Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice to Lin

1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

Melo is richer. He can push D'Antoni more to bury him back to Jlin's warm bench

2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

if a team can't even compromise, then they go to hell automatically

3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

simply do what he can do, play without emotion is almost the best way, let logics run the course

4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

Sometimes the angles are horrible for Lin. so if he could kick out, it is already a blessing
    5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.[/QUOTE]

a Restricted free agent. He probably will get bought by Knicks, because unless the Knicks mgmt is composed of literally idiots and negative marketing experts who see no business value nor player value over JLin.

I love the New York Knicks with a passion ! I have since the early 90's where our team took it right up to the Bulls more often than not ! They played with so much Heart, Passion and Determination !

Jeremy Lin is the best thing that has happened at this club in a long long time ! I would have Jeremy Lin on this side before Mello any day ! This bloke busts his arse off for this team night in night out and sadly he isn't getting the support from most of his peers and The Coach obviously isn't doing his job either !

I would build a team around Lin over Mello any day !

But knowing Jeremy and his attitude and his belief in his team mates, I believe if we give him time, he will make it work in the long run ! Maybe not going all the way this year, but in the years to come LOOK OUT !!! I think it will take time, but eventually it will CLICK all of a sudden

Originally Posted by Newbie

During one of his interviews, Lin said before he played for the Knicks
    he was always trying to fit in. He's doing that again because he thinks
    he has to. Can't blame him, BUT, as you stated, he needs to "do his
    own thing" again!! AND, the coach needs to allow him to play more.

Sitting on the bench watching the game only makes him lose his
    momentum.
    I don't know if the quote included him actually saying he was trying to fit in again, but glad he recognizes what's going on if he did. I mean the dude is a humble, respectful guy that recognizes that only a month ago, he was about to get cut, a no-namer, bench warmer so he's try to follow the assumed lead of Melo...which is where the probably lies cause melo ain't showing any semblance of leadership.

Also, I hope people don't think he's just trying to be the typical, hard working, conformist model minority Asian with this 'fit in' stuff....cause all of those preconceptions go against who he actually is.

This is a kid who said his favorite player he modeled himself after was Latrell "my family needs to eat" Sprewell, a kid who's immediate reaction after not getting drafted out of Harvard was quoted by a close friend as 'offended', and a kid in his 5th or 6th start ever at the end of the Raptors game changed his linsanity narrative from 'aww, cute story' to 'the continuing saga of the cold blooded, dagger throwing killer'.

As much as Lin perhaps thinks he's now trying too hard to fit in, it all start with D'antoni and for him to stop deferring to Melo's momentum killing in-game touches and give Lin back the reins to command the floor.
    Last edited by Daize; Mar 10, 2012 at 12:14. Reason: me write no good

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    Lin can benefit from dribbling exercises and putting on some extra muscle...since he likes to slash alot. He needs to become more durable. A pint of blood lost each game is not a good thing...and that hard wood isn't going to get any softer.
    That will slow him down.

Lin just need to work on his ball security and know how to dribble through a tight defense, and how to keep his head up and keep his dribble going.

If Lin can work on his jumper too, we'll have legit B- Level PG.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    That will slow him down.

Lin just need to work on his ball security and know how to dribble through a tight defense, and how to keep his head up and keep his dribble going.

Based on his work ethic and the fact he's in touch with some top notch supplementary training - the Menlo Park training facility - those guys are world class. Gary Payton took him on under his wing. He is in touch with Tebow and Tebow's now partial owner of D1 training. I just want to share that Tebow's work ethic is top-notch. The guy trains like a champ and has been doing so since he was a little kid. First in the gym and last out of the parking lot. The guy will be a great friend to Lin in the future and help him only improve as an athlete with the conversations they do have and I'm sure invitations to train with their facilities and program.

It also starts with how much people like him in general in the NBA and those that are part of it in some-way. Lin is going to get all the help he wants.

Lin will only get better. If you look back on what Jeremy did after he started playing at Harvard and had the humility to return back to his HS coach and ask for real training. The guy has already willingly acknowledged parts of his game that needs improvement - he is only going to get better.

Just adding onto what you said. I wouldn't pigeon-hole him with a B rating. I think he is also better as PG/SG hybrid - He looked really great with Baron Davis on the floor with him. Teams CAN'T double team him if Baron Davis is also on the floor. Also under the tutelage of Baron Davis and others the only way he can go is up up and more up.

