Who should be the Starting Shooting Guard?

Who should be the starting shooting guard?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingCharles34

All Star
I believe Antoni will finally give in and remove Fields from the starting lineup soon

Im currently undecided, Shump or Smith? :confused:

We might be better off having Shumpert start because of his defense. Theres two starters that bring close to nothing defensively. You often see their opponents have a career night against them. I dont think i need to say any names

Last edited:

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I believe Antoni will finally give in and remove Fields from the starting lineup soon

Im currently undecided, Shump or Smith? :confused:

We might be better off having Shumpert start because of his defense. Theres two starters that bring close to nothing defensively. You often see their opponents have a career night against them. I dont think i need to say any names

I do think Fields should be the back up 3 to me it justs makes so much more sense. But I'd start Shump for his defense he can slow down the opposing teams best perimeter player from the start of the game. Even though JR hasn't found his shot yet I like the spark he bring to the bench. But yea I'd have a starting backcourt of BD and Shump.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Since Shumpert is on the verge of being better than Wade soon I'm going with him. Fields might work better with B. Diddy because of the off-the-ball play/passing combination.

KingCharles34

All Star
Since Shumpert is on the verge of being better than Wade soon I'm going with him. Fields might work better with B. Diddy because of the off-the-ball play/passing combination.

Thats true, Wade is quickly slowing down. Hes another one like Amare...well Amare's a poormans version of Wade. Shumpert might have surpassed Wade in the Celtics game. Hes one of the few players that i can say played good. After Wade, Only Kobe is left for Shump to surpass. With Kobe being 33, it wont be too long. One of thems getting better while the other ones getting older

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
He is no where close to being an elite SG

An elite defender hell yea I wouldn't be surprise if he's the best perimeter defender in like a year or two but overall best SG he will never be he doesn't have the offensive game.

KingCharles34

All Star
^ This guy and all this humble stuff :lol:

Its ok fam, we waited years for a player like Shumpert. Hes like having Sprewell again but a better version. If we had Spree in the mid 90's instead of Starks we woulda beat the Bulls

Paul1355

All Star
Has to be Shumpert. He doesn't have an outside shot but Fields does not either so lets compare.

Fields has no outside shot, he can drive, pass decently on pick and roll and play above average defense.

Shumpert has no outside shot, he can drive much better than Fields, he can pass better, his defense is awesome, he is faster, he is more athletic and he is tougher.

Nod goes to Shumpert.

I would say Smith but you need Novak and Smith coming off the bench and I like the cohesion between Davis and Smith.

Fields should be the backup SF to take minutes for Melo when he gets tired.

Fields has been much better this year but Shumpert is becoming more of a factor in games, especially down the stretch with his defense.
Make Fields a role player or sixth man at best.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
If Shumpert can stop jacking up 3's early in the shot clock and consistently attack the basket than I want him to start. Another reason the argument for him to start is good is because Lin gets lit up everytime we play a good pg. Lin's on the ball defense is horrible, and Shumpert can help him out.

I hope Dantoni has Shumpert guard Lin in practice so Lin can get better playing against above average defenders.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
Both fields and Shump are inconsistent from the outside but this team more then anything needs defense.

I would love to see Shumpter starting from here on out

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Allan houston, should come out of retirement and school these young boys :smokin:

Shump though, he may be inconsistent right now but he's really improving taking it to the rim & his shot will only get better the more mins he gets.

The only concern i have with Fields being sent to the bench, is he might turn out like Douglas and lose focus and we really dont need that.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Smith is mad underrated.
What I'd like to see from Smith is attack the basket a lot. I'm not down on him missing a bunch of threes, he'll get his shooting back soon, but he's the most athletic player on the team. He can do crazy things in the paint.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
JR, so we have a starting offensive and a second defensive unit. Landry isn't even a shooting guard, so we should move him at #3 off the bench.

Lintendo, Swish, Carmelo, Amare and Tyson
Boom, Shump, Landry, Jeffries and Jorts

Novak as our special unit with limited minutes.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I voted Fields for 3 reasons:

1. He doesn't need touches but can find buckets for himself.

2. Lin plays better with Fields than anyone bar Chandler.

3. I'd like to see a full second unit of Novak, Jefferies, Shump, JR and Baron find their continuity as a second squad before there are any adulterations to a starting lineup that's yet to hit 5th gear. Jorts being the addition to that squad if we play a bigger team/bigger team's bench.

If Fields gets a mid range game, the choice would be all the easier.

wynton

Rookie
Both JR and Shumpert are better all-around players than Fields.

But I voted for Fields anyway, for a few reasons I've mentioned before.

1. As a starter, I think there's a chance that Shumpert tightens up, makes more mistakes and plays with less energy overall.

2. JR's first instinct is to shoot, which is fine with the second unit but not so great with the first unit.

3. Both JR and Shump provide valuable spark, as bench players.

4. When coming off the bench, there is a little more flexibility how Shump can be used, either at the 2 or 3.

5. If Fields is in the second unit, that group becomes a bit offense-starved.

6. Last thing this team needs is another shakeup.

7. Chemistry: Lin and Fields are buds.

On the other hand, I think that Shump should often be getting more minutes than Fields at the end of the game and in crunch time, for defensive reasons. In fact, it may well work out that Shump plays more minutes over all than Fields. But the poll simply asked who should start.

I would like to see Shump as the starting SG next year, though.

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
Watching shump in the celtics game gave me butterflys. Hes finally learning to finish and his defense is insane. Its only a matter of time before he starts getting the dwayne wade lebron treatment and not get techs for absolutely nothing, hes gonna be a scary dude when hes in his prime oh my...