Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will Knicks make run at Deron Williams?

Default will Knicks make run at Deron Williams?

linsanity is a thing of the past, the Knicks milked it for what its worth now culminating with increase ticket prices. Lin cant coincide with Melo, the face of the team, and the other money man. Lin isnt vocal enough to reign in there egos and management cant make the same mistake they did with Renaissance by not trading Lin before the value drops. trade Lin soon and will the Knicks make a run for Deron Williams who would be a better fit then any of there current pgs.

Pipe dream.....we won't

then the only ones who will suffer are the Knicks fans, more losses and light years away from a title.

I hope it does but sadly I know it won't. It's so simple to see. Melo for DWill + Morrow would instantly make this team a contender. Have Lin come off the bench with Fields, Novac, and Jorts. He has great chemistry with that 2nd squad.

PG-DWill
    SG-Smith or Shump
    SF-Morrow
    PF-Amare
    C-Chandler

DWill >> Melo. The roster and system would finally be functioning the way it is meant to and we can go compete for a championship. Lord knows the current roster isn't going anywhere.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I hope it does but sadly I know it won't. It's so simple to see. Melo for DWill + Morrow would instantly make this team a contender. Have Lin come off the bench with Fields, Novac, and Jorts. He has great chemistry with that 2nd squad.

PG-DWill
    SG-Smith or Shump
    SF-Morrow
    PF-Amare
    C-Chandler

DWill >> Melo. The roster and system would finally be functioning the way it is meant to and we can go compete for a championship. Lord knows the current roster isn't going anywhere.

Not a bad idea at all. I would do that trade in a heartbeat + we get Morrow who is a great 3 point shooter perfect for D'Antoni's system. Altough we would still have Amare who is crap, unfortunately.

Once you get rid of Melo, our team will be fine with or without Dwill. Melo for Dwill, only an idiot wouldn't do it. Melo has done nothing to help this team since he was traded here. Melo can be a great player if he chooses. Unfortunately he's not into it.
    He couldn't play with TD, Shumpert, Bibbly, Lin or BD as Pg. He's a 1 on 1 player. When his shots are not falling (40%), he's as good as TD right now.

Originally Posted by InGodsHands
    Not a bad idea at all. I would do that trade in a heartbeat + we get Morrow who is a great 3 point shooter perfect for D'Antoni's system. Altough we would still have Amare who is crap, unfortunately.
    DWill would make Amare better though.

Actually, we should steal the Nets plan from them. Trade Melo for DWill + Morrow then trade Amare + Chandler to Orlando for Howard + Turk + Anderson. Then we would be serious contenders.

Side note: If Howard waits until free agency and signs with the Nets with DWill, look out. DWill, Brooks, Morrow, Howard + the assets of draft picks and Lopez for another top tier player. Damn. I would cry.

I think we have a better chance of finding a star player not happy where they are and a trade that would include one of our star players then to straight up get DRon

We are not getting Dwight & we are not getting Deron. I think some of you are over valuing Lin. If you were to trade him the package would have to be Carmelo & Lin for Deron

Deron
    Shump
    Fields
    Amare
    Chandler

vs

Lin
    Shump
    Melo
    Amare
    Chandler

Team 1- is more organized and Brings more defense, rebs & leadership

Team 2- Brings more... suspense.... i still haven't giving up on team 2 though, except for Amare i rather package him away to a desperate team sorry.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Mar 08, 2012 at 15:44.

I won't say he's crap. As good as Lin has been, he hasn't got the pick and roll going with Amar'e by any means.

Subtract Melo and his iso plays and add an All-Star PG like Deron (who's very good at playing pick and roll) and Amar'e could be a force on offense again.

His defense will never be acceptable, but Melo isn't much better defensively tbh - which has been a huge disappointment to me. I really thought he'd pick it up this season, because he has all the tools. Just not the willingness it seems. Sadly.

