Hire Jeff Van Gundy

metrocard

Legend
I don't hate D'Antoni, and I don't know if theres been a thread for Jeff yet. Read a couple of people write about him.

I feel like Jeff can have the same impact Collins has on the 76ers, defensive minded coach who focuses on protecting the ball (turnover free basketball).

What are your thoughts as Jeff Vandy as a candidate for Knicks HC?

quiggle

Starter
Van Gundy will probably only come back to coach the Knicks if Dolan no longer owns the team. no money can sway someone who knows the toxic culture of Madison Square Garden politics.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I don't see him coming back to NYK. We'd be better off trying to pry Ron Adams away from the Bulls, or Budenholzer away from the Spurs.

JVG is a nice name that many are familiar with, and there's no doubt his approach is exactly what this team needs, but he doesn't need the team.

Also, if reports that Sloan could be talked out of retirement for "the right situation," are true...then the FO owes it to all of us to get the lines of communication open, and start selling him on the idea.

And of course. Phil.

But yea, JVG would be nice, but I honestly don't see why he would come back here.

Knicks#7

Rookie
I would love to have JVG back. The Knicks have been awful since he left/Dolan took over. Players will play for JVG. But my Rec league coach would probably do a better job coaching the Knicks than our current coach. DONE

I read somewhere that Nate McMillian is on the hot seat in portland (even after all the injuries he's had to overcome with that team) and that the Knicks are supposedly keeping tabs on the situation because they have him on the short list if possible antoni replacements.. Dunno how credible it is but I would LOVE to have Nate as our head coach.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I read somewhere that Nate McMillian is on the hot seat in portland (even after all the injuries he's had to overcome with that team) and that the Knicks are supposedly keeping tabs on the situation because they have him on the short list if possible antoni replacements.. Dunno how credible it is but I would LOVE to have Nate as our head coach.

This would be a godsend.

:crossfingers: that Portland does something really stupid and fires Nate.

metrocard

Legend
Damnit I keep forgetting Dolan owns the Knicks...I guess no Van Gundy =[

188267_256787567681481_100000507204512_1068356_316474_n.jpg

kinein

Benchwarmer
JVG is and continues to increase his reputation as a broadcaster and has the respect of his peers in that industry. I don't know if he wants to leave that cush job that he can make a solid career for the next few decades for a job coaching.

I also like D'antoni. I think for someone that has to juggle the amount of egos on the team and face the pressure of the NY Media and NY Fans - you want a coach that can keep himself level.

I also like how he fought with the refs on the brutal kidd foul. You can't help but appreciate a coach that goes to bat for his players when they get slammed and isn't quick to sell-out ANY player.

I'd rather stay the course, stick to the coach.

iSaYughh

Starter
JVG is and continues to increase his reputation as a broadcaster and has the respect of his peers in that industry. I don't know if he wants to leave that cush job that he can make a solid career for the next few decades for a job coaching.

I also like D'antoni. I think for someone that has to juggle the amount of egos on the team and face the pressure of the NY Media and NY Fans - you want a coach that can keep himself level.

I also like how he fought with the refs on the brutal kidd foul. You can't help but appreciate a coach that goes to bat for his players when they get slammed and isn't quick to sell-out ANY player.

:agreed:

D'antoni came here (unlike many who wouldn't have, Jackson included) and has ridden the storm of Dolan, the aftermatch of Isiah, and the NYC media and attitude like a pro, and I'll say it now: a hardened NY'er.

He also hasn't wilted despite everything, or cracked -- like another HOF coach I'll mention: Larry Brown.

If we keep at it his season, I expect Melo to make improvements and do what it takes....It's stupid he hasn't already, but I can give him a mulligan. I feel his bball DNA is one where he won't go down a loser.

Amare looking a bit better, too. But idk how you win a championship with this guy the way he looks right now....his butterfingers alone and lack of awareness in situations can be crippling in tight games and in tight spots. :afro:

:agreed:

D'antoni came here (unlike many who wouldn't have, Jackson included) and has ridden the storm of Dolan, the aftermatch of Isiah, and the NYC media and attitude like a pro, and I'll say it now: a hardened NY'er.

He also hasn't wilted despite everything, or cracked -- like another HOF coach I'll mention: Larry Brown.

