Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61

Thread: Advice to Lin

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Advice to Lin

    Since he saved the season so far, saved D'antoni's job to date, plays his ass off, and gets no respect from his star players or the NBA, meaning he is getting hammered more and more each game, I suggest the following to him.

    1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

    2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

    3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

    4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

    5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.

  2. #2
    Veteran StEpHoN_mArBuRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Queenz
    Posts
    3,086
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    He's getting respect by stars... they get up to play him now

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    He's getting respect by stars... they get up to play him now
    I honestly don't see it. I think he is getting beat up too much. Where was Stat or Melo putting a payback on J. Kidd? I just think Lin should prove he is a real player and take charge of his own future, try to be the leader of the Knicks.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Lin can benefit from dribbling exercises and putting on some extra muscle...since he likes to slash alot. He needs to become more durable. A pint of blood lost each game is not a good thing...and that hard wood isn't going to get any softer.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    Lin can benefit from dribbling exercises and putting on some extra muscle...since he likes to slash alot. He needs to become more durable. A pint of blood lost each game is not a good thing...and that hard wood isn't going to get any softer.
    Yes, that is in line with the point I was trying to make.

    Lin is tough, has taken the hits and got back up. I just think he should take charge like before since the other PG's in the league are trying to put him down, they don't want to get beat by Lin.

    Lin has to push himself past the tough times, but I don't see Stat or Melo backing him up. That was my point.

    Think about it, what would Ewing or Oak do to Kidd, etc. if Lin was their PG?

  6. #6
    Veteran quiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    between you and me, Id love to see Lin in a Celtics uniform come time a free agent. with the Harvard roots and all, he would be a better fit with the tradition there instead of here with the Knicks. and Doc is undoubtledly a better coach then Dantoni

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by quiggle
    between you and me, Id love to see Lin in a Celtics uniform come time a free agent. with the Harvard roots and all, he would be a better fit with the tradition there instead of here with the Knicks. and Doc is undoubtledly a better coach then Dantoni
    I could really see that happening.

    Celts must rebuild after this year, they can get big value for Rondo, and Doc could help Lin become a quality PG. Plus, Lin has the good attitude to work around, Rondo with all his talent is a time bomb to deal with I hear.

    How sad would it be if Lin walked and became a star in hated Beantown.

  8. #8
    Veteran quiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    the Knicks are just using Lin for merchandise as much as he is to them to showcase his ability to play in the league. at end of the day hes not the gritty type for New York. and if I were him id leave to, who wants to end up on Page Six talking about how stiff I was at clubs holding a bottle of beer and having my name made fun of in the back pages everyday. New York also has more garbage trash women anywhere in the country and being someone of his religious fervor, its like telling Tebow to play for the Jets.

  9. #9
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by CLYDE
    Since he saved the season so far, saved D'antoni's job to date, plays his ass off, and gets no respect from his star players or the NBA, meaning he is getting hammered more and more each game, I suggest the following to him.

    1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

    2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

    3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

    4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

    5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.
    Not bad advice at all...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Not bad advice at all...
    And by the way....Clyde & The Pearl?, since I am probably much older than you I think you should pay me a royalty for using that moniker.

  11. #11
    Member Newbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    263
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by CLYDE
    1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.


    During one of his interviews, Lin said before he played for the Knicks
    he was always trying to fit in. He's doing that again because he thinks
    he has to. Can't blame him, BUT, as you stated, he needs to "do his
    own thing" again!! AND, the coach needs to allow him to play more.

    Sitting on the bench watching the game only makes him lose his
    momentum.

  12. #12
    Member tkrieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Lin's Commitment to Avoid Turnovers Is Hurting Him

    Originally Posted by CLYDE
    Since he saved the season so far, saved D'antoni's job to date, plays his ass off, and gets no respect from his star players or the NBA, meaning he is getting hammered more and more each game, I suggest the following to him.

    1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

    2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

    3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

    4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

    5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.
    The problem is this would kind of "show up" his teammates..... It's not in Lin to even think about going this route...........

    Someone told me he's noticed that Lin may have lost some confidence....... I think although he's cut down on the turnovers, I was one who thought unlike a lot of players, Lin's turnovers were not really hurting the team- His aggressiveness resulted in high shooting percentages and offensive rebounds, which more than negated the turnover problem.

    I'd rather see Lin get 14 assists with 7 turnovers than 6 assists with one turnover. The other Knicks players were getting open looks and driving lanes in the former case, but not the latter. The team was getting offensive rebounds in the former case but not the latter.

    The Knicks were winning in the former case, but not the latter.

    What's the point in cutting down turnovers if the overall play otherwise hurts the team?

    During Linsanity, Lin was doing crossover moves, reverse layups, hesitation moves, and pump fakes...... Making plays that show up on highlight reels...... Since he stated he'd work hard to cut down on the turnovers, these plays have mysteriously vanished. His play has become too deliberate, and a lot easier to defend. And he's not going to the free-throw line as often.

    Sometimes statistics can be deceiving. In the case of Lin, the turnover prone fearless version beats the turnover conscious deliberate one. Big time.

    When it comes to turnovers, in most cases, it determines the outcome of games. In Lin's case, it has been the exception. Until Lin's turnovers start resulting in Knicks defeats (the team has been losing, but not for that reason), we shouldn't even worry about the turnovers.
    Last edited by tkrieger; Mar 09, 2012 at 18:55.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by CLYDE
    Since he saved the season so far, saved D'antoni's job to date, plays his ass off, and gets no respect from his star players or the NBA, meaning he is getting hammered more and more each game, I suggest the following to him.

    1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

    2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

    3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

    4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

    5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.
    This needs to be blown up on billboards all around MSG and their locker-room.

    The knicks need Lin to demand the ball, demand the shot, and demand control. PLUS keep his dribble going! Can't stop it because the stars are glued to the floor.

    Lin also needs to stop being submissive. If there is an open guy that is HUSTLING and spreading the paint - Lin will pass to him. Otherwise stop forcing it when we all know he is trying to give the stars touches. Stick to the offensive strategy and the ball will find the open man.

    I'd rather see Lin's aggression and killer instinct on full display.

    agree with this post 100%

    One of the announcers mentioned how rarely if at all Amare and Carmelo show they are acknowledging the assists from Lin. Noticed Landry doing it every time.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    Lin can benefit from dribbling exercises and putting on some extra muscle...since he likes to slash alot. He needs to become more durable. A pint of blood lost each game is not a good thing...and that hard wood isn't going to get any softer.
    Agree. I think he did a good job though during the lockout adding a lot more muscle. But he still has a ways to go - to improve his physical conditioning. More legs and some upper body to help with more control - he's getting slammed a lot and its not just his legs that are tiring out but his arms and traps and shoulders and back.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by Newbie


    During one of his interviews, Lin said before he played for the Knicks
    he was always trying to fit in. He's doing that again because he thinks
    he has to. Can't blame him, BUT, as you stated, he needs to "do his
    own thing" again!! AND, the coach needs to allow him to play more.

    Sitting on the bench watching the game only makes him lose his
    momentum.
    I see that too.

Similar Threads

  1. How to be a good father
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 17, 2011, 14:27
  2. Lebron's Advisors/Team Scared Of NY?
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun 12, 2010, 21:53
  3. Official Sneaker (Collection) Thread
    By StreetDreams21 in forum Hangout
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2009, 17:26
  4. Replies: 31
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2009, 11:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •