Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: D'antoni Offensive Philosophy Researched/The Problem With Carmelo And Amar

Originally Posted by Red

No savvy veteran RESPECTS D'Antoni.
    Why should they, when he treats his players the way he does in interviews, talks about them like they are slaves.. like what he said about TD???

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I get it, and I agree. The team does need to play inside-out. If STAT can provide a solid, consistent low post game, then we're a coach away from having a spectacular starting 5.

He's going to need an array of moves down there tho. He's gonna have to be able to face up and shoot, develop a Dirk/Kobe-esque fallaway jumper, and pose enough of a threat to get those occasional "two-hand" fouls when his man is unsure of what the hell is going on and the help isn't coming. Some sort of push, hook, etc. shot would be invaluable too. We already know he has the athleticism and coordination to get to the rim, but you gotta keep the defense honest with something else as well. Plus when he's 33, he's not gonna be driving and elevating the way he can now.

He's also gonna have to take care of the ball better, know when to kick it out, re-post, and demand it back.

He already has a serviceable jumper, it's not out of the realm that he develops a post game you can operate an entire offense around. But it's time sensitive too. If we get another coach, and it's not materializing, what are we going to do with a 30 year old Amar'e, making $19M?
    Spot on, Karl Malone did'nt have a whole bunch of post moves but the one's he did have were unguardable including his baby fade in the post, Amar'e plays just like him except for a few post moves to fall back on.

Like a few ppl said the OP was a very well thought out and detailed post analyzing Phoenix's offense.

But like others said also you can't over haul the team for a coach's system.

STAT's lack of a back to the basket game def hurts the Knicks a lot idk why they don't clear out the post more often and let Melo go to work he has a great post game.

I would love to see what someone like Jeff Van Gundy or Doc Rivers could do with this team, because you shouldn't be bad with this much talent it has to be the coach and the almost nonchalant structureless atmosphere he creates. There's a reason this guy could never win with those great Phoenix teams.

But Amare needs to go work with Hakeem for like 2 months over the off season to develop some back to the basket game like Dwight and Lebron did. Because the older he gets the more those moves are useful since his explosion is gonna keep diminishing.
    Last edited by NYCLakerfan; Mar 09, 2012 at 22:23.

Just I like said, he was in a team without a center, just like the Knick's tonight. The Suns was just Knick's tonight, lots offensive, not defense. Again, without Chandler in the middle and no defense, you don't win games.

I really really want Stat to play well, but you gotta play some D!

Originally Posted by Red
    Boy I tell ya!

We can overanalyze or we can keep it simple stupid.

1. This ain't Pheonix

2. No one currently on our team, or used to be is Steve Nash.

As Danny Ainge put it "Bird and McHale aren't walking through those doors to help you"

3. Whatever system you want to call it:

A) is unprooven
    B) increases negative stats just as accentuates some positives
    C) was run "best" with a squad 99% different from our current squad

4. When we had more "role" players ala Felton & Gallo etc...
    WE WERE STILL NEXT TO LAST IN THE LEAGUE IN BOTH DEFENSE & REBOUNDING. Do you get that?

Let me repeat for those sucking Gallo off....

WE DIDN'T FIELD A CHAMPIONSHIP NOR SERIOUS PLAYOFF CALIBER TEAM BECAUSE OUR DEFENSE AND REBOUNDING WERE TOO POOR THEN.

5. Almost EVERY player we had prior to this year PLAYED OUT OF POSITION!

6. The only semi-legit argument anyone could present with minimal validity was the player argument.

We'll guess what you f*cking in denial unrealistic fantasizers...

Your beloved coached just proved he's way in over his head.

It takes a special coach to:

1. Recognize a player's/team's weaknesses and develop them to the point where they no longer exist.

Many of our players can't nor couldn't play defense with consistency. Has D'Antoni proved he could change that? No

2. Be successful in New York City
    D'Antoni is SUB .500, is that your opinion of success? No

3. Coach the many ego's and talents of stars or higher talented players. D'Antoni has proven he can't influence the synergy needed for that to happen.

4. Know when he's wrong. Do I have to list the many players with the same if not better skill set that he DNP'd for his personal reasons like a bitch? No

5. Game plan specific. Have we witnessed a game plan to stop a specific player like teams with better coaches have done to us? No

6. Get the best out of his team. Besides PG's whom I may add have had the most injuries due to overue, who has D'Antoni made better?

7. Motivate. The key here is consistency. D'Antoni has been consistently inconsistent.

You guy's remind me of weak minded losers who talk themselves into staying with a Bitch because she cooks great. Please n!gga. I never settle.

Especially for mediocrity! No

D'Antoni is amongst thehighest paid coaches in the league. DO US ALL A F*CKING FAVOR AND EXPLAIN WHY HE SHOULD BE. If not then stfu.

No offense to the thread starter. A for effort but Fail for revisiting PHX as if that was a blueprint for success.

Spot on. D'Antoni is the problem. It really sucks he can't even motivate Stat, a player he's coached for his entire career. MDA really needs to GTFO NY. I can't wait to get a new coach and new system that FOCUSES ON D!

Originally Posted by red32
    Just I like said, he was in a team without a center, just like the Knick's tonight. The Suns was just Knick's tonight, lots offensive, not defense. Again, without Chandler in the middle and no defense, you don't win games.

I really really want Stat to play well, but you gotta play some D!
    STAT has yet to play with a coach that really focuses on D and tries to make him develop a post game, it's gonna be interesting to see what this dope lineup would be like with a new coach next season.

Would JVG make a difference with this group?

Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    Would JVG make a difference with this group?
    F yeah he would. He probably doesn't want to come back to NY though...At least it didn't sound like it on his broadcasts.

Originally Posted by KingofNy
    F yeah he would. He probably doesn't want to come back to NY though...At least it didn't sound like it on his broadcasts.
    It's all about money. JVG would make them play defense. I am so sick and tired of watching the matador defense from this Knicks team.

Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    It's all about money. JVG would make them play defense. I am so sick and tired of watching the matador defense from this Knicks team.
    I hate not having a defense. Defense wins championships, offense means nothing if you have no D. Knicks have been hammering that point home with force the last two weeks.

260-270,000 dollars a game should be enough motivation. They need to be benched if they won't play defense or rebound.