If we keep at it his season, I expect Melo to make improvements and do what it takes....It's stupid he hasn't already, but I can give him a mulligan. I feel his bball DNA is one where he won't go down a loser.

Amare looking a bit better, too. But idk how you win a championship with this guy the way he looks right now....his butterfingers alone and lack of awareness in situations can be crippling in tight games and in tight spots. :afro:

I cant agree with keeping this coach no matter what intangibles he may bring, if any at all. The bottom line is wins and losses. For this team with this talent to be under .500 is a disaster...

At this point: Do whatever it takes to prevent another dismal season.

Fire D'Antoni, I'm cool with it. While I think it's not really his fault we're struggling (again), he can't win with this personell it seems.

Let's try a different coach and if it doesn't work trade the star players.

We most definitely won't build a roster with D'Antoni players over the next two years, after not doing so for the last 4 years...so we might aswell fire him, because the current roster doesn't suit his kind of basketball.

I'm pretty concerned right now that we're on the verge of observing another failed attempt by the Knicks to build a contender.

At this point we gotta try everything to avoid another 5-6 year drought.

Boy this feels so 2005 again (when Marbury and Larry Brown were here and everybody thought we're a force to be reckoned with).

Van Gundy, Jackson, I hope one of them can sort it out, because if not the alternatives is trading Melo and STAT and rebuild again around Lin, Shump, Jorts, Fields etc. :cool:

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
JVG would've ankle tackled Kidd for that flagrant foul. :lol:

I don't dislike MDA. He is a likeable guy whom I wouldn't mind having a drink with but he is not getting the most out of his players.

JVG would've ankle tackled Kidd for that flagrant foul. :lol:

I don't dislike MDA. He is a likeable guy whom I wouldn't mind having a drink with but he is not getting the most out of his players.

That's right, atleast for this particular group. Melo, Chandler, Jorts, Shump - those aren't his kind of players.

He needs the Nashes, Joe Johnsons and Barbosas of this world to be successful, which can be nice to watch and awesome at times (see Phoenix 2004-2007), but it's annual .500 basketball with 0-4 first round exits in the playoffs here with these kind of players.

We gotta let D'Antoni go now and find someone else, he could be good in Minny or Jersey with Deron and all the shooters (Morrow, Brooks, Farmar etc.)

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Actually, I think there is currently no other coach in the NBA who is supposed to be better suited for this roster than MDA. Melo, Amar'e, and JR are big time scorers who can light it up for 30 any night. The team is loaded from positions 1 to 5 and Melo, Amar'e, JR, Lin, Novak, Chandler, Fields, and Shumpert can explode for at least 25 any given night.

It's not MDA's fault that both of his star players are struggling because he's put them in position to score based on where they like to get it on the floor. Honestly, STAT & Melo have been getting the same looks that they have in the past, but suddenly they can't deliver. They are actually getting better looks this season compared to last year after the Melo-trade where they averaged 25 ppg each.

To MDA's defense, it is mostly STAT & Melo's fault for the recent struggles. When they were out, we get a 7-game winning streak without an established superstar in the league with MDA's coaching (which was superb during that stretch aside from the 8-man rotation). He was getting former scrubs Lin, JJ, Novak into playing high quality basketball on BOTH ends of the floor.

With that said, if ever MDA gets fired, I'd like Jerry Sloan to replace him. he's basically MDA with his team-based, free flowing offense that thrives on Pick and Roll basketball (i.e. Stockton to Malone, Dwill-Boozer) which should be perfect for Amar'e and Lin/Baron. The aspect of Sloan's coaching that makes him a sure fire Hall of Famer and better overall coach than MDA is that he demands toop-notch defensive effort from everyone on the team and he makes everyone accountable. He's not afraid to confront stars when he thinks that they're nut performing up to standards (Just ask Dwill, lol)

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
No question Van Gundy was the best Knicks coach next to Pat Riley, in my life time. But the league was different back then. Like all coaches, Jeff will need to make adjustments and play a faster style then he has historically.

To me the chances of bringing Van Gundy back are as good as getting Phil Jackson, meaning it aint going to happen. I honestly hope this team makes the playoffs and gets out of the 1st round. Starting over is an admission of failure and will only set this team back.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
If we all donate our life-savings and buy MSG then we can have Jeff back.

Or we could just kill Jimmy Dolan. Either way works for me...