will Knicks make run at Deron Williams?

quiggle

Starter
linsanity is a thing of the past, the Knicks milked it for what its worth now culminating with increase ticket prices. Lin cant coincide with Melo, the face of the team, and the other money man. Lin isnt vocal enough to reign in there egos and management cant make the same mistake they did with Renaissance by not trading Lin before the value drops. trade Lin soon and will the Knicks make a run for Deron Williams who would be a better fit then any of there current pgs.

quiggle

Starter
then the only ones who will suffer are the Knicks fans, more losses and light years away from a title.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I hope it does but sadly I know it won't. It's so simple to see. Melo for DWill + Morrow would instantly make this team a contender. Have Lin come off the bench with Fields, Novac, and Jorts. He has great chemistry with that 2nd squad.

PG-DWill
SG-Smith or Shump
SF-Morrow
PF-Amare
C-Chandler

DWill >> Melo. The roster and system would finally be functioning the way it is meant to and we can go compete for a championship. Lord knows the current roster isn't going anywhere.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
I hope it does but sadly I know it won't. It's so simple to see. Melo for DWill + Morrow would instantly make this team a contender. Have Lin come off the bench with Fields, Novac, and Jorts. He has great chemistry with that 2nd squad.

PG-DWill
SG-Smith or Shump
SF-Morrow
PF-Amare
C-Chandler

DWill >> Melo. The roster and system would finally be functioning the way it is meant to and we can go compete for a championship. Lord knows the current roster isn't going anywhere.

Not a bad idea at all. I would do that trade in a heartbeat + we get Morrow who is a great 3 point shooter perfect for D'Antoni's system. Altough we would still have Amare who is crap, unfortunately.

CalBunny

Rookie
Once you get rid of Melo, our team will be fine with or without Dwill. Melo for Dwill, only an idiot wouldn't do it. Melo has done nothing to help this team since he was traded here. Melo can be a great player if he chooses. Unfortunately he's not into it.
He couldn't play with TD, Shumpert, Bibbly, Lin or BD as Pg. He's a 1 on 1 player. When his shots are not falling (40%), he's as good as TD right now.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Not a bad idea at all. I would do that trade in a heartbeat + we get Morrow who is a great 3 point shooter perfect for D'Antoni's system. Altough we would still have Amare who is crap, unfortunately.

DWill would make Amare better though.

Actually, we should steal the Nets plan from them. Trade Melo for DWill + Morrow then trade Amare + Chandler to Orlando for Howard + Turk + Anderson. Then we would be serious contenders.

Side note: If Howard waits until free agency and signs with the Nets with DWill, look out. DWill, Brooks, Morrow, Howard + the assets of draft picks and Lopez for another top tier player. Damn. I would cry.

petescud

Starter
I think we have a better chance of finding a star player not happy where they are and a trade that would include one of our star players then to straight up get DRon

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
We are not getting Dwight & we are not getting Deron. I think some of you are over valuing Lin. If you were to trade him the package would have to be Carmelo & Lin for Deron

Deron
Shump
Fields
Amare
Chandler

vs

Lin
Shump
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Team 1- is more organized and Brings more defense, rebs & leadership

Team 2- Brings more... suspense.... i still haven't giving up on team 2 though, except for Amare i rather package him away to a desperate team sorry.

Last edited:

I won't say he's crap. As good as Lin has been, he hasn't got the pick and roll going with Amar'e by any means.

Subtract Melo and his iso plays and add an All-Star PG like Deron (who's very good at playing pick and roll) and Amar'e could be a force on offense again.

His defense will never be acceptable, but Melo isn't much better defensively tbh - which has been a huge disappointment to me. I really thought he'd pick it up this season, because he has all the tools. Just not the willingness it seems. Sadly.

I think possible scenarios we could look at are:

1) Keep STAT and D'Antoni and trade Melo for D-Williams or Nash and Barbosa in a 3 team...something like that.

or

2) Fire D'Antoni, trade STAT and hire a more traditional (half court oriented coach) with Melo as the main weapon on offense and a playbook designed around him, with guys like Shumpert, Jeffries and Jorts doing the dirty work for him on defense.

my problem is, who wants Melo anyways? He is like the hot potato, the team game poison.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I won't say he's crap. As good as Lin has been, he hasn't got the pick and roll going with Amar'e by any means.

Subtract Melo and his iso plays and add an All-Star PG like Deron (who's very good at playing pick and roll) and Amar'e could be a force on offense again.

His defense will never be acceptable, but Melo isn't much better defensively tbh - which has been a huge disappointment to me. I really thought he'd pick it up this season, because he has all the tools. Just not the willingness it seems. Sadly.

I think possible scenarios we could look at are:

1) Keep STAT and D'Antoni and trade Melo for D-Williams or Nash and Barbosa in a 3 team...something like that.

or

2) Fire D'Antoni, trade STAT and hire a more traditional (half court oriented coach) with Melo as the main weapon on offense and a playbook designed around him, with guys like Shumpert, Jeffries and Jorts doing the dirty work for him on defense.

You're exactly right. We really have two options to build a contender. Either trade Melo for DWill + Morrow, completing the roster to run the system the current roster and coach are meant for....OR....build around Melo.

To achieve the 2nd option, we would need to build a roster similar to the 2000-2001 76ers lead by Allen Iverson. Surround Melo with all great defenders and hustle players. We would need to get a SG like Tony Allen, a PF like Serge Ibaka and a PG like Raymond Felton. We would also need to fire D'Antoni and hire a coach similar to Larry Brown's style. Someone in the Thibodeau or Scott Brooks mold. Probably a 6th man who can explode for 25 pts on any given night and hit the outside shot would be needed as well. I suppose JR Smith could fit that role nicely.

There you have it. Which scenario would Knick fans prefer?

Those that believe D'Antoni's system, particularly with the improved defense, can't win a championship are out of touch with reality. And those that think just adding a new coach will make this team contenders are even more out of touch. And those that think just getting Phil Jackson will bring us a championship do not know the Triangle, or Phil Jackson, very well. Phil would still need a PG (albeit different from the one the current system needs), a quality SG that can defend and hit the outside shot, and a back-to-the-basket PF or Center.

smokes

Huge Member
You're exactly right. We really have two options to build a contender. Either trade Melo for DWill + Morrow, completing the roster to run the system the current roster and coach are meant for....OR....build around Melo.

To achieve the 2nd option, we would need to build a roster similar to the 2000-2001 76ers lead by Allen Iverson. Surround Melo with all great defenders and hustle players. We would need to get a SG like Tony Allen, a PF like Serge Ibaka and a PG like Raymond Felton. We would also need to fire D'Antoni and hire a coach similar to Larry Brown's style. Someone in the Thibodeau or Scott Brooks mold. Probably a 6th man who can explode for 25 pts on any given night and hit the outside shot would be needed as well. I suppose JR Smith could fit that role nicely.

There you have it. Which scenario would Knick fans prefer?

Those that believe D'Antoni's system, particularly with the improved defense, can't win a championship are out of touch with reality. And those that think just adding a new coach will make this team contenders are even more out of touch. And those that think just getting Phil Jackson will bring us a championship do not know the Triangle, or Phil Jackson, very well. Phil would still need a PG (albeit different from the one the current system needs), a quality SG that can defend and hit the outside shot, and a back-to-the-basket PF or Center.

Do you honestly think the Nets would make that deal? I seriously seriously doubt it. They seem confident of building around D-Will and why shouldn't they be? They have some great young talent, a superstar, and cap space.

I don't see why they would gamble on our flailing star, the only possible upside being that he is locked up for 4 years as oppose to Deron who might possibly leave in the summer.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It saddens me to think that the Jazz had planned to send DWil to whoever lost out on the Melo drama, and now we, after all the back and forth to get Melo what he wanted, have the worse of the 2 players.

DWil drops 52, Melo drops 6 on the same night.

Melo has given us shit after making us dismantle the future we'd built to get the future he wanted. The season's not over, but a this stage, it's Marbury all over again.

Me-lo.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;216235 said:
It saddens me to think that the Jazz had planned to send DWil to whoever lost out on the Melo drama, and now we, after all the back and forth to get Melo what he wanted, have the worse of the 2 players.

DWil drops 52, Melo drops 6 on the same night.

Melo has given us shit after making us dismantle the future we'd built to get the future he wanted. The season's not over, but a this stage, it's Marbury all over again.

Me-lo.

I was just pondering this very nugget of reality earlier; it coincided with my dick instantly becoming as soft and shriveled as a misshapen spaghetti noodle lost inside a cave.

Ghastly.

I also think we could get D-Will, fwiw. He still is far from a lock from even staying with NJ! Melo is signed....

edit -- lets not forget also...Melo was chill going to Jersey....

Forrest17

Rotation player
This whole "lets get rid of any young talent we have for star x" is exactly what got us in cap hell and this whole mess in the first place. Our biggest problem right now is that 2/3 of our front court players right now aren't shooting well and don't really play defense and take up the majority of our cap space. We can keep one and hide one of them on D but not both.

Lin has the potential to be a legit star point guard in the future, he needs time to develop, keep him and build around him. We haven't had a star player that was synonymous with the Knicks since Ewing. Any good player we've had since then was some hack we over payed for or a good young player we traded became a star somewhere else because we got rid of them before they reached their potential.

A better coach wouldn't hurt either.

iSaYughh

Starter
Speaking of dropping our black holes...I mean "stars"...

Was just watching a running clip on Howard...it's crazy how on top of the obviously superior power game, defense, IQ, and overall size....he is so superior to current Amare in terms of his finesse, agility, hops, and general scoring athleticism that was once the hallmark of Amare.

Even his jumper looks superior. Smh.

smokes

Huge Member
I was just pondering this very nugget of reality earlier; it coincided with my dick instantly becoming as soft and shriveled as a misshapen spaghetti noodle lost inside a cave.

Ghastly.

I also think we could get D-Will, fwiw. He still is far from a lock from even staying with NJ! Melo is signed....

edit -- lets not forget also...Melo was chill going to Jersey....

I think it's highly unlikely, even though a Melo for DWill trade might be a great idea.

It would probably buy MDA another 6 months/season and well, that wouldn't impress a lot of people :lol:

Something has to give sooner or later, the Knicks after Linsanity are now turning back into the joke of the NBA. Forget Championships right now the way we are playing we will be happy to scrape the playoffs. Can we really continue with this kind of record, after signing two max free agent "stars"?

iSaYughh

Starter
I think it's highly unlikely, even though a Melo for DWill trade might be a great idea.

It would probably buy MDA another 6 months/season and well, that wouldn't impress a lot of people :lol:

Something has to give sooner or later, the Knicks after Linsanity are now turning back into the joke of the NBA. Forget Championships right now the way we are playing we will be happy to scrape the playoffs. Can we really continue with this kind of record, after signing two max free agent "stars"?

6 more months...or 6 more seasons (and mass suicide by 90% of KOL :lol:)

Ya, I mean, I gotta agree it's highly unlikely at end of day. But, if (big if) we applied an iota of the rabid desire to bring in Melo...to doing a Melo for D-Will + ____ type deal, I bet we could get it done.