Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Melo needs the ball more...and iso.

Superstar

Originally Posted by CA7
    as physical as that game was you gotta see him missing more than he makes...
    Problem is he's been doing this throughout the season, not just against Boston. Had he performed like the Anthony of seasons gone by during this season, I would have no issues with him taking it upon himself to win us this game, but the truth is he hasn't resembled last year's Anthony in any way this season. He's taking more or less the same amount of shots, but scoring far less. Of course there are many factors to take into consideration regarding this loss, but the second someone decides to take the team's offensive destiny into his hands, he needs to be held accountable for this decision.
    Last edited by TakMan; Mar 05, 2012 at 05:34.

Originally Posted by TakMan
    Problem is he's been doing this throughout the season, not just against Boston. Had he performed like the Anthony of seasons gone by during this season, I would have no issues with him taking it upon himself to win us this game, but the truth is he hasn't resembled last year's Anthony in any way this season. He's shooting the same, scoring far less. Of course there are many factors to take into consideration regarding this loss, but the second someone decides to take the team's offensive destiny into his hands, he needs to be held accountable for this decision.
    but he's also been asked to run the team and score all season he's also played injured and then was asked to be a role player now they want him to take over LMAO, thats a big problem, regardless I wont accept 8/21 every night like he has been BUT if its in a physical game and we have no choice then so be it, he also went 9/10 from the line AND only took 1 3-pointer so I'm not upset with his performance

Superstar

Originally Posted by CA7
    he lost us the game are you serious bro

did you not watch and see all the blown calls and poor coaching by C'ANToni
    LOL, C'ANToni, I like that one, can i borrow it?

Lol @ people trying to equate playing the point, and being asked to score 25 to ball hogging. Yea...ask a pure scorer to switch up his game, and magically see the court through the eyes of a lead guard when he's a 6'8'' wing, who's only played that position in his entire collegiate and NBA career.

Ball hogging means you have no business with the ball in your hands, but yet you do. When your coach says "please have the ball in your hands, and run the show" and when the dude tries, but keeps reverting back to old habits, while averaging the most assists per game than he has at any other point in his career...I see a man playing out of position, looking like a fish out of water, while doing a poor job of accomplishing the task his coach gave him.

Carmelo Isoing is one of the most dangerous occurrences that can happen in a basketball game. There's a reason why he was voted by his peers as the hardest cover in the league. He just can't be the one killing his dribble to iso, pivot, and then shoot. When he's given the ball with an unused dribble, in Iso....good luck.

Superstar

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Lol @ people trying to equate playing the point, and being asked to score 25 to ball hogging. Yea...ask a pure scorer to switch up his game, and magically see the court through the eyes of a lead guard when he's a 6'8'' wing, who's only played that position in his entire collegiate and NBA career.

Ball hogging means you have no business with the ball in your hands, but yet you do. When your coach says "please have the ball in your hands, and run the show" and when the dude tries, but keeps reverting back to old habits, while averaging the most assists per game than he has at any other point in his career...I see a man playing out of position, looking like a fish out of water, while doing a poor job of accomplishing the task his coach gave him.

Carmelo Isoing is one of the most dangerous occurrences that can happen in a basketball game. There's a reason why he was voted by his peers as the hardest cover in the league. He just can't be the one killing his dribble to iso, pivot, and then shoot. When he's given the ball with an unused dribble, in Iso....good luck.
    Melo is a beast in ISO, but i think he's still trying to fit back in, a little to much.He need to be a little more aggressive.

Superstar

Originally Posted by CA7
    but he's also been asked to run the team and score all season he's also played injured and then was asked to be a role player now they want him to take over LMAO, thats a big problem, regardless I wont accept 8/21 every night like he has been BUT if its in a physical game and we have no choice then so be it, he also went 9/10 from the line AND only took 1 3-pointer so I'm not upset with his performance
    To be fair he did quite well until overtime. I believe he was shooting 50% up until then. He only really scored through driving at the basket though, rather than making mid range shots. I'm watching Kobe play his heart out at 33 and wondering why anthony is not playing to even half of his potential at 28. He needs to sort this out, otherwise no one should be advocating him getting that many tries in a game (particularly one on the line).

Originally Posted by fender0577
    LOL, C'ANToni, I like that one, can i borrow it?
    go ahead lol, I hate that fcuker

Originally Posted by TakMan
    To be fair he did quite well until overtime. I believe he was shooting 50% up until then. He only really scored through driving at the basket though, rather than making mid range shots. I'm watching Kobe play his heart out at 33 and wondering why anthony is not playing to even half of his potential at 28. He needs to sort this out, otherwise no one should be advocating him getting that many tries in a game (particularly one on the line).
    Kobe knows he's the man, Melo not so much, Kobe can be Kobe and everyone is fine with that, Melo cant be Melo without people being angry or groaning at him playing his game

but yeah overtime no one could hit, that game was crazy physical so I understand

D'Antoni and Melo can't co-habitate.

The dude's gotta get some isolation because, frankly, he is what he is: a successful 1 on 1 player. He's had a season to forget thus far: statistical nightmare compared to other seasons. Carmelo's down in every category except assists where he is up, but that will decline with Lin and Davis' presences. But he has to be given some opportunity to play his game by design.

Melo and Mike will never fit within one another's modus operandi. EVER. It's an absolute New York conundrum.

But in the absolute favor of D'Antoni, we've seen how successful this team can be with Melo's absence, and not the other way around.

