Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Hire Jeff Van Gundy

  1. #1
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Hire Jeff Van Gundy

    I don't hate D'Antoni, and I don't know if theres been a thread for Jeff yet. Read a couple of people write about him.

    I feel like Jeff can have the same impact Collins has on the 76ers, defensive minded coach who focuses on protecting the ball (turnover free basketball).

    What are your thoughts as Jeff Vandy as a candidate for Knicks HC?

  2. #2
    Veteran quiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Van Gundy will probably only come back to coach the Knicks if Dolan no longer owns the team. no money can sway someone who knows the toxic culture of Madison Square Garden politics.

  3. #3
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I don't see him coming back to NYK. We'd be better off trying to pry Ron Adams away from the Bulls, or Budenholzer away from the Spurs.

    JVG is a nice name that many are familiar with, and there's no doubt his approach is exactly what this team needs, but he doesn't need the team.

    Also, if reports that Sloan could be talked out of retirement for "the right situation," are true...then the FO owes it to all of us to get the lines of communication open, and start selling him on the idea.

    And of course. Phil.

    But yea, JVG would be nice, but I honestly don't see why he would come back here.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    426
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    You know where I stand in regard to JVG.

    His style of bball is boring but effective.

    Bring JVG back to MSG.

  5. #5
    Newbie Knicks#7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I would love to have JVG back. The Knicks have been awful since he left/Dolan took over. Players will play for JVG. But my Rec league coach would probably do a better job coaching the Knicks than our current coach. DONE

  6. #6
    Veteran StEpHoN_mArBuRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Queenz
    Posts
    3,086
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I read somewhere that Nate McMillian is on the hot seat in portland (even after all the injuries he's had to overcome with that team) and that the Knicks are supposedly keeping tabs on the situation because they have him on the short list if possible antoni replacements.. Dunno how credible it is but I would LOVE to have Nate as our head coach.

  7. #7
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    I read somewhere that Nate McMillian is on the hot seat in portland (even after all the injuries he's had to overcome with that team) and that the Knicks are supposedly keeping tabs on the situation because they have him on the short list if possible antoni replacements.. Dunno how credible it is but I would LOVE to have Nate as our head coach.
    This would be a godsend.

    that Portland does something really stupid and fires Nate.

  8. #8
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Good thought, but I think he's done with the Knicks. I'd love for us to hire Laimbeer...

  9. #9
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Damnit I keep forgetting Dolan owns the Knicks...I guess no Van Gundy =[


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    JVG is and continues to increase his reputation as a broadcaster and has the respect of his peers in that industry. I don't know if he wants to leave that cush job that he can make a solid career for the next few decades for a job coaching.

    I also like D'antoni. I think for someone that has to juggle the amount of egos on the team and face the pressure of the NY Media and NY Fans - you want a coach that can keep himself level.

    I also like how he fought with the refs on the brutal kidd foul. You can't help but appreciate a coach that goes to bat for his players when they get slammed and isn't quick to sell-out ANY player.

    I'd rather stay the course, stick to the coach.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by kinein
    JVG is and continues to increase his reputation as a broadcaster and has the respect of his peers in that industry. I don't know if he wants to leave that cush job that he can make a solid career for the next few decades for a job coaching.

    I also like D'antoni. I think for someone that has to juggle the amount of egos on the team and face the pressure of the NY Media and NY Fans - you want a coach that can keep himself level.

    I also like how he fought with the refs on the brutal kidd foul. You can't help but appreciate a coach that goes to bat for his players when they get slammed and isn't quick to sell-out ANY player.

    I'd rather stay the course, stick to the coach.


    D'antoni came here (unlike many who wouldn't have, Jackson included) and has ridden the storm of Dolan, the aftermatch of Isiah, and the NYC media and attitude like a pro, and I'll say it now: a hardened NY'er.

    He also hasn't wilted despite everything, or cracked -- like another HOF coach I'll mention: Larry Brown.

    If we keep at it his season, I expect Melo to make improvements and do what it takes....It's stupid he hasn't already, but I can give him a mulligan. I feel his bball DNA is one where he won't go down a loser.