I think possible scenarios we could look at are:

1) Keep STAT and D'Antoni and trade Melo for D-Williams or Nash and Barbosa in a 3 team...something like that.

or

2) Fire D'Antoni, trade STAT and hire a more traditional (half court oriented coach) with Melo as the main weapon on offense and a playbook designed around him, with guys like Shumpert, Jeffries and Jorts doing the dirty work for him on defense.

my problem is, who wants Melo anyways? He is like the hot potato, the team game poison.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    I won't say he's crap. As good as Lin has been, he hasn't got the pick and roll going with Amar'e by any means.

Subtract Melo and his iso plays and add an All-Star PG like Deron (who's very good at playing pick and roll) and Amar'e could be a force on offense again.

His defense will never be acceptable, but Melo isn't much better defensively tbh - which has been a huge disappointment to me. I really thought he'd pick it up this season, because he has all the tools. Just not the willingness it seems. Sadly.

I think possible scenarios we could look at are:

1) Keep STAT and D'Antoni and trade Melo for D-Williams or Nash and Barbosa in a 3 team...something like that.

or

2) Fire D'Antoni, trade STAT and hire a more traditional (half court oriented coach) with Melo as the main weapon on offense and a playbook designed around him, with guys like Shumpert, Jeffries and Jorts doing the dirty work for him on defense.
    You're exactly right. We really have two options to build a contender. Either trade Melo for DWill + Morrow, completing the roster to run the system the current roster and coach are meant for....OR....build around Melo.

To achieve the 2nd option, we would need to build a roster similar to the 2000-2001 76ers lead by Allen Iverson. Surround Melo with all great defenders and hustle players. We would need to get a SG like Tony Allen, a PF like Serge Ibaka and a PG like Raymond Felton. We would also need to fire D'Antoni and hire a coach similar to Larry Brown's style. Someone in the Thibodeau or Scott Brooks mold. Probably a 6th man who can explode for 25 pts on any given night and hit the outside shot would be needed as well. I suppose JR Smith could fit that role nicely.

There you have it. Which scenario would Knick fans prefer?

Those that believe D'Antoni's system, particularly with the improved defense, can't win a championship are out of touch with reality. And those that think just adding a new coach will make this team contenders are even more out of touch. And those that think just getting Phil Jackson will bring us a championship do not know the Triangle, or Phil Jackson, very well. Phil would still need a PG (albeit different from the one the current system needs), a quality SG that can defend and hit the outside shot, and a back-to-the-basket PF or Center.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    You're exactly right. We really have two options to build a contender. Either trade Melo for DWill + Morrow, completing the roster to run the system the current roster and coach are meant for....OR....build around Melo.

To achieve the 2nd option, we would need to build a roster similar to the 2000-2001 76ers lead by Allen Iverson. Surround Melo with all great defenders and hustle players. We would need to get a SG like Tony Allen, a PF like Serge Ibaka and a PG like Raymond Felton. We would also need to fire D'Antoni and hire a coach similar to Larry Brown's style. Someone in the Thibodeau or Scott Brooks mold. Probably a 6th man who can explode for 25 pts on any given night and hit the outside shot would be needed as well. I suppose JR Smith could fit that role nicely.

There you have it. Which scenario would Knick fans prefer?

Those that believe D'Antoni's system, particularly with the improved defense, can't win a championship are out of touch with reality. And those that think just adding a new coach will make this team contenders are even more out of touch. And those that think just getting Phil Jackson will bring us a championship do not know the Triangle, or Phil Jackson, very well. Phil would still need a PG (albeit different from the one the current system needs), a quality SG that can defend and hit the outside shot, and a back-to-the-basket PF or Center.
    Do you honestly think the Nets would make that deal? I seriously seriously doubt it. They seem confident of building around D-Will and why shouldn't they be? They have some great young talent, a superstar, and cap space.

I don't see why they would gamble on our flailing star, the only possible upside being that he is locked up for 4 years as oppose to Deron who might possibly leave in the summer.

It saddens me to think that the Jazz had planned to send DWil to whoever lost out on the Melo drama, and now we, after all the back and forth to get Melo what he wanted, have the worse of the 2 players.

DWil drops 52, Melo drops 6 on the same night.

Melo has given us **** after making us dismantle the future we'd built to get the future he wanted. The season's not over, but a this stage, it's Marbury all over again.

Me-lo.

There's no way we'll trade him, BTW.