That has also been the case in Melo's presence, however, as the second unit's +/- rating exceeds that of the starting lineups'. That doesn't correlate directly to Carmelo or any other individual, but this team can play Mike's game and win/do better than the starters because they're a better fit and play defense as a unit and as individuals better than a line up with Anthony in it.

It's an absolute mess.

Melo's having a **** season, but Mike gives him nothing in the form of a play(s) that's set specifically for Carmelo to get him in rhythm, never mind to take advantage of a situational mismatch etc. That doesn't excuse the horrible shooting, missed layups, techs/ejections, and general poor attitude, however....... - that's a personal observation.

I think thus far Amar'e, D'Antoni and Carmelo can all be labelled as individuals that are underachieving (or even failing) at their positions, because they just can't figure this **** out, nor seem to find any method in which they can optimize one another's or add to the other's role(s) for the betterment of the team.

I'd love to see how they communicate together off the court, and if there's a sense of alpha presence for D'Antoni as there should be. He is the coach after all.

If this season ends in tragedy - there's no guarantee we'll make the playoffs whatsoever - Mike will be the one that gets the ass, however, and we'll see what the outcome is of that.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    D'Antoni and Melo can't co-habitate.

The dude's gotta get some isolation because, frankly, he is what he is: a successful 1 on 1 player. He's had a season to forget thus far: statistical nightmare compared to other seasons. Carmelo's down in every category except assists where he is up, but that will decline with Lin and Davis' presences. But he has to be given some opportunity to play his game by design.

Melo and Mike will never fit within one another's modus operandi. EVER. It's an absolute New York conundrum.

But in the absolute favor of D'Antoni, we've seen how successful this team can be with Melo's absence, and not the other way around.

That has also been the case in Melo's presence, however, as the second unit's +/- rating exceeds that of the starting lineups'. That doesn't correlate directly to Carmelo or any other individual, but this team can play Mike's game and win/do better than the starters because they're a better fit and play defense as a unit and as individuals better than a line up with Anthony in it.

It's an absolute mess.

Melo's having a **** season, but Mike gives him nothing in the form of a play(s) that's set specifically for Carmelo to get him in rhythm, never mind to take advantage of a situational mismatch etc. That doesn't excuse the horrible shooting, missed layups, techs/ejections, and general poor attitude, however....... - that's a personal observation.

I think thus far Amar'e, D'Antoni and Carmelo can all be labelled as individuals that are underachieving (or even failing) at their positions, because they just can't figure this **** out, nor seem to find any method in which they can optimize one another's or add to the other's role(s) for the betterment of the team.

I'd love to see how they communicate together off the court, and if there's a sense of alpha presence for D'Antoni as there should be. He is the coach after all.

If this season ends in tragedy - there's no guarantee we'll make the playoffs whatsoever - Mike will be the one that gets the ass, however, and we'll see what the outcome is of that.
    Great post, i'd like to see that to.But i don't think C'ANToni is the right coach to have 2 scorers on a team, his offense is not predicated on featuring his stars, if role players are shooting the ball anytime they feel, your stars, are going to go through long stretches, without getting up shoots, making it hard to find a rhythm.Either, C'ANToni won't change, or he can't, either way this will end bad.

Just like in the other thread about Amare getting the ball more hell yea Melo should. If the Knicks are to ever go anywhere their gonna need Melo with the ball more playing at a superstar level, him just fitting in is fine when he was coming back from an injury or whatever but down the stretch the Knicks need more iso's and need Melo down in the post he's one of the best low post players in the league.

Originally Posted by fender0577
    Great post, i'd like to see that to.But i don't think C'ANToni is the right coach to have 2 scorers on a team, his offense is not predicated on featuring his stars, if role players are shooting the ball anytime they feel, your stars, are going to go through long stretches, without getting up shoots, making it hard to find a rhythm.Either, C'ANToni won't change, or he can't, either way this will end bad.

I agree with this even when the Knicks are winning I feel the role player still get a little too much free reign. It's good to have a balanced team but your two offensive star players should still not be going long stretches without getting any touches.

As Melo's biggest supporter I will say I dont want him iso'ing a lot BUT he needs at least 5-10 a game just to keep the D honest, they dont always have to be clear outs, they can be post ups too, D'Antoni never gets Melo the ball at the block always FT Line extended

Boston new we were switching on D and ran plays to get smaller guys on Pierce and Garnett and they got easy post ups, what did we do, let Lin drive by Rondo into 3 Celtics and throw up some bull ****

As bad as Melo has played C'ANToni is not helping

A player is only as bad as a coach lets him be

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    I agree with this even when the Knicks are winning I feel the role player still get a little too much free reign. It's good to have a balanced team but your two offensive star players should still not be going long stretches without getting any touches.
    Look at the Lakers

everyone knows your main scorers are Kobe/Bynum/Gasol and everyone else just fills their role, the Lakers live off of Kobe getting 30, Gasol getting 20 and Bynum with 15

C'ANToni wants Lin to be Nash and everyone else to follow Lin's lead and honestly that **** is not gonna work

Superstar

Honestly I don't see a problem with having a team which gives added responsibility to our role players. Anthony is no Bryant, and giving him a Bryant-esque sort of role is wrong. The more players you have capable of causing problems, the better you will fare against good defensive teams. Realistically Anthony has yet to achieve much in the NBA. I think now is when he should limit his shooting sprees to games where the team is not performing as one unit, rather than potentially mess up an effective setup. We now have a team that should not depend on Anthony game in game out in order to win. He needs to adapt, take wise shots (not forced shots which essentially lost us the game in overtime) and acknowledge that there are more than capable players he can pass to on the double team. At the end of the day basketball is a team sport; not a one man show.