. If this is the case, I don’t see him with the Knicks in the years to come. Also, I want to add..If Lin continue to attack the basket and play his game..everyone prosper. I see that competitive hunger in Lin's eyes similar to MJ to me..is a winner. And if the Knicks want to make it deep in the playoffs. Lin has to have that confidence and the eye of the tiger.

Last edited:

Eman

Benchwarmer
Keeping both as PGs (one coming off the bench) is probably the best fit. The Clippers had a good thing going earlier this season with Billups as Shooting Guard and Paul as PG, but they also had Mo Williams coming off the bench to back up Paul.

Wargames

Starter
Its a good tactic. If used in spurts it can negate opposing teams ability to interrupt passing and would takr away their abilty to trap. its an offense based strategy

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Baron makes our second unit a starting caliber team. Since Baron is a better passer than Lin, I'd love Amar'e to come off the bench and try that out.

I don't like them sharing the backcourt, unless maybe them closing the game. It's not a BAD idea, since Lin penetrates like a monster and scores a lot, but I think it's much better to have two starting guards in both units. I'm looking forward to Baron getting more minutes.

smokes

Huge Member
Baron makes our second unit a starting caliber team. Since Baron is a better passer than Lin, I'd love Amar'e to come off the bench and try that out.

I don't like them sharing the backcourt, unless maybe them closing the game. It's not a BAD idea, since Lin penetrates like a monster and scores a lot, but I think it's much better to have two starting guards in both units. I'm looking forward to Baron getting more minutes.

I think Shumperts D is real important to close games. With Lin/Melo possibly Amare and Chandler somewhat, you have a decent amount of clutch scoring.

metrocard

Legend

Lin/Baron
JR/Shump
Stat/Novak
Tyson/Jefferies

You know what your talking about

portega1968

El Cacique
Its a good tactic. If used in spurts it can negate opposing teams ability to interrupt passing and would takr away their abilty to trap. its an offense based strategy

You hit the nail on the head bro.

This would be the way to counter Miami trapping Lin in midcourt... Im certain thats Dantonis motive for practicing this. BD will continue backing up Lin, but BD will come in next to him when suckaz do that midcourt trap again.

@almost famous: i would stick with Lin... He has shown his balls of steel in crunch time

Kiyaman

Legend
@ Portega, come playoff time if your the head coach and have a 100% healthy championship hungry Baron Davis would you put Baron in the starting lineup, and have Lin come off the bench.

Or

Would you throw Lin in the lions den and continue to start him with such a hasty playoff atmosphere & high expectations. Im not sure if Lin would be ready for the type of pressure he's never been in the playoffs.

Me personally i would put Baron in the starting Lineup for the first 1st game or 2 in the series, because all the players in our starting lineup have been in the playoffs before as well as baron and they know what to expect from the Jump start in the playoffs. I would have Lin come off the bench and get his feet wet (no homo) and let him settle in and get used to what to expect so he can get the jitters out. Then probably let him start the rest of the series.

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

As much as I admitt Lin-Sanity EARNED a 6 year contract as the starting PG on the Knicks....the 2nd half of this season Baron Davis & JR Smith should start a few games as a strategy-changer, to let an ENERGY Lin & Fields come off the bench to speed up the transition of the game.

Miami was able to lock-down Lin b/c Dantoni was to stuborn to run a 3-guard offense (having Shump out with injury) using a no practice JR Smith to replace Shump, plus adding Davis who havnt been on the court since lastseason. The DNP on Toney Douglas shouldve been lifted so TD couldve put defensive pressure on Charmers & Wade in a 3-guard offense.
Losing is one thing, but not having a GAME-PLAN is an entire different story.

mfgillia

Rookie

Your either weighting the turnovers heavily or assuming Lin's assists will start to tank. Currently, Lin's passing is at worst on par with Baron's. Lin averaged 8.4 assists a game in February. Baron hasn't had a year better than those numbers in 6 years.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Your either weighting the turnovers heavily or assuming Lin's assists will start to tank. Currently, Lin's passing is at worst on par with Baron's. Lin averaged 8.4 assists a game in February. Baron hasn't had a year better than those numbers in 6 years.
Those are just stats. Baron as of now is a better passer. I'm not counting Lin's turnovers. Lin might be a better scorer than Davis now, he's not a better passer. Baron started to show it on Wednesday.

mfgillia

Rookie
Those are just stats. Baron as of now is a better passer. I'm not counting Lin's turnovers. Lin might be a better scorer than Davis now, he's not a better passer. Baron started to show it on Wednesday.

Baron is a good passer no doubt. However, its a bit hard to say based on Wednesday's game alone in which Lin got 13 assists and one turnover that Baron showed he's the definitive better passer. Time will tell though...