Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: will Knicks make run at Deron Williams?

Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    It saddens me to think that the Jazz had planned to send DWil to whoever lost out on the Melo drama, and now we, after all the back and forth to get Melo what he wanted, have the worse of the 2 players.

DWil drops 52, Melo drops 6 on the same night.

Melo has given us **** after making us dismantle the future we'd built to get the future he wanted. The season's not over, but a this stage, it's Marbury all over again.

Me-lo.
    I was just pondering this very nugget of reality earlier; it coincided with my dick instantly becoming as soft and shriveled as a misshapen spaghetti noodle lost inside a cave.

Ghastly.

I also think we could get D-Will, fwiw. He still is far from a lock from even staying with NJ! Melo is signed....

edit -- lets not forget also...Melo was chill going to Jersey....

Superstar

This whole "lets get rid of any young talent we have for star x" is exactly what got us in cap hell and this whole mess in the first place. Our biggest problem right now is that 2/3 of our front court players right now aren't shooting well and don't really play defense and take up the majority of our cap space. We can keep one and hide one of them on D but not both.

Lin has the potential to be a legit star point guard in the future, he needs time to develop, keep him and build around him. We haven't had a star player that was synonymous with the Knicks since Ewing. Any good player we've had since then was some hack we over payed for or a good young player we traded became a star somewhere else because we got rid of them before they reached their potential.

A better coach wouldn't hurt either.

Veteran

Speaking of dropping our black holes...I mean "stars"...

Was just watching a running clip on Howard...it's crazy how on top of the obviously superior power game, defense, IQ, and overall size....he is so superior to current Amare in terms of his finesse, agility, hops, and general scoring athleticism that was once the hallmark of Amare.

Even his jumper looks superior. Smh.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    I was just pondering this very nugget of reality earlier; it coincided with my dick instantly becoming as soft and shriveled as a misshapen spaghetti noodle lost inside a cave.

Ghastly.

I also think we could get D-Will, fwiw. He still is far from a lock from even staying with NJ! Melo is signed....

I think it's highly unlikely, even though a Melo for DWill trade might be a great idea.

It would probably buy MDA another 6 months/season and well, that wouldn't impress a lot of people

Something has to give sooner or later, the Knicks after Linsanity are now turning back into the joke of the NBA. Forget Championships right now the way we are playing we will be happy to scrape the playoffs. Can we really continue with this kind of record, after signing two max free agent "stars"?

Veteran

Originally Posted by smokes
    I think it's highly unlikely, even though a Melo for DWill trade might be a great idea.

It would probably buy MDA another 6 months/season and well, that wouldn't impress a lot of people

Something has to give sooner or later, the Knicks after Linsanity are now turning back into the joke of the NBA. Forget Championships right now the way we are playing we will be happy to scrape the playoffs. Can we really continue with this kind of record, after signing two max free agent "stars"?
    6 more months...or 6 more seasons (and mass suicide by 90% of KOL )

Ya, I mean, I gotta agree it's highly unlikely at end of day. But, if (big if) we applied an iota of the rabid desire to bring in Melo...to doing a Melo for D-Will + ____ type deal, I bet we could get it done.

Word is that Josh Smith wants out in Atlanta.

I know trading STAT is practically impossible now, but I'd give ATL an interesting proposition..

Hawks get:
    STAT
    Fields
    Walker
    (+ a draft pick)

Knicks get:
    J.Smith
    M.Williams

It works for both teams. Hawks desperately need a change in personnel and have been looking to unload Williams' big contract. As for the Knicks, well, STAT cannot play a lick of defense. Fields has become expendable with the addition of JR and Shump, and Bill Walker has most likely lost his rotation spot.

Again, at the end of the day, this will most likely not happen. Maybe it's just a way to express my frustrations with the way the Knicks are playing lately

^ Like it better if we got Hinrich back
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    You're exactly right. We really have two options to build a contender. Either trade Melo for DWill + Morrow, completing the roster to run the system the current roster and coach are meant for....OR....build around Melo.

To achieve the 2nd option, we would need to build a roster similar to the 2000-2001 76ers lead by Allen Iverson. Surround Melo with all great defenders and hustle players. We would need to get a SG like Tony Allen, a PF like Serge Ibaka and a PG like Raymond Felton. We would also need to fire D'Antoni and hire a coach similar to Larry Brown's style. Someone in the Thibodeau or Scott Brooks mold. Probably a 6th man who can explode for 25 pts on any given night and hit the outside shot would be needed as well. I suppose JR Smith could fit that role nicely.

There you have it. Which scenario would Knick fans prefer?

Those that believe D'Antoni's system, particularly with the improved defense, can't win a championship are out of touch with reality. And those that think just adding a new coach will make this team contenders are even more out of touch. And those that think just getting Phil Jackson will bring us a championship do not know the Triangle, or Phil Jackson, very well. Phil would still need a PG (albeit different from the one the current system needs), a quality SG that can defend and hit the outside shot, and a back-to-the-basket PF or Center.
    I totally agree with you.

Having said that, I don't think the Nets would do that deal.

But rebuilding around Melo is or could be a possibility.

We'd need a hard-nosed, all-round PG like Felton or Billups (who's too old now). Probably Mike Conley?

A lockdown defender at the 2 who can also defend 3s if needed. Luckily we have him, his name is Iman Shumpert.

Melo at the 3 of course.

An athletic PF who is a good rebounder and defender. Ibaka would be ideal, but is most definitely not available. Who else fits the role? Humphries? Milsapp?

A commanding center who's the vocal leader of the team and a good shot bocker, defender and rebounder. Luckily we have him too - jis name is Tyson Chandler.

So a 'rebuilding-plan' around Melo wouldn't take as much as people might think. We basically have 3 of 5 starters here in NY. Our bench is perfectly fine too with Jeffries, Smith, Jorts, Novak etc. Lin could come off the bench.

So this scenario would basically require to fire D'Antoni and his staff, hire a coach who's philosophy fits with Melo's game.

Trade Fields, STAT, Douglas, Walker for a PG and PF who fit the bill and in theory we should be ready to go.

Ghastly.
    hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......... ****ing hell.

Don't remind me, homes.

Being a Knick fan is being a metaphorical big cat that's grown accustomed to its enclosure.