We also know he can perform against the best in the game. I consider Kobe the most clutch (i say clutch with CONSISTENCY) of the last 10 years.

Those shots over Dirk and Gasol weren't "lucky". Showed poise and confidence - and killer instinct.

I think he should put on some more muscle though. Derrick Rose is doing great and I think Jeremy Lin isn't going to bulk up as much as add quality muscle that is functional.
    Last edited by kinein; Mar 10, 2012 at 14:56.

I hope he turns down all those Taiwan and China tours this summer and instead spend his whole time training for next season. It is an important off season for him and I hope he utilizes it to the fullest. A lot of doors will open this summer. Train with magic Johnson and Nash.

Originally Posted by blahwoop
    I hope he turns down all those Taiwan and China tours this summer and instead spend his whole time training for next season. It is an important off season for him and I hope he utilizes it to the fullest. A lot of doors will open this summer. Train with magic Johnson and Nash.
    Word. It would be awesome if Magic Johnson took Jeremy under his wing and trained him. He seems to like Jeremy's game and was sayin' he was the real deal long before all the other hacks @ ESPN.

my advice for lin is: quit knicks, join lakers. better money and real stars to play with.

Originally Posted by Daize
    I don't know if the quote included him actually saying he was trying to fit in again, but glad he recognizes what's going on if he did. I mean the dude is a humble, respectful guy that recognizes that only a month ago, he was about to get cut, a no-namer, bench warmer so he's try to follow the assumed lead of Melo...which is where the probably lies cause melo ain't showing any semblance of leadership.

Also, I hope people don't think he's just trying to be the typical, hard working, conformist model minority Asian with this 'fit in' stuff....cause all of those preconceptions go against who he actually is.

This is a kid who said his favorite player he modeled himself after was Latrell "my family needs to eat" Sprewell, a kid who's immediate reaction after not getting drafted out of Harvard was quoted by a close friend as 'offended', and a kid in his 5th or 6th start ever at the end of the Raptors game changed his linsanity narrative from 'aww, cute story' to 'the continuing saga of the cold blooded, dagger throwing killer'.

As much as Lin perhaps thinks he's now trying too hard to fit in, it all start with D'antoni and for him to stop deferring to Melo's momentum killing in-game touches and give Lin back the reins to command the floor.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post But, it was my opinion that Lin is
    trying to fit in again. And, when I say fit in, I mean that he is losing his
    ability to think on his feet and play aggressively like he did because of
    the added pressure of having to be point guard without taking all the shots.

But, who knows at this point. I think they're doing the best they can under
    the circumstances. They need to "learn" how to play as a team. They need to
    to learn the kind of defense that the Miami Heat seems to have mastered.

Originally Posted by Newbie
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post But, it was my opinion that Lin is
    trying to fit in again. And, when I say fit in, I mean that he is losing his
    ability to think on his feet and play aggressively like he did because of
    the added pressure of having to be point guard without taking all the shots.

But, who knows at this point. I think they're doing the best they can under
    the circumstances. They need to "learn" how to play as a team. They need to
    to learn the kind of defense that the Miami Heat seems to have mastered.
    That's cool. Was just trying to add that it would have been encouraging if Lin also voiced this observation cause your take is definitely true. The funny thing about Lin's emergence story was he actually emerged after giving up on trying to 'fit in' and simply played his game not giving a F about anyone else lol.

But I would disagree on your second part. I think some are trying much harder to make this thing work than others. I think Lin and D'antoni are trying their asses off to figure out a way but without more leadership out of most importantly Melo, Melo-mediocrity wiil continue to devour Linsanity.

Sidenote, looking back, there was a red flag that suggested some impending conflict. I remember like during Lin's run, right before Melo came back, he did an interview with Stephan "I-say-words-but-don't-actually-say-anything" A Smith of espn that raised least one of my eyebrows. Melo said two things of note. One was his honest desire to play and follow Lin. I think the exact quote was "....Linsanity. I want that." Saying mainly I want to be apart of the awesomeness of Linsanity. Then juxtaposed with that was at the end Smith asks who takes the last shot. Melo didn't hesitate to reply he did, while conveying it in a manner that was pure ego stroking.

Instantly told me, this could be a problem. I do believe he honestly wants to win, but that showed he still didn't know exactly how to actually do the things it took to win. And at this point, not really showing signs as though he cares to learn anytime soon.
    Last edited by Daize; Mar 11, 2012 at 15:46. Reason: gramerzs

That's cool. Was just trying to add that it would have been encouraging if Lin also voiced this observation cause your take is definitely true. The funny thing about Lin's emergence story was he actually emerged after giving up on trying to 'fit in' and simply played his game not giving a F about anyone else lol.

But I would disagree on your second part. I think some are trying much harder to make this thing work than others. I think Lin and D'antoni are trying their asses off to figure out a way but without more leadership out of most importantly Melo, Melo-mediocrity wiil continue to devour Linsanity.

Sidenote, looking back, there was a red flag that suggested some impending conflict. I remember like during Lin's run, right before Melo came back, he did an interview with Stephan "I-say-words-but-don't-actually-say-anything" A Smith of espn that raised least one of my eyebrows. Melo said two things of note. One was his honest desire to play and follow Lin. I think the exact quote was "....Linsanity. I want that." Saying mainly I want to be apart of the awesomeness of Linsanity. Then juxtaposed with that was at the end Smith asks who takes the last shot. Melo didn't hesitate to reply he did, while conveying it in a manner that was pure ego stroking.

Instantly told me, this could be a problem. I do believe he honestly wants to win, but that showed he still didn't know exactly how to actually do the things it took to win. And at this point, not really showing signs as though he cares to learn anytime soon.

Agreed.

Lin needs to remember what made him suddenly an impact player. Stop fitting in and start playing with abandon - have fun, get fired up. Want the ball, want the shot.

Demand more from his team as well from himself.

Originally Posted by kinein
    Agreed.

Lin needs to remember what made him suddenly an impact player. Stop fitting in and start playing with abandon - have fun, get fired up. Want the ball, want the shot.

Demand more from his team as well from himself.
    Yes, I agree, too, that Lin needs to forget about fitting in and just
    play ball like he did earlier in the season. Like he has nothing to lose!!

BUT, I think the coach has to let him play as much game as possible.
    I think all this switching around is hindering the game instead of helping.

While I think that is the solution, I don't think it's that easy and up to only him to do. I mean, right now, I think to allow Lin to get back to that mindset, it requires either Melo to start having his play reflect his mental desire to win or Dantoni to have a Lin-like 'I have nothing to lose moment' and just sit carmelo.

For Melo, I mean he wants to win, plays the part and act, then gets on the court and is his usual self being all lazy and stacy patterson-like and then becomes perplexed by the losing results. But since he's the superstar, the franchise, the team only follows his inevitable lead.

Which is why I think Dantoni is the only way left, but he needs to get that same, got-nothing-to-lose mentality. I mean, at this point, he's going to get fired eventually, and hopefully he can finally realize that and just say 'F it, if I'm going to get fired, might as well coach the way I know how and go down doing it my way'. Which at first thought would really be to bench Melo Eddie-style or something that incites some lost passion in that man cause his indifference on the court is almost palpable. And it's just simply killing the Knicks, like where pregame anti-depressants will be needed to sit through an entire game lol.

Veteran

Originally Posted by metrocard
    That will slow him down.

The dribbling exercises should help him with his weak handle. As an NBA PG...his handle isn't really that good. He needs to be comfy with both hands and keep his head up. If he gets better at this he'll be able to split defenders with ease and his dimes will turn into dollars because he does have good vision.

I don't think he should bulk up (much), but he should harden up his body more. You can only take about so many of those crash landings in this sport. All he has to do is some calisthenics for a much more chisel and durable body. In fact...this will also make him faster and more athletic. As of now...that soft bod is getting hammered by dudes who almost weigh twice as much as him. He has a big heart, but that will of no use if the rest of the body is broken up.

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    The dribbling exercises should help him with his weak handle. As an NBA PG...his handle isn't really that good. He needs to be comfy with both hands and keep his head up. If he gets better at this he'll be able to split defenders with ease and his dimes will turn into dollars because he does have good vision.

I don't think he should bulk up (much), but he should harden up his body more. You can only take about so many of those crash landings in this sport. All he has to do is some calisthenics for a much more chisel and durable body. In fact...this will also make him faster and more athletic. As of now...that soft bod is getting hammered by dudes who almost weigh twice as much as him. He has a big heart, but that will of no use if the rest of the body is broken up.

He doesn't need Calisthenics and making a more chiseled body really does equate to building more muscle. Your basically saying the same thing without realizing you mean he needs to add more muscle.

He is not soft. He's just much lighter than the other guys - whom have had years to build muscle and develop muscle maturity. You don't seem to know to much about fitness training so I'll give you a pass since you used the C-word.