View Poll Results: Who should be the starting shooting guard?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Landry Fields

5 20.00%
  • JR Smith

3 12.00%
  • Iman Shumpert

16 64.00%
  • Jeremy Lin

0 0%
  • Baron Davis

0 0%
  • Amare Softemire

1 4.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who should be the Starting Shooting Guard?

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Smith is mad underrated.
    I think most people agree Smith is the best SG on the team but we simply don't need his scoring to start games imo.

JR, so we have a starting offensive and a second defensive unit. Landry isn't even a shooting guard, so we should move him at #3 off the bench.

Lintendo, Swish, Carmelo, Amare and Tyson
    Boom, Shump, Landry, Jeffries and Jorts

Novak as our special unit with limited minutes.

I voted Fields for 3 reasons:

1. He doesn't need touches but can find buckets for himself.

2. Lin plays better with Fields than anyone bar Chandler.

3. I'd like to see a full second unit of Novak, Jefferies, Shump, JR and Baron find their continuity as a second squad before there are any adulterations to a starting lineup that's yet to hit 5th gear. Jorts being the addition to that squad if we play a bigger team/bigger team's bench.

If Fields gets a mid range game, the choice would be all the easier.

Both JR and Shumpert are better all-around players than Fields.

But I voted for Fields anyway, for a few reasons I've mentioned before.

1. As a starter, I think there's a chance that Shumpert tightens up, makes more mistakes and plays with less energy overall.

2. JR's first instinct is to shoot, which is fine with the second unit but not so great with the first unit.

3. Both JR and Shump provide valuable spark, as bench players.

4. When coming off the bench, there is a little more flexibility how Shump can be used, either at the 2 or 3.

5. If Fields is in the second unit, that group becomes a bit offense-starved.

6. Last thing this team needs is another shakeup.

7. Chemistry: Lin and Fields are buds.

On the other hand, I think that Shump should often be getting more minutes than Fields at the end of the game and in crunch time, for defensive reasons. In fact, it may well work out that Shump plays more minutes over all than Fields. But the poll simply asked who should start.

I would like to see Shump as the starting SG next year, though.

Watching shump in the celtics game gave me butterflys. Hes finally learning to finish and his defense is insane. Its only a matter of time before he starts getting the dwayne wade lebron treatment and not get techs for absolutely nothing, hes gonna be a scary dude when hes in his prime oh my...

JR Smith has more offense to offer as a SG but he simply shoots too much for the team chemistry to work. At this point, I'd settle for Shump who is work in progress and should get better over time.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    JR Smith has more offense to offer as a SG but he simply shoots too much for the team chemistry to work. At this point, I'd settle for Shump who is work in progress and should get better over time.
    Theres nothing wrong with JR Smith shooting....his jumpshot always been good..can slash and drive...one of the quickest 6"6 guys you can find in the NBA. He's more of a 3pt threat than anyone at SG....its obvious to start him, he'll take pressure off Lin.

I think Shumpert fits in better with the 1st unit and Fields looks better with the 2nd unit

Shumpert adds perimeter D and Fields will give the 2nd unit help on the boards

also

Iman Shumpert>>>>>>>Dwyane Wade

Theres nothing wrong with JR Smith shooting....his jumpshot always been good..can slash and drive...one of the quickest 6"6 guys you can find in the NBA. He's more of a 3pt threat than anyone at SG....its obvious to start him, he'll take pressure off Lin.
    I don't really agree with this I think it adds more pressure to Lin in the starting lineup. Lin already has to worry about feeding Melo and Amare I think thats one of the main reason he looks so tentative to start games adding Smith to the starting lineup just takes more away from his game and makes him think theres another guy I have to constantly make sure gets touches.

Plus JR brings a nice spark off the bench

I'd rather have Shump and Davis as the starting back court

I voted for Shump, but after reading the posts on here and thinking about it some more I think I'd keep it the way it is. The second unit is straight balling right now. No need to mess with it. They can always play Fields less minutes when Shumps defensive skills or JR's shooting skills are needed...

Fields and only Fields.

I wouldn't be against starting JR Smith over Fields who shouldn't be in the starting lineup. Over the past few games, I have been quite impressed by JR Smith's defense. He can get physical with bigger guys and contain them reasonably well.

But my vote still goes to Shump who should only improve with more playing time. He is a great one-on-one defender and has the ability to go to the hole hard. With him running on the wing, Lin will have more options to distribute the ball.

if we put Jr Smith at SG then Jeffries has to replace Statue to balance it out

Lin Melo Smith... all scorers and Jeffries and Chandler defending and rebounds

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    I don't really agree with this I think it adds more pressure to Lin in the starting lineup. Lin already has to worry about feeding Melo and Amare I think thats one of the main reason he looks so tentative to start games adding Smith to the starting lineup just takes more away from his game and makes him think theres another guy I have to constantly make sure gets touches.

Plus JR brings a nice spark off the bench

I'd rather have Shump and Davis as the starting back court
    Nope.

JR Smith spreads the floor. Shumpert likes to slash, but it clutters the offense.

I don't think you understand...

A spaced out floor = best for Amare and Lin. Amare disappears when you have 3 guys producing in the paint or iso. Lin turns the ball over and has to stop his dribble.

JR Smith is BY FAR the best option at SG. Spread the ball out...avoid turnovers..keep the ball moving.

Nope.

JR Smith spreads the floor. Shumpert likes to slash, but it clutters the offense.

I don't think you understand...

A spaced out floor = best for Amare and Lin. Amare disappears when you have 3 guys producing in the paint or iso. Lin turns the ball over and has to stop his dribble.

JR Smith is BY FAR the best option at SG. Spread the ball out...avoid turnovers..keep the ball moving.
    I know JR is the best sg on the team I just love Shumperts D, and think JR can help the 2nd unit more once he finally gets his rhythm