    Amare looking a bit better, too. But idk how you win a championship with this guy the way he looks right now....his butterfingers alone and lack of awareness in situations can be crippling in tight games and in tight spots.

  12. #12
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by kinein
    JVG is and continues to increase his reputation as a broadcaster and has the respect of his peers in that industry. I don't know if he wants to leave that cush job that he can make a solid career for the next few decades for a job coaching.

    I also like D'antoni. I think for someone that has to juggle the amount of egos on the team and face the pressure of the NY Media and NY Fans - you want a coach that can keep himself level.

    I also like how he fought with the refs on the brutal kidd foul. You can't help but appreciate a coach that goes to bat for his players when they get slammed and isn't quick to sell-out ANY player.

    I'd rather stay the course, stick to the coach.
    Originally Posted by iSaYughh


    D'antoni came here (unlike many who wouldn't have, Jackson included) and has ridden the storm of Dolan, the aftermatch of Isiah, and the NYC media and attitude like a pro, and I'll say it now: a hardened NY'er.

    He also hasn't wilted despite everything, or cracked -- like another HOF coach I'll mention: Larry Brown.

    If we keep at it his season, I expect Melo to make improvements and do what it takes....It's stupid he hasn't already, but I can give him a mulligan. I feel his bball DNA is one where he won't go down a loser.

    Amare looking a bit better, too. But idk how you win a championship with this guy the way he looks right now....his butterfingers alone and lack of awareness in situations can be crippling in tight games and in tight spots.

    I cant agree with keeping this coach no matter what intangibles he may bring, if any at all. The bottom line is wins and losses. For this team with this talent to be under .500 is a disaster...

  13. #13
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    At this point: Do whatever it takes to prevent another dismal season.

    Fire D'Antoni, I'm cool with it. While I think it's not really his fault we're struggling (again), he can't win with this personell it seems.

    Let's try a different coach and if it doesn't work trade the star players.

    We most definitely won't build a roster with D'Antoni players over the next two years, after not doing so for the last 4 years...so we might aswell fire him, because the current roster doesn't suit his kind of basketball.

    I'm pretty concerned right now that we're on the verge of observing another failed attempt by the Knicks to build a contender.

    At this point we gotta try everything to avoid another 5-6 year drought.

    Boy this feels so 2005 again (when Marbury and Larry Brown were here and everybody thought we're a force to be reckoned with).

    Van Gundy, Jackson, I hope one of them can sort it out, because if not the alternatives is trading Melo and STAT and rebuild again around Lin, Shump, Jorts, Fields etc.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    426
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    JVG would've ankle tackled Kidd for that flagrant foul.

    I don't dislike MDA. He is a likeable guy whom I wouldn't mind having a drink with but he is not getting the most out of his players.

  15. #15
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    JVG would've ankle tackled Kidd for that flagrant foul.

    I don't dislike MDA. He is a likeable guy whom I wouldn't mind having a drink with but he is not getting the most out of his players.
    That's right, atleast for this particular group. Melo, Chandler, Jorts, Shump - those aren't his kind of players.

    He needs the Nashes, Joe Johnsons and Barbosas of this world to be successful, which can be nice to watch and awesome at times (see Phoenix 2004-2007), but it's annual .500 basketball with 0-4 first round exits in the playoffs here with these kind of players.

    We gotta let D'Antoni go now and find someone else, he could be good in Minny or Jersey with Deron and all the shooters (Morrow, Brooks, Farmar etc.)

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Hire Van Gundy Thread
    By The Garden '95 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Jan 25, 2012, 22:25
  2. The Official We Want Jeff Van Gundy Thread
    By RunningJumper in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Feb 23, 2010, 06:55
  3. The Jeff Van Gundy Campaign
    By insomniac in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov 24, 2007, 16:59
  4. How about Jeff Van Gundy!!!!
    By WVKnickfan in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov 20, 2007, 22:45
  5. Jeff Van Gundy???
    By jimkcchief88 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 07, 2007, 09:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •